Easy-ass ways to stay in shape and be healthy.

• 77 results
EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

Edited By EpicSteve

This is sort of a re-hash of my previous blog, How To Stay in Shape and be Healthy. While that blog gave guaranteed work-out sessions that will get you in-shape in a decent amount of time, I wrote that assuming the user was already in some satisfactory amount of shape. Or at least had a goal of maintaining Army-like standards. In this blog I'll detail easy ways to maintain what I would consider an average body or get one if you're fat or pathetically out of shape.  

Let me explain by what I mean when I say "average". This label comes with a level of "you know what I mean", but it isn't as simple as saying "you aren't fat but could stand to lose a few pounds". I know guys that look like they're in terrible shape, but can destroy me in certain muscle exercises. This work-out routine assumes you can...

Do 15 push-ups conservatively and without much difficulty. 
Run 1 mile in 9 minutes. The average person can walk a mile in 16 minutes at normal pace.
Be able to perform 30 jumping jacks without getting winded. 
Lift 40 pounds

My workout routine will not get you ripped or even allow you to lose a lot of fat. This is more for the guy who doesn't have time to workout for real, or maybe you want to just lose 3-7 pounds. Or just get your blood flowing for the day ahead. The total time of this work out should clock in at 20 minutes if you do not run. If you were wanting to start a real routine, it's smart to do this light training for about 2 weeks.

Before we go into working out, lets go over basic ways that can either knock off a few of those pounds you have, or at least prevent you from gaining additional fat weight. 
Keep in mind a diet doesn't have to force you to eat like a bird, but I'm more into taking out terrible stuff instead of eating leafs. 

-Lose the soda/energy drinks. Substitute with water, juice, and Vitamin Water. I lost 7 pounds in 3 months just getting rid of all the soda in my diet. 
-Drink a minimum of 5 glasses of water a day.
-Don't eat the fat on your steaks.
-Don't utilize Ranch of Bluecheese dressing as much.
-Potato Chips are the devil.
-Stay away from hotdogs

Those rules aren't that difficult to follow. You can still eat those cheeseburgers at Wendy's, just don't do it a lot

Ok, now with the actual routine. You should perform this whole workout 6 days of the week.

Start off doing some stretched you're comfortable with. These do these. 

Jumping Jacks:

Perform 30 Jumping Jacks. Keep in mind each individual jump does not count as one.
When you initially jump, and you touch your hands count that as "1", then when both your arms go down to your sides count "2", then when the hands touch above your head again, count "3". After the "3", that's one Jumping Jack. So, "1", "2", "3", 1.  If counting confuses you, do 90 Jumping Jacks without the 1, 2, 3, 1.

Situps:

If your able to keep your feet down on your own, do 2 sets of 30 sit-ups with a 45-60 sec. wait in between. If you're unable to keep both feet still an on the ground, do 80 crunches.  

No Caption Provided

Flutter Kicks:

Flutter Kick for 1 minute  

No Caption Provided

Push-Ups:

Do 2 sets of 25 push-ups with a 60 second wait in between.  

No Caption Provided

Repeat this cycle one more time. 

Every other day you should perform a minimum .5 mile run in under 5 minutes.  

This workout is a good test on your level of fitness. You shouldn't be too tired or winded after the entire drill, but for this routine to be affective at all for you, your body should feel a minor level of fatigue. The exercises themselves are fantastic, so if this is too easy, adjust accordingly. If you have specific questions, or are able to tell me exactly what your body is able to do I can write a personal program for you.

Remember: Hydration before and after workout is key! 
EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By EpicSteve

This is sort of a re-hash of my previous blog, How To Stay in Shape and be Healthy. While that blog gave guaranteed work-out sessions that will get you in-shape in a decent amount of time, I wrote that assuming the user was already in some satisfactory amount of shape. Or at least had a goal of maintaining Army-like standards. In this blog I'll detail easy ways to maintain what I would consider an average body or get one if you're fat or pathetically out of shape.  

Let me explain by what I mean when I say "average". This label comes with a level of "you know what I mean", but it isn't as simple as saying "you aren't fat but could stand to lose a few pounds". I know guys that look like they're in terrible shape, but can destroy me in certain muscle exercises. This work-out routine assumes you can...

