Avatar image for masturbatingbear
MasturbatingBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By MasturbatingBear

Well I have heard many stories about people having troubles at gamestops that they have shopped at and people vowing never to go there again. I never had to much of a bad experience but I will list my worst ones later. So this is the topic to complain. Share your stories with all of us.
For me it was when I bought a "new" copy of final fantasy III for the ds. they got a display case and put a cartridge in it and gave it to me. I heard about this happening to other people but they end up wrapping it in shrink wrap. The other thing is just the price I guess. I was with my friend getting Advance Wars Days of Ruin in spring we went to the gs at my mall saw it for 35 and he said to check out the target which was also in the mall. There it was 30 bucks so I just bought it there. Well its time for you guys to share your shitty stories and show me what everyone is angry about.

joey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -2

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By joey

One time i saw two copies of a game next to each other, one was used and one was new, and the used cost more than the new one.

MasturbatingBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By MasturbatingBear

not a complaint just a mistake.

joey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By joey

I know, but i just felt like it needed to be said.

MasturbatingBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By MasturbatingBear

I know but I thought I already said that thats not a complaint. Look above you please...

Lobster_Ear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Lobster_Ear

The other day I pre-ordered littleBIGplanet...They never gave me my DLC code :(

Shawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7  Edited By Shawn

I was buying a 'new' copy of The Darkness and they just put a CD into an empty case. It's just the most pointless thing to buy a new game from gamestop if they are going to put the damn thing into a case for you. Might as well buy a used one.

Ubergeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Ubergeist

I really really really really hate GameStop. They profit so much  money it's ridiculous. I wanted a bit of cash to get a game so I took Table Tennis up there since it was the only game I never play and they gave me $2 for it. I was in there browsing long enough for the lady to put it on the shelf to sell and I glanced at it and saw they were re-selling it for $20. I originally bought it used for $15. How can they do this?

Solid_SnakeXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By Solid_SnakeXx
Shawn said:
"I was buying a 'new' copy of The Darkness and they just put a CD into an empty case. It's just the most pointless thing to buy a new game from gamestop if they are going to put the damn thing into a case for you. Might as well buy a used one."
Well you actually took that shit!? i would ve spit on his face and walk away with my money!
Serker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10  Edited By Serker

Yeah... that happened once and I figured out how to stop that shady business practice. Just ask them if they have any unopened copies. They'll freak out for a second and try to say that they can shrink wrap a game again but they won't try to sell you a shitty opened box, that would make them seem retarded when you just said unopened to their face. I had this problem when I bought a "new" copy of Orange Box and ended up returning it because the cover was ripped, picture and plastic covering, and the disc was dusty and had scratches. I ended up buying a used copy somewhere else that looked way better.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By BiggerBomb

They suck and everyone knows it, even they do. Do we really need a thread dedicated to why we hate them?

DARKIDO07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By DARKIDO07

I haven't had any problems with GameStop, mainly becuase I buy all my games used.

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ZenaxPure
DARKIDO07 said:
"I haven't had any problems with GameStop, mainly becuase I buy all my games used."
You buy used games from gamestop? Ouch dude, anyway:
  • Used games are overpriced as can be. I got my Wii a year after launch and TP was still $45 used there the day I got mine, freakin disguisting. Can get it cheaper online.
  • Giving "new" games that have been opened and probably played before. I got Crisis Core a while back and the copy was not wrapped, had the sticky label things tore off leaving behind a nasty sticky layer that attached everything to it and would not let go.
  • Sticking demos in actual game cases and selling it. Happened to me just recently...
Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Demyx

I barely go to gamestop, so I've never had any bad experiences. I usually order my games online.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By BiggerBomb

It is all about Best Buy or local game outlets.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Jayge_

They try to pull that "new" shit with me all the time, I just tell them to shove it and give me a real one or I walk. Occasionally they refuse. That's when regional managers get called.

One time, some douche behind the counter called me a nerd when I asked him about a few upcoming releases (just randomly chatting as he rang my copy of CoD4 up). That got ugly.

Man, I love my GameStop for all the wrong reasons. Blue-collar griefing. So much fun.

RetroIce4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By RetroIce4

The Fucking Credit Card Issue. I hate that. Its because Idiotic kids are stupid and steal their parent's credit cards and just lie saying that they would let them use their cards. I know have to have my parents or other family members with me to use a credit card. (I see the problem but it pisses me off)

TheGTAvaccine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By TheGTAvaccine

Gamestop is trash.

