Ever caught a classmate blatantly cheating?

• 188 results
BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

Poll Ever caught a classmate blatantly cheating? (557 votes)

Yes (and I reported them) 4%
Yes (and I did not report them) 51%
No 12%
IT WAS ME! I AM THE CHEATER! 19%
[show results] 14%

I get that a lot of the specific things you are quizzed and tested on in school ultimately aren't life-and-death important, but if you can't be bothered to have the integrity to honestly do your own work (especially at a university), AND you're arrogant/stupid enough to do it in plain view of other students, then I sure as fuck don't mind shooting an email to the professor telling them about it.

So I'm curious to hear your thoughts on the matter.

• 
EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#51  Edited By EpicSteve

If you aren't cheating you aren't trying.

destinhpark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Wow, that's kind of dick-ish dude... Don't be a rat.

wjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honestly, someone else's grade does not affect mine. I don't see things as a contest and usually the people who cheat tend to keep a low-profile about it so there isn't really any bragging involved. Just as long as I pass...

Just the other day, my strategic management class had an exam online and since I sit in the back, I looked up after halfway through to adjust my eyes, and noticed half the class in front of me was cheating by pulling up separate windows on their laptops to view their lecture notes.

largo6661

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cheater at university are probably not going to do well anyway but screw them you should report them. The whole point of university and collage is to reach a level of competency in a certain area, if they cheated they are not competent their just liars.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By MikkaQ

I've met cheaters and even had them share their techniques with me before in high school, some of that stuff is hilarious, and how far they go to cheat is also pretty funny in some cases. I never cheated myself though, and probably wouldn't report them. It's their life, everyone has a way, I guess.

For me a cheater who doesn't get caught is fine. They're just exploiting a flaw in the academic system and getting away with it. Those are the kind of people I would want to hire, those who seek a more efficient way of accomplishing a result. They put the effort in, took a risk and were rewarded.

Those who get caught cheating however just plain suck. It means you tried to take a short-cut and fucked up at that. Why would I want to hire someone who just isn't prepared? Real cheating takes work and preparation. The idea is to expend less time and energy than those studying, not none at all. Therefore cheaters who are caught are just lazy and useless to me.

Basically I work in an industry (TV commercial editing) where speedy results are all that matters and so perfect execution of out-of-the-box planning is required to get things done quickly. Not that there really is such a thing as cheating in a world like that.

NegativeCero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I got notes from someone who took a class a semester before me. Is that considered cheating? I can't remember the last time I've cheated, but I've definitely seen people cheat without reporting them.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I once cheated so blatantly in a Biology class in High School and still bombed the shit out of the test. People were looking at me from all over, giving me questionable looks. Definitely deserved that.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mb said:

Where is the "YES - and I blackmailed them" option?

I knew there was an option I was forgetting.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

Sure, I've noticed plenty of people cheating. I've also made thousands of dollars helping people cheat. Needless to say, I would never report anyone.

Carryboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

NARC

Gruebacca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I've never seen anyone cheat myself ('Cause I'm focused on my tests. I mean, come on, bro! You're probably cheating yourself if you're looking for cheaters!) but I always hear stories about the pathetic attempts by some students to try to cheat.

One of my professors had a student who tried using FaceTime last semester. Fucking FaceTime!

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

I was usually the one cheating, so....

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#64  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

I'm gonna be a narc and report them... Fuck's wrong with you?!

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I kind of wish I had. My last year of university I was working on a group project, we all had a chunk to do and it was my job to compile the parts and turn it in. The presentation only worked if all of our data meshed together. Some of the phrasing in one dudes paper seemed... odd. So I googled a few sentences and found it was completely plagiarized from some website offering business plan "templates." Of course, my university took plagiarism very seriously and every project was run through software designed to detect it. SO, I was up literally all night, rewriting most of the project. I should have turned him in, but honestly, I was just happy to be graduating so I let it be.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#66  Edited By Tennmuerti

Shit I've cheated myself plenty of times. Even tho I was generally one of 2-3 top of the class students and had no real need for it. But preparing a few cheats for me accomplished several things at the same time:

