Favorite Mexican Dish Mega Poll

• 66 results
MocBucket62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

Poll Favorite Mexican Dish Mega Poll (324 votes)

Tacos 31%
Burritos 41%
Enchiladas 24%
Tostadas 6%
Nachos 25%
Tamales 12%
Quesadillas 26%
Tortas (Mexican Sandwiches) 8%
Taquitos 8%
Authentic Gorditas (Far different to Taco Bell's take) 3%
Authentic Chalupas (Also way different to TB's take) 3%
Menudo (Mexican Soup) 3%
Flautas 7%
Chimichangas 12%
Fajitas 23%
Chiles Rellenos 7%
Huevos Rancheros 8%
Chilaquiles 5%
Mexican Rice and Black Beans 12%
Anything that has Guacamole 12%
Anything that has Chorizo 12%
Anything that has Al Pastor Meat 8%
Other 7%
Whatever non authentic take on Mexican food places like Taco Bell or Chili's has to offer 9%
Don't care for Mexican food 4%

Who here thinks Mexican food is pretty dope? I do, and I just decided to make a mega poll to let the GB community vote on their favorite Mexican Dishes. This is also a Multiple Choice poll, so don't feel shy to pick different answers. Of course if I happened to leave out any particular Mexican dish, vote for Other and mention it in your post.

For those who haven't had authentic Gorditas or Chalupas before, here's the scoop. Gorditas are actually small pastries made of corn meal, or masa and are stuffed with meat, cheese, vegetables and other fillings. In short, its not a flatbread taco, or one that has cheese that glues the flatbread to a hard taco shell. Chalupas are more like tostadas, but are pressed to form more of a boat shape to hold its ingredients together. Its also named after a type of boat and is not a deep fried taco shell that holds ingredients. You can vote for Gordita and Chalupa if you like the Taco Bell variants, but know that they are vastly different to what they're named after.

• 
ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

I live in Texas so I eat Mexican food like twice a week. It's probably my favorite type of food!

OldGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Mole Poblano with Turkey. Yum.

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

Mexican food is rad. Tacos, Cheese Enchiladas, Fajitas, Huevos Rancheros, Chilaquiles, Chorizo got my votes as especially awesome. If I had to pick one, tacos. Tacos are the shit.

I like all variants of Mexican food as well, whether it be Autentico, Interior Mexican, Tex-Mex, New Mexican, or Taco Bell. I'm making some ceviche tonight, and I'm pretty excited about it.

Avatar image for chainreaction01
chainreaction01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Depends on the meat. Steak? Tacos every time. Chicken? Flatuas are my jam.

Shout-out to nachos as well, for when tortilla chips need some eatin'.

Iodine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Soft Shelled taco's are my number one, but I loathe hard shell, so for this poll I voted tamale

wrecks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Green Chili.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Blu3V3nom07

Stuff with calabaza, huitlacoche, or mango and chili. Tamales, yo. Chicharrones. Pozole. Barbacoa. Milanesa. Huarache. Fish Tacos.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Quesadillas are the best.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love me some nachos.

Scrawnto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tamales for sure. The best tamales I've ever had were at the farmer's market in Davis, CA.

Dvsshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't care I'm boring. I'll go for a good taco and torta anyday. Burritos are pretty close behind.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Stuff with calabaza, huitlacoche, or mango and chili. Tamales, yo. Chicharrones. Pozole. Barbacoa. Huarache. Fish Tacos.

Barbacoa is hit or miss. I've had some great barbacoa, and I've had some really terrible barbacoa.

The cafeteria at work has pozole about once every two weeks.

