Early comic movies that still hold up?

• 84 results
Colony024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

If the non-superhero ones count, I'd like to recommend American Splendor.

Assumedkilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@assumedkilla said:
@oursin_360 said:

V for vendetta was terrible IMO, worst Allen Moore adaption only behind League of Extraordinary gentlemen. Maybe i would have liked it more if i didn't read the book but man they just turned it into a political propaganda flick and took all the soul out of books and just kept the big fight scenes. :-(

I think V is easily better than just about all MCU movies, Fox movies, Sony movies, and DC with a few exceptions like TDK. I thought it had plenty of soul, there wasn't much action at all, it's more of drama - there's only one major fight scene. The best moments are when he hijacks the TV, Evey in prison reading the letters, her transformation, his flaws/personality, etc. Maybe the source material is way better, but I haven't read it and even if I had I could separate the two mediums. Of course liking films is subjective, but I think it's easily better than most of its peers as far as "comic movies".

It is(source material is way better), and most people i know who never read the book liked the movie a lot. I think the movie is just bad though, honestly besides the first 2 matrix flix i don't think i liked any of their movies. I think the MCU does what it does better than V did, it's like they completely missed the entire point of the book and made a sappy propaganda flick with a tacked on cringe worthy love story. I thought the cast for V was good though, he did a god job with a bad script.

McTeigue directed the movie, seems some people are under the misconception that the Wachowskis made it. Other than Civil War, IM1, and GOTG I'd be fine if I had never seen any of the other MCU movies (I've seen nearly all of them) - they're not bad, just pretty bland, shallow, and somewhat forgettable, which makes sense because they're built to be mass market - so really no heart, soul, or brain required.

Much like with Watchmen, it seems like the people who like the source material for V can sometimes refuse to acknowledge positive things about the movies because they're fans or fanboys of the source material. I've seen a couple of comments calling the movie propaganda, but how so? It's propaganda against fascism and dictators? The movie wasn't pro-anarchy, it was about the people taking back their country from a dictator - I would assume they're going to be a democracy after the movie ends.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#53 fisk0  Moderator

I prefer Burton's Batman over the Nolan ones, and the Dolph Lundgren Punisher movie, while probably not a particularly faithful adaption was pretty damn amazing.

I have a soft spot for some scenes from The Crow, but as a whole, I don't think it's great.

Rejizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Much like with Watchmen, it seems like the people who like the source material for V can sometimes refuse to acknowledge positive things about the movies because they're fans or fanboys of the source material. I've seen a couple of comments calling the movie propaganda, but how so? It's propaganda against fascism and dictators? The movie wasn't pro-anarchy, it was about the people taking back their country from a dictator - I would assume they're going to be a democracy after the movie ends.

I'm a little confused too. Is the problem that the V for Vendetta movie isn't pro-anarchy? Because the book -I think- is very much advocating anarchy. I can understand how a fan of the book might fell betrayed that the movie lost some of the sensibilities of the comic; although, I still like the movie a good bit despite the comic being better.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#55 sweep  Moderator

Persepolis is a pretty great film and graphic novel.

btrdeadthanred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ang lee's 'The Hulk'

Howard the Duck

Spawn

Superman IV

All instant cinema classics

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oursin_360 said:
@assumedkilla said:
@oursin_360 said:

V for vendetta was terrible IMO, worst Allen Moore adaption only behind League of Extraordinary gentlemen. Maybe i would have liked it more if i didn't read the book but man they just turned it into a political propaganda flick and took all the soul out of books and just kept the big fight scenes. :-(

I think V is easily better than just about all MCU movies, Fox movies, Sony movies, and DC with a few exceptions like TDK. I thought it had plenty of soul, there wasn't much action at all, it's more of drama - there's only one major fight scene. The best moments are when he hijacks the TV, Evey in prison reading the letters, her transformation, his flaws/personality, etc. Maybe the source material is way better, but I haven't read it and even if I had I could separate the two mediums. Of course liking films is subjective, but I think it's easily better than most of its peers as far as "comic movies".

It is(source material is way better), and most people i know who never read the book liked the movie a lot. I think the movie is just bad though, honestly besides the first 2 matrix flix i don't think i liked any of their movies. I think the MCU does what it does better than V did, it's like they completely missed the entire point of the book and made a sappy propaganda flick with a tacked on cringe worthy love story. I thought the cast for V was good though, he did a god job with a bad script.

