• 59 results
csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By csl316

Just got done with the most recent Film and 40's, and I feel like we need a dedicated place to discuss these movies as they've become a big part of the site somehow. From the office Tokyo Drift poster, to Jeff convincing me to give Fast Five a shot, to the general appreciation of The Rock around these parts.

Feel free to discuss the lore, various theories, Paul Walker, and future predictions.

I'll start with a simple Ranking of Furious:

1. Fast Five - It's the best in the series for me, due to the initial shock of what I watched this series turn into. Big action, big emotion, and big money scores. The last half hour is the best sort of stuff that action movies have to offer.

2. - Furious 7 - It's just so over the top. Jason Statham in that opening scene, the flying cars, Tony Jaa... I had so much fun watching this dumb, dumb ass movie.

3. - Fast & Furious - It's weird and gritty, but they're in mourning, man! The melodrama made me chuckle more often than not, but I liked the story and a single-minded Dom on the prowl looking for vengeance was the guy at his most dangerous.

4. - Fast & Furious 6 - I was a big fan of Evil Letty, and this dark rival family in general. It had that cool flipping car and the tank sequence and he stomps a god damn parking garage onto the bad guy. Plus, when the mid-credits sequence hit, it had the moment of "oh shit, we're finally caught up, we're doing this!!!"

5. The Fast and the Furious - This was a silly movie back then, and it feels even sillier now. But boy, it was fun to go back to last month. There's just enough of Point Break in there to make me appreciation it, and the hyperspeed NOS just makes it even better.

6. The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift - It's a stupid fucking movie, which unfortunately didn't live up to the hype that the GB crew started for me. Han is so great, the mythical treatment of drifting is hilarious, and they built that cool FrankenMustang.

7. 2 Fast 2 Furious - What a piece of shit. Hot damn, I didn't like this movie AT ALL. Another one I never saw til Film and 40s, so it was nice to finally get some background on Roman and Tej, who are by far the best parts of this one. But unfortunately, it sucks hard!

Ok, that's all I got!

flasaltine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

2 fast 2 furious is so shitty that it is better than Tokyo Drift, which is much better produced but still bad.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

1. The Fast and the Furious
  2. Fast 7
  3. Fast 6
  4. Fast 5
  5. 2 Fast 2 Furious (dumb fun)
  6. Fast and Furious (no fun)
  7. The Fast and the Furious Tokyo Drift (too dumb)

I'm not going to lie 5-7 kind of blur together for me. All I remember is Fast 7 had Statham and Fast 5 had a safe? I kind of prefer the tone of the original movie over all the others, shit felt raw but not in the moody way that Fast and Furious was that robbed it of all it's fun. It had the perfect blend of car fetishism and action.

Tokyo Drift was all car fetishism and no real action with unlikable characters. (with the exception of Han)

2 fast 2 furious is so shitty that it is better than Tokyo Drift, which is much better produced but still bad.

Yep. I also prefer it to Fast and Furious, everyone just seemed depressed and that's not why I come to these movies.

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By mems1224

@flasaltine: the cops were staking out the bad guy's properties to see if they could catch them in the act of moving the money. That's why he needed a 15 minute window but the crooked detective didn't give it to them. The reason the bad guy needed precision drivers was in case they couldn't get the 15 minute window. At least that's my understanding

wchigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

1. Fast 5
  2. Fast 7
  3. Furious 6
  4. The Fast and The Furious
  5. The Fast and The Furious: Tokyo Drift
  6. Fast and Furious
  7. 2 Fast 2 Furious

That's my list based off recollection. I haven't watched the fourth and sixth movies in a while so my recollection of those movies are somewhat hazy...

flasaltine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mems1224: Yeah, I didn't catch the part about the cops staking out the properties.

CptKnots94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I have a pretty different ranking personally. Here's how I'd put them

1. Fast 5 - I'm a sucker for heists and man did this movie go all out with that scene dragging the safe through the city.

2. The Fast and the Furious (1) - It had such a great style for its time, and I think it was one of the most fun Vin Diesel performances to watch.

3. Tokyo Drift - You all talk about how fucking stupid this movie is and I agree, but look at that as a positive. Tokyo Drift is such an insanely dumb movie, but somehow it still manages to be this weird anchor in the whole series that makes the weird chronology of the series so interesting.

