Fidget Spinner and my experience

• 95 results
UpperDecker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I'm usually the last person to hear about trends, new toys, etc. I heard about this Fidget Spinner and I thought, "That is stupid as hell and who would buy one?"

2 days later a single mom brought one in to my work, because her son was selling cheap knock off's for 10 bucks. Well I played with it for almost 7 hours straight and became hooked.

Next day, i went to a proper toy store and bought one. Mine is green and glows in the dark, but it's a licensed Fidget Spinner and not a cheap knock off.

I'm not a person who suffers from ADHD or ADD or whatever the news is saying this thing helps with, but I'll be goddamned if I'm not hooked on this thing! If i'm sitting at my chair at work, home, or whatever, i have my spinner out and spinning.

anybody else have some stories about these things? I've heard wonderful things about children with Autism using these. So weird how simple they are, but how addicting they are.

Once again, i want to reiterate, Huckleberries are not real in Montana, but this lil toy is fun!

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

Yeah, they look neat. I've seen some shuriken looking ones, and since then I've been mulling over the idea of getting one...

Also, you're not fooling anyone. We know you're pro huckleberry and that you just want them all to yourself.

UpperDecker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@themanwithnoplan: I swear to god. Mention huckleberries again and we go down in fisticuffs. Nobody eats them here!

Avatar image for deactivated-60481185a779c
deactivated-60481185a779c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I just had to Google "fidget spinner". It's 2017 and this thing is the latest fad the kids are into?

I'm confused. How is this supposed to help with focus?

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

@themanwithnoplan: I swear to god. Mention huckleberries again and we go down in fisticuffs. Nobody eats them here!

Hah, ok. And no one eats peaches here in Georgia. I'll leave it be though. Back on topic. Fidget spinners! They're pretty cool.

UpperDecker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dgtlty: I know it's confusing brother but try one. Seriously. It's hard to explain until you've held one.

UpperDecker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@themanwithnoplan: montana vs Georgia fisticuffs? I'd rather just ultimate chicken horse it!

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

Fidget spinners and vaping fall into the same category for me.

theuprightman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm a teacher in a secondary school with kids from age 11 to 18, they are everywhere, I have to confiscate at least three of them every day. They are just too distracting and the students keep playing with them under the table and then drop them.

A few of the more enterprising student have developed a black market selling cheap knock offs to other kids.

hans_maulwurf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I'm pretty sure "fidget spinner" is just a euphemism for a huckleberry induced high.

Luchalma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've never seen a spinner, but I know they're in that category of things I am meant to hate for some reason.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've lived through (and was into some of) so many toy trends, but it still astounds me every time a new one hits. They sneak up on you, and all of a sudden you almost have to actively avoid not finding one in your possession somehow. I remember when I had hundreds of POGs, and I'll be damned if I could tell you how I came to own them. They just became the Next Big Thing one day, and suddenly I had a collection without even seeking them out. I have no interest in fidget spinners, but just watch: I'll probably end up with one in my desk drawer by year's end.

(aside: We haven't had a good GB forum in-joke in a while, and this huckleberry thing is just dandy)

Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Hey guys, remember finger boards and bikes?

Hello? Anyone??

...I'm old.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I had a chance to play with a couple that my students brought in. It didn't do anything for me. Quite sure they're all knock-offs though as I'm in Korea. Maybe a properly balanced one is more appealing.

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

The last spinner I had was one of these in the 80s.

Loading Video...

I'm intrigued by these new string-less ones.

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Hayt

Not really different than any other fad I've seen go through schools. They are up to the "school creates rules around them" phase where I'm at. This will be followed by either banning or loss of interest by kids depending whether they grow or diminish in popularity. Remember bottle flipping? That was not long ago either.

Edit: Also I'd be wary of the whole "great for autistic kids" angle. I've worked in that area and there is an endless supply of bullshit marketed to people who just want to do right by their kid and will buy anything. See: http://time.com/4775458/shoddy-science-behind-fidget-spinners/

InternetDotCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm a fan of anything that stops kids throwing bottles around trying to get them to land upright.

