Favourite architecturally interesting house near you?

soulfulsoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By soulfulsoul

Not the biggest or the most expensive, but the one that you like best, or find really interesting. I thought it might be really interesting to see different styles of housing around the world.

This is one of my favourites in my neighbourhood in Vancouver, Canada:

No Caption Provided

Oh, and one more, just because I really Iike this great simple design:

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for thecreamfilling
TheCreamFilling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

There's nothing spectacular around my area, but I would like something with an excess amount of ornate pillars or columns.

soulfulsoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really?! No one else is interested in seeing people's favourite houses from around the world? It's not meant to be a competition. Just post google street views of houses you like. It does seem that this message board is much less active than it used to be though.

theguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By theguy

I'm really interested but there are no especially cool looking houses near me :/

wjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I live in the suburbs of a large southern city in the States. All the houses look the same because that's how it is here; everyone is boring and wants the same things. There's an "old money" neighborhood just south of the city, but from what I remember as a kid, none of the houses were that interesting, just old and big.

Don't get me wrong, I like organic, Frank Lloyd Wright-style architecture, but there isn't a ton of style where I live.

djou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By djou

I used to live in an apartment at the corner of Washington and Lafayette in Brooklyn and walked by the Broken Angel house when it was not yet condemned. Not the most architecturally sound house I've seen but by far the most interesting.

No Caption Provided

mx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

No Caption Provided

This is near me in Utrecht, The Netherlands

HerbieBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Unfortunately, Calgary has some pretty stifling zoning rules, so architecture in so far as housing is concerned is pretty cookie cutter. I do like this house near my office though:

No Caption Provided

soulfulsoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@djou:

Wow! What is the story behind it?

soulfulsoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By soulfulsoul

@mx:

I was lucky enough to go there! It's one of my favourite modernist houses, but a little weird how it is stuck on the end of that row housing. I wasn't able to go inside, because they were restoring it when I was there in 2008.

mx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By mx

@soulfulsoul: Yeah not quite sure why that is but it Makes it standout even more I think.

djou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@soulfulsoul: Its a locally famous house in Brooklyn, or was. There's a wikipedia page about it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broken_Angel_House

Basically the owner was something of a local character and folk artist. He and his wife made their home into an evolving sculpture. I never got to go on a tour but it apparently had really wondrous interior. One of the rooms on the top floor was a full camera obscura. They did all the repairs and renovations themselves without building permits or meeting code, eventually the city came in an deemed it unsafe and demolished. I remember going to some rallies about it but it didn't amount to anything.

duskvamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was sure I saw this house on an advert for a restoration TV show here, but never caught it. It's quite interesting though and has a funky disco mannequin sat in the front window.

No Caption Provided

intro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By intro

Yeah, the owner of Bowflex built a huge ass house less than 15 minutes from me. It has an Olympic sized swimming pool in the basement and a creek flowing through the kitchen floor. The fencing around the house is worth more than the average house lol. He accidently built onto his neighbors property, and offered the neighbor 1 million for his land and house. I don't know if it's on google maps or not, it may have not been built when google's images were taken.

EDIT: Found it. The house on the bottom left was the one who's land he built and then bought from. Looks like he added a Tennis or basketball court there lol. My dad drives trucks and did a lot of pick ups at that house while it was being built and talked to a lot of the construction workers there. Also, a couple friends parents got to go inside for an opening party (their parents are very, very, very wealthy business owners here).

Street view is during construction, or else I'd post a picture of the fence.

No Caption Provided

My friend's house in Florida (not the Bowflex guy, that's by our houses in Ohio) is next to one called the Stingray house. I walked up to the backyard and drove his jetski up to the front with him a few times. Here's the picture of that house.

No Caption Provided

If you google stingray house there's a site that shows the entire inside I believe.