Finally forcing myself to type properly (Blog post) (>.<)

Jolly_Lolly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By Jolly_Lolly

Yeah, and it's a real bitch. I've always typed with just my two pointer fingers (believe it or not), and have learned to type pretty quickly that way. But the problem is that I tend to misspell a lot of words in the process, and I think typing properlly is long overdue.  

So my question is, do you know how to type correctly (meaning you place four fingers on "asdf" and the other four on "jkl;") or do you type a different way?  

(BTW: This entire post was typed using the four finger method, and it took me roughly 5-7 minutes. I hope that isn't embarassingly slow, but if it is, I at least feel myself beginning to feel more comfortable). 

Thanks for reading, 
~Jolly

Jolly_Lolly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Jolly_Lolly

Yeah, and it's a real bitch. I've always typed with just my two pointer fingers (believe it or not), and have learned to type pretty quickly that way. But the problem is that I tend to misspell a lot of words in the process, and I think typing properlly is long overdue.  

So my question is, do you know how to type correctly (meaning you place four fingers on "asdf" and the other four on "jkl;") or do you type a different way?  

(BTW: This entire post was typed using the four finger method, and it took me roughly 5-7 minutes. I hope that isn't embarassingly slow, but if it is, I at least feel myself beginning to feel more comfortable). 

Thanks for reading, 
~Jolly

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Fallen189

Everytime I sit down at a PC, my hands instinctively go to WASD. (WIZAAAAAAAAAARD)

As a rule, where the small indentations are on your keybaord is where your two pointer fingers should go.

Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Stang

I learned to type correctly in high school. It is uncomfortable as fuck, but is pretty necessary, especially in a business environment. Seems petty I know, but using 2 fingers just doesn't cut it if you are after proficiency. Good luck my friend, it will be like learning to walk!

Absurd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Absurd

I'd say I pretty much type properly with the exception that my middle finger rests on the W.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#5  Edited By Claude

I always type properly. It takes practice, but once you get the flow, it owns big time... fast and efficient.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#6  Edited By Video_Game_King

Yea, I type the way you're taught in high school keyboarding classes. IE, having ASDF hammered into your head and the final exam consists of typing a copy of Atlas Shrugged without any typos. Since we all involved from monkeys, the test is impossible.

Avatar image for deactivated-596b8044e5f9a
deactivated-596b8044e5f9a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm also a two pointer typist.

Oh the shame!!

karneh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By karneh

There is no proper way to type. If it gets typed. If it's fast. If it feels good for you. It's good.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By CL60
@Karn said:
" There is no proper way to type. If it gets typed. If it's fast. If it feels good for you. It's good. "
citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#10  Edited By citizenkane

I use mostly four fingers.  Wait, what are we talking about again?

ZING!

Dr_Feelgood38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11  Edited By Dr_Feelgood38

I'm a loser. I've been typing "properly" since I was in about 3rd grade. I'm not an amazingly fast typist or anything, I cap out and start making a lot of mistakes at around 65-70 wpm. I have friends who don't type properly and can still type as fast or faster than me.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#12  Edited By ArbitraryWater

I learned to type over the course of middle school, when I was writing perhaps the most epic choose-your-own adventure novel ever made... with my classmates as the characters. Of course, when I actually finished it, the Principal got her hands on it, suspended me for a day, and removed all my locker privileges for the rest of the year. 

Why? Because (in my book, but also probably in real life) she was a stalinist who was trying to have a zombie army invade my school through a portal to hell. The main character (a friend of mine, but not actually me) has the option of "stopping" her. With a gun. I know what you are thinking, but the tone was silly enough that it hardly could be considered serious.

Yeah, 9th grade was a bitch.

Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By Black_Rose

I didn't even know there was a "proper" way of typing :s

CoolDrMoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 11

#14  Edited By CoolDrMoney

I still look at the keyboard when I type!

Jolly_Lolly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Jolly_Lolly
@CitizenKane said:
" I use mostly four fingers.  Wait, what are we talking about again?  ZING! "
SINNER! :p 

@Stang
said:
" I learned to type correctly in high school. It is uncomfortable as fuck, but is pretty necessary, especially in a business environment. Seems petty I know, but using 2 fingers just doesn't cut it if you are after proficiency. Good luck my friend, it will be like learning to walk! "
Yeah, I imagine I'd look pretty silly typing the two finger way in a professional environment, hah. 
Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By Gunner

I used to type just like that, with just the two index fingers, Over time i just trained myself to type normally. I even looked at online guides to see whats the best was to place my fingers... I don't think i have ever felt more like a nub than on that day.