I'll never, ever go there again.

Avatar image for betterthantelevision
betterthantelevision

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jayge said:
"They try to pull that "new" shit with me all the time, I just tell them to shove it and give me a real one or I walk. Occasionally they refuse. That's when regional managers get called.

One time, some douche behind the counter called me a nerd when I asked him about a few upcoming releases (just randomly chatting as he rang my copy of CoD4 up). That got ugly.

Man, I love my GameStop for all the wrong reasons. Blue-collar griefing. So much fun."
I'd love to hear more about the whole 'nerd' comment aftermath.
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Jayge_
betterthantelevision said:
"I'd love to hear more about the whole 'nerd' comment aftermath."
Long story short, a man lost his job that day.
betterthantelevision

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jayge said:
"betterthantelevision said:
"I'd love to hear more about the whole 'nerd' comment aftermath."
Long story short, a man lost his job that day."
BAH! Well, at least it had a happy ending...for you.
MasturbatingBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By MasturbatingBear

Ive never had a real problem with the clerks (like being assholes or anything) most of the time they are pretty nice at the 2 i go to. And can you really complain about how they buy a used game and sell it for more then they buy? thats called profit. I think its amazing some of the prices they have while i think some others are fucking ridiculous. Eternal Darkness used was 9 bucks when my bro bought it then a few months later I saw they upped it to 18 dollars. Ikaruga used for gamecube was 40 dollars last summer. Thats understandable cause that games pretty rare.I was quite surprised that they could charge 5 dollars more for a new ds game than another store though.

RandomHero666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23  Edited By RandomHero666

Theres only the one Gamestop near me, if not in my whole country.
I brought a Steve-o DVD  up to the woman at the counter and she asked what age i was, i showed her that i was over 18 but she still wouldnt give me because she thought i was buyin it for some kids. I had to get the manager to sell me it.
Thankfully she's gone now but i never shop there anymore.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Jayge_
MasturbatingBear said:
"Ive never had a real problem with the clerks (like being assholes or anything) most of the time they are pretty nice at the 2 i go to. And can you really complain about how they buy a used game and sell it for more then they buy? thats called profit. I think its amazing some of the prices they have while i think some others are fucking ridiculous. Eternal Darkness used was 9 bucks when my bro bought it then a few months later I saw they upped it to 18 dollars. Ikaruga used for gamecube was 40 dollars last summer. Thats understandable cause that games pretty rare.I was quite surprised that they could charge 5 dollars more for a new ds game than another store though."
I'm actually really friendly with the two managers at the store, but when they aren't around, the lowly workers get unruly.
BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By BiggerBomb

Ya know what? Fuck it! I'll list a complaint anyway. I was getting a game, I can't remember what. But when I got the game, I wanted to get the game guide with it. So I walk up to GameStop employee and ask him for one. He says, without looking at a computer or asking any questions, that they have none in stock. I turn around, walk towards the game guide shelf to look for myself, and seconds later return to the counter with the game guide in hand.

Fucking assholes.

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ZenaxPure
MasturbatingBear said:
"And can you really complain about how they buy a used game and sell it for more then they buy? thats called profit."
I've no problem with them buying a used game and selling it for more, my problem is them buying a game from a kid for $6 and then selling it for $40. That is ridiculous.
betterthantelevision

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My biggest gripe with GameStop is the nasty pricing stickers they apply to the boxes as well as the inserts. I always try and get a sealed copy, but you can't always do that. Another pesky thing they like to do is put these awful, super-bond stickers across the opening side of new games that aren't in shrinkwrap. Drives me fucking nuts.

Oh, and the, "Would you like to reserve anything?" spiel ... grrrr. If I wanted to, you'd be the first to know.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By BiggerBomb

"Would you like to reserve anything?" *You hear snickering in the background. "It's not like we're going to give him the game after he's payed for it!" There is the muffled sound of palms slapping *

The_Ish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By The_Ish

They refused to sell me a game because they thought I was 15.

I'm 20.

God I hate them.

MasturbatingBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By MasturbatingBear

Ive never had problems with them trying to push guides on me or pre orders. I once bought a guide with a game because only once was I ever offered one (or had one pushed on me) it was street fighter alpha 3 max for the gba and I said no to the guide because it said 14.99, then the guy just said its only a penny so that was a good deal. it was a guide for 3 games to. Megaman zero, super ghouls and ghosts and sfa3. The one pre order I did was twilight princess for gcube and I had no problems. They actually contacted me to come pick it up because it came out in middle of the week and I had to wait until Friday for my older brother to take me. When I got there they had on  the shelf behind them and apparently lots of people tried to get it cause they said it caused lots of trouble. I think its just my area if there are so many complaints.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Jayge_
MasturbatingBear said:
"Ive never had problems with them trying to push guides on me or pre orders. I once bought a guide with a game because only once was I ever offered one (or had one pushed on me) it was street fighter alpha 3 max for the gba and I said no to the guide because it said 14.99, then the guy just said its only a penny so that was a good deal. it was a guide for 3 games to. Megaman zero, super ghouls and ghosts and sfa3. The one pre order I did was twilight princess for gcube and I had no problems. They actually contacted me to come pick it up because it came out in middle of the week and I had to wait until Friday for my older brother to take me. When I got there they had on  the shelf behind them and apparently lots of people tried to get it cause they said it caused lots of trouble. I think its just my area if there are so many complaints."
They always call you when your preorder is shipped in. The fact that they didn't give it away is lucky as hell for you, because they're implicitly instructed to give away not-picked-up preorders. That, and it's company policy to bug you for extra guides and preorders.
Dr_Feelgood38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#32  Edited By Dr_Feelgood38

I went to one during a 4chan raid once, asked for battletoads, and was promptly told "to get the fuck out."

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By brukaoru
Dr_Feelgood38 said:
"I went to one during a 4chan raid once, asked for battletoads, and was promptly told "to get the fuck out.""
No way... That's customer service there!
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Jayge_
Dr_Feelgood38 said:
"I went to one during a 4chan raid once, asked for battletoads, and was promptly told "to get the fuck out.""
That's what you get for engaging in such idiocy.
Dr_Feelgood38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#35  Edited By Dr_Feelgood38
Jayge said:
"Dr_Feelgood38 said:
That's what you get for engaging in such idiocy."
Yeah, I don't engage in many other things from 4chan though. I mostly check out /ic/ because there are actually a lot of creative things popping up there not to mention a whole lot of talent. I will go to /x/ and /a/ and some other boards occasionally though (does not exclude /b/ unfortunately...).
henjin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By henjin
Jayge said:
"Dr_Feelgood38 said:
That's what you get for engaging in such idiocy."
Well think about it, if it was an honest person and they said that to them, things would have gotten VERY ugly.
Point is, they have to offer good customer service no matter the circumstances, which they dont.

joey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By joey

I asked one of the people what games they recommend for the psp, so he was showing me all of these games and one of them was Gta liberty city stories (i wasn't old enough to get m-rated games yet) so i said i wanted that (thinking i could get away with it), so he took me over to the counter and he got the game and i was just about to give him my money, but then at the last minute he asked me for my id, so i couldn't get it.

Zenexo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Zenexo

yeah gamestops are pretty fucking annoying...I dont shop there anymore. Reserving games is so fucken worthless these days. When has a game ever been sold out? Honestly? This isnt the N64 era...Ever since they got rid of all the retro games they've went downhill. They use to be such an awesome chain, i use to go their all the time just to buy genesis games!

MasturbatingBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By MasturbatingBear
Zenexo said:
"yeah gamestops are pretty fucking annoying...I dont shop there anymore. Reserving games is so fucken worthless these days. When has a game ever been sold out? Honestly? This isnt the N64 era...Ever since they got rid of all the retro games they've went downhill. They use to be such an awesome chain, i use to go their all the time just to buy genesis games!"

What do you mean by the n64 era? I don't remember much about actually going shopping for my own games but I do remember all of the games because That was the newest console I had up until the christmas of 04 when I was in sixth grade I got a gamecube. Was it really hard to find games in the n64 era? Also you pointed something out I hadent even noticed. The one at my local mall has no old games cept for a little glass thing with games for every single gameboy released. It reminds me how much it changed cause I remember the first time i went there I got golden sun for gba and saw vigilante 8 (the original) for n64 used for like 12 bucks. I never was able to find a place to actually buy it and I really wanted it but my mom didnt want to buy it for me. Now I realize the one that does in fact have some old games no longer has nes or genesis or even n64 games. They do have a big ass rack of snes games with so many copies of street fighter II turbo.
MegaDaffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By MegaDaffy

I've shopped at Gamestop dozens of times. My only problem is that they'll occasionally have the boxes for a game or DVD, but then you go to buy it and WHOOPS! They only have the box and can't find the game or DVD. Trade-ins are also not that great, but I've found out they shell out the big bucks for games like Pokemon or Mario. Other than that, no real problems.