Things that should be on this list that hasn't been mentioned yet:

• Sopes.
  • Caldo de res.
  • Arracheras.
  • Any agua frescas -- except tamarindo, because f that.
  • Any pan dulce, e.g. mantecadas, empanadas (pineapple or pumpkin), marranitos.
  • Bunuelos.
  • Arroz con leche.
Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By Marz

born in a mexican family, raised in a mexican family, I really just prefer a nice burger :)

sgtsphynx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 32

#14 sgtsphynx  Moderator

Baja Mexican food is my favorite. Grew up in San Diego, traveled down to Baja often. Carne asada, carnitas, al Pastor, seviche. All fucking delicious.

Avatar image for excitable_misunderstood_genius
Excitable_Misunderstood_Genius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hey, this is just northern gringo food!

Where's the Sinaloan cuisine? Where's the Oxacan food?

ClockworkTony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mole all day, every day. Pair it with a sangria or jarritos.

Y'all don't even know about eating an entire cabeza.

Y2Ken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 28

It's all pretty great, but Burritos are my #1 with Fajitas in a close second.

I don't really care for guac, though. If it's there I'll deal with it (such as on nachos), but I'd rather go without.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My first choice would be a carne asada burrito or chimichanga. But honestly, it's all basically the same food but held together in different ways.

personandstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know it's the white guy answer but I love quesadillas. Al pastor or bust.

TehBuLL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By TehBuLL

Chimichangas for life. Its just a better burrito.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mole all day, every day. Pair it with a sangria or jarritos.

Y'all don't even know about eating an entire cabeza.

The entire thing or just the cheeks? I'm okay with lengua. When I was a kid, I remember my grandparents cooked a whole goat, including the head. They ate the brain too. The day before, the goat was my sisters' new friend.

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

It's all about Chile Relleno...and Huevos Rancheros...oh and Tamales...and Enchiladas...and Nachos...oh and Quesadillas...and...

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My first choice would be a carne asada burrito or chimichanga. But honestly, it's all basically the same food but held together in different ways.

This is like saying a hamburger is the same as a filet mignon.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Steak and/or chicken fajitas. Beef tacos are great as are chicken and cheese quesadillas..

thegrumpskin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Steak tortas are amazing. Something about them makes them way better than a regular sandwich.

Ericjasonwade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yo do you like this meat, cheese, beans on a tortilla or do you like this other meat, cheese, beans on a tortilla? My life is sooo hard with all these decisions.

vocalcannibal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Weird, this is something I was just thinking about a day ago. It was one of those thoughts that hit you out of nowhere for no reason, but I was like "damn I think enchiladas are one of my favorite foods ever" and I like every type of Mexican food I've tried.

I just. Really like things smothered in tasty sauces and covered in cheese, I think. And now I wish I hadn't seen this thread because I'm VERY hungry now. :(

mrpandaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I check marked everything but the last option.

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good fajitas are great all over the place and burritos are near impossible to fuck up but when it's done perfectly Mole Pablano is probably one of the best. There is a small Mexican restaurant run by someone from Southern Mexico(?) that I have been going to for yeaaaars. I'm happy you can get good Mexican food all the way in Aus.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sergio said:
@hunter5024 said:

This is like saying a hamburger is the same as a filet mignon.

That's not what I'm saying. Obviously there's a huge difference between barbacoa and carne asada. But the difference between a burrito and a taco is pretty small. You're just having the food delivered to your mouth with a different edible vehicle. It's like asking the best kind of sandwich, but having the poll options be sub, panini, open faced etc... If we want to get to the heart of this question I wonder if better poll choices would be carnitas, barbacoa, chorizo, carne asada and so on.

That being said there are definitely exceptions to my point: menudo is totally different from everything else on this list, but hopefully you get me better now.

ClockworkTony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By ClockworkTony

@hunter5024:I agree, it seemed weird that the categories were just different ways to serve similar ingredients. If we really want to get to the nitty-gritty lay out all the meats and see who wins. Pollo asado, carne asada, barbacoa, al pastor, chorizo, machaca, etc.

@sergio: Tongue, cheek, lip, my dad would get the eyes.

