True Blood 2%
Eastbound & Down 1%
Treme 0%
Boardwalk Empire 3%
Girls 0%
Veep 1%
The Newsroom 1%
Other (Please Specify) 6%

Alright so first off just look at that fucking list! HBO has for years been my go to programming for TV for obvious reasons mostly being that they almost always make quality stuff. Out of the twenty shows I've listed here I've seen 14 of them (and own most of those 14) so yeah I clearly have a problem. I did not include miniseries (sorry Band of Bros) and skipped some of the shorter lived series which were less known (Enlightened etc.) so if you guys like those feel free to put other.

As of right now I am getting into The Wire (just finished second season Love me some Nicky Sobotka) and wanted to see the level of love GB had for HBO. Honestly anyone looking at this list and who hasn't seen many of these shows check em out they are on the whole awesome (ha ha).

Depending on the day of the week my personal faves are Oz and Six Feet Under. Over the years I have met lots of people who enjoy HBO but have skipped over Oz declaring it as a "prison rape show" to which my mouth curls and I argue with them for half an hour. Oz started it all really and begins the amazing cycle of serious drama (especially violent in this series, seriously like one death a show) and had great characters. Six Feet Under is much more subdued but knocks the family drama dynamic out of the park. The Fischer (I think that's the spelling) family is entirely believable (even though I loathe Ruth) and you follow them to what I can only describe as the single best finale I have ever seen for a series. Just saying.

I'll probably vote for Oz as it was my first step and I think it is so underseen and underrated.

So yeah my love letter to HBO laugh if you will but just watch at least one or two of these series and enjoy the awesomeness!! Give me your thoughts/opinions I never get to talk about this shit at length before people go yeah there good and then go glossy eyed when I try comparing them.

Runner Up: The Sopranos.

Current Series I Watch: Boardwalk Empire, Girls, True Blood and Game of Thrones.

Oh and one last thing, some of these series are great girlfriend tv share moments. She had to twist my arm to watch True Blood and Girls but they are fairly well written (and True Blood is stupid fun) and I got to force her to watch Game of Thrones and Oz so everyone wins :D

• 
donkeycow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

I voted for Rome because the scale of the show was unlike anything else I had seen on television up till that time, also i'm a history buff, but the Wire and Game of Thrones were not far behind. Also shout out to Flight of the Conchords, that show is bloody hilarious.

spiceninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 2

Game of Thrones got me into HBO and once I was in I marathoned Curb Your Enthusiasm over the course of 2 months. Shouldn't have done that because I don't remember much of it.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

Oz and Rome are two of my all time favourite TV shows. Can't pick one over the other. I also really like a bunch of other shows on that list. HBO really is awesome.

D_Bones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By D_Bones

@crusader8463: Psst pick Oz it needs the votes lol

Holy shit is this poll different from what I thought. Where is the love for the sopranos. Why so much love for GoT. Blowing my mind.

ThomasG666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#55  Edited By ThomasG666

Game of thrones and sopranos.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

@d_bones: It's the most recent show so it's going to be at the top of more peoples minds and more likely that people will have forgotten the older shows or how much they loved them at the time. I went with Rome for my choice. I love them equally, but I just love the roman/gladiator time period the most.

D_Bones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By D_Bones

Just curious about the opinions you guys have toward a couple of the shows I have never seen but have an interest in.

Big Love, Treme, The Newsroom (especially you folks picking it as your favourites) and Hung. These are a few of the shows on this list which I am ignorant of (well know the basic premises) but want to know where you guys fall on them.

universalize

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 42

#58  Edited By universalize

i'm interested in seeing many of the HBO series but for my fav it would be Game of Thrones followed by Rome. wasn't that big on The Wire but i liked it especially some scenes like McNulty and Bunk in S01E04 where they were investigating that crime scene. season 4 of The Wire had to be my favorite especially the intro, oh yeah.. Omar Little is the shiznit

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If Deadwood had gone a few more seasons and reached something resembling a true conclusion, it would probably undoubtedly be at the top of my list. However, as it stands, I've got to say Game of Thrones.

Couldn't we just say Deadwood and Justified are somehow linked and Timothy Olyphant's character is a time traveling gunslinger for good?

Nilazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#60  Edited By Nilazz

Six Feet Under was so good, that ending!... Makes me sad just thinking about it.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#61  Edited By Phatmac

How dare you for not putting Band of Brothers on this list!

mikeeegeee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By mikeeegeee

The Wire. The first season was hard to get into for me because of how many characters it throws at you (nearly all of whom stick around to be players in the remaining four seasons), and because of how much of the storytelling is done through conversation. Rarely do the characters specifically spell out what is happening with one another: instead, events occur, and the different factions (police, gangs, media, politicians, etc) are shown responding, and if you don't know who or what they are talking about, it's easy to get lost.

I've been rewatching the first season. Now, having a thorough knowledge of who everyone is, the arc they will take, and the events that will transpire, I'm exposed to the sheer brilliance of the show. It's no doubt the smartest show I've ever seen, and I find it commendable that they treat their viewers as adults by not hand-holding them through every event. "All the pieces matter" couldn't be a more fitting tagline for the show.

Also, once you've finished all five seasons, check out the wikipedia page for it. The amount of stuff going on behind the scenes, the amount of authenticity... it will blow your mind.

phuzzybunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By phuzzybunny

God damn that was a tough choice between Game of Thrones and Curb Your Enthusiasm but I had to go with Curb. I love that show so much!

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#64  Edited By EpicSteve

Band of Brothers and Generation Kill

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 17

#65  Edited By Tireyo

I don't have HBO.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#66  Edited By project343

Game of Thrones. I adore the book series, and I think the show is spectacular.

