Funny looking back at my first week here

spaceturtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

Edited By spaceturtle

I did some !!RESEARCH!! in context with answering a recent topic here on the site --  What's your first post on this site? 

Anyways, my cr4zy !!RESEARCH!! included looking over the history of my posts on the forum to find the first so I could get integrated with this topic, during that time I naturally looked over some of my other very early posts to see what I wrote back then. Thing is, like the third post I did on the forums was on a topic regarding abortion and weather or not it was right or wrong to get abortions and in some cases, under what circumstance is getting an abortion "awkey". 

Before giving my thoughts on the subject of abortion I pointed out that I thought abortion was a weird topic for a gaming site. And now looking back at that comment I made, I realized that most of the threads on the forum is mostly off-topic and most are just about really dumb-stupid / hilarious and NOT gaming related discussions. But I've been thinking. Maybe there is a little too much of the off-topic stuff. Most of it is fun, and I don't really mind it. But perhaps there technically should be more discussion about games?? 

Now, what do you think? Do you experience the forums on GB as a place where the users makes jokes and fuck around or is there a decent amount of gaming related discussions going down?  

Just for the record, I'm not saying either way. I just finally noticed there really is a lot of shenanigans happening in the forums (which I, again, don't mind) and not as much gaming related stuff as maybe a person unfamiliar with the site would probably expect from a gaming site.

spaceturtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By spaceturtle

I did some !!RESEARCH!! in context with answering a recent topic here on the site --  What's your first post on this site? 

Anyways, my cr4zy !!RESEARCH!! included looking over the history of my posts on the forum to find the first so I could get integrated with this topic, during that time I naturally looked over some of my other very early posts to see what I wrote back then. Thing is, like the third post I did on the forums was on a topic regarding abortion and weather or not it was right or wrong to get abortions and in some cases, under what circumstance is getting an abortion "awkey". 

Before giving my thoughts on the subject of abortion I pointed out that I thought abortion was a weird topic for a gaming site. And now looking back at that comment I made, I realized that most of the threads on the forum is mostly off-topic and most are just about really dumb-stupid / hilarious and NOT gaming related discussions. But I've been thinking. Maybe there is a little too much of the off-topic stuff. Most of it is fun, and I don't really mind it. But perhaps there technically should be more discussion about games?? 

Now, what do you think? Do you experience the forums on GB as a place where the users makes jokes and fuck around or is there a decent amount of gaming related discussions going down?  

Just for the record, I'm not saying either way. I just finally noticed there really is a lot of shenanigans happening in the forums (which I, again, don't mind) and not as much gaming related stuff as maybe a person unfamiliar with the site would probably expect from a gaming site.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#2  Edited By JJWeatherman

I think there's a good deal of gaming related talk. The shenanigans are what makes Giant Bomb worth coming back to.

fwylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By fwylo

I personally like how theres a mix of both.  It can't be all games all the time.  It's not serious business here because being serious all the time sucks.  I come here for a bit of both.  I put my serious opinions where they are asked for.  But when someone post quest spam, I'm going to ask for a facepalm and yell OMGWTFBBQ. (I've asked for 2 facepalms already today and noone has answered my call D:)

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By MarkWahlberg

Well, you can only talk about games so much. And if we take your thought to its illogical conclusion, wouldn't that mean that, for any topic you wanted to discuss, you had to join a website about it? Like, if you want to have an abortion discussion, you have to head over to Whiskey Media's BabyVine (It's a website. about babies.)* It's much easier to do it all in one place, and this way we get to see how people who all share a love of videogames (awwwww) can have such a wide variety of opinions on many fascinating subjects. Like girls.