I have a fidget spinner too, i was looking for toys to keep myself entertained during the down periods when i played For Honor, i wouldn't say i'm hooked on it but i used to skateboard when i was young and have a fascination with bearings, other little toys i have nearby are a flick knife, a training balisong, a zippo, a stress ball which i usually use as a low bounce low damage bouncy ball, and a pack of cards.

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@cikame said:

I'm a fan of anything that stops kids throwing bottles around trying to get them to land upright.

Amen. My nieces and nephews all went through that fad, and that noise is emblazoned on my brain forever.

@cikame said:

I have a fidget spinner too, i was looking for toys to keep myself entertained during the down periods when i played For Honor, i wouldn't say i'm hooked on it but i used to skateboard when i was young and have a fascination with bearings, other little toys i have nearby are a flick knife, a training balisong, a zippo, a stress ball which i usually use as a low bounce low damage bouncy ball, and a pack of cards.

I find the fidget spinner inoffensive, although I don't quite understand the fervor. I feel like I should be the market for this thing, too, as I've always been a little "fidgety", especially with empty hands. I've constantly got some rubber band or stress ball in my hand, but the fidget spinner just isn't ergonomic/tactile enough or something.

Also, this thread is incomplete without this:

notkcots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Another teacher here; these things have become ubiquitous among 9th and 10th graders. If they help kids with ADD focus on class content then I don't really care if they have them, but when an entire class is screwing around with them instead of paying attention something needs to be done. They also look really, really stupid, like you're cosplaying as the guy from Dark Sector or something. What ever happened to learning to twirl a pen or passing a quarter between your knuckles? Seems like it would serve the same purpose while making you look like 100% less of a tool.

Strangestories

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Strangestories

As an adult diagnosed with ADHD, just want to say these would have been a godsend in high school. These days I just doodle random shapes with a pen that feels good during meetings/classes.

They're going to get banned for everyone, though, so the kids who get some benefit from them won't pretty soon.

Johnny_Sailor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@trilogy: yes! Thank you! I think that these fidget spinners are incredibly stupid, but these things are nothing new. Finger boards, pogs, and even a yo-yo are all the same kind of thing. This is definitely not a "kids these days" situation.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@trilogy: i remember alf.

remember alf? he's back.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Jesus_Phish

@crommi said:

How are these still a thing? I got sick of them half a year ago when everyone and their mother wanted one, my machine was basically a fidgetspinner-printer for month and a half. Also that remark about "licensed spinner" and cheap knockoffs kinda rubs me the wrong way, the typical 4-bearing spinner and it's most popular variations came out from Thingiverse and are available for anyone to download. You can't make a cheap knockoff of something that no one has ownership of and is intended to be shared, modified and produced by anyone.

Because now they're in shops everywhere after someone in China decided to mass produce them as opposed to what you're talking about, which is you individually 3d printing them on demand it sounds like.

The "licensed" remark is because the company behind Fidget Cube make and market their own brand of Fidget Spinner. Just because something is up available for download and printing on a 3D printer, doesn't mean nobody has ownership of something.

btrdeadthanred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By btrdeadthanred
No Caption Provided

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

I look forward to my first fidget spinner coming when they're at garage sales everywhere right alongside pogs and the monster faced bouncy balls.

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

These things seem to have come out of nowhere. I don't fucking get it. Maybe I'm not supposed to? It's such a bizarre, random thing to suddenly become a fad. Seems like something that would've been big in 2000.

ichthy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I had no idea they were even thing until I took a trip to Hawaii last month, and saw them being sold at the gas station, along with cheap knock-offs of the Fidget Cube. Didn't think much of them, but then started noticing they were everywhere.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

These things are literally being sold on every corner of my town. I'm kind of tempted to buy one.

oldenglishc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By oldenglishc

Wacky Wall Walkers 4Lyfe.

Avatar image for octopusrocketmark
Octopusrocketmark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just when I decided to get one, they're sold out in all the local stores in my area. I'd give up a big plate of huckleberry cobbler just to get one!

