Favorite Snowbound Games/Movies

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SethMode

What with...whatever bomb cyclone nor'easter nightmare whatever is about to hit the East Coast, I was curious what some of your favorite games or movies to watch when the weather gets so dreary you wonder if you might just die when it's all said and done.

Mine personally, I don't get too creative: The Thing is my constant. I live in the American NE and lately it's basically looked like Antarctica, so that shit has been playing nonstop it seems (also, it's an amazing movie). Anyone else have a good snowed in movie (or game) that makes you feel even more snowed in than you did before?

stryk9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You're right about The Thing being an amazing movie.

The Hateful Eight is a good cold snowy night movie to watch and I meant to play The Long Dark this winter but didn't get around to it. I'd also say Lost Planet is a good game to get your snowy fix.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

Hmm, definitely Uncharted 2.

Movie-wise, I dunno. Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Fincher) and the Hobbit movies come to mind (specifically Desolation of Smaug, but the first one's cozy too).

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Hayt

Max Payne for those Fimbulwinter vibes. One of the best games with bad weather as a central feature.

Loading Video...

wollywoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For movies, Fargo is the first to come to mind. For games, I think of Freezeezy Peak from Banjo-Kazooie. That music... mmm. Tastes like Christmas.

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wollywoo: Fargo is a neverending favorite of mine. Good movie that makes you feel like you need to bundle up no matter what. Good call!

@stryk9: Boy you are not kidding about Hareful 8...have the same feeling. I am in what seems to be the minority of ADORING that movie, and particularly his role in it. Guess I'm a sucker for hunker Kurt Russell in inclement weather.

BoboBones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By BoboBones

Movies - The Thing. (1982)

Games - Anything Metriod or Zelda, Max Payne, Resident Evil,

Chrono Trigger, Red Dead, and GTA, are strictly summertime jams.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

Max Payne really does capture the winter atmosphere well. I also really liked the snow levels in the first two Halo games. Also, Transworld Snowboarding and the last bits of Journey.

The Thing is an undeniable winter movie, and the Hateful Eight is a pretty good recent one too. A few Kaurismäki films also capture the winter mood.

Loading Video...

TuxedoCruise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Skyrim is the most immersed I've been in the winter atmosphere. It has gorgeous sunsets and sunrises that interact beautifully with the Aurora Borealis. It has some of the best sounding snow crunching sounds while you're running. And it has a wide range of winter landscapes; from completely snow-covered whiteouts, to rolling fjords that still has a healthy amount of grass and evergreens with a dash of snow. I actually get a cozy feeling in real life when I duck into a tavern after adventuring out in the cold.

The Long Dark is probably the only other game that makes me feel cozy when I find some shelter out in the middle nowhere.

jaycrockett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 5

I love the snowy, empty New York City of The Division.

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tuxedocruise: Is the Long Dark still in Early Access? More importantly, since it doesn't work on my PC, do you have any experience with it on the Xbox or Xbox One X? Seems like a very good curl up during the bad weather game!

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By KillEm_Dafoe

The Thing is a perfect choice. I also really love 30 Days of Night and The Grey.

As for games, Condemned 2 is a winter favorite of mine, particularly when you get to the cabin level. So is the original Max Payne.

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

It doesn't snow where I am, so I have to live vicariously through movies and games. For movies, it is and always will be The Shining. For games, I feel like the public opinion on this game has soured, but I loved the original Lost Planet. It had a good feel to it, and trudging around in thick snow felt as clumsy as I imagine it would be in real life.

BrunoTheThird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By BrunoTheThird

Let's take The Thing and Fargo as red; we all know they are the absolute best.

Other faves: Home Alone, Edward Scissorhands, South Park: The Movie, Bridge of Spies, Cool Runnings, Dumb and Dumber, The Ice Storm (amazing movie, check it out), Let the Right One In, I am Not a Serial Killer (weird one).

Games: Penumbra, The Thing, Amped 3, Dead Space 3 (way more low-key and atmospheric than the second game), Arkham City, Metro 2033, Lost Planet, (great, arcadey, popcorny Capcom goodness), Silent Hill: Shattered Memories, Stick of Truth, The Division, Until Dawn.

TuxedoCruise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sethmode: The Long Dark left early access late last year, and it feels like a finished game. The free roam mode is completely finished, and so are the first 2 episodes of the 5 episodes of the story mode for season 1. I think the other 3 episodes will be free DLC, and other seasons after season 1 will be paid DLC.

My only experience with The Long Dark is on PC, so I'm not sure how well it runs on Xbox One or the X. It uses the Unity engine, so you could see how previous Unity games run on an Xbox One, with a grain of salt.

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By SethMode

@tuxedocruise: I'm giving the trial a go on the One, and it runs well and seems pretty cool! Thanks for the recommendation!

Quick question though: what in the hell is up with everyone having Steve Bannon/rampant alcoholic face?

TuxedoCruise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sethmode said:

@tuxedocruise: I'm giving the trial a go on the One, and it runs well and seems pretty cool! Thanks for the recommendation!

Quick question though: what in the hell is up with everyone having Steve Bannon/rampant alcoholic face?

That's what humanity looks like when they've been in the cold for so long that they've had all the literal life sucked out of them/or offspring of Steve Bannon.

craigieboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The second world in Croc: Legend of the Gobbos is snow themed and you leave footprints in the snow as you move and that blew my mind as a kid in the late 90s!

sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

Anything quiet, with lots of downtime. Wandering around open world RPG's is great for this.

Not a game or movie, but the band Agalloch has an album called The Mantle and it is excellent for snowy days.

BrunoTheThird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh damn, how could I forget Misery. King should do more snowy horror; it clearly suits him.

JonRambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Batman Returns is one I haven’t seen mentioned. I like that in the winter.

BrunoTheThird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonrambo: Very underrated. I love the music, the setting, Christopher Walken as Max "Nosferatu" Schreck. That scene with the window is so satisfying.

Avatar image for cheapbossattack
CheapBossAttack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I thought this said "favorite snowboard games" and I just jumped in here to yell SNOWBOARD KIDS... crap.

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cheapbossattack: Hey dude, do you have fun playing it when it's snowing outside?