Emulating Super Street Fighter II Turbo - Help!

8bitavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hey Bombardiers,

I have been trying to get Super Street Fighter II Turbo running on a PC to play with a buddy at work. I want to get the PC (DOS) or Arcade version working because the console versions don't have a super bar & super moves.

I tried downloading MAME, the ROM, BIOS, and g-sound or w/e and had 0 luck. Tried an older version of MAME to match the BIOS version as well. No luck.

I got DOSBOX set up and configured, and can launch and play the game there, but there's no sound (Win 10, no special sound or video card if that matters.)

Anyone have any experience and/or advice on how to get either of these working? I've done a whole lot of searching around on the internet for MAME guides and more specific searches on my issues but I'm not finding solutions. HELP!

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

Get Fightcade and use the emulator that is housed in it (FinalBurn Alpha: ggpofba). Fightcade's menu for ST has what you need to get the game to work. You do need to register to login to the service and find the ST menu. As long as you read it carefully, it's an easy process.

Not the most accurate due to FBA's minute speed inaccuracies compared to actual CPS2 hardware but very playable. Also you can play it online against others.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#3  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

When it comes to DosBox you may want to try different CPU cycle settings (ctrl-f11 to make the emulation slower and ctrl-f12 to make it faster), some games tied the sound code to that stuff, and if the cycles are wrong no sound will play (sometimes the game needs to be launched with the right cycle settings in order for the sound to initialize at all).

Look at the system requirements for the original DOS release and try to set up DosBox to simulate their recommended computer as close as possible. There are some settings you can do to make it emulate specific CPU's like the 386, 486 and Pentium with details available here: https://www.dosbox.com/wiki/Configuration:CPU

8bitavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

8bitavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thephantomnaut: Would Fightcade / FinalBurn Alpha: ggpofba run on an integrated Intel chip? I think the PC I'm trying to get it to run on is Intel 520 or 530.

LtGrimdark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@8bitavenger: FinalBurn is pretty modest when it comes to your hardware. I used to run it many years ago on an Athlon K7 clocked at 800 MHz without any problems or slowdown :)