Freedom of Choice

DBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 3

Edited By DBoy

As another year ends, many gamers are busy preparing their own personal Game of the Year awards.  Some of them come in text form, others come in video form, while some utilize both methods.  It's a great opportunity to get different views from people on what they thought about another fantastic year of video gaming.

However, there are some people out there who cannot understand the meaning of the word "personal".  Let me explain.

Let's play pretend, shall we?  Let's pretend that I'm giving out some awards for different categories, and that one of those categories is for Best Shooter.  I decide to nominate Gears of War 2, Rainbow Six Vegas 2, Call of Duty World at War and Left 4 Dead, which are all games that I've played and enjoyed tremendously.  Satisfied with my own personal choices, I post a blog about it on Giant Bomb.  I leave my desk for a bit and come back a couple of hours later to check on my comments.

Random Person #1
Dude, no Mercenaries 2?

What I'm thinking
Well, since I pretty much hated everything about Mercs 2, why would I nominate it?

Random Person #2
Holy shit man, you didn't nominate Resistance 2?  That's just wrong.  This list of nominations is a crock of shit.

What I'm thinking
I haven't played Resistance 2, so why would I nominate a game I haven't even played yet?

Random Person #3
RSV 2 and CoD WaW don't deserve to be on this list because they're basically just mods of their predecessors. (Editor's Note: 9 out of 10 people on this site wouldn't use the word "predecessor", but I couldn't find a lower tier substitute for it)

What I'm thinking
So?  I enjoyed these games, and it's my own personal choice, so why wouldn't I nominate them?

I think you can see where I'm going with this.  While reading some of the Game of the Year blogs from Wesker and EightBitWarrior, amongst others, I've come to the realization that most people on this website have no concept of what a personal opinion is.  If you guys aren't happy with other people's personal choices, don't go chastising them in the comment section about it.  Make your own Game of the Year video or written blog and let us know what you think was the be all and end all of 2008.  It's expected and normal that many of you will disagree with some of the choices, but criticizing and lashing out about them is not the way to go, as some comments just end up being a whole bunch of nonsense.

With that said, I'll be doing my Top 10 Personal Favorite Games of 2008 countdown at the end of the month, from December 25th, 2008 to January 1st, 2009, and I hope that all of you tune in for it.  It'll be in video form and the schedule will be as follows:

• December 25th: #10
  • December 26th: #9
  • December 27th: #8
  • December 28th: #7
  • December 29th: #6
  • December 30th: #5
  • December 31st: #4
  • January 1st: #3, #2 and #1

Naturally, the dates are subject to change, because even my own infinite wisdom cannot predict what happens in the upcoming weeks.  I'm sure you guys will enjoy what I have planned for these videos.  I've got a couple of surprises planned as well.

Oh, and as always, constructive comments are always welcome, but flamers and lamers aren't.
DBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#1  Edited By DBoy

As another year ends, many gamers are busy preparing their own personal Game of the Year awards.  Some of them come in text form, others come in video form, while some utilize both methods.  It's a great opportunity to get different views from people on what they thought about another fantastic year of video gaming.

However, there are some people out there who cannot understand the meaning of the word "personal".  Let me explain.

Let's play pretend, shall we?  Let's pretend that I'm giving out some awards for different categories, and that one of those categories is for Best Shooter.  I decide to nominate Gears of War 2, Rainbow Six Vegas 2, Call of Duty World at War and Left 4 Dead, which are all games that I've played and enjoyed tremendously.  Satisfied with my own personal choices, I post a blog about it on Giant Bomb.  I leave my desk for a bit and come back a couple of hours later to check on my comments.

Random Person #1
Dude, no Mercenaries 2?

What I'm thinking
Well, since I pretty much hated everything about Mercs 2, why would I nominate it?

Random Person #2
Holy shit man, you didn't nominate Resistance 2?  That's just wrong.  This list of nominations is a crock of shit.

What I'm thinking
I haven't played Resistance 2, so why would I nominate a game I haven't even played yet?

Random Person #3
RSV 2 and CoD WaW don't deserve to be on this list because they're basically just mods of their predecessors. (Editor's Note: 9 out of 10 people on this site wouldn't use the word "predecessor", but I couldn't find a lower tier substitute for it)

What I'm thinking
So?  I enjoyed these games, and it's my own personal choice, so why wouldn't I nominate them?

I think you can see where I'm going with this.  While reading some of the Game of the Year blogs from Wesker and EightBitWarrior, amongst others, I've come to the realization that most people on this website have no concept of what a personal opinion is.  If you guys aren't happy with other people's personal choices, don't go chastising them in the comment section about it.  Make your own Game of the Year video or written blog and let us know what you think was the be all and end all of 2008.  It's expected and normal that many of you will disagree with some of the choices, but criticizing and lashing out about them is not the way to go, as some comments just end up being a whole bunch of nonsense.

With that said, I'll be doing my Top 10 Personal Favorite Games of 2008 countdown at the end of the month, from December 25th, 2008 to January 1st, 2009, and I hope that all of you tune in for it.  It'll be in video form and the schedule will be as follows:

• December 25th: #10
  • December 26th: #9
  • December 27th: #8
  • December 28th: #7
  • December 29th: #6
  • December 30th: #5
  • December 31st: #4
  • January 1st: #3, #2 and #1

Naturally, the dates are subject to change, because even my own infinite wisdom cannot predict what happens in the upcoming weeks.  I'm sure you guys will enjoy what I have planned for these videos.  I've got a couple of surprises planned as well.

