Film Review: Bruno

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

I was surprised that there weren't any threads about this already! 

When I finished watching Bruno last night I realized something profound. I realized that throughout those 88 minutes, I was at least chuckling at the hilarious antics of Sacha Baren Cohen's Austrian alter ego, when I wasn't laughing hysterically. Fans of Borat or Cohen in general need not read on, as this film is one of the funniest in recent memory.

The story is this: Bruno hosts Austrian's second most important fashion TV show, Funkyzeit. When Bruno's ambitious "velcro suit" prototype gets him kicked out of the country, he flies to LA with his assistant's assistant (yes you read that right) Lutz to become "uberfamous". Along the way, Bruno meets celebrities, pitches a TV show, and nearly commits "carbocide" in his pursuit for fame and fortune. Many would think that this "plot" is an excuse to string together a bunch of leftover's from "Da Ali G Show", but that's not the case. 

As one would expect, the film is chock full of gay jokes. The movie has a lot of naked male dicks waving around, and it's hilarious every time. I suppose someone could write the movie off as a one trick pony in that regard, but if it ain't broke don't fix it right? During the showing I attended, three people walked out, two of them were fathers with young children. It was this that made me uneasy during the film. No, the dicks didn't freak me out or anything (though a number of girls in the theater were screaming), but the amount of homophobia in America that the film showed was startling. The scenes where Bruno attends a white trash UFC knock off and goes hunting just show how ignorant some people can be (no really, the fake UFC part is crazy).

And that's not to say all of the jokes are directed to gays. As in Borat, Cohen picks on everyone. We get some Jewish jokes (the Hitler references are copious), Black jokes, White jokes, everyone gets a turn. Many will question the legitimacy of some scenes, and while I don't believe all of it was unscripted, the scripted and unscripted are simply hilarious. Cohen gets himself into some pretty dangerous situations and keeps pushing buttons.

You could label Bruno as "Borat with moar gay jokez", and to an extent you'd be right. The movie definetly isn't for everyone, but if you were a fan of Borat you'll love Bruno. As shallow and tasteless as many of the jokes will seem, there are quite a few jokes that will go right over the audience's head, perhaps ever your own (a Hitler reference near the beginning of the film comes to mind).

Rating: 5/5. A must see

Keyser_Soze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Keyser_Soze

The only genuinely funny thing Sacha Baron Cohen ever did was Ali G, and that faded after time as it was essentially a one hit wonder. Borat and Bruno, even in their earliest days from watching them were never funny, it was effectively a case of "outside in" piss taking, make fun of those you find a little silly on generalisation terms.

SlayerNoMercy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By SlayerNoMercy

sweet review, im really excited to see it this weekend :)

WitchHunter_Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By WitchHunter_Z

I'm sure I'll go see this with some friends. I will laugh, they will laugh, we will riff on the offended people leaving for even more laughs.

lemon360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6  Edited By lemon360

did it top borat?

Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Demyx

I don't think walking out of an R rated film with copious amount of dick is homophobic, just my opinion though.

But at the same time, what did they expect?

lethalki11ler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8  Edited By lethalki11ler
@Demyx said:
" I don't think walking out of an R rated film with copious amount of dick is homophobic, just my opinion though.But at the same time, what did they expect? "
Totally agree
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lemon360 said:
"did it top borat?"
I haven't seen Borat in a while, but I think it did.

@Demyx
said:
"I don't think walking out of an R rated film with copious amount of dick is homophobic, just my opinion though.But at the same time, what did they expect?"
Oh I don't either, believe me. I don't know what they were expecting either.

aceedkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By aceedkins

I saw it last night and absolutely loved it. Cohen has some serious balls; There is no way in hell I could interview a terrorist or try to get Ron Paul to be in a sex tape with me.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By iam3green
@Demyx:  i wasn't expecting any dick in the movie. it was still funny.  the movie was very funny in some parts. it just shows how people are with gays, especially down south. the UFC thing is like liked straight something, brunos name is straight dan. his assistance's assistance calls him a fag and everyone gets quite. his like who called me that. they end up making out in the ring people are all surprised start throwing their beers and food at them. one part someone threw a chair at them.
Sabata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Sabata

Parents who take their kids to R rated movie and then for some reason get shocked and surprised at the content are terrible people.

CowMuffins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By CowMuffins
@Sabata said:
" Parents who take their kids to R rated movie and then for some reason get shocked and surprised at the content are terrible people. "
And it's annoying as all get out. Especially when the kids yap the entire time.
Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By Nasar7

I thought this wasn't coming out until the end of july, sweet surprise!

TheePeaceFrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By TheePeaceFrog
Nice review. I can't wait to see it.
Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Demyx

I personally thought it was okay. Its definitely not my type of money, but it did have its hilarious moments. But I mean, just wow.

Protoroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Protoroll

That movie was ten times as messed up as I thought it would be, but I still loved it. Three sets of people left during the movie and that to me made it even funnier. How could they bring their kids to an R rated movie and get pissed at whats on the screen. It just does not make any sense to me.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#18  Edited By RHCPfan24

I was still shocked by the film's perversity but I enjoyed it. It was not as good as Borat and a lot of Borat's flaws (gets slow around 3/4 in; some jokes fall flat) are magnified even more in this film. Still, there were some moments of genius in there, such as the Ron Paul "sex scene" and the scene with the parents of child actors (so horrible, my god). I would recommend it but don't expect it to top Borat. But expect a lot of penis, that is for sure XD

ahriman22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ahriman22

I loved it. I definitely loved throwing popcorn at the idiots who took their kids or left because the R rated movie contained... *gasp* R rated material! God forbid.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By CL60

It was great.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#21  Edited By Willy105

Yeeeeech!

Freedom of Speech allows for some loopholes.

Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#22  Edited By Wolverine

I saw Bruno friday and while it was hilarious it had a deeper message, for example there is a part of the movie where Bruno is interviewing parents to get there kids in a photo shoot. Bruno asked one of the women if her daughter who weighs 30 pounds could lose 20 pounds in two weeks. The mother said she could and Bruno asked that if she couldn't lose the weight in two weeks if the mother would let her daughter get liposuction and the mother said it would be fine. It exposed how much these parents didn't care about there kids safety and well being.

zityz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By zityz

I didn't know it came out. Also dick jokes never get old.

Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Bruce
@Everyones_A_Critic:

You're overrating it quite a bit. It was a bunch of sometimes clever, sometimes tastless, satire with maybe two or three big set-piece scenes. I left smiling, but I only laughed really hard maybe a total of four times.
dethfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#25  Edited By dethfish

I don't know if dicks make for great comedy. I do think that peoples reaction to them is funny as hell though. They either quickly look away or look extremely uncomfortable. Now, if a dick were to crack a joke or something then that'd be hilarious.

And what the hell?! People took thier kids to this movie? What the fuck is wrong with them?

Disengage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26  Edited By Disengage
@Everyones_A_Critic said:
"

You could label Bruno as "Borat with moar gay jokez", and to an extent you'd be right. The movie definetly isn't for everyone, but if you were a fan of Borat you'll love Bruno. As shallow and tasteless as many of the jokes will seem, there are quite a few jokes that will go right over the audience's head, perhaps ever your own (a Hitler reference near the beginning of the film comes to mind).

"
???
JazzyJeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By JazzyJeff

I didn't laugh out loud so much as just sitting there, watching closely with fascination.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#28  Edited By jakob187
@Sabata said:
" Parents who take their kids to R rated movie and then for some reason get shocked and surprised at the content are terrible people. "
No, they're fucking stupid people.

Either way, looking forward to checking this flick out.  Might be seeing it tonight.  Gotta call my cousin...now that I think of it.
PercyChuggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By PercyChuggs
@ahriman22 said:
" I loved it. I definitely loved throwing popcorn at the idiots who took their kids or left because the R rated movie contained... *gasp* R rated material! God forbid. "
Yeah, because throwing popcorn at people doesn't make YOU an idiot at all, does it?
tekmojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By tekmojo

Looks awesomely hilarious, can't wait!

sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#31  Edited By sjschmidt93

Doesn't look very good... I'll pass.

DrainDeimo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By DrainDeimo

I love when parents take there 10 year old to R rated movies and are surprised to see R rated stuff.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Azteck

I really didn't enjoy Borat at all, it was more of a pain watching it, I wasn't offended, I was more disgusted. I won't watch this movie either, as it's probably another waste of money.

Please don't hate me for my opinion.

Lashe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Lashe

Watched this with my girlfriend today and I must say it was the best comedy I have seen in so long, much better than Borat imo and the issues highlighted were a far more startling this time round. Cohen has balls though, I have no idea how he gets away with half the stuff he does.

Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Bruce
@Lashe:

His movies are so low budget (Relatively) that he makes MILLIONS doing this type of comedy. For that level of money, I'm not surprised he does things like that. He also has a ton of connections to set these things up.
FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#36  Edited By FLStyle
@Keyser_Soze said:
" The only genuinely funny thing Sacha Baron Cohen ever did was Ali G, and that faded after time as it was essentially a one hit wonder. Borat and Bruno, even in their earliest days from watching them were never funny, it was effectively a case of "outside in" piss taking, make fun of those you find a little silly on generalisation terms. "
I thought the early Borat stuff surpassed Ali G. I enjoyed Borat on the Bling Bling DVD a lot more. I've never laughed as much as the time Borat squated down in the urinal at the Bowling Club. He almost starting laughing himself when he wasn't looked at, it was that good.
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Disengage said:

"@Everyones_A_Critic said:
"

"
???"

I see. Thanks for pointing that out, I'm fucking retarded.

ahriman22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By ahriman22
@PercyChuggs: It's always fun to watch people curse at the wrong people in a dark room.
Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e0ee2ea170
deactivated-5e0e0ee2ea170

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

I loved it, specially the bit where his Japs Eye says "Bruno" lol and I loved the gay fight scene at the end and when he shows his show to the Focus tests.

angelkanarias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By angelkanarias
awesome, the only reason I am not going to see it, at least at the cinemas, is because the spanish voice-overs are horrible and the jokes don't make sense.
Avatar image for deactivated-5884be30433ec
deactivated-5884be30433ec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was hilarious. Wish it was longer though
The focus group scene was maybe the best lol
Wish they did more interviews and stuff.
I was laughing so much when he was an extra on Medium.
Great laugh.