Game mode on TV, I'm missing something

indieslaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

I just had a weird experience, and it made me realize that I must not be understanding something about the Game mode on my TV.

I was playing Zelda BotW (Wii U), which I've been playing for months, and it was looking really bad. Suddenly all the frame rate complaints and everything people have had made sense to me because it just looked raw and ragged. I've never had an issue with the frames; honestly, in probably 100+ hours I've barely noticed it at all, on either the tablet or the TV, but all of a sudden it was like each frame chug was brought into stark relief. Each frame was highlighted and lovingly placed on display for my review.

So, yeah, it was bad. I switched back and forth from the game pad to the TV a bit, and the game pad was still fine, just the TV performance was wildly different. What the TV was showing me made me see where it was also happening on the gamepad, but it wasn't being, like, presented in a way that was seemingly made to emphasize the shit-parts on the game pad like the TV was.

You may have guessed already, but it turns out that the difference was that I didn't have game mode enabled like I usually do. Instead it was on the option I have for watching movies. My question is this: why would that make that much of a difference?

I thought that game mode just reduced latency so there was less delay. I didn't realize it did so much to the picture. And it's not like my movie watching settings have that much going on. I don't have the terrible fast motion frame blurring things or whatever, the judder stuff, the soap opera look things. I actually scrolled through most of the default options, and they all totally screwed up playing Zelda, but turning on Game mode smoothed all that out. What is it doing that I'm not understanding?

My thanks in advance.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By OurSin_360

Cant really say i know my tv has a auto detect setting for 24hz content like film that could probably limit the hz/fps. Haven't actually tried it though but i have a fairly recent sony uhd. Could be to lower the latency your tv is disabling some other effects that arent listed so when game mode is clicked they turn off