McTeigue directed the movie, seems some people are under the misconception that the Wachowskis made it. Other than Civil War, IM1, and GOTG I'd be fine if I had never seen any of the other MCU movies (I've seen nearly all of them) - they're not bad, just pretty bland, shallow, and somewhat forgettable, which makes sense because they're built to be mass market - so really no heart, soul, or brain required.

It was liberal propaganda, read the book it's way better there wasn't much anarchy in the movie at all from what i remember. Movie sucked to me and i hate it and always will so i'm not going to argue about it and i thought watchmen did a really good job of conveying the meaning of the book even if they had to change the ending a bit. I thought the changes in that were clever, but i think the movie was probably too long but i enjoyed it.

Assumedkilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Assumedkilla

@oursin_360 said:
@assumedkilla said:
@oursin_360 said:
@assumedkilla said:
@oursin_360 said:

It was liberal propaganda, read the book it's way better there wasn't much anarchy in the movie at all from what i remember. Movie sucked to me and i hate it and always will so i'm not going to argue about it and i thought watchmen did a really good job of conveying the meaning of the book even if they had to change the ending a bit. I thought the changes in that were clever, but i think the movie was probably too long but i enjoyed it.

The only thing even slightly "liberal" that I recall is that the movie condemns gay people being discriminated against and it looked like the government blamed the attack on immigrants/Muslims - both of those exist in real life or easily could (look at Trump talking about Muslims). I'm pretty sure saying gay people shouldn't be locked up and the Quran shouldn't be illegal don't qualify as "liberal propaganda". Really, their country after the movie ends could easily be a libertarian type country (Ron Paul, Gary Johnson style), since they probably won't trust government for a while. You disliking the movie that much is fine, it's your opinion, but hopefully you realize you hate it so strongly due to your love of the source material and know that is affecting/biasing your opinion on the movie.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

X-Men 2 is still top 5ish for me, Spiderman 1 and 2 are great except for the horrible protagonist.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

And the Sam Rami Spider-Man films are also pretty great, Spider-Man 2 might be the best superhero movie of all time. Like Batman and Robin though, Spider-Man 3 pretty much has to be viewed as a parody of sorts..

Something about all of those Raimi Spiderman movies don't quite hold up to me, even though I loved all of them when they first came out. The Evil Dead influence is pretty clear on them, especially in Spiderman 3 or the abandoned building fight scene with Goblin in the first movie, but the tone just doesn't quite jive with me. Every time I've seen them, I've liked them less and less.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only thing even slightly "liberal" that I recall is that the movie condemns gay people being discriminated against and it looked like the government blamed the attack on immigrants/Muslims - both of those exist in real life or easily could (look at Trump talking about Muslims). I'm pretty sure saying gay people shouldn't be locked up and the Quran shouldn't be illegal don't qualify as "liberal propaganda". Really, their country after the movie ends could easily be a libertarian type country (Ron Paul, Gary Johnson style), since they probably won't trust government for a while. You disliking the movie that much is fine, it's your opinion, but hopefully you realize you hate it so strongly due to your love of the source material and know that is affecting/biasing your opinion on the movie.

Whether you agree with something or not doesn't disqualify it as propaganda, the movie had a political agenda and used the basic plot line from the book to realize it. It's not about agreeing or disagreeing with it on any political level, it just felt hamfisted and lame to me. Anyway not going to argue it, if you like it fine i don't.

Assumedkilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@assumedkilla said:.

Whether you agree with something or not doesn't disqualify it as propaganda, the movie had a political agenda and used the basic plot line from the book to realize it. It's not about agreeing or disagreeing with it on any political level, it just felt hamfisted and lame to me. Anyway not going to argue it, if you like it fine i don't.

I would have to agree or think the movie is propaganda to begin with to think your statement is correct. According to Merriam-Webster propaganda means: "ideas or statements that are often false or exaggerated and that are spread in order to help a cause, a political leader, a government, etc."

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/propaganda

Usually the idea being a lie or exaggeration to the point of almost lying is a trait of propaganda. V for Vendetta is against fascism/totalitarianism, but a movie being against something doesn't make it propaganda. By that logic Roots and Schindler's List are propaganda. I was just curious why you thought the movie was "liberal", but you didn't give any reasons.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By OurSin_360

@assumedkilla: Jesus christ bro let it go, from your link....If you do want to argue don't send a link and only read the first paragraph under "simple definition". No offense meant but , let it go and move on. And if you want to know why i think it was liberal propaganda look up liberalism and watch the movie again i guess, like i said i'm not here to argue about anything.

And sorry mods, i promise not to respond anymore or keep this going and derail this thread, so don't close it so other people can enjoy the discussions.

