• 130 results
gearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

Edited By gearhead

Now I am sure there is going to be a bunch of asswholes filling the comments with, "Gamespot Sucks." I don't need to, and no one else needs to hear that crap, go take it else where.

In case you have not already heard, CBS has laid off numerous people. This includes many great people from Gamespot. This includes: Don Francis, Bethany, and Aaron Thomas, just to name a few of the large names. Each of these people were great in their own rights, and seeing them go, breaks my heart. Especially that of Mr. Don, who I play numerous games with over XBL, and hope he finds another job quickly. Knowing Don, working at Gamespot was his dream job, and he got that dream fufilled when he was able to get such job earlier this year. Now, in less than a year's time, his job is gone, and CBS and CNET, and any other big corporations that treat their workers like shit,  can go fuck themselves, for destroying these people's lively hoods.

Gamespot, I really miss you.

gearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By gearhead

Now I am sure there is going to be a bunch of asswholes filling the comments with, "Gamespot Sucks." I don't need to, and no one else needs to hear that crap, go take it else where.

In case you have not already heard, CBS has laid off numerous people. This includes many great people from Gamespot. This includes: Don Francis, Bethany, and Aaron Thomas, just to name a few of the large names. Each of these people were great in their own rights, and seeing them go, breaks my heart. Especially that of Mr. Don, who I play numerous games with over XBL, and hope he finds another job quickly. Knowing Don, working at Gamespot was his dream job, and he got that dream fufilled when he was able to get such job earlier this year. Now, in less than a year's time, his job is gone, and CBS and CNET, and any other big corporations that treat their workers like shit,  can go fuck themselves, for destroying these people's lively hoods.

Gamespot, I really miss you.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By turboman

they let go of Bethany and Aaron?

NOT COOL!
LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By LiquidPrince

I hear Giant Bomb has positions open.

Artie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 17

#4  Edited By Artie

Who really gives a shit about Bethany.

Don Francis is a good guy, and I never liked Aaron Thomas, but it always sucks to lose people.

AARON THOMAS - SPORTS GUY AT GIANTBOMB, heard it here first.

bwooduhs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By bwooduhs

why would they le go aaron? When did this happen.

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6  Edited By Hamz

Bethany and Don Francis were big organisers for Gamespot Community events and such like. Really sad to see them go, however the Don of War aka Hammer of Don did say he will continue to be in room 0 for all the chat, he'll continue to be on the site, just not in the office working on it. So we'll get our weekly dose of Don Francis, gonna miss Bethany though as she has been there forever it feels. She really did keep the community stuff going, now it all falls onto the lap of Jody Robinson and thats going to be a big workload for one person.

That being said i don't think its the end of the world or the end of Gamespot. No ones fault but the failing economy that is hitting everyone across the world. Can't blame Gamespot or CBS really, they are only cutting costs in what is effectively a huge global financial crisis.

lucas_kelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7  Edited By lucas_kelly

For me, Gamespot died along time ago.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#8  Edited By turboman

Aaron might not have been the best reviewer(he gave Ratchet Future a 7.5 if I remember and never really said anything negative), but the dude did crank out some awesome videos and stuff

JohnDudebro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By JohnDudebro

I think I remember Bethany showing a Phoenix Wright game on On The Spot one time. That was enough to make me like her.

Sucks to see these guys go. And really, since Gamespot lost pretty much all of their personalities in the Gerstmanngate exodus, getting rid of Aaron was not a good move. He was one of the few good ones left.
Epic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Epic

Link?

gearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By gearhead

Good job fucking following what I asked 'Andrew.'

Avatar image for deactivated-5b4a512bb9699
deactivated-5b4a512bb9699

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Win said:
"I liked Don....but wait...

...they fired Aaron Thomas?!?

They didnt fire anyone CBS have had to lay people off.
giyanks22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#13  Edited By giyanks22
bwooduhs said:
"why would they le go aaron? When did this happen."
I know seriously...Aaron Thomas was the best reviewer GS had left. The only one who I thought gave a good honest review. That sucks for him, Don and Bethany. Hopefully Aaron comes here, or atleast gets a gig somewhere else.
whackmypinata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By whackmypinata

Aaron Thomas was a cool guy, damn.
Artie
said:

"Who really gives a shit about Bethany.

Don Francis is a good guy, and I never liked Aaron Thomas, but it always sucks to lose people.