1. While preparing a cheat sheet I basically revised the stuff I was writing down by proxy one more time, which made me do better just by itself
  2. It was mostly just a back up for the "oh shit I forgot that one thing/formula" type situations that were mostly never used (i glanced at my cheat sheet maybe 1 time out of 20 exams) but because I had a back up it always boosted my confidence and made me feel more prepared, which left me more focused and made me do better in exams then others
  3. Being prepared to cheat, but coming out on the other side without needing to is another great confidence boost in your own abilities

Combine that and the fact that I always tried to answer tests not by answering questions directly but by answering what the examiner or question really wanted to hear; made me do much better at tests and exams then people who were either at my level, smarter then me or put in more effort then me.

Ahhh, good times.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By BisonHero

@gruebacca said:

I've never seen anyone cheat myself ('Cause I'm focused on my tests. I mean, come on, bro! You're probably cheating yourself if you're looking for cheaters!)

The instance I'm thinking of was actually in the middle of a regular class. The guy was on his laptop, logging in as several different students to complete online assignments for them. Maybe they were his friends, maybe they were people who gave him money, I don't fucking care. The online assignments are literally the easiest part of the course and are very simple questions to make sure students understand the basic concepts each week. They take like 10 minutes.

If someone can't be bothered to do that themselves, they are the laziest piece of shit to ever exist. So yeah, I'll narc those guys out all day long; it's worth such a small percentage of the final grade that A) I don't even know why you wouldn't attempt it yourself, and B) they'll likely only get a warning unless they've been caught multiple times before, in which case maybe those dumb fucks should've cheated on something that actually mattered.

But apparently none of this matters because everybody is all Crips and Bloods up in here.

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I don't have anything to gain from reporting a cheater, so I see no point in blowing up their spot.

customotto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the idea that telling on someone for cheating is morally bad is a lie spread by those that cheat

evidence: this thread.

you ain't gangstas, fools. you're just 2lazy.

Patman99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I caught two people blatantly (and I mean blatantly) cheating on a test during my undergrad. They were essentially discussing a set of questions and the possible answers as the prof was still handing out tests. Naturally, it was incredibly noisy and the professor was preoccupied with giving everyone an exam. I went to the professor's office hours (which happened to be the next day) and I told her what happened. I didn't know the students so all I could do was report the act. She was grateful, commented to the class the following lecture, and altered the way she handed out the exams the next time.

I have no quams with ratting on people when it comes to university stuff. We are all adults and most of us will get out of that system with a degree in our hands that says that we are qualified at "something". I would like to minimize the number of those "qualified" people that cheated their way to their degree. What I did does not guarantee that they will never cheat again, but it gives them something to think about.

But I would be betraying my D&D alignment if I did not act lawfully good.

Dacnomaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bocam said:

Don't be a fucking rat.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flappy said:

I don't have anything to gain from reporting a cheater, so I see no point in blowing up their spot.

Perhaps life isn't a balance sheet and every action doesn't need to result in a tangible reward?

So I take the opposite position: as long as an action doesn't kill me or financially ruin me, I will do what I believe to be The Right Thing, with or without reward. There is no supernatural being handing out tickets to the Pearly Gates or the maws of Hell, so the only justice in the world is what we make for ourselves.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#74  Edited By Nodima

Since I was one of those people who never needed to study (or do homework) to do well on tests (I infamously scored an 87% on tests and quizzes while scoring a 5% on homework during a semester of geometry), I would often cock my sheet in such a way that the person to the left of me and behind me could see my answers. I never cheated, but I was definitely the source of many a cheat.

sickVisionz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've cheated and caught others cheating. Never snitched. I don't see the point. I was never competing for valedictorian so my ranking vs another student was irrelevant. With no benefit to me, it never entered my mind to rat someone out. I just felt sorry that they were that terrible at cheating.

tearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 52

#76  Edited By tearhead

@bocam said:

Don't be a fucking rat.

Yeah, dude, not cool. Also, how are you supposed to prove that the person cheated? What is the professor supposed to do with an e-mail?