Run 1 mile in 9 minutes. The average person can walk a mile in 16 minutes at normal pace.
Be able to perform 30 jumping jacks without getting winded. 
Lift 40 pounds

My workout routine will not get you ripped or even allow you to lose a lot of fat. This is more for the guy who doesn't have time to workout for real, or maybe you want to just lose 3-7 pounds. Or just get your blood flowing for the day ahead. The total time of this work out should clock in at 20 minutes if you do not run. If you were wanting to start a real routine, it's smart to do this light training for about 2 weeks.

Before we go into working out, lets go over basic ways that can either knock off a few of those pounds you have, or at least prevent you from gaining additional fat weight. 
Keep in mind a diet doesn't have to force you to eat like a bird, but I'm more into taking out terrible stuff instead of eating leafs. 

-Lose the soda/energy drinks. Substitute with water, juice, and Vitamin Water. I lost 7 pounds in 3 months just getting rid of all the soda in my diet. 
-Drink a minimum of 5 glasses of water a day.
-Don't eat the fat on your steaks.
-Don't utilize Ranch of Bluecheese dressing as much.
-Potato Chips are the devil.
-Stay away from hotdogs

Those rules aren't that difficult to follow. You can still eat those cheeseburgers at Wendy's, just don't do it a lot

Ok, now with the actual routine. You should perform this whole workout 6 days of the week.

Start off doing some stretched you're comfortable with. These do these. 

Jumping Jacks:

Perform 30 Jumping Jacks. Keep in mind each individual jump does not count as one.
When you initially jump, and you touch your hands count that as "1", then when both your arms go down to your sides count "2", then when the hands touch above your head again, count "3". After the "3", that's one Jumping Jack. So, "1", "2", "3", 1.  If counting confuses you, do 90 Jumping Jacks without the 1, 2, 3, 1.

Situps:

If your able to keep your feet down on your own, do 2 sets of 30 sit-ups with a 45-60 sec. wait in between. If you're unable to keep both feet still an on the ground, do 80 crunches.  

No Caption Provided

Flutter Kicks:

Flutter Kick for 1 minute  

No Caption Provided

Push-Ups:

Do 2 sets of 25 push-ups with a 60 second wait in between.  

No Caption Provided

Repeat this cycle one more time. 

Every other day you should perform a minimum .5 mile run in under 5 minutes.  

This workout is a good test on your level of fitness. You shouldn't be too tired or winded after the entire drill, but for this routine to be affective at all for you, your body should feel a minor level of fatigue. The exercises themselves are fantastic, so if this is too easy, adjust accordingly. If you have specific questions, or are able to tell me exactly what your body is able to do I can write a personal program for you.

Remember: Hydration before and after workout is key! 
HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Too easy, still I suppose it's suppose to be.

Klaimore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Klaimore

But but but... Durgers!!!! Fine I"ll give it a try thanks for this post I've been looking for some good abs workout.

luce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By luce

How about if you're a skinny dude who needs some meat on his bones (fuck you college diet)

Cefferd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Cefferd

Reading this already makes me know how pathetically out of shape I am.

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 17

#6  Edited By Tireyo

If anyone wants to waste money, there is always Jenny Craig or Weight Watchers.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#7  Edited By turboman
@Tireyo643 said:
" If anyone wants to waste money, there is always Jenny Craig or Weight Watchers. "
or lypo suction.
Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By Whisperkill

Staying in shape and being healthy is not easy and requires patience, sacrifice and determination. 

Ace829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By Ace829

Is one Baconater a week from Wendy's alright? I fucking love those things.

Valco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By Valco

Im doing something to similar to your more hardcore blog post, however I have a question. You say that after Basic Traning an adult male should be able to perform 58 pushups in two minutes. Are these done as fast as the recruit can manage, or at slower pace?
cstrang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By cstrang

What?! How is Kinect not mentioned in this article?!

...Just joking.  This is a pretty legit place to start one's workout routines.  If you're looking to lose fat, running (or swimming, if you need something with less impact) is your answer.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By EpicSteve
@Ace829 said:
" Is one Baconater a week from Wendy's alright? I fucking love those things. "
I still end up eating fast food once a week. However try 2 Jr. Bacons instead. But if you're overweight, I would recommend staying as far away from those foods as possible. 
@Valco said:
" Im doing something to similar to your more hardcore blog post, however I have a question. You say that after Basic Traning an adult male should be able to perform 58 pushups in two minutes. Are these done as fast as the recruit can manage, or at slower pace? "

To pass the Army standard, a 17-21 year-old male needs to be able to perform this minimum:

58 push-ups in 2 minutes
67 sit-ups in 2 minutes 
2 mile run in 15:54 min.
Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Marcsman

Too much work. 
I personally subscribe to the 12 ounce bench press on a daily basis. 
One Becks at a time. 
Real athletes can go for the 24 ounce press. 
Double fist that fine German beer.
themartyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By themartyr

This is all pretty sensible stuff. Something simple to do every now and then during the day is to just stand in your room, stick some energetic music on, and run on the spot for one song on, one song off, or whatever suits you. Burns calories and is easy as pie!

NeoGecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#15  Edited By NeoGecko
@EpicSteve: Thanks a ton.  I just do Taikwondo twice a week, but this seems like a good starting point to get myself in some kind of shape.
ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ArchScabby

I run about 3 1/2 miles two times a week, then the three other week days I  use the eliptical for 30 minutes, and then walk on the treadmill for another 30.  I also do 20 pushups every day. I've lost 25 pounds so far this year.  Am I being healthy?

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By natetodamax

This has inspired me to start working out more and eating better. I'm not necessarily fat, but I would like to lose some pounds. 

But eff those flutter kicks. Anything but those.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By MikkaQ

To lose weight (I'm about 205 lbs where I want to be around 180), so far I've just been doing intervals training on my exercise bike and eating brown rice bolognaise. Seems to be working so far. 

Mmmslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Mmmslash

Oddly enough, the hardest thing on that list is those fucking flutter kicks. People seriously underestimate them, they can be absolute torture.

Fbomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Fbomb

Substituting Soda for Juice is a horrible idea. Yes, there's more viatmins, but there's just as much, possibly more sugar in juice. Drink water, and eat the actual fruit--not just chips are the devil, so are fruit juices if you aren't actively burning a lot of calories already.

(Also, I'm using "you" in general. The idea that fruit juice is a healthy alternative to soda is kind of a myth.)

empfeix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By empfeix

these posts should be banned from game sites - where are my cheesy poofs

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By EpicSteve
@Mmmslash said:
" Oddly enough, the hardest thing on that list is those fucking flutter kicks. People seriously underestimate them, they can be absolute torture. "
They are difficult. In Basic Training, Drill Sergeants will typically utilize them as a form of punishment.
EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By EpicSteve
@Fbomb said:
" Substituting Soda for Juice is a horrible idea. Yes, there's more viatmins, but there's just as much, possibly more sugar in juice. Drink water, and eat the actual fruit--not just chips are the devil, so are fruit juices if you aren't actively burning a lot of calories already.  (Also, I'm using "you" in general. The idea that fruit juice is a healthy alternative to soda is kind of a myth.) "
As long as you stray away from the sugar-filled juices, you're good. I typically drink Poweraid.
Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Jeffsekai

But I love hot dogs and chips :(

wavegoodbye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By wavegoodbye

I'm probably the only person in the history of the world to take a video game testing job (a year ago - don't work there anymore) and actually lose weight.  Just take a 10 minute walk once or twice  a day, avoid more than 1 fried item a day, switch soda for coffee and drink LOTS of water.  I shit you not I weigh what  I did in high school.  Did I forget to mention I drink like a fish?

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By zombie2011

Kinda week workout program but i guess you're making this for hefty people, who can't do all that much. 
Also don't forget your supplements for working out. 
<--------------------------------------------------------------------- BSN Cell Mass, Syntha-6 and NO-Xplode.

AURON570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By AURON570

this is an "easy" workout!?!?! O_O Ah well, thanks for the advice and instruction man, I think I'm gonna try doing this!

Avatar image for buzz_killington
buzz_killington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#28  Edited By buzz_killington
@Fbomb: It's funny you say that, because a can of Dole orange juice has more calories than a can of Coke.
xMP44x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#29  Edited By xMP44x

Thanks for the great thread EpicSteve. I see where you got the first part of your username from. This thread is a God-send for me, because I do need to lose a bit of weight. Seems like a relatively simply way of doing so. What I'd like to know though is why we can't eat hot-dogs during this system?

izzygraze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By izzygraze

Do 80 crunches and not get winded O_O oh god... I'm more out of shape than I thought.

MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#31  Edited By MetalGearSunny

I just jog on my treadmill listening to loud music.

swamplord666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#32  Edited By swamplord666

Nice! In my case it's not a matter of losing weight but being healthy and physically fit. Need to get over that initial hump when jogging :( But at least I've started to workout with pushups, pullups and crunches :)

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By iam3green

pretty good.

damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#34  Edited By damnboyadvance

I think an easy fix for sodas and energy drinks are sports drinks. I really enjoy drinking these, Gatorade G2, both during workouts and when I'm thirsty. Powerade Zero works just as well, as it has no calories. But yes, water is always the best way to refresh yourself.