AARON THOMAS - SPORTS GUY AT GIANTBOMB, heard it here first."
That would be sweet. All he needs is a sense of humor.
sloppyjoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#15  Edited By sloppyjoe

Well my whole city is gonna be laid off, so.... yeah...

bwooduhs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By bwooduhs
Fr0Br0 said:
"Levio91 said:
"The only people I was ever fans of were greg kasavin, alex navarro, and brad shoemake. I became a fan of the 2 guys who made giantbomb (Forgot there names) after they made giantbomb."
Forgot their names? FORGOT THEIR NAMES!? JEFF AND RYAN WILL COME DOWN FROM THE SKY AND RAPE YOU WITH THE INTENSITY OF 20 MILLION HORRIBLE SOULJA BOY SONGS!"
Agreed. Your fans of them but you dont know there names. For shame.
gearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By gearhead

Why am I not surprised that this post has turned into this...

Artie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Artie
whackmypinata said:
"Aaron Thomas was a cool guy, damn.
Artie
said:

That would be sweet. All he needs is a sense of humor."
Actually I'd take a Brian Ekberg over Aaron any day.
bwooduhs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By bwooduhs
Artie said:
"whackmypinata said:
"Aaron Thomas was a cool guy, damn.
Artie
said:

That would be sweet. All he needs is a sense of humor."
Actually I'd take a Brian Ekberg over Aaron any day."
Yeah he would be better but Aaron still good.
dj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By dj

Come on, can't they leave GS alone. Just after I thought they had scraped together what they had left they had to ruin it again. Its like the wave smashing your sandcastle right after you just rebuilt it from another wave.

I still have fond memories of GameSpot but I hate to see that memory repeatedly smashed in the face over and over again.
TomA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By TomA

That sucks.Gamestop has already lost so many good people.I don't hate Gamespot,bu i do hate CNET and CBS.Now i will list off all the people i can remember who were fired,or left Gamestop.Most of them will be missed.

Bob Calayco
Greg Kasavin
Greg the other one with a shaved head
Jeff Gerstmann
Rich Gallup
Alex Navaro
Jason Ocampo
Ryan Davis
Brad Shomaker
VInny Carravela
Carrie Gouskos
Tim Surrete
Aaron Thomas
Bethany somebody
Don Francis
and whoever else I am missing.

BraindeadRacr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By BraindeadRacr

Aww man... Don got laid off? It sucks for all, but damn, he was a employee for how long? Barely a year?

jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#23  Edited By jeff

OK, look. A bunch of good people lost their jobs today and are now faced with some very harsh economic realities. I know we try to be all freewheeling and stuff when it comes to moderation, but if you're looking to come in here and just talk a bunch of shit about these people--many of whom the guys here are still friends with--you're going to get banned.

Don't. Be. A. Dick. Is that so hard to understand?
BigBoss1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24  Edited By BigBoss1911

Gamespot died sometime in 2007.,even before jeff was fired

Artie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Artie

I just wished there was some confirmation of this somewhere. Like, where did you even find this stuff Gearhead? I heard somewhere else that Kristen got fired?

I'm just assuming that these are the three or four people that we actually know about, and for everyone one of them there's four behind the scenes people who also lost their jobs.

BraindeadRacr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By BraindeadRacr

Damn, Jeff. Kick some ass, Seabass :3. Sorry, couldn't help myself.

But seriously, they lost alot of good people indeed. No matter how much the website sucks according to you, people lost their source of income... Which, y'know, is bad.

gearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By gearhead

Artie-Its has been passing around, and from Don himself. Only Don, and Bethany are confirmed at the moment, and Arron Thomas, Kristen, and many others are rumored.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By pause422
Gearhead said:
"Artie-Its has been passing around, and from Don himself. Only Don, and Bethany are confirmed at the moment, and Arron Thomas, Kristen, and many others are rumored."
I can confirm Kristen as well. Anyway this isn't exactly "happy" news at all, regardless of who liked/disliked who there. I hardly understand how some people find it "hilarious" that these people are losing their jobs.
AndrewGaspar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#29  Edited By AndrewGaspar
Gearhead said:
"CBS and CNET, and any other big corporations that treat their workers like shit,  can go fuck themselves, for destroying these people's lively hoods. "
So... even if CBS can't afford to keep these employees on, they have the duty to pay them irregardless?

Idiot.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Artie said:
"I just wished there was some confirmation of this somewhere. Like, where did you even find this stuff Gearhead? I heard somewhere else that Kristen got fired?

I'm just assuming that these are the three or four people that we actually know about, and for everyone one of them there's four behind the scenes people who also lost their jobs."
I'll post the screenshot of the message I got from Don if you really dont believe its true but why would someone lie about this?
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#31  Edited By LordAndrew
Artie said:
"I just wished there was some confirmation of this somewhere. Like, where did you even find this stuff Gearhead? I heard somewhere else that Kristen got fired?

