Every cloud has a silver lining

Sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Hey gang!

Like many of you, I live in the UK. If you follow current world affairs at all, you'll know what happened in the UK this morning. The absolute darkest timeline where the tories got MASSIVE gains in the UK, in power for another 5 years minimum.

I was pretty upset. In the past, I've depended on the NHS for life solvency. I also work in UK education, which, if you know, is getting SLAMMED by the Conservatives. There was a dour expression in our staffroom today when we talked about what impact it'll have. I know we're losing a LOT of money if the Tories were to come in power. We're talking tens of thousands of pounds. So I was pretty dissapointed today.

However!

I also recieved an e-mail JUST as I was leaving. The content?

"We are pleased to offer you an interview for the Jet Programme 2020 on..."

Literally an interview for my dream job, and the one I've somehow worked towards my entire education career. So in January, I have a life changing interview to see if I am fortunate enough to teach English in Japan. Now, I don't use the forums much anymore, and I don't expect anyone to know me, but I just want people to know that in these trying times, there are glimmers of hope out there!

redwing42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Thank you for sharing. There are a lot of things to be concerned/alarmed/frightened by in the political realm right now, so good news of any sort is always welcome.

Best of luck to you, and I hope you are selected.

Relkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

I hope the interview goes well and you get the job! Sounds like a fun experience, working in another country.

Best of luck, duder!

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know a fair few teachers and none of them seem happy aside from the lad that buggered off to Qatar. Best of luck.

stantongrouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Good luck dude! Fellow UK teacher here, made redundant this year due to cuts in adult education and still job hunting. Very thankful for Giant Bomb's output and the sanity of the people on the forums otherwise I think I'd have lost the plot this month. Genuinely wishing you the best for the interview - get away from here for a bit if you can!

Rigas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Good luck! I've known a few people who worked with the Jet Programme and they loved it.

Avatar image for bladeofcreation
BladeOfCreation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

I don't know what to say about the election, other than to sympathize.

Good luck with the Jet Programme!

Keirgo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Keirgo

Oh yeah! I remember your previous post about wanting to teach in Japan, it's awesome to hear you will be getting a shot.

Best of luck to you in the interview, and hang in there, it's crazy everywhere these days.

Sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By Sombre

Thanks for all the kind words friends. I'm a little (hugely) nervous about going all the way to London to the OFFICIAL EMBASSY for my interview though! It'll single handedly be the biggest job interview of my life I think, at least so far. But if I can get my foot in the door, I can kickstart my dream job of an EFL teacher career. Not being a TA in the UK anymore for 11 grand a year :P

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

£11k? Christ, that's nowt. The teachers I know tend to do it because they love it but, for that money, they're taking you for granted.

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Glad to hear! JET sounds like an awesome program! Don't be nervous, you'll be fine!

Avatar image for not_a_bumblebee
not_a_bumblebee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Loading Video...

Hate the Dead but this song felt appropriate.