4 - Fast 7 - Easily the best action in the series. Super high production value on a lot of the stunts that had a lot of creative ideas behind them.

5 - Furious 6 - While it is at 5 of 7 on my list, I still think highly of this movie. It was a solid action movie with a few standout scenes. The ending though, was fantastic. The plane scene achieved such a great sense of scale and technical achievement, while also keeping the ridiculous bar pretty high for a lot of the stunts.

6 - Fast and Furious (4) - This movie was just utterly boring for me. The plot and characters were uninteresting and overly present. The action was okay and I liked how it held more on to the street racing aspects that the later movies had less of.

7 - 2 Fast 2 Furious - Not a very good movie, but still a fun little spin off story with some entertaining characters.

uhtaree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By uhtaree

@csl316: Your ranking is almost the same as mine except I think 4 is a formulaic reboot with an anticlimactic, artificial action sequence that they definitely thought was gonna be cooler than it was.

I think the dropoff after 5 and 7 is pretty precipitous (fuzzy on 7 at this point, giving it the benefit of the doubt), but I rewatched 6 a couple months ago and found it to be an in-jokey slog until the last couple of action sequences which are stellar (how long is that runway by the way?!)

While I'll take to my grave that 2 is more entertaining, 3 is just a better looking bad movie so it escapes being the "worst".

5, 7, 6, 1, 4, 3, 2

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

1. Furious 7
  2. Fast & Furious 6
  3. Fast Five
  4. 2 Fast 2 Furious
  5. Fast & Furious
  6. The Fast and the Furious
  7. The Fast and the Furious Tokyo Drift

I was a bit surprised the community here generally thought 2 Fast 2 Furious especially was shit. If you take a look at my list, it is the only one that comes close to the mad fun of the top 3. It just lacks the larger roster of characters and it isn't as over the top.

I also really liked The Fast and the Furious when it came out, but it has not aged well. I think Tokyo Drift is easily far worse than it though.

Avatar image for deactivated-629ec706f0783
deactivated-629ec706f0783

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Throw me in the "Tokyo Drift is actually the worst" camp. It adds the least to the overarching story, and every character except Han is abysmall and a bad actor/actress. Also the movies especially upsets me due to how little it actually showcases/utilizes the fact it's set in Tokyo. 2Fast2Furious is in no means a good movie, but there is some corny, B-level action flick fun to be found, and it adds more important characters to the lore. Tokyo Drift is just boring.

My ranking:

1. Fast 5
  2. Fast & Furious 6
  3. Furious 7
  4. Fast & Furious
  5. 2Fast2Furious
  7. Tokyo Drift

The only reason I put 6 above 7, though both are good, is due to 7's criminal under usage of Statham. They hyped him up in all the trailers as the big bad, but his actual screen time was very small, and it's a shame because Jason Statham fucking rocks. Thank god they brought him back in F8 of the Furious, because he has more to give this world! Also 2Fast is above the first one for me just due to the first one also being kinda boring and hard to watch current day. @vinny had it right in the Film and 40's for Fast & Furious when he says Michelle Rodriguez looks YOUNGER in Fast & Furious then in the first one, it's fucking weird!

Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#12  Edited By Trilogy
  1. Tokyo Drift
  2. The Fast and the Furious
  3. Fast 5
  4. Fast and Furious 6
  5. Furious 7
  6. 2Fast 2Furious
  7. Fast and Furious

