Favourite Vampire Movies

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By crusader8463

I'm curious to know what some of peoples favourite vampire movies are. I'm in the mood to find some vampire movies I might not have seen or have not seen in a long time and was wondering if some folks could recommend some of the ones they liked the best. Specifically I'm looking for something in the medieval/victorian time period, but anything will do.

Also, the darker the movie the better. While I enjoyed the Blade and Underworld style movies as action films, I'm kind of looking for something more serious and dark.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By MariachiMacabre

I thought the 1992 version of Dracula, with Gary Oldman as Dracula and directed by Francis Ford Coppola was pretty fantastic.

Avatar image for secondpersonshooter
SecondPersonShooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thirst by Park Chan-Wook is a great modern vampire movie that not enough people have seen.

I recommend that one.

The_Ruiner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Blade
The Lost Boys
Brides of Dracula

oldenglishc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Embrace of the Vampire is the best vampire movie ever made.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Stakeland

AlKusanagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By AlKusanagi

"Let the Right One In" and its shockingly competent American remake, "Let Me In," are great.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#8  Edited By GunstarRed

The Lost Boys

Fright Night (the good one)

John Carpenters Vampires.

Nitrocore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Nitrocore

Interview with the vampire.

IAmNotBatman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By IAmNotBatman

I would say they all suck but I think the idea of vampires in general is just real boring to me, so my opinion is most likely invalid.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By CaLe

Interview with the vampire and Blade. I think I liked Lost Boys but I was so young when I watched it that I can't really remember. Oh and From Dusk till Dawn, of course.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

• Interview with the Vampire
  • Underworld
  • Blade 2
  • Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust

Those are all that come to mind.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By falserelic

Alot too many to remember. Though I remember that one dark comedy movie Vampire In Brooklyn.

Loading Video...

oraknabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By oraknabo

Near Dark

Let the Right One In

Nosferatu (original and Herzog version)

Vampires Kiss (hilarious)

I like a lot of Hammer Draculas (and Captain Kronos), but I can't remember which ones are better than others--except the Legend of 7 Golden Vampires which was amazing team-up between Hammer & Shaw Bros.

Scampbell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Scampbell

Interview with a Vampire is probably my favorite Vampire movie, Tom Cruise is does villainous vampire pretty well. Though Kirsten Dunst as Child Vampire and all that entail, was definitely my favorite part.

From Dusk till Dawn is much more comedic and over the top, and generally dissimilar to Interview with a Vampire. Still one of my favorite Vampire movies.

Shadow of the Vampire is another strange but good Vampire movie. It is based on a myth related to the filming of Nosferatu (which is definitely not a bad vampire movie either), specifically the idea that actor playing the Vampire was actually a real vampire.

Thirst is a really weird Korean vampire movie with a lot of sucking. Really weird and interesting.

s-a-n-JR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#16  Edited By s-a-n-JR

The Twilight Saga

...just kidding.

Blade
Interview with a Vampire.

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By subject2change

Embrace of the Vampire is the best vampire movie ever made.

Oh Alyssa Milano, thanks for making that movie.

reisz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

• Bram Stoker's Dracula
  • Interview With The Vampire
  • Blade
  • The Lost Boys
  • The Hunger
  • From Dusk Til Dawn

Nice to see most of these mentioned already.

Bram Stoker's is the only one that really fits what you're looking for though, the only movie in recent memory that deals with vampires in pre-modern times is that prequel Underworld movie, those have always felt more werewolfy to me though.

I feel like I am forgetting something really good, I'm probably just thinking of Vampire The Masquerade though.

D_Bones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

interview with a vampire is awesome. action style I liked underworld, blade series, 30 Days of Night (I feel it is underappreciated) and the first half hour of Van Helsing lol. Let the Right One In is way better than the remake so watch it first. From Dusk Til Dawn is incredible and I still remember the first time I saw it, it was on tv and I was like oh cool tarantino and Clooney evil bank robber movie......then I was incredibly shocked half an hour later when it changed gears and became a vamp movie so strange. If you haven't seen the Lost Boys get on that shit. And while not one of my faves it is more competent than reviewers made it out to be, Daybreakers. The premise alone was interesting enough to keep me watching.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@reisz: Vampire The Masquerade is why I made the thread actually. I'm playing my first game tonight, the tabletop RPG set in olden times, and was hoping for some inspiration and something to get me in the mood. Halfway through Interview with a vampire and it seems to have fit the bill nicely. Will watch the others recommended another time.

HarlechQuinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By HarlechQuinn

Vampire Journals ( a Spinoff from the Subspecies series)

The Fearless Vampire Killers/Dance of the Vampires (more on the funny side)

Kindred: The Embraced (a TV series based on the P&P Vampire: The Masquerade)

Razor Blade Smile (a guilty pleasure directed by Jake West)

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Stake Land is pretty good.

Loading Video...

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#23  Edited By KillEm_Dafoe

The Subspecies movies might be right up your alley. I have no idea how well they will hold up today, but I remember the ones I saw as a kid being cool, and the fact that they were shot in Romania lends them weird authenticity and atmosphere.

I have not seen Let the Right One In, but I've seen Let Me In, and it's a pretty goddamn awesome movie. So is Stakeland, though the creatures in that are more like a cross between zombies and vampires rather than just vampires.

Blade 1 and 2, the Underworld movies, 30 Days of Night, From Dusk til Dawn, and John Carpenter's Vampires are my favorites.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I completely forgot about Interview with the Vampire. That's excellent as well.

bakumatsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I still like to watch Dracula: Dead and Loving it. But of course my votes go to Interview with the Vampire and Bram Stoker's Dracula.

GalacticPunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By GalacticPunt

Francis Ford Coppola's "Dracula" is a great interpretation of classic vampire stuff. Gary Oldman puts on an acting clinic in Dracula's many guises. Tom freaking Waits is Renfield. The music and willfully artificial sets are cool as hell.

"Let the Right One In" is a very modern, dark vampire movie. Maybe the most believable take on how they could live in secret among us that I've ever seen.

"Thirst" is another realistic, modern vampire story. Pretty thorough exploration of what it would be like to become one, and how thoroughly fucked up everything would become, going down that road.

And anyone with a functional PC should get "Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines" and apply the fan-made patch. Basically if anyone could distill the lore and vibe of the V:TM universe into a two hour movie, it would be the best damn vampire movie ever.

EDIT: How the fuck did I forget "The Hunger" by the late Tony Scott?!! Vampires in the Eighties had the best music, and the best lesbians!

Loading Video...

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Blade, Nosferatu, and Let The Right One In are all that come to mind. I've always found vampires a bit dull.

Of course, ever since I (finally) started watching Buffy, my interest in vampire lore has increased, so I'm looking forward to coming at movies I used to poo-poo with a fresh perspective. I definitely want to watch Interview With a Vampire at some point, since I loved the book.

Also, I've gotta replay V:TM:B now... (after I spend half an hour listening to that Chiasm song on repeat during the installation, as I always do when I revisit that game :P)

gokaired

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By gokaired

@falserelic: I love that movie :)

All so Interview with a Vamp and the Lugosi and Lee Dracular movies

Blade 1 and 2 as well. Nosferatu and Shadow of a Vampire

Sohkrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Immortality/The Wisdom of Crocodiles. Stars Jude Law in a unconventional vampire movie.

Let the Right one In. Make no mistake, much better than the remake.

Avatar image for equal_opportunity_destroyer497
Equal_Opportunity_Destroyer497

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

There really isn't much in the way of newer medieval/victorian vampire flicks but if that's what you're after you have only one choice. Aaaand that would be the old Hammer Dracula films. Despite their age they hold up very well and just drip with atmosphere.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By penguindust

I'm not a huge fan of the genre in general, but I liked Nosferatu (1922), Underworld (2003), Jackie Chan's The Vampire Effect (2003) [aka the Twins Effect] and Nightwatch (2004) / Daywatch (2006).

As much as I know it's garbage, I'm also drawn to space-vampire movie, Lifeforce (1985). I saw it first when I was a teenager and the female lead is naked during the first 10 minutes. It left an impression.

The best vampire focused story I ever saw was the British mini-series, Ultraviolet (1998). I recommend seeking it out if you can.

AlKusanagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By AlKusanagi

I just watched a pretty awesome movie involving vampires, but the fact that it involves vampires is actually a huge spoiler since nothing about the movie even hints at there being vampires until a key moment.

