For those with long commutes. How do you pass the time?

Avatar image for doublejumppride
doublejumppride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hey duders. I just got hired for a new job (temporary for the summer but could be permanent.) I'm happy since I've been looking for a few months now and was fortunate to actually get something in my field of study. The only catch is my commute is going to be about 95 minutes each way. I'm going from the Bronx to Brooklyn for people familiar with NYC.

For anyone with a similar or longer commute I'm wondering what you do to pass the time. I'm obviously going to be listening to a greatest hits of bombcasts but would welcome some other suggestions. Thanks.

_k1_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#2  Edited By _k1_

Mine's not that long (about 30 min), and I mostly just read my kindle. I had a roommate who commuted from Brooklyn to the north Bronx and she took up knitting on the train.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I spend around 3 hours a day driving. Podcasts and music is all I can do.

If you're taking public transportation, get some books or handheld consoles.

frymillstrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I used to have an hour commute to college, I would just scan through the shitty free newspaper for 15 minutes, then listen to a podcast or music or watch a tv show on my phone or play any number of games, the usual shit afforded to us these days, obviously if you have a handheld console then you're really sorted. Obviously most of that is ruled out if you're driving yourself of course. Unless you have Mr. Bean levels of skill. Brush your teeth and dress yourself while you drive!

Morning radio can be alright sometimes too.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I usually just fall asleep.

mjk0104

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a 1hr 20m trip both ways on the train, if there's some new GB videos I'll watch them, or listen to a podcast. Otherwise I watch tv, or sleep.

Also, congrats on the new job!

fleabeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I turn a steering wheel and press some pedals to keep my mind busy.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Think why the heck I have to go through 2 hours of bus ride every day for a job cleaning bird shit from eggs and be stuck in this god damned hell hole of a country I live in .... or listen to music when my ear phones arent busted :(

danlongman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I have an hour commute, I drive so limited in what I can do. Podcasts and Audiobooks are what I listen to.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By hermes

I used to have an hour commute to work on a bus (each way). I spent most of that time reading, which made wonders for my backlog. When I was working and studying in college, I used that time to study.

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Podcasts or music depending on mood. Reddit and twitter added if not the one driving (which is not often)

Gruebacca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I used to have an hour and a half commute from suburb to suburb to get to and from my college (16 miles from home). It took that long because a majority of that time was spent walking and waiting for the bus and trains to show up. Taking two forms of mass transit at once really sucks. Thankfully, podcasts and ebooks exist.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#14  Edited By Humanity

Back in college I had a 45 min subway ride and I either slept or read books. I always found mobile gaming kinda bad in those situations.

regularassmilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Half of my job is driving. I work as a vendor, and I spend about 2-4 hours in the car a day. I've actually been listening to all of the Bombcasts, but I used to be really into NPR too. I felt really worldly, and if you're driving early in the morning/late at night, the BBC is on and that's pleasant.

I make mix CD's quite a bit, but I find that at work I kind of don't want to listen to music.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By Corevi

I ride the bus in so music, DS, reading and my phone.

Avatar image for Unannounced_Fart
Omelet_Pants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

At least 4 hours a day driving for me. I have satellite radio in my car, so I listen to that all the time. I tune in to Howard Stern, NFL Network, or just listen to various music channels. No commercials while listening to the radio is great.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By fattony12000

Wow. These commutes. I can walk to work in about 30 minutes.

The answer is podcasts.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

My brother's job used to be driving around the phoenix area delivering stuff (more complicated than a delivery guy but whatever) and when I visited him over the Summer we would just drive around and listen to radio shows. I love me some music and podcasts but there is something about a really compelling radio show that you look foreword to every day, biggest flaw of podcasts, sometimes just aren't current enough for me.

Shinmaru007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I did the most reading I've ever done by taking the bus to and from college every day. If only I lived in an area where taking the bus to work was viable.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#21  Edited By DarthOrange

No Caption Provided

The Laser Time network of podcasts are all absolutely great. Their highs rival the highs of the bombast and the quality is much more consistent. They have podcasts that cover comic books, video games, wrestling, video game music, and general pop culture. It is mostly made up of the original Games Radar guys that have long since left but it has other peeps as well. If you have never heard them before then you have a huge backlog of gold to work your way through.

Seeing as how you have a ton of time to kill I very highly recommend you listen to this crime episode that gives a pretty good feel for their personalities. It is the crew talking about what crimes they committed as youths and it is really damn interesting. If you don't enjoy it then I can safely say these podcasts are not for you (and you probably have no soul). If you do enjoy it go through the backlog of content they have and listen to the topics that seem most interesting to you.

Avatar image for spilledmilkfactory
spilledmilkfactory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 75

User Lists: 23

You could download some movies you've missed out on and watch them on the way. That's a film-length commute right there

Vrikk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I listen to sports radio on the way and from work. Sometimes podcasts, but honestly that (and Pandora) are reserved for long stretches at work when I don't have meetings. I hate the quiet, so I need some sort of background noise at all times.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

I rarely commute, but when I do, I usually have some paperback novel in my pocket. Sometimes I grab my Vita. Usually playing some indie game like Pixeljunk Monster Ultimate HD whilst listening to a podcast. Some games allow for that on Vita. Way awesome.

Entreri10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't read on the commute cause I get motion sickness, so I usually just listen to old bombcasts or music.. If im not driving I might play my 3DS or Vita but even those can get me sick

oraknabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#26  Edited By oraknabo

I drive 45 minutes each way 2 days a week and the Bombcast is usually just long enough for me to occupy myself with, but lately I felt like I haven't been reading enough so I got a few audiobooks and have been tearing through novels and short story collections.