1 and 3 will always be the best in the series. I grew up with them, and they're so fucking cheesy that I'm able to appreciate them from an ironic level as well as a sincere one. I adore them taking the film to Japan. It's a well worn tale of "fish out of water" but they're take on it is something right up my alley. Both 1 and 3 also still feature a lot of racing and car culture in them, which I love. The later movies got too generic for me. They just became your run of the mill, big budget explodathon. Still really fun and enjoyable, but I have nowhere near the level of appreciation for them as I do 1 and 3. The second movie still has some of that cheese that I love, and I appreciate the Miami setting and vibe, but it ended up feeling like some weird made for USA network movie. 4 is the weakest movie, however. It's the generic action movie without enough action to make it worth it. It has it's moments, but they're few and far between. 5 and 6 really run together for me at this point. I haven't seen them since they came out, so I'm looking forward to see how I feel when I'm refreshed on them. But essentially, I remember them as fun, loud, heist movies. A good time, but again, it sort of just runs together. 7 would fall to the same problems of 5 and 6, but it stands out as the one that Paul Walker died during the shooting of the movie. I couldn't stop thinking about it as I watched it, and I ended up feeling pretty sad, which is weird emotion to have while watching a dumb action movie. It doesn't help that they try to tonally address his death in film. One scene will go from this weirdly emotional moment straight into the Rock dropping some dumb ass line about how much ass he's about to kick. It's just super uneven and jarring to watch, at least when it came out. I can't really knock them too hard for it, though. I don't know how you're supposed to handle a situation like that.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#13  Edited By Humanity

Tokyo Drift #1 no compromise and if you think otherwise you're objectively wrong.

Other than that I like Fast 5 for the ridiculous safe dragging scene. I also like the light hearted atmosphere that the previous movie seriously lacked.

Past Fast 5 I feel like those movies were trying to be Mission Impossible but failing in most respects. The humor falls flat and a lot of the action scenes aren't thought out and are only impressive in their absurdity: mainly the worlds longest runway comes to mind.

I can honestly say that past Fast 5 I don't think I really enjoyed any of those movies apart from a few key scenes. They're not like Resident Evil bad (nothing is Resident Evil bad) but they're not as goofy or as fun as either Tokyo Drift or Fast Five.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's funny seeing these rankings, as there's such a wide range of feelings about what's an acceptable level of dumb for a movie. I personally prefer when these particular movies go big and dumb, hence my preference for the latter ones. I usually wouldn't take pride in that, but since they spent time building all these characters up beforehand I actually give a shit about what happens to them.

2 and 3 are a little too silly for me, at times even incoherent. Jeff was able to articulate why he likes Tokyo Drift so much, as if you turn off your brain it can just be seen as something super entertaining. Hulk hands didn't do much for me but if that's your brand of ridiculousness, more power to ya. We watched 3 in a group a few weeks ago, and in the context of "let's laugh at this bad movie" it worked out ok. But it's not something I'll rewatch a bunch of times.

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

5>6>7>4>1>3>2

The action scenes in the later movies are so much better than anything in the first 4 and the characters they took years to set up finally pay off. 2 is a horrible trainwreck of bullshit and 3 is good but that mountain drift ballet is probably the worst scene in the entire series. I also can't get over Lucas Black being a 45 year old high school student lol

Avatar image for deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1
deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1. Fast Five

2.The Fast and the Furious

3.Tokyo Drift

4. Fast and the Furious 2009

5. fast and the furious 7

6. furious 6

7. 2 fast 2 furious

For me the peak of the movies was Fast Five it brought back all the characters together and felt like the movies went full circle. The original movie was great the sequel 2 fast 2 furious was a huge let down with no Vin Diesel and on top of that the new character Roman Pearce annoyed the hell out of me just loud and annoying. And as far as every movie after fast five feels way over the top and ridiculous also bringing back Letty in fast 6 is when the series to me has jumped the shark now they just all feel the same.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

At the time Fast and Furious was disappointing to me, but revisiting it now i appreciate its place in the series, it's better now than it was then.

odinsmana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By odinsmana

I have been watching the films for the first time as the Film and 40s have been released, so I have only watched the first 4. My ranking so far is:

1. Fast and Furious

2. 2 fast 2 furious

3. The fast and the furious

4. Tokyo Drift

Part of why I was disappointed in Tokyo Drift is probably how it has been built up through the years of me listening to the Bombcrew (mostly Jeff) talk it up. I thought pretty much every character other then Han (who is great) was terrible in a boring way. Paul Walker in the first two movies was bad in a charming/funny way. Lucas Black is somehow a worse actor and is also bad in a boring way (he is pretty much a block of wood with a smirk stapled on it). The same thing also goes for most of the other cast. I also thought the action was the weakest of the four movies (though not really bad) and didn`t really have any memorable set pieces.

The fast and the furious was an OK dumb action movie.

