Favorite Bands and/or favorite Songs

• 62 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Esten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

CCR - Ramble Tamble

sikdude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By sikdude

I go through phases...

at age 15: NOFX, Black Flag, Dead Kennedys

age 20: Alkaline Trio, Converge, Lifetime

age 25: Blind Guardian, Iron Maiden, Manowar

now: NOFX, Black Flag, Dead Kennedys

thepullquotes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The three tracks I'm devouring this month.

Thundercat - Them Changes
As a bassist, Thundercat is cool as shit. most extended range bassists sound like a jazzy fart. Thundercat has a mellow spazziness.

Fucked Up - Remember Me(That's All I Ask)
I find it hard to listen to all of David Comes to Life in one sitting, but I'll often listen to the first half up to Ship of Fools, then play the character B-Sides, I love the speed of this song

Against Me! - Disco Before the Breakdown
This is one of my favourite releases ever, it's the point when the band went electric. in retrospect the lyrics make more sense.

AssInAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

A sample of the some of the lesser known artists/songs I really like would be:

• Chelsea Wolfe - 'Carrion Flowers' 'Feral Love' 'Maw' 'House of Metal'
  • Martin Grech - 'Holy Father Inferior' 'Ashes over Embers' 'March of the Lonely'
  • DarkHer - 'Moths' 'The Dawn Brings A Saviour' 'Lament'
  • Rome - 'The Torture Detachment' 'The Balled of the Red Flame Lily' 'The Death of Longing' 'L'Assassin'
  • Myrkur - 'Mausoleum' (live album)
  • Shape of Despair - 'Reaching the Innermost' 'In Longing'

Chelsea Wolfe is amazing. I'll have to check the others out.

WezqApe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By WezqApe

My favorites change all the time. I've been mostly listening to progressive metal for years with some side steps to synthvawe and some video game soundtracks. Only rap/hiphop artist I seem to be able to love is Aesop Rock.

Here are some of the artists that have kept their place in my playlist lately:

Ne Obliviscaris has been a constant in my playlist for about a year. Their compositions are wild and constantly changing but the balance between calmer and rougher parts is pretty damn good. Violins, clean vocals and acoustic guitar never seem to be at odds with the growling or other more metal parts. Everything goes together amazingly well. My favorite songs change constantly, right now it's Devour Me, Colossus, Pt. 1. I saw them live about a month ago and that gig went straight to the top of my list of favourite gigs ever.

Intronaut seems to be the other band this year that keeps coming back to my work playlist. The Direction Of Last Things is an awesome record, and Digital Gerrymandering has kept it's spot as my favorite from that album.

The last one that comes to mind is Carina Round. She's currently the other singer in Maynard Keenan's side (or is it primary?) project Puscifer. Some of her solo stuff is amazing and this live performance of Elegy is a great example.

Pilgrimm1981

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Pilgrimm1981

Bit of a music fanatic so it's extremely hard for me to name favorites. Instead I'll just list a couple of bands that I've loved throughout my adolescent and adult life, and that I've been listening more to again lately:

• Slint - Good morning Captain
  • Third Eye Foundation / Matt Elliott - Prepare for dissapointment
  • Pan American - Double Rail
matoya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#59  Edited By matoya

Literally the ONLY band I listen to is "The Protomen". Rock opera based on the Mega Man games. An absolute must listen to band.

Loading Video...

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My musical tastes seem to vary wildly every few months. The last few months have been a weird mix of metal (Kvelertak, Tribulation, Mastodon, Horrendous, Cobalt, Carcass, Gorguts) and synth pop (Tegan and Sara, Mitski.) Early 2016 I spent mostly listening to minimalist German techno (a weird obsession that started with Dominic Eulberg's "Flora and Fauna") and hip-hop (Big Boi, Kendrick Lamar, Kanye, Run the Jewels.) Not everything I enjoy listening to has permanent staying power though there are a few groups that always manage to come back into rotation at some point:

• The Delgados - "The Great Eastern" is an album that came out when I was studying music and listening to anything and everything. It stood out.
  • REM - I grew up in the 80s and kind of hated pop music at the time. Glam rock was a travesty. REM was the 80s' saving grace for rock and roll. Then "Automatic for the People" and "Monster" came out while I was in high school and they were cemented as probably my favorite band ever regardless of some of their later, crappier albums.
  • The Decemberists - Their first three albums are brilliant, weird, modern sea shanties. The prog-rock stuff they went on to do later is pretty good too, but peaked early with "The Tain" and never really got better.
  • The Rosebuds - A now ex-husband and wife duo, their albums are like a beautifully, simultaneously depressing and uplifting series of portraits of their lives from their debut "Make Out" singing about, well, getting drunk and making out to their somewhat more depressing, first post-divorce album "Loud Planes Fly Low" where they lament the shit they fucked up. Real personal stuff.
billmcneal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 6

I really love

-Beatles

-Beach Boys

-Led Zeppelin

-Creedence Clearwater Revival

-Cranberries

-Kinks

-Electric Light Orchestra

-Pink Floyd

HellBrendy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Kvelertak - Nattesferd. It's my go-to song these days, other than that I still crush hard on Spidergawd. Especially El Corazon del Sol, Tourniquet, and Made from Sin.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#64  Edited By bybeach

As other's have said, there are just so many, of Bands/LP's/songs that stay in my mind for the music they put out, except for 20 years when I just listened to what 2 college stations played over the air. I'm back to buying albums, be it digitally for the moment.

A band and it's album that has my total attention right now, because every one of the songs are good or better, (one of those kind of Albums) is Ride; Going Blank again. I mention it because it joins a list that is very long.

Going to add another album, Steely Dan; Countdown to Ecstasy. Again, every song was good or better. For some reason, I considered that particular effort to be 'trippy', though I knew the world probably didn't see it that way. That was the only music I really cared about from Steely Dan

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6