jhudson3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 1

Edited By jhudson3
No Caption Provided

So, I ordered a Razer Lycosa keyboard the other day and I am now saying good bye to my Compaq keyboard from I have no clue when. I was wondering what differences I will notice when I get it and start playing games. If it makes that much of a difference I may have to get a gaming mouse but right now my Logitech cheap mouse is doing great. What are your keyboards and experiences with them?

jhudson3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#1  Edited By jhudson3
No Caption Provided

So, I ordered a Razer Lycosa keyboard the other day and I am now saying good bye to my Compaq keyboard from I have no clue when. I was wondering what differences I will notice when I get it and start playing games. If it makes that much of a difference I may have to get a gaming mouse but right now my Logitech cheap mouse is doing great. What are your keyboards and experiences with them?

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By Skald

I use an Apple keyboard. I like it, but I don't care for the small arrow keys.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Sooty

I can see them being useful if you get ones with extra hotkeys for games like WoW but otherwise...just a keyboard. Not really as useful as a good 'gaming' mouse.

I prefer a solid Cherry keyboard myself, I was tempted to get the Logitech one with the LCD screen at one time but I didn't see the need for it in the end, and it looked quite ugly.

Deusx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Deusx

@Skald: Ewww chiclet keyboard... I don´t know how you can play video games with that thing.

nickb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By nickb64

I don't really see the need for gaming keyboards. My next keyboard will probably be a Microsoft ergonomic 4000

jasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By jasta

For me a gaming mouse is a must, but I can adjust to any old keyboard. Favorite keyboard I've ever owned was the Cooler Master's EAK-US1

Sex.
 Sex.
Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By Ben_H

I don't know how much of a difference you'll have being that you're going from rubber dome to rubber dome but the bigger adjustment will be the low profile keys, which will take a bit of getting used to. It will likely just be different comfort-wise.

The biggest difference to me is upgrading from a rubber dome keyboard to a mechanical keyboard with tactile feedback.   Now that I'm used to the clicks I can't type on a regular keyboard anymore. My keyboard is a Rosewill RK9000, which is a mechanical keyboard with cherry MX blue switches. 

For gaming mice, my opinion is that you get diminishing returns once you surpass around $50 in price. Past that you get into a lot of gimmicky mice with a bunch of lights and horrible laser sensors (optical still seems to be superior in most situations, unless you're a crazy person who uses over 3000 CPI).  If you're happy with your current mouse there's no real need to upgrade.  I personally use a Logitech G1, which is about as basic as you can get in terms of mice, it only cost me around $20 and it works like a charm.  I've used and owned my fair share of high end gaming mice and I still prefer my G1 over all of them.  I like a mouse that "just works", and I don't have to fuss with the settings at all. Just make sure mouse acceleration is turned off in Windows and your mouse sensitivity in Windows is set to 6/11 and you should be good to go for any game.

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By Skald

@Deusx said:

@Skald: Ewww chiclet keyboard... I don´t know how you can play video games with that thing.

Honestly, I don't get why people like clicky keys so much. Besides, I spend most of my time writing, so there's that.

hmmisee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By hmmisee

I use the Logitech MX 5500 set. The keys feel nice to type with and I love the volume controls on the side. Also I hate wires.

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By Vexxan

Still using my standard Logitech keyboard...I don't see the need to spend $100 on a keyboard that does the same shit my $10 keyboard does.

Avatar image for willthemagicasian
WilltheMagicAsian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There is literally no difference between a "gaming keyboard" and a normal membrane keyboard. Unless the keyboard uses mechanical switches, you probably won't feel much of a difference, besides shape of course.

A gaming mouse can be a good thing, or a bad thing. I've owned quite a lot of them and I still end up switching back to my Intellimouse 3.0. The only mouse I did like was the Xai, which I used for 8 months, but the negative accel made me switch back to my 3.0. I'd really only recommend a "gaming mouse" if you need higher DPI or some kind of software to control DPI settings.

predator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By predator

I currently use an old beige Logitech rubber dome keyboard that needs cleaning. I'll get a Topre or Cherry MX Brown one day, not for gaming but for programming with Emacs and touch typing.

Dunchad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Dunchad

I tend to go for keyboards with at least a few macro keys. I like my current one (MS Reclusa), since it gives me additional 3 buttons I can easily hit my with pinky. Other than that, gaming keyboards are not that big of a deal.

Mouses on the other hand - Logitech usually has at least one or two mouses per model generation that has this great shape that I prefer (I palm the mouse). My current one is Optical Gaming Mouse G400. I don't really use the on-the-fly sensitivity changes, but it's nice to have the option. And having 2 thumb-buttons is great.

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Example1013

Having a full-size keyboard is definitely better than playing on a laptop keyboard, but beyond that I don't think the difference is going to be too huge (unless you're upgrading to a mechanical keyboard from one that isn't).

For mice...eh. I've been using the same cheap, two-button wireless mouse for years now. The only thing I liked when I used a mouse with more buttons was I could map the auto-run toggle in Oblivion to the side button so I didn't need to put my hand on the keyboard to get places (which was convenient because I was playing on a laptop keyboard, which gets uncomfortable).

Micully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Micully

I am not sure if this is one of the best mechanical gaming keyboards, but I like my CORSAIR K95 RGB Platinum with Cherry MX Speed switches and other powerful features. I have great gaming experience with that.

https://www.cuou.net/best-budget-gaming-keyboard.html