2 fast 2 furious is also terrible, but unlike Tokyo Drift (and similarly to it`s own title) 2 fast 2 furious is terrible in a fun way. I think it has a stronger cast of both actors and characters (both Tej and Roman are really fun). It has has a couple of really dumb action scenes (D Va. car, jumping on a boat) and an absolute nonsense plot. Overall it`s a pretty decent dumb action film.

Fast and furious is a competent film. Paul Walker puts in a decent performance which was surprising and the dynamic between him and Vin Diesel in this film was actually kinda cool. This movie also has a plot which is more than I could say for some other entries in the series. It also has my favorite action in the movies so far with some pretty good action scenes throughout. The biggest minus is how criminally underused Han is. It`s far from a great film. It might not even be a good film, but it`s the one I have enjoyed the most so far.

I also just realized that I think I have the inverse of Alex`s ranking which was not intentional.

michael_katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By michael_katarn

2 Fast is definitively the worst made of any of them. the plot is nonsense and uninteresting, the pacing is all over the place. but there are some OK action scenes. and some OK character moments but its real bad. Tokyo Drift is a far superior production in almost every way. The plot is much better too except for the protagonist. Hes the least likable character in any movie I can think of. The whole reason anyone dies or get hurts in that movie is cuz he is a hot headed shithead who cannot accept the fact that women have boyfriends that aren't him. That is the main source of every drama! WTF, go home fake Paul Walker.

HAN DIES JUST BECAUSE THIS KID(38 yr old teenager) HAS AN ATTITUDE PROBLEM!

Avatar image for planetfunksquad
planetfunksquad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They retconned that so that he dies because Jason Statham has a revenge problem Much better.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Hunkulese

@michael_katarn said:

2 Fast is definitively the worst made of any of them. the plot is nonsense and uninteresting, the pacing is all over the place. but there are some OK action scenes. and some OK character moments but its real bad. Tokyo Drift is a far superior production in almost every way. The plot is much better too except for the protagonist. Hes the least likable character in any movie I can think of. The whole reason anyone dies or get hurts in that movie is cuz he is a hot headed shithead who cannot accept the fact that women have boyfriends that aren't him. That is the main source of every drama! WTF, go home fake Paul Walker.

Not really sure what version of the movie you saw. Maybe that's all in the extended cut.

Did you miss the part where Han was caught stealing from the Yakuza? It's also not really Sean's fault that he's such at stud at life and driving cars that all the ladies want to leave their boyfriends to be with him.

Fezrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

5-7 are a giant, awesome blur to me. I know I liked all three of them a lot, and I remember some of the set pieces pretty well; but I couldn't tell you what happened in each one.

I liked 1 a lot, it was a solid Point Break remake. I seem to recall 4 being pretty good as well.

I don't think I ever saw 2 or 3.

slax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

1. Fast Five
  2. Tokyo Drift
  3. Furious 7 or whatever
  4. Fast & Furious
  5. Fast (again maybe?) 6 (It just wasn't as good!)
  7. 2 Fast 2 Furious (Except for Ludacris)
Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@michael_katarn said:

They retconned that so that he dies because Jason Statham has a revenge problem Much better.

The whole franchise is basically founded on people not being able to let things go.

ht101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#25  Edited By ht101

The ranking of the F & F movies is like this:

1. Fast Five
  2. Tokyo Drift
  3. Furious 7
  4. F & F 6
  5. Fast and Furious
  7. 2 Fast 2 Furious

People who think Tokyo Drift is bad are wrong.

flippyandnod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not sure why people are so down on 4. It really is Fast Five with a smaller budget. It does well and really shows what can be done as they veer away from car culture.

2 is easily the worst movie unless you are really, really into the street tuning/racing scene. If you are into that scene it could be your favorite.

Thrillhouse87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does anyone here know if the (uk) bluray box set features the extended versions? I bought the 1-7 set on itunes for this film and 40s, but now I understand they will do the extended versions for 5, 6 and 7 (the itunes versions are the theatrical ones). I really do not want to buy the movies twice for nothing.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#28  Edited By Onemanarmyy

I have only seen the first 4 so far.