Sometimes I still find it easier to listen to podcasts because they don't demand as much attention, but when I'm in the mood I prefer the an audio book.

I used to take an e-reader when I used public transportation regularly.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Listen to 80s pop/questionable rap/RiFF RAFF and swear at people. It's quite fun actually. I drive by the way. 8 minutes in the morning. 30 going home. Stupid traffic.

During school when I walk to and from school, usually podcasts, or music of some type. Those walks are 30 minutes each way. I could take the bus and spend less time commuting but that's no fun.

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

The Giant Bombcast of course! I drive for an hour to get to work every morning so I end up listening to a lot music as well. Does very little to quell the road rage though.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Takes me an hour to walk to work. I usually listen to music, but every now and then random shit happens. As in things that inconvenience me during my travels. To top that off dealing with the public at my job can drive me nuts. I've been having thoughts about wanting to quit my job, but I can't afford to do it.

There's some shit at my job that really annoys the fuck out at me. I see why my first supervisor decided to quit, I can't blame him. I really don't want to be working in a supermarket for the rest of my life. That's happened to some people at my job. At the moment I want to resolve an issue going on in my life and go to college. I want to find a job that pays more and one I actually enjoy. I'm also trying to fight the urge from wanting to smoke or drink beer.

Anyway next week I'm going to Las Vegas. Sounds like the perfect place to ease my mind. Since I don't have a girlfriend I want to go to a strip club. I don't want no lap dances I only just want watch. I might go ahead and listen to a love song while I'm at it.

Loading Video...

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Clonedzero

I dont have a long commute but i visit a friend who lives 300ish miles away fairly frequently (like once or twice a month). Typically its just what you'd imagine, Podcasts and music.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By onarum

I read a LOT on my kindle, sometimes I get my 3ds out as well, play some monster hunter, some phoenix wright.

Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

Get a 3DS or Vita if you don't already have one. Then purchase some lengthy RPG's. They'll last you the summer. Just make sure to bring headphones. I used to just bring an iPod Touch when I had a half hour commute and play various small games on it. I wasn't living in a great part of town and the bus was usually so full they couldn't even take everyone who wanted to get on, so headphones were usually out of the question. I must have played like 200+ hours of Tiny Wings the year it came out. Assuming you are taking the train, I don't think the subway in NYC is usually anywhere near that busy (at least not from my limited experience on it) so if you can get a seat I would go with gaming with headphones. People also commonly use Kindles to read on trains. I saw that a lot when I lived in Chicago. The main thing I always say is that if you are going through a not so great part of town, make sure whatever you have with you is not plainly visible at those stops. NYC is much safer than Chicago these days, but it still pays to be safe.

Mest30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My commute is only a 30 minute train ride, but I spend that time playing my vita. In fact, the only reason I bought it was to play on the train. I used to browse the internet every day but that got boring.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I once had a 4 hour commute to work (total 8 hours of driving a day). Traffic on the California 405 was about 5-10mph the entire way. I would download all the shows I liked, put them on my iPhone, and place the iPhone on my dashboard so I can watch them throughout my drive. Sounds extremely dangerous, but I couldn't cause a scratch to any car considering how fast I was driving.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

I find something to stare at and try and re-evaluate my life. It's the closest thing to mediation for me.

dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I listen to music, always.

Avatar image for kqedequalsvolvo
kqedequalsvolvo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By kqedequalsvolvo

I take a bus then the tube (London) to work and how I pass the time pretty much depends on how close my shifts are to rush hour and therefore whether I can get a seat. Normally I listen to podcasts (Bombcast, Cane and Rinse and other gaming or football stuff) or music. If I get a seat, I play my Vita at the same time - if I don't, I play on my phone or just try not to get too crushed.

It's pretty rare that I can be bothered but sometimes I get up early and ride the bus all the way to work, which takes a lot longer but lets me get a lot of gaming time in on the way (it's how I'm mainly playing Persona 4 at the moment).

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I had a 40-60 minute commute to school for 6 years. The solution is to pack on the podcasts.

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

Audio books are my go to. I try to go to the library every week and get a nice multi-disc audio book that looks interesting.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A contact who worked at a nuclear power plant in a critical position spent his six hour daily commute by ending up quitting his job after three weeks because he could no longer take it and was about to jump into the pool in desperation.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

I have a 110 minute commute. I bring my 3DS and Fire Emblem. That works well. I was hoping to get Borderlands 2 on Vita, but it turns out to be shit and not at all what someone would want out of it. It's not cross play nor cross save, so it's effectively useless just by those missing features alone. That's not taking into account the severely downgraded visuals, poor performance and shitty controls. It would have been perfect otherwise. To this day I'm still playing Borderlands.

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

Kindle or Giant Bomb videos on my iPad.

MalibuProfen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

While a 30 minute bus ride might offer ample time to read a chapter or two of a book, to listen to (half) an album or to browse the web to see how 'wrong/right' people are, more often than not I simply stare out of the bus window into nothingness and allow myself to ponder freely on whatever. It seems that I'm so often in contact with some kind of medium that a simple bus ride gives me an opportunity to push all of that aside for a moment and concentrate on my own thoughts without outside feedback - given that there are no crying babies aboard the vehicle (Finnish adults rarely speak to one another when commuting). This, of course, is not to say that media and communication do not offer the opportunity for new ideas and old recollections to come up, but shutting all of those 'distractions' out can, at times, be beneficial, at least for me personally.

I might give up this commuthinking if I found the time, or rather will, to do it at another point. For longer trips I, too, would probably require some sort of outside assistance sooner than later. Awaiting for an Ableton Live phone version, I guess.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Turambar

Had a 2 hour commute back in high school, from Bayside, Queens, to the Bronx. The answer was always napping/