Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By hassun
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=194642343&postcount=6727
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=194642343&postcount=6727

I think I first predicted their imminent closure sometime last year. It lasted quite a bit longer than that. At one point it even looked like a sharper, leaner version of the site was breathing a second wind into the place, led by people like Kyle Bosman.
Alas, it seems to have been too little too late.

I hope all of the remaining staff find new opportunities soon.

Uppercaseccc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

there show Invisible walls brought to giantbomb so in a way this makes me really sad hope all the staff there can find somewhere to work.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 75

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By Wemibelle

Sad to hear that, truly. Gametrailers has always been one of my favorite places for video reviews, due to their high production values and accurate criticisms. Those retrospectives of theirs were also pretty damn great. I didn't visit the site too often anymore, but I will miss it nonetheless.

Elyhaym

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I'm actually really bummed by this as I recently started watching more of their longer video stuff (GT time and whatnot) and quite enjoyed it.

Hope everyone over there finds new jobs soon.

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#5  Edited By jeanluc

This is real bummer. Been watching GameTrailers' stuff forever. I don't think I will ever forget the sound of Brandon Jones' voice.

I hope Kyle Bosman gets something. Dude is a real talent and The Final Bosman is a great show.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Their original business model became obsolete quite a while ago of course and there were clean signs that they were being continually downsized but for a moment there it really did look like they were going to recover in some fashion.

Added a tweet to the OP about the farewell stream.

koolaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's a bummer. I really liked the Final Bosman and Mandatory Update. And their video reviews had great production value and were a nice second opinion. But I guess the writing was on the wall? It was a Giant Bomb sized site without Giant Bomb's subscriber model. Sad that this day has come :(

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hassun said:

Their original business model became obsolete quite a while ago of course and there were clean signs that they were being continually downsized but for a moment there it really did look like they were going to recover in some fashion.

Added a tweet to the OP about the farewell stream.

Yeah I thought they did a good job shifting gears, but I guess it wasn't enough :(

FacelessRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Can't say that I'm too proud of certain experiences I've had with the community, but at the same time it was kinda fun posting dumb shit as a form of entertainment. Plus, I probably wouldn't have gotten into graphic design if I didn't start designing forum signatures. And I do miss blogging. Their blog community was awesome. Shame that went away several years ago.

So long GT. I reluctantly miss you.

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Shame! Although I normally only visited once a year for their naked (commentary-less) E3 streams and trailers they were one of the best places for that.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BrunoFFS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That sucks =S
Hope Bloodworth (who got married this weekend i guess) and co. land on their feet.

supermonkey122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Giant Bomb should hire Kyle Bosman.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I remember going there every week to check up on new Perspectives videos. Those were entertaining as hell. I honestly thought they had been shut down years ago.

Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 29

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

IVDAMKE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Haven't visited that site in a long while, probably not too long after Shane left. Bloodworth was a cool dude and the only one I really recognize now other than Brandon. Hope he gets picked up quicklike and I'm sure Brandon will get work or make his own.

Avatar image for oscar__explosion
Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By Oscar__Explosion

I remember before discovering Giant Bomb that Gametrails (and by extension Screw Attack) was the website I went to daily for games video. Invisible Walls was my first podcast and I loved Pop-Fiction. Sad that everything went to hell for them in the last few years.

lead_dispencer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By lead_dispencer

about 5 years ago or so, before i found giantbomb i would always go to ign and gametrailers. ign to read article and game trailers to watch their video reviews and some of their features. their site led me to the angy video game nerd and so many other things. this is very sad and i hope everyone finds jobs elsewhere. pretty shitty thing for the company to not even give them a notice. i consider it respectful to put in my 2 weeks notice and when companies dont do it it really pisses me off. RIP Gametrailers

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#20  Edited By csl316  Online

Shit, I still visited Gametrailers a few time a week. Final Bossman and Huber Hype are (were?) two of my favorite internet shows.

Surprised they went as long as they did after gutting their staff a while back, but it still sucks to hear. Hope that crew can land on their feet.

On a side note, Jeff's guest spots on Bonus Round are the direct reason I'm even here.

nickhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

Oh wow. I can't say I used their site within the last...I dunno, 6 years? They used to be my main E3 source back then. I remember (at least, I think I remember) they had a nice, neat way of compiling lists of all the trailers, per day of E3.

Good luck to everyone there, though.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 41

#22  Edited By Slag

Always sucks to lose a site like GT even if it wasn't my thing

No Caption Provided

I imagine Kyle Bosman might have shot as a youtuber if he wants to do that kinda thing, but totally understand why he might not want to.

Game journalism seems a little smaller with every passing year. Other than Polygon, there seemingly hasn't been many new major outlets in some years.

they have a goodbye stream going up in about 5 minutes for those who are interested

http://www.twitch.tv/GameTrailers

EDIT: forgot to add I hope everyone affected finds employment quickly. I feel for y'all.

skinnyluigi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

rip kyle bosman he was cool.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By 49th

That's sad. GameTrailers was the first game site I regularly visited, I even found GiantBomb through their forums. I can't say I've used the site at all for years now though, I think people's interest in video game trailers these days is low and I only ever watched one or two of their features. I hope the guy who reads their reviews gets to keep doing that somewhere else, he's the best in the business and has been doing it forever.