If the guy is cheating at a course that is closely related to his major then he won't get through by cheating through all of it, he will need to do the work eventually. But if it's a course that is needed but probably won't help him in the long run, who the fuck cares.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't give a shit, the majority of cheaters have already dug themselves a hole to the point that they kind of have to cheat in some desperate attempt to scrape by when in the end they'll still fuck themselves over therefore I don't see why I should bother saying anything.

Those people don't bother me as much as the self-righteous assholes who have trouble getting adequate oxygen because of the height of their steeds.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@colourful_hippie said:

Those people don't bother me as much as the self-righteous assholes who have trouble getting adequate oxygen because of the height of their steeds.

SORRY, WHAT WAS THAT YOU WERE SAYING? I COULDN'T HEAR YOU BECAUSE I'M SO HIGH ABOVE YOU ON MY SWEET SPACE HORSE.

No Caption Provided

Theassman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Snitches end up in ditches man. Dont be a fucking rat

colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bisonhero: You thinking my statement applies to you because of that projection of yours tells me more than I need to know on how you approach those kinds of situations so thanks.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By BisonHero

@colourful_hippie: It sounded like a blanket statement towards anyone who reports cheaters. The rest of your post implied that you thought cheating was its own punishment so there's no point in reporting cheaters (a common position in this thread).

You'll have to excuse me (in a thread that is generally hostile to my position) for assuming that your complaint was directed towards me.

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flappy said:

Perhaps life isn't a balance sheet and every action doesn't need to result in a tangible reward?

So I take the opposite position: as long as an action doesn't kill me or financially ruin me, I will do what I believe to be The Right Thing, with or without reward. There is no supernatural being handing out tickets to the Pearly Gates or the maws of Hell, so the only justice in the world is what we make for ourselves.

I see what you're going for (and I respect it), but calling out a cheater just isn't one of those things that I consider worth doing. If someone needs assistance with something, I'm more than willing to help them out. In fact, I enjoy the warm fuzzies I get when I help someone out and they say "Thanks," in return. I'm no saint by any stretch of the imagination, but I try to help out people when I can.

The way I see it, a person will usually cheat if they're unprepared for something and they're in desperation mode. I don't necessarily support cheating (although I am guilty of doing it in the past), but I'm not about to force myself into their business and poopoo on their efforts. If someone gets caught cheating, it's all on them.

micemoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By micemoney

Being a grown ass tattle tell sounds sorda lame dude.

customotto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bisonhero: You thinking my statement applies to you because of that projection of yours tells me more than I need to know on how you approach those kinds of situations so thanks.

TRAP SPRUNG

btw lol at all these super privileged people posting the same lines over and over again that advocate the murder of innocent people for reporting crimes

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I kind of wish I had. My last year of university I was working on a group project, we all had a chunk to do and it was my job to compile the parts and turn it in. The presentation only worked if all of our data meshed together. Some of the phrasing in one dudes paper seemed... odd. So I googled a few sentences and found it was completely plagiarized from some website offering business plan "templates." Of course, my university took plagiarism very seriously and every project was run through software designed to detect it. SO, I was up literally all night, rewriting most of the project. I should have turned him in, but honestly, I was just happy to be graduating so I let it be.

I usually don't give a fuck if people cheat, because it doesn't hurt me. In this situation I would have told this lovely group member to redo his part, or else he is out of the group. If he refused you tell him to fuck off, and then tell the teacher. I can't stand people who don't pull their weight in group projects, cheating in a group project is a whole different low.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@micemoney said:

Yeah, no adults ever tell on each other. That Edward Snowden guy, what a pussy.

colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By colourful_hippie

@bisonhero: Not a blanket but I've run into some students who would be the types to tell on someone and I would always get the vibe from them that they think they reached this important position that has allowed them to be a self-made arbiter of sorts, it was gross.