I'm just assuming that these are the three or four people that we actually know about, and for everyone one of them there's four behind the scenes people who also lost their jobs."
I'm trying to find a source too. No blogs from any of my friends on GameSpot. I'll have to search more.
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By LordAndrew
Joe said:
"Artie said:

I'll post the screenshot of the message I got from Don if you really dont believe its true but why would someone lie about this?"
Sometimes eople lie about terrible things for no apparent reason.
Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Hamz

Well tonights On The Spot show at Gamespot aired and some of the Staff who got laid off were in the chat room, giving the heads up. Really sad news to hear good people have lost their job at probably the worst time possible. And even worse that some have been there for a long time are now leaving.

And like Jeff said, lets not be dicks about this. The Moderators have tried to be polite and hint at people not to turn Gamespot discussion into hate topics but if people continue to be dicks and start letting the discussion devolve into mindless bashing and trashing we will start handing out bans. No joke here people, i'm serious when i say i am utterly fed up with seeing any mention of Gamespot turn into a trash and bash fest. You've been warned by Jeff and myself, i think that should show we mean it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

LordAndrew said:
"Joe said:
"Artie said:

I'll post the screenshot of the message I got from Don if you really dont believe its true but why would someone lie about this?"
Sometimes eople lie about terrible things for no apparent reason."
I know Gearhead fairly well and we play Burnout with Don and a few other guys most weekends, trust me he isn't lying
Artie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Artie

Kristen's facebook apparently confirms that she was laid off.

I don't know directly, I'm getting this from Doug Buffone.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By pause422

Yeah Kristen already confirmed this to me several hours ago, before their last taping of OTS. I don't usually care about it much, but I'm gonna definitely give it a watch and see if they mention anything else on it. Fuck the economy.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By LordAndrew
BraindeadRacr said:
"

Aww man... Don got laid off? It sucks for all, but damn, he was a employee for how long? Barely a year?

"
A bit more than a year, I think. I remember thinking about how Don and Jeff had only been able to work together for a short period before Jeff was let go.

Regardless of how long any of them were employed, it's way depressing. :(
keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By keyhunter

Its the corperations man. They're taking over man. The little man is nothing man. We're all just a bunch of numbers to the man, man.  A similar situation just hit one of the big restoration companies here in Canada, so they go work for smaller companies. I'm sure they'll be fine assuming Giant Bomb really needs a sports guy.

Artie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Artie

That'd be awesome if GiantBomb doubled their editorial staff again by hiring the four "celebs" who got fired :P

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By LordAndrew

What's the word on Kevin VanOrd? Is he still with GameSpot? If not, then they've effectively eliminated every reason for me to care anymore. (No offense to other GameSpot employees. I still kind of like you guys.)

TheGTAvaccine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By TheGTAvaccine

Damn, what a tragedy. Best of luck to all of them.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

LordAndrew said:
"What's the word on Kevin VanOrd? Is he still with GameSpot? If not, then they've effectively eliminated every reason for me to care anymore."
99% Sure hes still there but I could be wrong, at least he didn't mention it in the OTS chat.
Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Hamz
Joe said:
"LordAndrew said:
"What's the word on Kevin VanOrd? Is he still with GameSpot? If not, then they've effectively eliminated every reason for me to care anymore."
99% Sure hes still there but I could be wrong, at least he didn't mention it in the OTS chat."
Indeed i think KvO is still going to be at Gamespot for the time being, and hopefully forever because he is a solid guy.
dualityofman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By dualityofman

We all knew this was eventually gonna happen.  Still doesn't make it suck any less.

Disgaeamad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#45  Edited By Disgaeamad

This is really depressing. Seeing a site that I loved visiting each day slowly fall apart really sucks. All the best to those who were laid off.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By LordAndrew
Disgaeamad said:
"This is really depressing. Seeing a site that I loved visiting each day slowly fall apart really sucks. All the best to those who were laid off."
I sent Don a supportive PM. I wish there was more we could do for these guys. :(
Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#47  Edited By Player1

As terrible as Aaron was at what he  did....I loved that guy. He seemed to genially love games, and he got more and more comfortable in front of the camera as time went on. I really feel for him.

Great quality guy. They really now who to keep and fire there at CNET! Fuck them.

thordain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By thordain

Man, I had a lot of respect for all three of those people and it's sad to see them all go. I'm sure they'll all find places.

DBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#49  Edited By DBoy

Some really sad news about those guys.  I wish them the best of luck and, who knows, maybe some of them will end up here some day.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By TwoOneFive
So many people are hurting these days over this terrible economic issue. Its pretty bad that things like this have to happen, but when you take into consideration that Christmas and Hanukkah are right around the corner, this is really sad.