Incognito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Incognito

Gamestop and their double standards...that's what always gets me.

They do that same shit with me, where I want to get a NEW game, but the case is already opened, and they have the game disc behind the counter. I say, "it's not new if it's been opened. After the seal is broken and the disc has been touched, it's not new anymore, as the potential for smudgy fingerprints and damaging scratches has now been introduced." Then they try to act like "it's never been played though." First of all, that's probably a lie. You know some cock face who works there probably played it after closing one night. On top of that, I asked him, "so let's say I buy a brand new game...let's say I go home, take the plastic off, break the top seal, open the case, and take the disc out. But then I decide to not play it, after realizing I didn't really want the game after all. Now, I still have the reciept. So, since I NEVER PLAYED IT, even though it's open, can I get a full refund? I mean, it's still new...I haven't PLAYED IT YET." Of course the reply was, "we can't give refunds for opened software."  :|

How's that for bullshit? They won't give you a full refund even if you don't play the game, simply because the case was opened, but when you go to buy a NEW game, expecting it to be sealed, they try to sell you an opened copy, at FULL RETAIL PRICE. It's absolutely pathetic, and I hate this greedy company for all the shit they do. I haven't even touched on the times when they didn't get my pre-order correct on 2 seperate occasions, and the fact that their trade-in value to re-sell price ratio is WAY off balance. Gamestop is the epitome of a greedy, two-faced, deceitful, corporation. All while being lazy towards customer complaints at the same time. They don't give a shit about our needs. They just want to rape our wallets. Fuck them. Fuck you Gamsetop, if you're reading this. Anyone associated with Gamestop, seriously, FUCK YOU, SCUMBAGS!!!

bostnbirdybu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By bostnbirdybu

I wish I had done some online searches before placing an order on gamestop.com

Early last week, I was looking for a Wii Fit online.  I was excited to find it available for pre-order on Gamestop.com (to be shipped on 11/7), so I placed the order.

The next day, I received a voicemail from someone I could barely understand, but I was able to catch "gamestop" and the phone number, so I called the number.  The guy who answered started COUGHING INTO THE PHONE before speaking, and he didn't even excuse himself.  It was disgusting.  He looked up my account and said that they just needed to verify that I did order the Wii Fit and chose to have it shipped to an address other than my billing address.  I confirmed, and he said I was all set.

An hour later, I received an email from Gamestop saying "We tried unsuccessfully to call you about your order.  Please call xxx-xxx-xxxx at your earliest convenience."  I assumed it was just a delayed email from when they called me earlier in the day, so I replied to the email and let them know that I already called and confirmed my order and asked them to let me know if anything else was needed from me.  I received the auto-reply saying they'd get back to me in 24-48 hours, but I never received a response.  Stupid me assumed this meant everything was fine.

Yesterday morning, I checked my account and saw that the order was still on hold.  I emailed them AGAIN and asked what the deal was.  (I didn't want to CALL again because of how gross my first conversation was.)  A full day later, I received an email saying that they needed the customer service number for my credit card because they needed to call and verify my card.  At this point, it was over a week since I placed the order, and I decided I was done dealing with them.  I looked around online and found that Best Buy actually had some Wii Fits in stock.  So I cancelled my Gamestop order and bought it from Best Buy.

After my cancellation was finally processed, I noticed a $17 "handling" fee still on my Gamestop account.  I've contacted them about this, so I'm not sure if they'll reverse the charge yet, but I doubt they will. 

Idiots.

Giantkitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Giantkitty

Gamestop and its ilk are usually in malls, and I hate malls - the parking, the clothes stores that has 10 ugly, ultra expensive things in them, those huge upper middle class stores like JC Penny's that is only used as a shortcut to go where you really want to go, those weird candle and potpurri stores, decent stores that disappear, no clocks, 1 bathroom in some back corner of the mall, and those kids that are "too cool for the mall," yet there they are.
Or they're in some plaza: usually beside a store that sells tires or blinds or other things people need once every 9 years, and getting in and out of them are horrible.

