Experiences of moving abroad from your home country?

Avatar image for evilmonkeyslayer
EvilMonkeySlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I'm currently mulling moving from the UK to New Zealand.

What are your experiences of moving to a new country from the old one? Did you have account issues on your steam or PSN accounts? Any gotchas? Anything unexpected? What did you do to plan? What resources did you use?

Squeezy_Ghee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not too sure about video game stuff but have you looked into any taxes you would have to pay? Are you looking to become a citizen of NZ? Are you looking to renounce your citizenship to the UK?

A honest good start would be to checkout https://www.immigration.govt.nz/. There's gonna be a lot of info there (maybe more than you would ever want/need) but I would make sure you check every proverbial "box" they have before you even consider moving.

On a side note, and something you might know, but is it easier for you as a citizen of the UK to move to NZ given the relationship between the two nations?

Hopefully that helps a little or at least bumps this thread to get more people in to answer.

Good luck and godspeed.

Alias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

PSN might be a bit weird. I don't know the specifics but I seem to recall there being some issues with switching the country (and store) tied to the account.

theuprightman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By theuprightman

PSN, Xbox live and Switch cause trouble for me, I moved from Ireland to the UK then the Middle East,

For PSN I use my Irish bank account to buy things on PSN as I have an Irish PSN account. 4/5 hassle

Xbox is a bit weird, I bought my Xbox One after I moved to the UAE but my Xbox live account was Irish. If it's a new game it works fine, I can use my local cards, if I am trying to buy an Xbox Original or 360 game on the store I need to use my Irish debit card to add credit to my account using the browser on my PC then log into my Xbox. 5/5 serious hassle.

For Switch, I use my UK debit card, that works fine but it will not let me use my local cards. 2/5 hassle

Steam, Battlenet, Origin and GOG work perfectly. I can use any cards I want but I do see all my prices in Pounds (Uk) not sure why as all of those accounts have an Irish address associated with them.

The only one issue that I have ever run into on PC is that Far Cry 5 was delayed in the middle east for about two weeks as the Arabic Language pack was not ready on release day, it didn't seem to matter that my Steam account was Irish. Very Weird

All in all PC stuff is fine, for everything else I usually buy physical copies if I can, especially for PSN as the old Irish bank account I have had since I was a kid charges a hefty fee for international transfers. I could probably try and change the region on my all my console accounts but some games don't go on sale everywhere or even at the same time. My Irish accounts have been good for that.

Things to do - keep your old bank accounts! and related sim cards. Ask you bank what charges there are to receive international transfers from my experiences Lloyds in the UK have reasonable rates (AIB in Ireland are criminals)

If you have family in the UK change all your addresses for your accounts to there address just in case.

Not to do with games but google P85 and fill out the online form - this will get your tax back that you paid for the past number of months in the UK - (more money for games)

Also if you have a PC tower, it is probably best to dismantle it and ship the components or bring them as a carry on rather than shipping the entire thing, I shipped mine and even with DHL handling and some serious packaging it arrived damaged. You can take consoles in your carry on luggage with very little issue, you might just get searched at security depending on who you happen to get.