1. Tokyo Drift

2. The Fast and the Furious

3. 2 Fast 2 Furious

4. Fast & Furious

All i can say, fuck everything related to that tunnel. The CG, Paul Walker knowing exactly where the weakpoints are after driving through once, even finding a way out of a dead end road that he never went through before, while the bad guys who know these tunnels didn't even know about it. Granted, it has more going on in the storydepartment than at least the 2nd and 3rd movie, but has none of that charm.

uhtaree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does anyone here know if the (uk) bluray box set features the extended versions? I bought the 1-7 set on itunes for this film and 40s, but now I understand they will do the extended versions for 5, 6 and 7 (the itunes versions are the theatrical ones). I really do not want to buy the movies twice for nothing.

Crapola. That messes up my 6 for sure because I got it in a combo pack with 4-6 on dvd. Fuck, I wonder if they would consider watching the movies as god intended them--theatrical version, since people in different regions might not have them and cheapskates like me got them in bargain bins on dvd.

Anyone else have a fun way that they cobbled these movies together for the film and 40s? I got 1 at goodwill before I knew they were doing this for a dollar, that would be the 4:3 version, and it had a "ticket" that was good for admission to 2 Fast 2 Furious that expired in June '03. I bought 2 on blu ray at Walmart because I needed to see 2 with the most pixels possible. I got T-Drift on bluray at Big Lots for $5. I got 4-6 in a DVD combo pack at Walmart, and I thinking of getting the 4k BR of 7 because I got an Xbox One S but I'll have take it over to my brothers 4k tv for now. I probably should have just bought that BluRay box set but I thought it would be funnier this way.

flippyandnod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bought the US Blu-ray box set (for a pittance!) and it came with digital codes for all 7 movies. With this set, 5-7 are the extended versions and so the iTunes versions I got were the extended versions.

I bought this Amazon item:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01C42GYQA

For $28 (plus a bit of tax, so like $30).

The item description says 6 and 7 are extended. It doesn't say 5 was, but it was. Maybe the Amazon description of the UK box set will be helpful on this front?

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not sure why people are so down on 4. It really is Fast Five with a smaller budget. It does well and really shows what can be done as they veer away from car culture.

2 is easily the worst movie unless you are really, really into the street tuning/racing scene. If you are into that scene it could be your favorite.

The series is at its best when it's being fun. Nothing about 4 is fun except for the opening the the tease at the end. It tries to be a serious action movie except the plot and action are boring.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By stonyman65

Fast 5 is the best by far, but I actually like 2fast. I think like it more than 4, to be honest. Maybe I'm just crazy.

I hope they "pull a Letty" and bring Han back. I mean, you never see his body and he has several seconds to get out of there before the car blows. It's fast in Tokyo Drift, but when you see it again in Furious 7 it takes much longer to blow. Jason Statham has enough time to hit the car, get out, start walking away and call Dom before the car blows. If they really wanted to bring Han back as an "oh shit!" moment, they've definitely given themselves the opportunity to.

wchigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stonyman65: Nothing would make me happier regarding future instalments of this series than if they decided to bring Han back.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a0917a2494ce
deactivated-5a0917a2494ce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

1. Fast 5 - Easily the best in the series, just so much good nonsense
  2. Furious 6 - Almost as good as 5, it just didn't feel quite as "magical"
  3. Tokyo Drift - A lot of dumb fun to be had here. Japanese culture makes movies great.
  4. Fast 7 - Still decent but it felt very disjointed.
  5. The Fast and The Furious - Still a lot of fun but it doesn't hold up that well
  6. Fast and Furious - They tried, they really did, but I don't like this movie at all
  7. 2 Fast 2 Furious - Just stupid and awful.
csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To reiterate, after today's podcast, Fast Five is super dope. And it was nice to have Austin pop in.

flasaltine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By flasaltine

I am so excited to watch Fast and Furious and Fast Five tomorrow. Gonna load up on Malt beverages, whataburger, and snacks, or a whole stuffed crust pizza. I am planning on a 4000 calorie sesh.

myke_tuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By myke_tuna
  1. Fast Five
  2. Furious 6
  3. The Fast and The Furious
  4. Fast and Furious
  5. Furious 7
  6. Tokyo Drift
  7. 2 Fast 2 Furious