*Not to be confused with BabyVice, the website for pedophiles.

lolicanseeyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By lolicanseeyou
@JJWeatherman said:
" I think there's a good deal of gaming related talk. The shenanigans are what makes Giant Bomb worth coming back to. "
yes, i tried to  visit whiskeys other sites and all of  their topics are strictly on topic, here it is a free for all and I love it
spaceturtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By spaceturtle
@JJWeatherman: @fwylo: @lolicanseeyou:  
Yeah, that was what I was thinking too. The reason this site is so attractive to me is because of the fun that goes alongside the game stuff. This you can see in both the content that the staff puts out on the main site and what's happening in the forums. 

@MarkWahlberg said:
" for any topic you wanted to discuss, you had to join a website about it? Like, if you want to have an abortion discussion, you have to head over to Whiskey Media's BabyVine (It's a website. about babies.)*

I was only questioning if there might be a little too much of the off-topic stuff lately. And I totally agree with you, would be crazy if a site didn't even have a off-topic forum so users can discuss babies and such. Hah, picture a site without an off-topic forum, and every time users go off-topic in whatever thread it might be, the mods would either close the thread up and/or temporarily ban the user who went off-topic. That's fascism on box, really. Wait, on tube rather. 

Anywho, I visit this site EVERY day ALL DAY LONG because of the shenanigans, and to dig out info on game developers, up-coming games and basically other news in the world of gaming. I love all the fun and dumbass threads that are being made and the stupid comments that in a couple of seconds fills the thread with pure nonsense. But again, personally, I think there has been a little too much of the non-game-related stuff and the kiddin' around -- even though it is funny.

Thanks for the read fellas!
lolicanseeyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By lolicanseeyou
@SPACETURTLE said:
w/o an off topic forum I would be doing hw right now
DarthMaul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8  Edited By DarthMaul

Oh man... 

When I first came here in the summer of '08, it was crazy. A bunch of us got in trouble for having a big social topic. So I got kind of angry at this place for not allowing social discussion.
I posted a lot the first few months, but I really haven't been here all that much since early '09. Things are different every time I log in because I log in only about every three months. I'm trying to work my way back here because I "hate" the place I currently post at.

I enjoy this place because you can see all posts at once; you don't have to go searching. It's very unique. I love the off-topic discussion because I don't game as much as I used to.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By zeforgotten

There is indeed a lot of off-topic posts around the forums. 
They're all neatly placed in the Off-Topic part of the forums so I only see many of those because I added that to my favorites. 
If people want topics about games go to the different forums for the game in question. It's that simple.. 

But yeah, looking back on posts I've written before it seems that not much has changed, I was an ass towards random internet people who thought that what they said to me mattered and I'm an ass towards them today. 

DarthMaul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By DarthMaul

Also, SPACETURTLE, from the sounds of it, you have been here for a long time, but I looked at your profile, and you've only been here for eight months. >.>

Eight months ago is not "back then." <.<

9cupsoftea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By 9cupsoftea

I go to gamefaqs to talk about games. There's a hell of a lot more on-topic stuff there. I only come here cause I love the layout and like to watch the vids.

DarthMaul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By DarthMaul
@9cupsoftea said:
" I go to gamefaqs to talk about games. There's a hell of a lot more on-topic stuff there. I only come here cause I love the layout and like to watch the vids. "
I go to GameFAQs too. But it's mainly just a social board there.
spaceturtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By spaceturtle
@DarthMaul said:

" Also, SPACETURTLE, from the sounds of it, you have been here for a long time, but I looked at your profile, and you've only been here for eight months. >.>  Eight months ago is not "back then." <.< "

Back then --> during MYfirstweek. I never said anything about when the site first launched. Sorry, probably didn't make myself clear. 

@9cupsoftea said:
" I go to gamefaqs to talk about games. There's a hell of a lot more on-topic stuff there. I only come here cause I love the layout and like to watch the vids. "
Perhaps I should start checking out some other sites for more on-topical threads and discussions. Cause at the moment, Giant Bomb is really my only gaming site. And again, I love it and will never leave unless mods kick me on me face out some day. But at this time, there is soooo much off-topicnessessessess...