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

PSA: Keep your huckleberries away from fidget spinners. It only takes one rogue huckleberry to gum up the spinniness.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Turambar

Fidget spinners seem to be a fad that came and went pretty quickly over the course of about a month or two here in Casablanca. Haven't seen any of my students pull one out in awhile.

lead_dispencer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't care for the ball baring spinners. I want that fidget cube. I always play with something at my desk job whether it's flipping a pen or a plastic company themed slinky or a soft foam ball. The cube seems neat to me. I don't have any diagnosed add or anything like that either.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By NTM
Goboard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I only just recently heard about these and can understand why people might get hooked on them. In college I had a flash drive with a rubber cap and I would usually hold the rubber cap and spin it around in my hand or with my phone I would hold it so that it was horizontal along my palm and spin it around front to back in a smooth motion. Both of these things helped me focus while working on something. This just seems like someone finally found a way to commercialize pencil twirling.

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#39  Edited By Cirdain

@btrdeadthanred: That made me laugh very loud for 2 minutes :D

How durable are the spinners, do they last more than 2 weeks?

ATastySlurpee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Are you the huckleberry guy?

Did you put huckleberries on your fidget spinner?

Avatar image for alwaysbebombing
alwaysbebombing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By alwaysbebombing

I guess the students will just go back to playing with their phones like god intended.

Also, didn't I read in The Guardian that the woman who created them was screwed out of all the millions they are worth because she couldn't afford the patent?

If I'm right that's totally fucked.

TanookiSuit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They're dumb, mostly harmless things. I twirl pens ALL the time in meetings just out of boredom. I can't imagine sitting in a meeting with one of these things though. They seem more distracting than helpful for concentrating. *Shrug*

flasaltine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Capum15

@trilogy: Boards were neat but, as with real skateboards, I couldn't do anything cool with them.

The bikes were rad though. Loved those. I probably still have one somewhere, though it might be in pieces because I remember tiny screws coming loose after a while.

Used to be able to do neat tricks with Yo-Yos too, those were fun. I clearly, very clearly, remember a day in grade-school where I had five taken from me by the teacher. She'd take one away and then a minute later I'd just pull out another one. Me and a friend were trying (and probably failing) so hard to not lose it and just crack up laughing. I know we did after school. I think I got them back at the end of the day? Or the week, not sure. Either way I didn't do it again but even now I find it hilarious.

As for the topic, I've never really seen them until...this week, thinking about it. Or at least it never registered as a "thing" for me. They seem odd and I don't really "get" them but hey, to each their own. Wouldn't mind playing with one to see but not gonna go out of my way to get one.

Also I love this whole Huckleberry thing.

chrispaul92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Most of the teachers at the school my parents teach at have banned these things from the room. Boy do my parents despise these things.

FearMyFlop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I got my son one and I messed with it for a while. It's nice and it feels nice to spin it around. I don't get all the lame internet hate on it.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#47  Edited By monkeyking1969
Yeah, I have a voodoo doll on my desk too...doesn't everyone?
Yeah, I have a voodoo doll on my desk too...doesn't everyone?

I made one on my 3D printer, it is actually for a student who wanted one. I think I need to do something to the ball bearings? Like degrease them? Not sure if that is correct or not. I figure if the library makes them at cost, the kids don't have to waste their money on them.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I guess the students will just go back to playing with their phones like god intended.

Also, didn't I read in The Guardian that the woman who created them was screwed out of all the millions they are worth because she couldn't afford the patent?

Not, sure you could patent a spinner? It is a bit of plastic with four common ball-bearing in it. The "prior art" of a thing that spins freely on a ball bearing is likely not patentable. Because anything that used a ball bearing would be 99.7% similar in any meaningful way you could patent. Moreover, I could just copy your "spinner" and call my thing a "skateboard toy" or "centripetal force gizmo".

Inresurrection

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know, I got one this week and so far it's fun and helpful when I'm too distracted or I need to concentrate too much to meditate. I spent a few extra bucks and got a nifty metal shield-looking spinner from Amazon.

No Caption Provided

Luchalma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They've already been banned at my kids' school. Like, two days after I even heard of the things. I wish my kids cared about them, because I would buy them 1000 fidget spinner each if it would get me one freaking day where they aren't talking about Five Nights at Freddy's. A game they've never even played, mind you.