Although I think some people may find the Flutter Kicks a bit tougher. All of this should probably be done one step at a time.

I agree with all of this advice. Good tips, and I'm sure it will help some people get a certain level of fitness into their day.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By EpicSteve
@xMP44x said:
" Thanks for the great thread EpicSteve. I see where you got the first part of your username from. This thread is a God-send for me, because I do need to lose a bit of weight. Seems like a relatively simply way of doing so. What I'd like to know though is why we can't eat hot-dogs during this system? "
Hot Dogs are very fattening and typically small and unfilling. So in addition to that fatty food you're probably eating other things in addition to it.
RankRabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By RankRabbit

Cool, I need this kind of advice considering I've gained 40 pounds in the past 2 years. I usually feel pretty crappy now, extra lazy.

Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Whisperkill
@natetodamax said:
" This has inspired me to start working out more and eating better. I'm not necessarily fat, but I would like to lose some pounds.  But eff those flutter kicks. Anything but those. "
Once I was made to do flutter kicks for 2 minutes with my hands out from under my butt. It hurts twice as bad without the hands. 

My abs were screaming bloody murder
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By ryanwho

There is no easy way. Nothing that requires daily discipline is easy. This is as easy as flossing daily, that is, its not easy, cus it requires discipline. I drink nothing but water but that was a response to some military dental work making me afraid to drink anything with sugar in it. I would never say its easy to drink just water even though its second nature, I had to be kind of scarred for life to get onto that regime. 

dudacles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#39  Edited By dudacles

I'm pretty sure you're the only blogger on this site who writes about how to work on your physique. :p

Personally, I've been working on getting in shape for two years now, and it's paid off. I go running thrice a week, swimming once or twice a week, and work out twice a week. For someone who used to be tired after running after like 3 miles, my physique has exponentially improved and I'm now rather athletic, if I do say so myself. Point is, that even if you're dramatically out of shape and would consider yourself incapable of doing the things Steve suggests, will-power and perseverance can make you achieve anything--just don't try to do too much at once.

m1k3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By m1k3

i do P90X whenever i have the chance. I also bought The Perfect Pushup a year ago. I really dont have much time to workout though since i have other stuff getting in the way.

simian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#41  Edited By simian

I prefer coffee myself mostly because I don't have access to it at work.
Flutter kicks remind me of when my wife told me about doing planks.
My work routine was (we're currently taking a break from each other) similar to that but my cardio is and always has been terrible so I'm happy if I can get a 5K done in under 30 minutes. Average is about 32 min though that's every day including walking a mile to & from work.

Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#42  Edited By Xeiphyer

My morning routine is to roll over and go back to sleep until its the afternoon. I get my exercise from sex in the evenings.

I recommend my training regimen to everyone.

Not with my girl, fuck you.

Hourai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Hourai

I'm trying to gain weight, so I'm doing the opposite and eating as much junk food as I can. It's not working so well. 

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By EpicSteve
@m1k3 said:
" i do P90X whenever i have the chance. I also bought The Perfect Pushup a year ago. I really dont have much time to workout though since i have other stuff getting in the way. "
I've been looking into the P90x, but it's my understanding that it's supposed to break you everytime you workout. I'm not looking for that right now. Nor do I really have the time for 60-full minutes of exercise everyday.
Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Ace829: Yes.

and yum.
Valco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Valco

Planks are utter hell when done for over 1 and a half minutes. Im worried that I'm doing my pushups wrong, as im currently putting out 75 in less than 50 seconds
ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

#47  Edited By ZombiePie

Fuck that shit! I'll stick with relying on a fast metabolism.
Avatar image for comradekritstov
ComradeKritstov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By ComradeKritstov
@luce said:
" How about if you're a skinny dude who needs some meat on his bones (fuck you college diet) "
I'm wondering about this as well...
JonathanMoore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#49  Edited By JonathanMoore

See here's the thing, I'm totally having Durgers tonight.

metalmoog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#50  Edited By metalmoog

Good post.  Thanks for this.  I will try and implement this to bail my "office belly" somewhat.  For a skinny guy, working an office job surrounded by fast food joints gets you fat quick.