Avatar image for themustachehero
TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By TheMustacheHero

You type like my grandma XD

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By JoelTGM

My left hand sits on WASD, shift, spacebar, and my right hand just types with the middle finger, except for pressing shift or backspace sometimes.  It works well enough.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By Scooper
@Black_Rose said:
" I didn't even know there was a "proper" way of typing :s "
Neither did I and I can type pretty fast. I only use my index finger on my right hang but use all 4 on my left hand.
Avatar image for origina1penguin
Origina1Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Origina1Penguin

I've always typed with only my pointer fingers.  I think I had a typing class for like two weeks in middle school, but it did no good.  I still typed faster with two fingers.  I was never shown how to hold a pencil properly either, so I write with every finger instead of three like "normal" people.

EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By EvilTwin

I had a typing class in middle school that taught the "home row" asfd jkl; and I've never typed any other way since. 

Lunarbunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Lunarbunny

I learned more from AOL Instant Messenger than I did from Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing, personally.

Sabata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Sabata

I type weird.  I use all my fingers but I just start at the first letter of whatever I'm typing and go from there.  Work for me. 

dethfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#24  Edited By dethfish

I just looked how I lay my hands on the keyboard. It's weird. My fingers basically just lay diagonally across the keys. I know that's not the proper way but I still type relatively fast without looking at the keyboard. 

Maybe my hands are that way because I'm using a laptop. I always remember having my fingers on the "home row" when using a proper keyboard.

Babble

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Babble

I still can't understand why/how people type with just their pointer fingers.

Jolly_Lolly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Jolly_Lolly
@Babble said:
" I still can't understand why/how people type with just their pointer fingers. "
Well, now that I think about it, I use my index finger too sometimes if I'm typing relatively fast. But I dunno, I guess I just got used to it, I don't even have to look at the keyboard most of the time, if at all. 
TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#27  Edited By TheGreatGuero

I use like five fingers total from both hands to type. I'm all index fingers, thumbs, and my right ring finger is used to hit enter. I've tried adapting to the asdf style, but I struggle with it and it just feels very uncomfortable to me. I'm told I type very quickly and I think I certainly type very efficiently this way, so I have no intention of really changing. It may be a little slower in the long run, but whatever. I think I type just fine.

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#28  Edited By Hamst3r

I type properly, for the most part. I don't have my hands on ASDFJKL; but on AWEFJIO;

It's all the same, really. My hands are still in position and I hit the keys with the correct fingers.

EDIT:

Forgot to mention. The best way to learn how to type properly is to get a copy of Typing Of The Dead. The most incredible typing tutor game on the planet. You'll be typing like a maniac in no time.

It just doesn't get any better than that. The text it wants you to type is just ridiculous and it gets more absurd as you unlock dictionaries.
Jolly_Lolly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Jolly_Lolly
@Hamst3r said:
"
 I type properly, for the most part. I don't have my hands on ASDFJKL; but on AWEFJIO;

It's all the same, really. My hands are still in position and I hit the keys with the correct fingers.

EDIT:

Forgot to mention. The best way to learn how to type properly is to get a copy of Typing Of The Dead. The most incredible typing tutor game on the planet. You'll be typing like a maniac in no time.

It just doesn't get any better than that. The text it wants you to type is just ridiculous and it gets more absurd as you unlock dictionaries. "
haha, that is pretty cool I'll admit.
Benjaminvdv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Benjaminvdv

I absolutely have no clue how I learned to type with 10 fingers, or blind for that matter, all I know is that I can . Then again I've had a computer for about 16 years now, so you kinda get used to it. ;)

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#31  Edited By Hailinel

I first learned how to type properly back in third or fourth grade in my elementary school's computer lab.  I'm so used to it by now that it really is second nature, but when I was just starting, I remember it being quite an adjustment.  It takes time to get used to, but once you get over that hump, you should hopefully start to see a significant improvement in your words per minute.

Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#32  Edited By Seedofpower

I've been taking typing classes since I was a kid. Its been programmed in my brain to keep my pointer fingers on f and j when getting ready to type.

When it comes to games, to find WASD without looking I set my Pinky finger to shift.