Even saying the title would be a spoiler since someone watching it for the first time wouldn't expect there to be vampires, so I'll just put the title in spoiler text- Werewolf: The Beast Among Us

reisz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By reisz

@crusader8463:

Awesome, I never pulled the trigger on entering a game. I had the opportunity to for a good couple of months and kind of wussied out. I hope you have a blast, Interview is one of my favourite films, it shares very little with the books but I've always really enjoyed it.

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 17

Blade, and the Buffy TV series.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By mordukai
Avatar image for creepyunclebrad
CreepyUncleBrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Let the Right One In comes to mind first, though it isn't a horror movie necessarily it is most definitely a vampire movie.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

Here are vampire movies I really like, though not in a specific order

• Let Me In/Let The Right One In (Actually prefer the American remake though both are fantastic)
  • Blade
  • Blade II
  • Lost Boys
  • 30 Days of Night
  • From Dusk Till Dawn
  • Fright Night (1985)

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

From Dusk Till Dawn is the only vampire movie I've seen that I liked. I would've put the title in spoiler tags, but no one else is so whatever.

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By MarkWahlberg
@d_bones said:

30 Days of Night (I feel it is under appreciated)

I liked that waay more than I was expecting to. It definitely starts out stronger than it ends, but for a B movie it was very effective, and the Dracula references were actually very well done.

Speaking of vampires, has anyone seen that new movie Byzantium? Good yes/no? Seems like it could go either way.

StormTrooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

fetchfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By fetchfox

@crusader8463: For something serious and dark I recommend the Swedish Let the Right One In, Interview with the Vampire, Bram Stoker's Dracula (a personal favorite), 30 Days of Night and the original Nosferatu. The last one is black and white silent movie from 1922, but still one of the greatest vampire movies. I highly recommend the restored version by Eureka, the masters of cinema series.

Edit:

Speaking of vampires, has anyone seen that new movie Byzantium? Good yes/no? Seems like it could go either way.

No, but now I really want to. It's gotten some good reviews and it sounds really interesting. I might catch a screening when (or if) it comes to Norway.

uniform

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I see most of my favorites have already been posted. I feel del Toro's Cronos deserves a mention.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

The Blade films, Underworld, 30 Days of Night and I especially liked Van Helsing.

xymox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Lots of decent ones mentioned already.

I'm gonna have to say Dracula 1931 though. Bela Lugosi + Vampire Bee + Dwight Frye? Yes, it's the best vampire movie.

Also, no one's mentioned The Hunger. Now, I don't remember if it's good or not, but who cares. It has vampire David Bowie.

dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Not a fan of them overall but I like Coppola's Dracula, From Dusk 'til Dawn and Fright Night.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@reisz said:

@crusader8463:

Awesome, I never pulled the trigger on entering a game. I had the opportunity to for a good couple of months and kind of wussied out. I hope you have a blast, Interview is one of my favourite films, it shares very little with the books but I've always really enjoyed it.

You should jump onto the forums for some RPG you are interested in and ask around if anyone is doing an online game. I made a post on the D&D forums to try and get a game going and was introduced to a skype group that just happened to be looking for some folks to start a game of Vampire. Had a blast last night playing it and when it was over they invited a friend and I to join them in a weekly game of D&D the following night that I literally just got done playing. Now with that one forum post I got 2-3 weekly nights of games to look forward to. It can be tough, but if you are persistent you can find a group. Just gotta put yourself out there in the right spots.

Vanick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Vanick
  • Blade series
  • Let The Right One In/ Let Me In
  • From Dusk Till Dawn
  • Underworld series
  • Stake Land
  • Daybreakers
  • John Carpenter's Vampires
  • 30 Days of Night
  • Once bitten
  • Buffy and Angel for tv series

I wish there were more really good werewolf movies. There are some but not many.

reisz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crusader8463: Good advice! Not something I am looking for right now with my family commitments but when the urge returns. I now have a good place to start, cheers!

Grimmrobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Let the Right One In

/thread

Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#50  Edited By Mezmero

Blade 2 is so ridiculous that I can safely say I like it more than the first movie. Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust is incredible. Gorgeous art, crazy good action, terrific voice acting, and a fantastic musical score. Those are probably my top two but I like plenty of others like Bram Stoker's, Interview With The Vampire, From Dusk Til Dawn, Let Me In, 30 Days of Night, and Underworld.