Oh, and as always, constructive comments are always welcome, but flamers and lamers aren't.
Torb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Torb

For sure. I've pretty much decided to avoid a post about my top games of the year for this reason. All it seems to do is start arguments x.x
It's fun to see what other people pick, though.
Surprises, you say? O.o

gearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By gearhead

I am all for people saying their opinion, though if someone is calling someone else out for a choice of theirs, then its wrong.
If I say, "I would include Neo Pets on that list, but I agree with the rest of it," that's fine, but if I say, "Hey mofo, you forgot Dead Space, that list is shit. Go eat a chicken sandwich." Then that is wrong.
Good blog though.

Stealthoneill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4  Edited By Stealthoneill

Seems that a lot of comments around peoples blogs are usually someone going nuts about whats in another blog. Whats that old saying? 'Nothing nice to say, then dont say anything at all?' 

Completely agree with what you said though, how can you make any sort of informed decision on games you have yet to touch? My list will be all 360, as I have no PS3 and the few titles I picked up for the Wii arent anywhere near good enough. People shouldnt have to worried about getting flamed for there opinion in there own personal blog.  Its like me walking in to someones house and screaming at them for the colour of there walls or the damn television. Anyways.. Ill stop my rant now..

Great blog as always, looking forward to see what games your countdown includes.

AthleticShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By AthleticShark

Yea I agree with Gearhead. I don't see how it is such a problem if someone just says there own opinion of what you could of added or they are shocked that whatever game it is is not up there. Of course there are ways to say things and ways not too. As for trying to persuade someone into re-thinking about it, there is nothing wrong with it. Saying " Re think that shit man you are so wrong " is not a good thing to say and is completely wrong. Saying something like " Wow I am quite shocked, did you really think about it? " Is perfectly fine. If that person then re does a video per say and changes his mind well then that is his own personal choice and he should not be given flack for changing his mind.

Wesker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By Wesker

Can you keep looking for World At War for me? I still can't seem to find it anywhere on my list.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9398c1300c7
deactivated-5f9398c1300c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Dude, don't listen to the idiots that judge or dissemble your GotY choices. You, me, and many other users are not game journalists or professional reviewers that play every single game within a year. It's what we have played and that's all that matters.

However, I think nominating games with the best graphics is different. I mean, you look at a game via trailers and screenshots. Does it still matter?

stevieq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By stevieq

Looking forward to it. Mine will simply be text impressions. I have some ideas already.

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By lordofultima

Go eat a chicken sandwich.

MadBootsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#10  Edited By MadBootsy

Who doesn't love a chicken sandwich?!? Oh, and as always, constructive comments on chicken sandwiches are always welcome, but flamers and lamers of them aren't.

pill92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By pill92

Looking forward to it.

Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Player1

Note my blog on gears 2, where everyone disagrees with my personal choice...so I guess they are saying that I mis thought my own opinion?

:P

RenegadeSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By RenegadeSaint

So true.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#14  Edited By Claude

I like reading opinions, let me know when I go wrong and I'll slap myself, but no kicking in the balls... that shit hurts. Let the personal opinions be...

RodneythePom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By RodneythePom

Should be interesting, I will await your decisions.

ElectricHaggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ElectricHaggis

How dare you not make Fable 2 pub games game of the year.  God damn you! Just kidding, I look forward to seeing your choices.

MsCortana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By MsCortana

Well, for those whom are confident, they have no problem saying hey, I respect your opinion but mine is as follows.  Some people are simply of poor character Dennis.  They lack the ability to understand that not everyone thinks as they do, which in my eyes is sad indeed. However, with this particular site and many like it, I believe the biggest issue is juveniles having access to keyboards. lol!

Avatar image for deactivated-65f9e2f09d481
deactivated-65f9e2f09d481

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Agree. If everyone had the same choice, it wouldn't really be needed to have a showcase of best title.

TonyS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By TonyS

Just punch them in the face.

Quadrifoglio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Quadrifoglio

I won't have that problem because I know you are going to choose some kickass games for your GOTY list! :P

Gen_Warbuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Gen_Warbuff

You mean to tell me that people have different opinions.... wtf, this is just crazy talk.

Avatar image for lightwarrior179
lightwarrior179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#22  Edited By lightwarrior179

You have made yourself clear,sir. Now go and give awards to those games which you feel rightly deserve so. And if anyone dares to pick an argument against you we will be consider you as our leader and we will be the "Guardians". ;)

100th_bullet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By 100th_bullet

[deleted]

Avatar image for eightbitwarrior
EightBitWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#25  Edited By EightBitWarrior

I hate when people say "why isnt this on your list?" or "this should be on your list", when clearly they miss the point of people having their own opinion. Why "should" a game be on your list if you've never touched it before in your life? "Yeah, my game of the year is this game. I've never played it, but someone told me it was the best."

I guess it's because people are used to sites giving out their awards in a certain way where it's more a public concensus, but they must remember that said sites have a large group of people that have collectively played pretty much everything released and give general winners accordingly.
JamesF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#26  Edited By JamesF

Agreed.

alpha99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#27  Edited By alpha99
That's why you post disclaimers in bold lettering above every one of your personal lists...

Drive it home on the readers. I don't know how many times I had to write PERSONAL in my top 50 games list and I even have one for my end of year awards. Just make sure they know for a damn fact that this is your friggin' list and you won't stand for it otherwise.

Make it BOLD and make sure it is the first thing they have to read before anything else.
dj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#28  Edited By dj

Sometimes a person's inner fan boy takes over and they can't control it. Being the internet that happens quite often.

AndyWilliams24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By AndyWilliams24

This is the internet. No such things exist anymore. But I do fully agree with you Denis.