I'll always remember the time Michael Pachter answered the same question of mine twice in two seperate videos by accident...

atomicoldman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By atomicoldman

Kind of expected this to happen eventually after they shut down like half their content a year ago (might be wrong on that time frame.) The only show I really cared about was Bosman's though, hope that guy finds work that allows him to keep producing content like that.

edit: looks like two years ago was when they faced major restructuring.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn't watch their videos, but GT was my main forum for the last nine years. I'll miss the community.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I stopped going there a few years ago, mostly because they changed their video format to something that actually seemed lower quality/harder to stream than they had been using and it was too much of a pain to deal with. There was a time when they were one of the handful of review sources I frequented, mostly because their video reviews provided some extra insight into a game that mere text often couldn't convey. These days it's so easy to find someone playing a game on Youtube though.

Avatar image for deactivated-5909e94ba2838
deactivated-5909e94ba2838

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ah man, cant say i'm surprised but this sucks, Gametrailers was up there with old 1up and Giantbomb in terms of truly talented games media.

petethepanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By petethepanda

I started to get into GT's non-T content a little while back (around the time Bosman first did the "prediction" segments before getting a show of his own) but I fell off after the buyout when a ton of staff got laid off. It sounds like they rebounded again since then, but yeah, the writing seemed to be on the wall for a while now. Still a heartbreaker, I used to go there all the time.

This seems like a scary fucking business to be in lately. Only ever seem to hear about places shutting down.

mrcraggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I always used to visit GT but some time ago I just stopped. I even stopped listening to the Invisible Walls podcast too. I used to visit it daily and it was where I found the likes of AVGN, HAWYP and Game Theory.

tiffanytryhard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Shame. I used to spend a lot of time on that site back before Giant Bomb and when I cared about reviews, especially during E3. They also had some neat ideas like that Pachter show and nurturing young talent like Bosman. The old titans continue to crumble around us.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

not surprised, especially when their main editors jumped ship much like when EGM and 1up shut down. But still, their productions were polished and good to show casual parent gamers who wanted to know what games are good for their kids.

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I always used to visit GT but some time ago I just stopped. I even stopped listening to the Invisible Walls podcast too. I used to visit it daily and it was where I found the likes of AVGN, HAWYP and Game Theory.

Gametrailers was definitely a place that hosted and gave an audience to many people that went on to do their own thing. Those people will carry on the GT legacy.

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A damn shame, but saw it coming. Defy seems like a shitty company with the way they fire people with absolutely no notice.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow, but after that string of layoffs i'm not surprised it just took a lot longer than i though. I haven't really been there in years, i remember back in the day they were pretty much the only site with HD videos (that you didn't have to pay for *cough* giantbomb *cough*

I used to check out HAWYP and AVGN back in the day too. WOW @ 2002, damn i'm an old man now.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#36  Edited By jacksukeru

This really sucks. These days I mostly watched Final Bosman and the occasional video review, but their podcast GT Time was in my top 3 of podcasts I looked forward to every week.

Kyle Bosman is a TREASURE and I hope he lands somewhere where he can keep doing those great videos he does, for my great amusement, but of course I wish the rest of the staff, Brandon, Bloodworth, Huber, Hink + whoever else I'm forgetting all the best as well.

Fonzinator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My list of gaming sites that I followed went IGN, then GT, and now GB. Really sucks to see them go. While I was not a regular anymore, I still watched a review or two. Kyle Bossman had a cool show too.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 14

#38 FinalDasa  Online

Such a shame. I watched GT almost everyday from 2005-2009. Their videos, plus stuff from GB and Rooster Teeth, got me through a really tough time. Hopefully all those duders land on their feet and a real shame they couldn't even give them a few weeks notice.

petethepanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man, this stream is kind of a bummer. I kind of forgot just how much GT stuff I had watched.

atomicoldman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@petethepanda: What bums me out the most is they had plans, man. And were apparently producing content today before being informed that tomorrow they'd be out of a job, at least if I'm understanding things correctly.

Rejizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I really liked their last couple years of content. Anyone who is disappointed that Giant Bomb never did much with DnD should watch GT's Tabletop Adventures. It's good stuff. Hopefully they all land on their feet: can't believe that they only found out today.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 17

GameTrailers was the reason I first check out this site.. I had seen Jeff a few times on Invisible Walls and then in the comments for the MK vs DC review someone said the reviewer was full of shit and that Jeff on Giant Bomb had actually given it a fair score. I check out this site and sure enough, it was true. It seemed like Jeff was the only person on the internet that shared my love of that game.

I didn't watch their stuff anymore but it is still a bummer to see them go.

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Quarters

This super bums me out, especially hearing how short notice it was. Always really dug GT. I wish those guys the best of luck.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#44 chaser324  Moderator

It wasn't around quite as long, but I really came to consider GT as one of the big anchors of internet video games like IGN, Gamespot, and GameFAQs. It's a shame to see it go out like this. I hope the people there are able to find good work elsewhere.

Bam_Boozilled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My introduction to GT was through watching their Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion review many years ago. Watching their video (as well as some others) convinced me to get Oblivion, and that decision has since shaped my time with games. After reading this I frantically tried to find it. It's still a solid review. Watching it again brought back some nostalgia.

I can't say I've spent much time with GT, but they did have some influence on me. It's always weird seeing the end of something like this.

WightnNerdy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

I feel bad for everyone that was laid off but if I were to be completely honest I kinda fell off Gametrailers a while ago. I still liked their stuff but I just never really got into it. I really like Brandon Jones and I'm sure he'll find a solid job pretty quickly.

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's really unfortunate, they always had some very well thought out reviews.
Can't say I'm that familiar with most of the staff there, but I hope that Kyle Bosman finds some way to continue doing what he's doing.

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

What a bummer. My ideal scenario now is for them to form a patreon group not dissimilar to what Kinda Funny is doing. It'd be a real shame to see that group disbanded.