I do believe that cheating is its own kind of punishment. I don't see it as arrogant, stupid, yes, but definitely not arrogant; it comes off more as an act of desperation because that's the position that those people have led themselves to. Maybe the wannabe arbiters who like to tell on those people are actually doing the cheaters a favor by having them failed immediately versus letting the cheaters delude themselves into thinking they can scrape by until it's too late which can be the more severe punishment than anything else.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

No, seriously, what do people have against tattle tales? What's wrong with pointing out that somebody's breaking the rules?

flasaltine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow. OP is a fucking nerd rat. Don't be a rat.

colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By colourful_hippie

No, seriously, what do people have against tattle tales? What's wrong with pointing out that somebody's breaking the rules?

"Officer, hurry! There's a 70 year grandmother sparking up a fatty to illegally treat her glaucoma!"

Of course there will be different situations in which keeping your mouth shut is not right because it may be causing harm to potential victims, but there are absolutely valid reasons as to why some people will hate/not like those who constantly "snitch"

wjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By wjb

I wonder how a professor would handle something like that unless there's undeniable proof that a person cheated.

I mean, they can look for any suspicious behavior in the future, but I don't know what I would say if a student told on another student without any physical evidence.

I'm sure there are still idiots out there, but the cheaters I've known (me included, in the past) differentiated things enough where every single answer was not the same as the person we were cheating off of. As a professor, I might have a case if every answer was the same -- even the wrong ones -- but it's kind of hard making one if the answers were different in some spots.

Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#92  Edited By Ramone

@video_game_king said:

Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@video_game_king said:

"Officer, hurry! There's a 70 year grandmother sparking up a fatty to illegally treat her glaucoma!"

Of course there will be different situations in which keeping your mouth shut is not right because it may be causing harm to potential victims, but there are absolutely valid reasons as to why some people will hate/not like those who constantly "snitch"

"Welp, better not call the police on that guy vandalising a dude's car because he might think I'm a dick"

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, fuck me for looking out for her safety (chances are that illegal marijuana isn't regulated to make sure it doesn't kill her or cause some other (potentially worse) health problem).

micemoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@micemoney said:

Come on man, I'm talking within the context of this conversation. Telling on someone for cheating on a test in college is just a little different than informing the national public they don't really have any privacy. I don't think any of the people that are saying "don't snitch" are advocating not saying anything about something that's a bit more serious. You know, life or death or something like that. Somebody cheating on a test ultimately means nothing.

colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By colourful_hippie

@ramone said:

@colourful_hippie said:

@video_game_king said:

"Welp, better not call the police on that guy vandalising a dude's car because he might think I'm a dick"

I love people that lack reading comprehension.

@video_game_king said:

@colourful_hippie said:

Well, fuck me for looking out for her safety (chances are that illegal marijuana isn't regulated to make sure it doesn't kill her or cause some other (potentially worse) health problem).

That's pretty good of you to come with that on the spot but I'm sure that grandma will be ok with what she's getting because she would have to somehow have a connection in the literal ghetto to get bud that's laced with something dangerous.

Don't believe everything that D.A.R.E. tells you, children.

laserguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why are there two pages of this? Has anyone called this out as stupid yet? A vote for cheating? I'm going back to voting on games. I should be happy, Pittsburgh won a game. But Canada got the greatest deal of the year. I'm mad, fuck you Canada.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By DystopiaX

Honestly, if they are cheating then it's very unlikely they are gonna pass if they are in College or University. High school or lower then I don't give a fuck. I can see why you would rat them out though.

Dude I have seen tons of cheating in college. TFs giving their friends copies of the test in advance, one girl was blatantly looking at a study guide on her phone during a quiz in a discussion section with 12 people in it. It happens all the time and i haven't seen anyone get punished for it.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@micemoney said:

@bisonhero said:

@micemoney said:

Come on man, I'm talking within the context of this conversation. Telling on someone for cheating on a test in college is just a little different than informing the national public they don't really have any privacy. I don't think any of the people that are saying "don't snitch" are advocating not saying anything about something that's a bit more serious. You know, life or death or something like that. Somebody cheating on a test ultimately means nothing.

Yeah, my example was an exaggeration. Still, the general attitude of "don't report wrongdoings to teachers/cops/authority figures, mind your own business" seems pervasive in this thread (jokingly or not), so I'm curious how far that slippery slope goes.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers