• 55 results
Avatar image for osheadiesstupid
#1 Posted by OsheaDiesStupid (231 posts) -

What’s with all the hate? This album has what I consider to be three of Eminem’s best songs ever:

Castle, Offended, Framed

A lot of garbitch on there too (bad Husband, in your head, remind me), but all his albums have had weak fillers before.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
#2 Edited by deactivated-5ba16609964d9 (3361 posts) -

I quit listening to Eminem after Encore. Personally I think he peaked at The Marshal Mathers LP, rampant homophobia notwithstanding.

Avatar image for indiana_jenkins
#3 Posted by Indiana_Jenkins (458 posts) -

The problem is that he's trying too hard now. I'm not talking about subject matter either. You go back and listen to the first half of his catalog and those albums and songs just comes across effortlessly. It was just him rapping about whatever dumb bullshit entered his mind and doing it with supreme technical prowess and a somewhat relaxed flow. You listen to him now and he's just got this aggressive delivery and demeanor that is just begging the listener to be convinced that this stuff is as good as the things that made you like him in the first place. The saddest part is that you will catch a line or two that let you know he still has the technique, and if he could maybe relax a little he could maybe get it together for one more album that's closer to his early stuff.

But you'll never get that because he's just so insecure and listless that he keeps making albums, and him chasing the glory days just seeps out of him and taints everything. That stuff isn't without merit. I think him being insecure and vulnerable is good in a different way, but that kind of material supports one album. He's been riding that line for three albums.

#4 Posted by OurSin_360 (6086 posts) -

Got through about half of it on amazon (got the 3 months for .99cents) and there was like one or 2 tracks i thought were alright and the rest his typical bad pop stuff. Might check out the rest later on but nothing really made me want to keep listening.

#5 Posted by Yesiamaduck (2468 posts) -

The production is trash across the board and he throws so many awful bars around. I didn't think he could sink lower than Encore but here we are.

#6 Edited by fatalbanana (1071 posts) -

"your booty is heavy duty like diarrhea"

That pretty much sums it up.

#7 Edited by ShaggE (9124 posts) -

I don't hate it as much as most, but the more I think about it, the less I like it. He either needs to rethink his entire schtick or get a whole new team of collaborators, because the guy is losing it fast. If absolutely nothing else, I wish he'd just get over the fact that he'll never match MMLP1 instead of bringing it up on every album. And for god's sakes, get some new producers and let off on the pop singer choruses.

Oh, and the puns. They just get worse and worse. Although the one about "I'm stiff as a statue, you sat on a shelf/I feel like I'ma bust, maybe I'm just ahead of myself" was pretty funny, I have to admit. That's up there with "Gave Bruce Wayne a Valium and said I'm ready for combat, man" for my favorite modern-era Eminem puns.

#8 Posted by BrettVandelay (125 posts) -

I LOVE Eminem, but this album was hella meh. There are 3 songs I like on it (Believe, Framed, and Arose). I've never fallen off of an Eminem album so fast. He was cool for a lot of reasons in the past, part of it being that he was controversial, he is not close to controversial now. This new album is about as PC as you can get minus the swearing (which is pretty much PC nowadays).

#9 Posted by BrotherBran (287 posts) -

I’m not crazy about this odd staccato delivery he’s been using lately, is that throughout the album or just on the singles I’ve heard so far?

#10 Posted by blackblade500 (696 posts) -

I have been a big Eminem in the past, and I even liked MMLP2 more than most, but the more I listen to Revival, the more I am not digging it. Songs like Believe and Chloraseptic are more of the shouting that Eminem will do from time to time that I just do not enjoy. Remind Me has sampling of a old rock song like that song off of MMLP2 and I don't enjoy here, and has one of the worst lines "your booty is heavy duty like diarrhea".

I do enjoy the songs that slow things down like River (with Ed Sheeran), Walk on Water (with Beyoncé), and Tragic Endings (with Skylar Grey). I think says a lot about this album that my 3 out of the 4 songs I like off of it (Castle is the other one) all have pop hooks in them to break up his lyrics.

Before this album was coming out, I really wanted this to be a good album so he could go out on one last high note and just go be a featuring artist. I hate that this album was not that last high note, but more of a whimper.

#11 Edited by DarlingDixie (120 posts) -

What's funny to me about the new album are people who would usually be utterly against Eminem's lyrics now thinking he is a genius because he is saying negative stuff about Trump, which is incredibly boring to be honest. I don't need or want an album bashing a president I couldn't give a fuck about.

It feels more like Eminem trying to appeal to new fans by dumpin' on Trump to make up for the people who thought his last few albums sucked. It's hollow and sad. And the album is even worse because of it. So good job bud?

#12 Edited by Vasta_Narada (747 posts) -

After listening to this album I was wondering to myself if Eminem was actually ever good, or if I was just remembering the handful of great songs he had. I went and listened to a bunch of his old albums and reaffirmed that no, Eminem was fucking great at one point. Revival makes me sad. It feels so uninspired, like Eminem is looking for things to rap about but can't find them or can't find the inspiration to make something good, so what came out was some dumping on Trump, a couple throwaway tracks, and some ballad-type stuff. Doesn't help that I'm not a big fan of the pop infusions he's been doing in recent albums; there are a couple tracks that I think it works in, but not Revival tracks. There were some good tracks on MMLP2 (Rap God being the standout), so I was hoping to at least get a couple to listen to, but I don't know that I even got that? Tracks like Framed were fun to listen to, but that god-awful hook makes me bounce off that track completely after my second listen.

#13 Posted by slyspider (1827 posts) -

Rap god was pretty good man. Now I just want to listen to that again

#14 Posted by The_Grindilow (520 posts) -

Even as an Eminem album, it's bad. As a rap album released in 2017 it's shocking. Half the songs sound unfinished, the beats are awful, and my god the lyrics. Surely he knew how bad this was before he put it out, which begs the question, why?

#15 Posted by pompouspizza (1527 posts) -

I’ve been an Eminem fan since the SSLP came out. It’s nowhere close to his best album, but I really like it overall. I definitely like it more than MMLP2 (which I liked)

I think the mixing is pretty bad, especially on Tragic Endings and I think Need Me feels like a Pink song featuring Eminem but I can honestly say that there isn’t a song on here that I don’t like.

I think Castle might be one of the best songs he’s ever written.

#16 Posted by OurSin_360 (6086 posts) -

@brotherbran: it was on most the tracks i heard, although he had one trsck where he mixed it with the tripplet migo-esque trap delivery that i thought was decent.

I really thought he was on the way back after mmlp2 which was quite a decent album altogether imo.

#17 Posted by TreeTrunk (596 posts) -

crap. every song sucks.

#18 Posted by JohnyMyko (1759 posts) -

His last good album was Encore and even that one was already the beginning of the decline. Ever since then he's just been on various levels of bad, with this new album being one of his worst.

#19 Posted by FrodoBaggins (1801 posts) -

I like it quite alot. Still needs more listens but I certainly feel better about this than his past few albums.

I love the transition between walk on water and believe. As soon as believe starts it's like yeah this guy can still go.

He is still the best wordsmith I've ever heard, so many lines and rhyme are insane. He's actually got better at this with age.

The final two tracks are simply insane. What a way to end the album. Some deep shit.

#20 Edited by pompouspizza (1527 posts) -

@frodobaggins: I agree. I don’t think he will ever make anything as good as the Eminem Show or MMLP again, I think technically speaking, he’s a better rapper than he’s ever been.

#21 Posted by FrodoBaggins (1801 posts) -

@pompouspizza: yes I agree with you. MMLP is my fav followed by SSLP and then Eminem Show.

#22 Edited by stryker1121 (2162 posts) -

@bartok said:

I quit listening to Eminem after Encore. Personally I think he peaked at The Marshal Mathers LP, rampant homophobia notwithstanding.

I'm right with you. I listened to one of his later albums -Recovery, maybe - and he makes Michael J. Fox Parkinson's references like three times. His early albums are still great, but I'm over the dude and his juvenile shit.

#23 Posted by FacelessVixen (2431 posts) -

Yeah...

Been listening to Em since The Eminem Show in middle school. The Marshal Mathers LP2 was pretty enjoyable. I liked Relapse and Recovery well enough. And Encore... well, at least Em started his career with three or four great albums. So, based on what I've been hearing and reading about Revival, I'll just trust popular opinion on this one; maybe listen for science in a year or two, but I am not looking forward to listening to this album at the moment.

#24 Edited by The_Tribunal (479 posts) -
#25 Posted by Yesiamaduck (2468 posts) -

His last good album was Encore and even that one was already the beginning of the decline. Ever since then he's just been on various levels of bad, with this new album being one of his worst.

When was the last time you listened to Encore?!??!! I can't imagine anyone thinking that album was good, it has always been widely considered his worst... until now at least. Sure it starts off okay and Yellow Brick Road is great but the majorit of that album is Eminem making fart sounds and talking about going fo a poopie.

#26 Edited by JohnyMyko (1759 posts) -

@johnymyko said:

When was the last time you listened to Encore?!??!! I can't imagine anyone thinking that album was good, it has always been widely considered his worst... until now at least. Sure it starts off okay and Yellow Brick Road is great but the majorit of that album is Eminem making fart sounds and talking about going fo a poopie.

It's "good" compared to the rest of his discography after that, but it's bad compared to what he did before. As I said, even that one was already the beginning of the decline, as in Encore was already the start of how bad he was becoming.

Yellow Brick Road, Like Toy Soldiers, Mosh, Just Lose It, Ass Like That and Mockingbird weren't the best but were at least somewhat acceptable and/or funny back when the album came out, but didn't age well at all (just like most of his work).

#27 Posted by gtb08 (626 posts) -

The majority of my life, I would answer the "top5" question with Eminem in the top spot. This latest album is the most irredeemable piece of shit I've ever listened to in my entire life. The production is completely awful, and his flow has turned into borderline incomprehensible or constant pauses.

#28 Posted by Fly53Corps (200 posts) -

I mean, it's Eminem so there are always going to be touches of greatness. But this is nowhere near as good as his last two albums.

#29 Posted by Barrock (4070 posts) -

Well... that was out of nowhere.

#30 Posted by WMoyer83 (999 posts) -

Not sure if Eminem needs to get back on drugs or get off drugs because this album sucks

#31 Edited by TreeTrunk (596 posts) -
Loading Video...

http://smarturl.it/EminemKamikaze

He's very angry now

#32 Posted by Barrock (4070 posts) -

I quite enjoyed my first listen, but I found the songs about his trouble with women to be the weak link.

#33 Posted by ChosenOne (246 posts) -

Should have made a new thread, I read through half of it before I realized nearly all of the posts were talking about Revival and not his surprise album 'Kamikaze' that just dropped.

#34 Posted by ShaggE (9124 posts) -

Re: Kamikaze. Very strong first half, but gets a little too Revival at the end. And he STILL keeps complaining about reviews and critics.

Still, a very pleasant surprise. His delivery is almost scary good at this point, and the stripped-back feel is much needed. It's a Shady album instead of a Marshall one, and that's all I wanted.

(although if Dre actually wrote any of those beats, I'd be shocked. I'm guessing the "produced by Dre" credit meant Dre the brand, not the man)

#35 Posted by orkosm (7 posts) -

OLd head shit... only millennials will love it

#36 Posted by gtb08 (626 posts) -

well Kamikaze is pretty good! gave Revival another listen and dont hate it as much either. Still though, as much shit as he talks about the new wave of rap he sure does mimic other rappers flows now.