Full Definition of propaganda

1. 1capitalized : a congregation of the Roman curia having jurisdiction over missionary territories and related institutions

2. 2 : the spreading of ideas, information, or rumor for the purpose of helping or injuring an institution, a cause, or a person

3. 3 : ideas, facts, or allegations spread deliberately to further one's cause or to damage an opposing cause; also : a public action having such an effect

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#64  Edited By nightriff

I still really loved Superman Returns. Great casting of Kevin Spacey, some awesome action sequences and overall an ok told story. Think that movies gets too much shit.

1989 Batman is still really good, been meaning to rewatch Batman Returns, but I'm kinda of scared as I remember loving that movie as a kid....as a kid. Everything I remember liking, thinking back on it I'm worried tha it will be bad.

Love the Punisher with Tom Jane, again, I don't understand why people give that movie shit. Good revenge flick.

I really like Spiderman 3, its in that "so bad its good" category for me. Its so audacious and terrible that I couldn't stop laughing at most of it, and Sandman was surprisingly a good villian with motivations that make sense.

Tom_omb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Batman: The Movie, with Adam West is still dumb fun. I love the tone of Tim Burton's films. Deco, gothic and operatic. Only the animated series did it better on screen.

I've been meaning to go back to the Raimi Spider-Man movies and X2.

Assumedkilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Love the Punisher with Tom Jane, again, I don't understand why people give that movie shit. Good revenge flick.

Yeah, I can't say I've read the comics but I like the movie... it accomplishes what it tries to do. I still remember him versus Kevin Nash being a really good fight. I liked Punshier on the Daredevil show more, but they made his origin story/family dying way too convoluted.

Assumedkilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Assumedkilla

@oursin_360 said:

@assumedkilla: Jesus christ bro let it go, from your link....If you do want to argue don't send a link and only read the first paragraph under "simple definition". No offense meant but , let it go and move on. And if you want to know why i think it was liberal propaganda look up liberalism and watch the movie again i guess, like i said i'm not here to argue about anything.

And sorry mods, i promise not to respond anymore or keep this going and derail this thread, so don't close it so other people can enjoy the discussions.

Full Definition of propaganda

1. 1capitalized : a congregation of the Roman curia having jurisdiction over missionary territories and related institutions

2. 2 : the spreading of ideas, information, or rumor for the purpose of helping or injuring an institution, a cause, or a person

3. 3 : ideas, facts, or allegations spread deliberately to further one's cause or to damage an opposing cause; also : a public action having such an effect

There's really nothing to "let go" - threads are for discussion, I made a thread about comic movies, and we're having a conversation about a comic movie; I'm not sure why you're so riled up. If you want to stop having the conversation then do what you say and stop replying, it's not a big deal.

Seems more like you're not here to explain your point of view, because you probably can't back it up. Beyond "hey, human rights" there's nothing all that liberal or left wing about the movie. A film having an opinion or two opposing forces and highlighting one as good doesn't automatically make it propaganda. Nearly all stories have a protagonist and antagonist. Like I said before, if someone wants to be vague about the word propaganda (like you're being) then Roots, Schindler's List, The Pianist, 12 Years a Slave, Mandela, and so on are propaganda. Part of propaganda is convincing someone, but these movies aren't propaganda because people (in general) don't need to be convinced that the holocaust, slavery, or in V for Vendetta's case - fascism - are bad.

Nor were any of the movies made explicitly to trick or convince people. If that were the case then everyone working for the government would be evil and unlikable, yet the two cops and the TV host were likable/positive even though they did the government's bidding. The female doctor he killed who apologizes after he has poisoned her wasn't likeable, but very sympathetic. Evil movies like Birth of Nation or Reefer Madness are examples propaganda, or even a positive one like The Great Dictator. I heavily disagree about V being one.

ultragamerockx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Possibly captain america, let me know what you think.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#69  Edited By crithon

Tales from the Crypt Demon Knight actually the most comic bookish movie ever. Not exactly based on majority of the comics but actually set up to be a stylish comic book inspired film, right down to the composition of shots. Creep Show is actually a better Tales from the Crypt comparison, but actually when you want to see just a BAD ASS film of fighting monsters with gross special effects and titties, then this is definitely one fun ride. It still holds up even on rewatching.

The first couple of Xmen movies were never good, I'm like at a point where I'm reminded how when Capcom's first X-Men Children of the Atom game I was worried that wouldn't get the powers right. And now the movies I wish they were like the Capcom games...... now that's what I call aging well.

MikeLemmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

Spiderman 2 is still my favorite live-action superhero movie pre-Batman Begins. Mixed comedy, drama, and action very well. (I may be biased as a fan of Raimi.)

The original Superman is decent just to see where it all came from.

As for animated movies, Mask of the Phantasm has already been extolled, but my favorite is Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker. It's a rather dark look at what could break up the Batfamily, followed by my favorite Batman vs Joker fight scene ever. (I personally think the whole Batman Beyond series is underrated; it's one of the only superhero series to dive deep into topics of past regrets, living up to a legacy, and trying to adapt to a different person under the cowl.)

Batman & Mr. Freeze: Sub-Zero also has glowing recommendations, but I've never seen it for myself.

lead_dispencer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By lead_dispencer

Was predator a comic book? Or was it adapted after the movie? I swear I've seen a few on shelves back in the day.

I will recommend most of what people put on here so far. I never liked the early superman movie but I just hate superman so I hope he does and batman reigns supreme. Speaking of batman watch the animated movies of dark knight returns part 1 and 2. Get over the fact that Kevin conroy isn't the voice and you'll love it. Guarantee

I also loved Thomas Jane as punisher better than the reboot shit. Got that movie was forgetful. Mystery men was a great campy little film if your in a light hearted mood.

Don't watch Shazam. Don't do it.

I know there's haters but I consider watchmen to be one of the best comic book movies of all time. I rewatch it and I find more and more tiny things I missed that just add up to it.

Whoever said men in black that's a great choice too. I like all of them but the first one is the best and the third one I surprisingly thought it was a surprise genuinely. I remember seeing the previews and was like wow Hollywood your getting desperate.

Speaking of will smith is wild Wild West a comic? I like that movie because it's fun and dumb.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

Actually, I really liked The Mask when I first saw it. I was pretty young when I did though. I realize now it's not a great movie. But I have good memories of it.

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Quarters

Batman and Batman Returns, the Spider-Man trilogy.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#74  Edited By AlexW00d

Do we count manga in this, or are we just sticking to cheesey western stuff, cause if we just want cheesey western stuff then Burton's Batman is about the only one I like? But if we count manga I could list off a shit tonne of decent films that hold up - not that I've ever read a single manga.

billmcneal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 6

I still like watching Dick Tracy occasionally.

Avatar image for deactivated-582d227526464
deactivated-582d227526464

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@lead_dispencer: predator is one of those rare instances where the comics came later I believe.

the burton batmans are still great. the artistry of those movies is really impressive, and i think highly stylized stuff tends to age better.

LtTibbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By LtTibbles

Blade 1 & 2

Sin City

Watchmen

Spiderman 1 & 2

The Punisher starring Thomas Jane

The Mask

X-Men 1 & 2

A History of Violence

Also you can't forget Men in Black

adrianroolz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tim Burton Batman movies, The Crow, and Hellboy for me. The Crow is particularly fascinating for me to watch (in a morbid sort of way) because of the history behind it. The lead actor died during filming.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

How has this thread gone for two pages without anyone gracing us all with the wisdom of one Matthew Rorie?

Loading Video...

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

Slightly off from the intention of the thread, but this film is a lot of fun regardless.

Also, I wanted an excuse to expose more people to this incredible thing.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ang Lee's Hulk was and still is awesome.

Yes. Wildly underappreciated. It didn't click with me for years.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

Blade is the earliest comic book movie I would watch rather than playing a video game.

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Crow is fucking great. Unironically love that movie's aesthetic.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By NTM

Sonic Blast Man was a good superhero move based off a game... ;) (Honestly, I thought I saw one when I was like, three.)

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#85  Edited By hermes

@oursin_360 said:

@assumedkilla said:.

Of course it has a political agenda... it is V for Vendetta. You can't make the protagonist of a movie/comic be a man dressed as Guy Fawkes, blowing up the British parliament, and not make it political. The source material was heavily political too (it was a deeply personal Moore comic book, after all). Elements like concentration camps for gay people, immigrants prosecution and British jingoism are all plot points of the comic (the love letter between the two lesbians read by Eve is lifted almost verbatim from the source).

I have some issues with some of the movie changes, though. The changes to make references closer to 9/11 instead of Thatcher's 80s policies I understand; but the whole "we are all V" at the end, with hundreds of people (including the dead child) felt more corny than earned, V was more of a generic Robin Hood type against a totalitarian regime than a man with an anarchic political agenda of his own, the detective's role was mostly removed and the love story was tackled on... but to say the movie has a political agenda while the comic did not is both disingenuous and insulting to the source material.