CastroCasper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Huevos All Day Every Day Son

nophilip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

Of your ethnic/regional foods (Mexican, Italian, etc), Mexican is probably my least favorite. I'd much rather have Indian or Middle Eastern. Give me some curry or shawarma any day.

btrdeadthanred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Carnitas all day. Love 'em. Fajitas or enchiladas are also great, but anything is good. Even Taco Bell has its moments.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

Fucking sopes man!

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hunter5024: I can agree with you to an extent because tortillas are a staple of Mexican food. A taco is very similar to a burrito. A huarache is very similar to sopes. Sopes are not the same as tamales, even though they may both contain pork, spices, and maize.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fucking sopes man!

Hell yeah! If I walk into a family run "authentic" Mexican restaurant and they don't have sopes on the menu, then I walk out.

DukesT3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I mean being Hispanic and all... I'd say all of it on that list man. I could go for some menudo his weekend too.

The_Tribunal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@starvinggamer: Yeah where are they. Fucking criminal to not have them on this list.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

P sure most of these are made up.

But honestly i love the boring basic mexican foods. I could also really go for a chile relleno right now, can't remember when i last uad one. Chorizo is alright too if i don't think too hard about what im eating. Don't think i could do the weird parts/organ meats if they were laid straight up in front of me.

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been really craving a burrito for a few days now. My vote may be skewed.

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

My palate is pretty standard for an American: tacos, nachos, quesadillas, enchiladas, and burritos.

However, the King, now and forever, is the almighty burrito. The past few years I have pretty much mainly eaten burritos. I've also had tacos and a few dishes that probably have an official Mexican food name I don't know about, but 90% of all Mexican food I have consumed as of late have all been burritos.

Growing up, I was all about quesadillas. That's what I ordered from restaurants and my mom would also cook them from time to time. Not super elaborate like making her own tortillas (although I think she did that a couple of times randomly as an experiment), but they were still really good. It's actually kind of a bummer, because the last few quesadillas I did have were kind of a mess. I had a similar reaction like I've had to eating a really greasy, disgusting hamburger, which are the only times Mexican food made me feel kinda sick (aside from eating way too much of a giant burrito).

SumMexican75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By SumMexican75

I eat this stuff every day... except Taco bell.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

I live in Australia and we have terrible Mexican food and I still love Mexican food.

There is one legit Mexican restaurant that I know of and frequent when I can (it's pretty far away from me) and it is the fucken bomb.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#45  Edited By monkeyking1969

I like American Mexican food, as interpreted by really good chefs used to making authentic mexcian recipes, so that it circles back to really excellent Burritos, Fajitas, and Quesadillas. I have had really authentic foods from Mexico - various stews, soups, and meat dishes - I enjoyed them. However, I think 'American Mexican' foods, the really nicely prepared fresh awesome stuff, is like comfort food for me.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Sergio

@clagnaught: Buy some Oaxaca cheese and some corn tortillas. Throw tortilla on an iron skillet, flip, add cheese on one half and fold over, flip. That was my childhood quesadillas.

I prefer the taste of corn tortillas over flour.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Just as an aside Chorizo is Spanish not Mexican, but otherwise yes I do like Mexican. Not the American fast food style 'Mexican' though as fast food in general is usually too fatty for me, although a well made burrito can be pretty special. Also obviously nachos are the king of table food.

ChrisTaran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love both real and fake Mexican food. I'll eat just about anything as long as it doesn't have cilantro or guacamole (both taste super disgusting to me and one of them leaves me in pain for hours).

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sopapillas! Honey all up on that.

Flan has its moments. Tres leches cake, churros. Maizena is the shit. (great, the strawberry one is my classic, growing up) Champurrado.

And throw on some Norteno radio station, and have good weekend.

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love me some authentic Mexican food, but recently I've become addicted to Taco Bell's quesaritos. I've heard rumors of Chipotle quesaritos, but have never felt comfortable enough to order one. I hear they dont like it much...