Fast Five is the best. Furious 6 plays off of that and creates some good moments. The Fast and The Furious has that nostalgia factor for me. Fast and Furious is actually pretty formulaic, but just enjoyable enough for me to take it over 7. Furious 7 is ok, but sometimes, it just feels... Rough. It's really on the line for me between "too much ridiculous" and "just enough ridiculous". Tokyo Drift is cheesy as fuck, but ultimately, pretty irrelevant. They took the only good idea from that one (Han) and made it shine better in the other films. 2 Fast is the worst movie of the bunch, but I can still find myself finishing it on basic cable sometimes.

cerberus3dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They were really starting to get tipsy by the halfway point. lol turned into a giggle/shout fest by the end.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By MezZa

@stonyman65 said:

I hope they "pull a Letty" and bring Han back. I mean, you never see his body and he has several seconds to get out of there before the car blows. It's fast in Tokyo Drift, but when you see it again in Furious 7 it takes much longer to blow. Jason Statham has enough time to hit the car, get out, start walking away and call Dom before the car blows. If they really wanted to bring Han back as an "oh shit!" moment, they've definitely given themselves the opportunity to.

I'm not sure how I'd feel if they did that. Han's my favorite character in the series, but I like the tragic story he has going on. I'd be super excited if they wrote him back in, but part of me would also be super bummed that they made that devastating moment absolutely worthless. And I always got the feeling that after what happens to Giselle his character was just kind of done anyway. It felt to me like he was just living out the rest of his life in Tokyo until his luck ran out. If they could find a way to do it well I'd be all for it, but it would be treading on real cheap and risky ground that can potentially ruin the character.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By csl316
@mezza said:

@stonyman65 said:

I'm not sure how I'd feel if they did that. Han's my favorite character in the series, but I like the tragic story he has going on. I'd be super excited if they wrote him back in, but part of me would also be super bummed that they made that devastating moment absolutely worthless. And I always got the feeling that after what happens to Giselle his character was just kind of done anyway. It felt to me like he was just living out the rest of his life in Tokyo until his luck ran out. If they could find a way to do it well I'd be all for it, but it would be treading on real cheap and risky ground that can potentially ruin the character.

As much as I liked Han and how they could potentially do more interesting stuff with him, repeating the Letty return kind of seems like they'd be retreading the same ground.

So I agree that Han shouldn't come back. With Giselle out, and with Walker/Jordana gone, I like the idea of people coming in and out of this crew as the series continues. It makes it feel like there are real consequences, and there's a sense of growth and change in the "family." I feel like Vin Diesel and Letty are the core of the series and should be untouchable going forward, until they start reaching some real endgame stuff.

This is the kind of serious discussion I hoped this thread would spawn!

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#41  Edited By ArtisanBreads

Fast Five was good but I actually think the first movie is just as good, in different ways. I still think that movie does the best job with characters and solid story telling even if it is goofy as hell. Fast Five did not live up to the hype for me on here but it was good.

I thought Tokyo Drift is okay but not nearly as funny as I remember and actually mostly quite a boring movie. I saw it long ago and had a good time but turns out it was like the second time I smoked weed so kind of funny in retrospect to watch it now and see it's not actually funny. I wish there was more goofy stuff even in it like in the first movie but there really isn't. It spends a lot of time having nothing happen and on a lifeless romantic plot (which does give a couple of the films funny goofy moments, to be fair).

The whole thing has been fun to go through regardless with these podcasts and looking forward to the rest of the series.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#42  Edited By nightriff

5>3>6>1>2>7>4

7 is a mixed bag a jumps around a lot in my rankings. Overall I thought the movie missed on a lot of stuff, but weirdly enough handled the Paul Walker stuff fantastic and with respect (up until last week where they might bring the character back for future movies, so fuck them). Rewatching 4, its a better movie than I remember. Honestly I like/love all the movies, 2 is a bad movie that is great, 4 is an ok movie that is mediocre with entertaining bits.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Hunkulese

I'm pretty sure the series is about to lose Vinny entirely, especially with the head-on collisions to establish manliness and car jumping between buildings.

fodigga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

All you fucking heathens besmirching the good good name of Tokyo Drift

trulyalive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 17

@fodigga said:

All you fucking heathens besmirching the good good name of Tokyo Drift

How did anybody survive frequenting this website if they're so adamantly against Tokyo Drift?
Theory: They secretly love it but haven't found the strength to embrace the majesty that is DK's super smug face yet.

