English drives me to replay old games

kardon16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By kardon16

When I was kid i lived in mexico, my parents gave me a NES when i was merely 4 years old  followed by the super nintendo a few years later. I always asked my dad to buy mario games whenever he traveled to the Texas (which is was 4 hours from my city, Ciudad Victoria) and so I spend much of my childhood playing a lot of games without knowing any English as the only english words were "retry" and "quit" and skipping story intros. 
Everything was fine until my dad bought "Mario RPG the legend of the seven stars" I didnt knew what an RPG was. You can imagine how difficult beating that game was (I usually just talked to every single NPC multiple times until I could progress through the story). I gave up on the game. As years passed my english got better and I followed playing games on N64 GameCube, etc. Now I live in the US, speak fluent english and (ironically) I love to play rpgs. A few months ago my aunt  told me that she had "el nientiendo" stored in a box, she was referring to the SNES, I took it home and started to replay of the games which not only I enjoy because of the nostalgia but the fact that I most of the games have amazing stories that i didnt knew anything about like megaman x and its sequels it felt like playing a new game. I decided to play Mario RPG only to discover an amazing game with a lot of humor and references. I can't wait to play more games :) (the original StarCraft is next on my list)
So I guess i just wanted to share my story and hear your comments. Anyone with a similar background?

kardon16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By kardon16

When I was kid i lived in mexico, my parents gave me a NES when i was merely 4 years old  followed by the super nintendo a few years later. I always asked my dad to buy mario games whenever he traveled to the Texas (which is was 4 hours from my city, Ciudad Victoria) and so I spend much of my childhood playing a lot of games without knowing any English as the only english words were "retry" and "quit" and skipping story intros. 
Everything was fine until my dad bought "Mario RPG the legend of the seven stars" I didnt knew what an RPG was. You can imagine how difficult beating that game was (I usually just talked to every single NPC multiple times until I could progress through the story). I gave up on the game. As years passed my english got better and I followed playing games on N64 GameCube, etc. Now I live in the US, speak fluent english and (ironically) I love to play rpgs. A few months ago my aunt  told me that she had "el nientiendo" stored in a box, she was referring to the SNES, I took it home and started to replay of the games which not only I enjoy because of the nostalgia but the fact that I most of the games have amazing stories that i didnt knew anything about like megaman x and its sequels it felt like playing a new game. I decided to play Mario RPG only to discover an amazing game with a lot of humor and references. I can't wait to play more games :) (the original StarCraft is next on my list)
So I guess i just wanted to share my story and hear your comments. Anyone with a similar background?

goodwood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By goodwood

Welcome to America, stay out of Arizona and keep two forms of ID on you.

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By meteora

That's a pretty neat story, pretty cool that you have some reasons to play games from the older generation.

I don't think I've ever had a similar experience, not any that I can recall.

kardon16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By kardon16
@goodwood: lol i was born in the US but yeah my parents are from mexico so they are not US citizens
bravetoaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By bravetoaster

When you didn't know English, did you make up stories for each game?

Icil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Icil

Cool story, bro. 

Seriously, I mean it. Always glad to see video games helping us relive those moments =)

dillonwerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By dillonwerner

Welcome to America, go be like Niko Belic

kardon16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By kardon16
'@Axxol: yeah me and friends would argue over what was goin on on games like -"hey ryu and ken must be brothers,"lol
Clinkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Clinkz

Glad you got to play Super Mario RPG. That game is amazing. In fact, every single Mario RPG ever made is barring Super Paper Mario as I never played it.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#10  Edited By Video_Game_King

I've been trying the same thing with Japanese, mainly because I haven't checked that box off on my nerd card yet. I'd probably be able to learn it if I wasn't so lazy :P. As for the games I've beaten in that language, walkthroughs help a lot,

iKANNIBAL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By iKANNIBAL

No can't say that i have experienced anything similiar, being born in Canada, an english speaking country, and basicaly an American state (with better education), and having an American mother, going back and fourth to California until living there permanently......well you get the picture D:

kardon16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By kardon16
@Video_Game_King: i would love to learm japanese to man 
Tricks73r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Tricks73r
@Icil said:
" Cool story, bro.  Seriously, I mean it. Always glad to see video games helping us relive those moments =) "
Usually don't quote personal responses, but - this.
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#14  Edited By Video_Game_King
@kardon16 said:
" @Video_Game_King: i would love to learm japanese to man  "
Same here, that's why I'm playing games that are in Japanese....and not really learning the language, because you don't do things that way :P.
VisariLoyalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By VisariLoyalist

cool story bro