Ethnic diversity or Assimilation?

Jolly_Lolly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Jolly_Lolly

This is my current English class topic, and found it frightening how many individuals either don't know or just don't care about this topic.  

Basically, do you think ethnic diversity is good for the world, or do you think everyone should "melt" together and speak the same language, eat the same food, etc.?  

Assimilation was George Washington's original plan for the United States. He said,  "Once the immigrants see how we live life here, they will learn, adapt, and become like us Americans." (This isn't the verbatim quote, but that's the jist of it).  

Here is some informational for those that don't know or understand about this topic: 

• On every side today, ethnicity is breaking up nations. India, Yugoslavia, Ethiopia, are all in crisis. Ethnic tensions disturb and divide Sri Lanka, Burma, Indonesia, Iraq, Cyprus, Nigeria, Angolia, Lebanon, Guyana, and Trinidad. 
  • Even stable nations have suffered from ethnic tensions, such as Britain, France, Belgium and Spain. 
  • Most American born members of minority groups, white or nonwhite, see themselves primarily as Americans rather than primarily as members of one or another ethnic group. 
  • Assimilation was George Washington's original plan for the United States. He said,  "Once the immigrants see how we live life here, they will learn, adapt, and become like us Americans." (This isn't the verbatim quote, but that's the jist of it).  

I am aware that this information is primarily pro-assimilation, but since everyone already knows the meaning of ethnicity, I thought I'd share some light on the other half of the argument. 

Where does Giant Bomb stand?  
breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By breadfan

The post is blank

Jolly_Lolly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Jolly_Lolly
@Br3adfan said:
" The post is blank "
It's up now.
Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#4  Edited By Claude

The more diversity the better, go for it, mix those genes, change the world.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#5  Edited By breadfan

I think diversity around the world is pretty much a positive thing, though the expected clash of ideas can be an issue. 

If everyone followed the same ideals or held the same beliefs the world would be a boring place.

jonnyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By jonnyboy

Diversity proliferates human nature, Human nature defines us.

artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By artofwar420

I think things should be left on their own to go on their natural path. However I predict we will reach a sort of homogenization in the world, but then each part of the world will again acquire independent cultural values and ethnicity. Kind of like a yo-yo. So, I don't think we'll ever reach complete diversity or complete assimilation. Of course I'd say this is a cycle that lasts a few thousand years.

Or it could be the peyote talking here.

Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By Black_Rose
@Br3adfan said:
" I think diversity around the world is pretty much a positive thing, though the expected clash of ideas can be an issue.  If everyone followed the same ideals or held the same beliefs the world would be a boring place. "
My thoughts exactly
Avatar image for kitsune_conundrum
kitsune_conundrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By kitsune_conundrum

Integration is inevitable. The question is just how long would it take and how much blood will be shed.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By Diamond

I like diversity on a personal level.  If you think about it in a emotional way you realize you wouldn't want to do or see the same exact thing every day anyways.  Imagine if everyone looked the same?

To take it to a scientific level, diversity is absolutely vital for the survival of lifeforms of all kinds.  If everyone is exactly the same, that makes the entire species extremely weak.  Not only to disease but many possible scenarios could wipe out everyone.

Hell, we lost the banana for this very reason, people designed one genetically identical thing and recreated it millions of times and now we have no real bananas for years.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#11  Edited By Claude
@Diamond said:
" I like diversity on a personal level.  If you think about it in a emotional way you realize you wouldn't want to do or see the same exact thing every day anyways.  Imagine if everyone looked the same?  To take it to a scientific level, diversity is absolutely vital for the survival of lifeforms of all kinds.  If everyone is exactly the same, that makes the entire species extremely weak.  Not only to disease but many possible scenarios could wipe out everyone.  Hell, we lost the banana for this very reason, people designed one genetically identical thing and recreated it millions of times and now we have no real bananas for years. "
Goddamit, I knew it. Bananas are a lie. Two boiled eggs from steroid chickens and a banana for breakfast for years and where am I. Lost in a lie.
Avatar image for deactivated-5f17af3f88819
deactivated-5f17af3f88819

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

diversity man. I love the diversity of the world, without everything would be the same, and that would suck.

Alex_Murphy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13  Edited By Alex_Murphy

Mother nature has divided all lifeforms into competing groups. World peace is impossible. Even if we all had the same skin color and spoke the same language, we would still find thing to fight about. If any group gets big enough, smaller groups will be created within it.

Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By Bigandtasty

Some people will stay the way they are, some people will assimilate. It's fine as is, just don't hate on each other for being "too American" (e.g. "whitewashed") or "too foreign" (e.g. "FOB - fresh off the boat").

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By Diamond
@Claude said:

Goddamit, I knew it. Bananas are a lie. Two boiled eggs from steroid chickens and a banana for breakfast for years and where am I. Lost in a lie.

The bananas you buy today aren't the same bananas that were available 5+ years ago (I forget what exact year this happened).  Today's bananas are literally not as sweet as the old ones, which is sad.

edit - here's an article talking about the potential complete extinction of all bananas, something that's been talked about for quite a while 
http://www.popsci.com/scitech/article/2008-06/can-fruit-be-saved
Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#16  Edited By Suicrat

I think the ultimate objective should be individuation. My problem with multiculturalism (as it's promoted by the Canadian government for example) is that it still stratifies people based on the fallacious concept of group identity. I understand that it's an attempt to break the Christian/European hegemony in Canada, but within every group there is hegemony, and to end hegemony requires all people respect all other people for being themselves.