LAJohnson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By LAJohnson

Street Fighter 4 Collector's Edition

1.) Less than 30 minutes after I completed my transaction, a GameStop representative called me to confirm this order. Mumbling something about an address verification for the credit card that was used for this transaction.

2.) Furthermore, why was I NOT NOTIFIED at the "time" that I verified my address, that THIS ITEM HAD BEEN D-LISTED? I mean seriously, would it have been too proactive to have even considered adjusting your website to mention "OUT OF STOCK" ..or "D-LISTED" instead of processing a transaction for an item that WAS NEVER INTENDED TO SHIP?

3.) Lastly, NOT ONLY ARE YOU "NOW" HOLDING MY $95.73 ..hostage (you are literally borrowing it for 3-5 business days), but, you have the audacity to attempt to charge me $10.14 for some sort of processing fee. Are you kidding me?

----------------
----------------

To add insult to injury, I received a "canned" response from GameStop. That implied that somehow "my financial institution" was to blame for the incurred charges to my credit card.

NO APOLOGIES for taking my cash for an item that they KNEW they didn't have in stock, and that they NEVER INTENDED to ship.

AND! Had my son not logged into our GameStop account, and NOTICED that the order had been CANCELLED, we would still be sitting here twiddling our thumbs, wondering where the shipment was ..as GameStop never even bothered to notify us.

AND IT ISN'T ROCKET SCIENCE, that I should not be charged a processing fee ..I NEVER CANCELLED THE ORDER. GameStop did.

----------------
----------------

From: Gamestop Customer Service [mailto:help@gamestop.com]
Sent: Sunday, March 22, 2009 10:17 AM
To: Lisa A. Johnson
Subject: RE: Your GameStop.com Order Confirmation - 4090319104247522 (KMM4687116I15977L0KM)

Dear Customer,

Thank you for contacting us.

In response to your request we have cancelled your order # 4090319104247522.

As a reminder, your payment method was never charged for the canceled items. Any related authorization hold on your credit or debit card account will be released in accordance with your financial institution holds policy. Please contact your financial institution for more information. For Barnes & Noble orders, refunds are processed within 3-5 business days. If your order was placed with a GameStop gift card or Edge Card, please note that any related authorization hold on the card should fall off within 3-5 business days.

Also, please feel free to check out our new website features for your future cancellation needs as we are now offering customer self-service options, like canceling your own order/items.

We value your business and hope to see you again soon!

Best regards,

John Customer Service Agent

----------------
----------------

SERIOUSLY ..WHAT GIVES HERE? Why is the consumers responsibility to LOAN MONEY to GameStop? I have to admit, this is a clever approach to floating cash flow .........but, at what expense?

ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTED!

Mercator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Mercator

I havnt had any real issues with Gamestop, other than the constant nagging over presales and refusal to actually look for products I want to buy.

The local gamestop is run quite nicely and most of the employees I get along with.

But I will share a crazy retail story even though it has nothing to do with Gamestop

It was 1996 and I was trying to hunt down a copy of Street Fighter Apha for the PS1, after going several places I got one at Best Buy, I bought it and went home. The packaging was the usual PS1 enormous box (this was before the regular cd cases that they switched to) and it said Street Fighter Alpha. It had Ryu and Rose on the front if I am not mistaken. As I got home I opened it up excited to play, put the disc in and nothing happened. Took it out, replaced it, still it wouldnt boot. I finally looked at the text on the disc and it said "Street Fighter Zero." So I got an unopened, Region 1 box with a Japanese copy of the game inside of it. To this day I dont even understand how that could have happened. Needless to say trying to explain this to Best Buy took 3 managers and 2 counter associates before someone understood what I was saying. They couldnt exchange it because it was the last one in the store, and after getting the manager who understood regions I got a full refund.

No ones fault but Capcom...but without question the strangest thing to happen to me when buying games.

teh_destroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By teh_destroyer
joey said:
"One time i saw two copies of a game next to each other, one was used and one was new, and the used cost more than the new one."
So buy the newer cheaper copy of it,why complain?
Alexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Alexander

I wish Gamestop operated here in the UK so I could have some stories to tell.

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By End_Boss

I hate Game Stop because it is a business making as much money as it can.

Wait, what?

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#50  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor

Why the hell does there need to be a gamestop?  Their prices are too high.  They can
go out of business & nobody would notice.