The Wire, Deadwood and Rome just aren't my sort of thing (nothing against them). But I really enjoyed what I watched of Boardwalk Empire, and I'd really like to eventually get into The Sopranos.

zaccheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By zaccheus

The Wire, probably the best TV-show ever made.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

1. The Sopranos
  2. Boardwalk Empire
  3. Game of Thrones

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Sopranos followed by Game of Thrones. Although I thought the newest episode was extremely boring. Maybe because I read all the books in between season 2 and 3...

Kerned

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Kerned

It's impossible for me to choose between The Wire and Boardwalk Empire. As a complete series, The Wire is impossible to beat, but by the time it concludes its run, Boardwalk might overtake it as the better series. They are both in a league all by themselves.

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

The Wire but Oz always has a special place in my heart.

HerbieBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By HerbieBug

The Wire is my favorite thing made with film. Of all television, all movies, everything.

I really should have a disc copy of it in my house for posterity. I rented and watched all five seasons on DVD back to back to back across the span of three weeks a few years ago. I'm going to order the Bluray set right now I think. :)

edit---- What the hell, man? This show isn't available on Bluray? I don't... I can't...? HBO doesn't want money? D:

edit edit--- I see it was originally shot in 35mm which means an HD version is entirely possible thing to do. Of course it would have to remain 4:3, which is fine.

TehBuLL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Band of Brothers for sure.

Svenzon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

Can't decide whether it's The Sopranos or Six Feet Under. I really need to start watching The Wire again, for real this time. I've gotten halfway through season one about three times before getting interrupted by something.

StrikeALight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Wire was just incredible, so that.

George_Hukas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wire isn't original or brilliant.. if you live in the hood :/

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#77 sweep  Moderator

The Wire. Band Of Brothers belongs on that list, too.

I love Game Of Thrones obsessively, but the Wire is definitely the fore-runner here. Oz got kinda ridiculous the longer it went on, and the Newsroom is a bit too 'MURRICA for me, but The Sopranos is undeniably brilliant.

D_Bones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By D_Bones

hmmm sorry for the necro bump just wanted to gauge interest in perhaps making an HBO character popularity contest. Seeing that I got 250 votes on this poll makes me think people would be interested but giantbomb users are a difficult bunch to figure out sometimes. What do you think?

Avatar image for deactivated-5985ee6460d86
deactivated-5985ee6460d86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Omar Little: Lesson here, 'Bey: You come at the king, you best not miss...

Seriously the Wire is my fav on this list followed by Game Of Thrones. Still I feel the Wire ain't a perfect show like many of its die hard fans like to say it is. I think season 2 is a bit boring especially because s01 was just so dame good and season 5 was just ridicules. I do think the show had a great or proper ending tho but the story line of s05 was just dumb IMO. Still I'd put s01,03,04 against any show out there and for the most part the Wire ends up winning but to say its perfect is beyond me.

Grissefar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Grissefar

The Wire. The first season was hard to get into for me because of how many characters it throws at you (nearly all of whom stick around to be players in the remaining four seasons), and because of how much of the storytelling is done through conversation. Rarely do the characters specifically spell out what is happening with one another: instead, events occur, and the different factions (police, gangs, media, politicians, etc) are shown responding, and if you don't know who or what they are talking about, it's easy to get lost.

I've been rewatching the first season. Now, having a thorough knowledge of who everyone is, the arc they will take, and the events that will transpire, I'm exposed to the sheer brilliance of the show. It's no doubt the smartest show I've ever seen, and I find it commendable that they treat their viewers as adults by not hand-holding them through every event. "All the pieces matter" couldn't be a more fitting tagline for the show.

Also, once you've finished all five seasons, check out the wikipedia page for it. The amount of stuff going on behind the scenes, the amount of authenticity... it will blow your mind.

Yeah man, you gotta watch it twice to really understand the magic.

Missacre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've only seen about half of those shows, but I have to say that Boardwalk Empire is my favorite out of the list. I also like how everyone seems to be forgetting The Pacific and John Adams. I loved those two in addition to Band of Brothers. I never liked Sex and the City and Entourage, and Game of Thrones is so fucking lame.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#82  Edited By isomeri

@tehbull said:

Band of Brothers for sure.

Yep, Band of Brothers is an easy pic for me as well. It's the only HBO show I've ever bought copies of. I've actually bought the series three times. Twice on DVD because someone stole my first copy and on BluRay which forever reason I've ended up with two copies of as well even though I could swear I've only bought it once on BluRay.

Loading Video...

coolarman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 9

Loading Video...

firecracker22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#84  Edited By firecracker22

The Wire.

It's just an amazing feat as a far as storytelling is concerned. Genuinely authentic, honest and interesting characterizations of the war on drugs, and almost an Elmore Leonard style of having both the good guys and the bad guys being morally gray and having flaws that make them feel human to the viewer.

And yeah, it gets major points for never dropping in it's consistency. I'm sad to hear it could have gone another year, had they the needed knowledge and resource to follow the theme they wanted, but it ended perfectly. Where so many other shows lose their way, and by the end can't even find the right way to go out, The Wire managed to do all of it right for me.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I can't even do this. Probably goes to Mr. Show, The Sopranos, Eastbound & Down, or Flight of the Conchords.

I've been watching Six Feet Under for the first time recently. I'm on season 3. That's a masterpiece too.

heis24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Game of Thrones is great, but anticlimactic when you know what is going to happen every episode.

Guesty_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Band of Brothers, easily. Must have watched it 4 times through. Not only my favorite HBO show, but my favorite war film/show full stop.

Runner up - Game of Thrones. I'm a huge fan of the books so it was almost a dream come true when I heard the new it was going to be a tv show. Only watched the first two seasons at this point though.