Avatar image for farleyslundgren
#37 Posted by FarleysLundgren (106 posts) -

I cannot for the life of me take Eminem seriously.

#38 Posted by cikame (2555 posts) -

As much as i liked Marshal Mathers back in the day, i was 11/12 and hadn't developed a taste in music, i'm not sure i could try to take it seriously anymore.

#39 Posted by ghost_cat (2199 posts) -

Honestly, Eminem being old as he is and still holding on to this angry shit-talking schtick is pretty trite. Nothing is fresh or interesting, regardless of technical level, if the artist isn't trying to evolve. Also, Eminem's singing is AWFUL.

Lame album, lame album art.

#40 Posted by Humanity (18159 posts) -

Eminem just kinda never got with the times and evolved. The music game moved on and Eminem is still chasing that early 2000 sound. You got so many creative and interesting new artists out there, mixing up genres and spitting good bars, this stuff just doesn't really cut it anymore.

#41 Posted by Haz (404 posts) -

I've never cared for Eminem beyond when I was like 13/14 and just starting to get into music. I can't take him seriously now more than 10 years later.

#42 Edited by FacelessVixen (2431 posts) -

Although there is a fine line between calling people out as a part of rap culture's competitive nature and just complaining, I can not disagree with Em's views on mumble rap. For the most part, it's basic, shallow, the worst of the worst of current SoundCloud rappers are absolutely terrible, rap is truly in a sad state if people legitimately believe these mumble rappers are the new GOATs, and Lord Jamar needs to shut the fuck up, so those parts of Kamikaze really resonate with me. It's definitely more enjoyable than Revival since everything other than the message of that album was not good, but I can't deny that some of the criticism about him in this thread alone is valid to an extent.

#43 Posted by Dichemstys (3902 posts) -

I think it's probably his best since Relapse, I like it quite a bit.

#44 Posted by Godberry (12 posts) -

Eminem's homophobic diss towards Tyler the Creator really irked me with how lazy it , was, especially considering how much material you could get from Tyler's shit-stirring past - his Twitter account alone is a goldmine for this shit! Flower Boy might've just been an introspective side-step and we'll soon see Tyler return to his slur-filled manic old self, but it showed a striking level of maturity and growth which really spoke to me. Tyler's attention-grabbing antics just showed a young, immature duder figuring his shit out, and I THINK he's gotten over it now in his late 20s. Eminem is fucking 45. The fact that a world-class rapper in his mid 40s still feels threatened by critics and needs to reassert himself by snapping at young talent is hilarious and abysmal. Yeah Tyler is gay af...he loves dick. Where's the actual diss Eminem?

#45 Posted by TreeTrunk (596 posts) -

@ghost_cat said:

Honestly, Eminem being old as he is and still holding on to this angry shit-talking schtick is pretty trite. Nothing is fresh or interesting, regardless of technical level, if the artist isn't trying to evolve. Also, Eminem's singing is AWFUL.

Lame album, lame album art.

I think the 'Stepping Stone' song contradicts your point, but at the same time that's only 1 song...

#47 Posted by FrodoBaggins (1801 posts) -

Only heard three songs thus far but all 3 are good. Ringer and Lucky You are absolute fire, the man has only gotten more lyrically impressive over time.

#48 Edited by liquiddragon (3133 posts) -

Heard the album once and liked some of the tracks, which is more than I can say for most of his post-Eminem Show output.

#49 Posted by avantegardener (2344 posts) -

Any mention matriarchal Italian cuisine, otherwise I'm out.

#50 Edited by soulcake (2433 posts) -

The whole concept of the album is just bad from the "lame" cover honestly this cover could have being on any 90's NuMetal band to the bad slurs and "critiquing the critics". And maybe it's time for Eminem to pack his bags and go on a long vacation. If it weren't for all the fans he got he would have probably stopped by now.