As for my ranking? 3 and 4 are fairly interchangeable but otherwise it's fairly resolute:
1-Fast 5
2-The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift
3-Fast and Furious 6
4-Furious 7
5-The Fast and the Furious
6-Fast and Furious
7-2 Fast 2 Furious

And the MVP of the franchise is not Han as most people assume but whatever coked up lunatic studio executive is in charge of brand management and coming up with these titles. God fucking bless.

Avatar image for the_dude_abides
The_Dude_Abides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By The_Dude_Abides

five was a genuinely good movie. so good in fact i had to watch six, another fine movie but then this thing happened...

those are actual screen grabs, i don't do photoshop. i thought my eyes were after breaking.

Kevin_Cogneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

5>7>1>4>6>3>2

I really did not like 6 much at all (though still better than Tokyo Drift & 2Fast), I'm surprised that everyone seems to be lumping it in with 5 and 7 like all three movies are the same. Letty's story is the only interesting thing about 6, otherwise I couldn't tell you what the hell that movie was about. A device that blinds an entire city, or some damn thing.

I'd love to hear some speculation about this apparent Dom heel turn from the F8 trailers. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Kurt Russell is going to turn out to be the big bad for this movie, and that we'll learn that he exploited the team in Furious 7 so that he could get the God's Eye for his own nefarious purposes. For a while it's Dom vs. the remaining Family, but in the end Dom convinces the team to switch sides (Jason Statham included, who expresses regret about Han and redeems himself in the end), and they narrowly escape from Kurt Russell's submarine with the microchip (there's always a microchip) thus preventing Kurt Russell from using it but making them all outlaws once again.

This series is way more fun when they're outlaws anyway. The whole super-spies with cars thing was fun in 7, but these guys shouldn't be working for the man, they should be sticking it to him.

tds418

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#48  Edited By tds418

5 > 6 > 7 >>>> 3 > 1 >>>>> 4 > 2

6 is real close to 5 for me, and 7 is real close to 6. I think the runway scene at the end of 6 might be my favorite scene of the whole series. The pure stupidity of a runway that never fucking ends and has to be like 20 miles long, combined with the otherwise overall excellence of the surrounding action, always amuses me to no end. Not to mention there's the emotion behind Gisele dying and Han's subsequent sense of loss, which sets up his character in 3. That scene more or less sums up what I love about the whole series; big, dumb action and telenovela drama. 5 still takes the top spot for me though, because it's probably a better movie start-to-finish, and because it was the first movie where all the pieces came together.

flasaltine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By flasaltine

Holy shit Fast Five is in the top 10 action movies of all time and the safe dragging section is top 5 action scenes of all time.

Fast and Furious is also pretty good but whatever.

I will still defend 2 Fast 2 Furious. That is just the type of shitty, bright, feel-good movie that doesn't get made today. It is modern enough to watch today, but still really takes me back.

BrainScratch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By BrainScratch

To me it's

1. Tokyo Drift

2. The Fast And The Furious

3. 2 Fast 2 Furious

4. Furious 6

5. Fast 5

6. Fast And Furious

7. Furious 7

The original "trilogy" are the best for me. They're the perfect mix between serious, goofy and "so bad it's good" and they're also a great time-capsule to a specific time and place of the early 2000s. The first and second places often change for me, depending on the mood, but it's always between TD and TFaTF.

Of all the newer ones, I feel like 7 just dragged for too long and started to take everything way to serious (8 feels the same way based on trailers), like they still do goofy shit but it doesn't feel self aware like it does on 5 and 6. It just feels like "hey we have this dumb truck with guns everywhere shooting at us and there's a submarine now but it's all so serious and dramatic".

To me, The Fast and Furious franchise is on it's best when it's "heist movie but with cars and some car culture", not when it's just a bunch of random over the top shit happening for no reason with a plot that seems to be made up on the fly as they go, that just starts to get into the xXx territory.