GB Alum Dan Ryckert Along With Friends of GB Mary Kish and Mike Mahardy Will Be Starting a Gaming Podcast

Avatar image for bladeofcreation
BladeOfCreation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

Dan Ryckert, Mary Kish, and Mike Mahardy just announced a new podcast today. I figured the there'd be some folks here who might be interested, since all three have been either part of or on Giant Bomb content in the past. I personally laughed my ass off at all of Mike's Beastcast stories, miss Dan's input (depending on the day!), and think Mary's Twitch streams are pretty entertaining.

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By ghost_cat

Thanks for sharing this! Subbing right now.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

When the GB subreddit was fan casting Mahardy for GBE when he announced he was joining a podcast soon, I knew this would be the actual outcome. The Fire Escape demo pods they did last year, particularly Game of the Year, were great and I'll easily subscribe to this one. All three of them have perspectives and play games my three other gaming pods (GB generally, Besties, Waypoint) don't generally have interest in covering. Can't wait!

Avatar image for senorsucks2suck
senorsucks2suck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 1

@nodima: best name. Fire Escape Reload.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Really enjoyed their Game of the Year feature so I'll give this a listen. I used to enjoy the Kotaku podcast but kind of fell off that after they transition to Triple Click for whatever reason so now between the occasional Waypoint pod I catch once in a while and the GB usuals it will be nice to have another alternative.

UnintendedBM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

cool!

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

Oh cool! That's a great trio for a podcast. Looking forward to it.

Avatar image for ralphmoustaccio
RalphMoustaccio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A podcast about video games? It'll never work.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i love all these knuckleheads, this is great! thanks for the heads up!

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

I don't have nearly enough time to listen to the podcasts I'm currently subscribed to, but sure, I'll add this to the list.

apewins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll give it a try, sure. My initial impression though is that these 3 goofballs might have a hard time staying on topic, but maybe it'll be interesting either way.

F1REv2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Makes you think that CBSi or Red Ventures doesn't pay enough to GB or Gamespot compared to what you can make on Patreon.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I wonder how much of a stable job the wrestling podcast Dan produces is? With this new pod he's basically back to doing the work he did at GB just on his own but I don't follow his wrestling or Twitch stuff so I don't know how much time he spends on that. Agree with @f1rev2 that CBSi/Red Ventures must not pay well if everyone is looping around to do the same stuff they were doing before except solo.

I wish I could say I will listen to this but I only have so much time to listen to podcasts.

Avatar image for twistedoperator
twistedoperator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dan has finally went full circle after leaving.

ToughShed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brendan said:

I wonder how much of a stable job the wrestling podcast Dan produces is? With this new pod he's basically back to doing the work he did at GB just on his own but I don't follow his wrestling or Twitch stuff so I don't know how much time he spends on that.

His job definitely involves things with live events and WWE shows so given that those haven't existed with WWE for a year I would guess he's had more free time at the least. I was worried for him he was going to get laid off with all that, but he produces that New Day pod so.

It is hilarious to see him basically recreate his entire last career as a side gig. Frankly I knew he couldn't stay away, just felt like he grew apart from what GB is now, which I personally get.

ToughShed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@f1rev2 said:

Makes you think that CBSi or Red Ventures doesn't pay enough to GB or Gamespot compared to what you can make on Patreon.

eh... I bet its about more than pay. Dan seems to be having way more fun. I feel like GB is so much busy work and the strucutre and idea of what it should be and how its run really doesn't inspire creativity or experimentation at all anymore.

frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@f1rev2 said:

Odd conclusion to reach since all three of the people involved here left Gamespot/GB to take full time jobs at other companies.

It's more like they realized after the fact that if you have name recognition and the energy to do it, it's just leaving money on the table to not launch a Twitch/Patreon parasocialtastic side gig.

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To those who speculate on the salary from their past/current jobs: they love talking about games, the love talking to one another, so why not do a podcast and maybe earn a little extra in a side hustle? Sounds like it's just a thing they want to do, nothing more.

beyblades99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

that's nice the little millennials think they can compete with the biggest gaming podcast in the world

Avatar image for deactivated-6357e03f55494
deactivated-6357e03f55494

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What does this wrestling Podcaster know about video games? Crazy, I bet he likes Mario Party or something.

All jokes aside, that trio of personalities is super exciting.

Avatar image for spacemanspiff00
spacemanspiff00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think I've finally hit a point where the idea of another podcast in my life is too much. At this point everyone and their damn dog has one. Especially about Video games. Good luck to Dan, Mary Kish, and Mike but no thanks.

MrGreenMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This sounds like a lot of fun. All these people are fun to listen to so I will give it a listen for sure.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#23  Edited By BisonHero

I've pretty deliberately avoided Dan's twitch after checking it out once for 20 minutes, but how is Dan's relationship with gaming these days? My last recollection of Dan on GB is that he seemed particularly subdued on his last GotY and didn't fight very hard for or against many games, and I kinda got the vibe that he wasn't as enthused about game reviewing/coverage anymore and was happy to try out the career change into the wrestling podcast thing. Has Dan talked about that on his Twitch, or is it just wacky hijinx and fart noises?

The WWE thing seemed like a new start for him, so it just seems weird to see him jump back into gaming so soon. Dan quit a salaried games coverage job to take on a salaried wrestling job, only to then create a new part-time game streaming/podcast gig for himself within a few months. I guess the accountability of a game streamer/podcaster is lower since you're kinda an amateur commentator and it's a lot more casual, so maybe that's something.

UltimAXE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks for the heads up. I tend to not follow people in their new ventures when they leave Giant Bomb (or GameSpot, as the case may be), even though I enjoy what they contributed to the site during their tenure. I did give Waypoint a chance, but Austin doesn't do a whole lot of writing for it anymore and I have a tough time making it through their podcast, sadly. I have a feeling that Dan, Mary, and Mike will produce something more to my liking.

Yeah, it's sort of crazy how Dan has looped back around and fallen back into being a public face, talking about and playing video games for the masses. And I use the term "crazy" because of that exit interview he gave (can't remember with who, sorry) in which he spoke as if he was so done with it all. Maybe his little bit of time out of the spotlight recharged his batteries.

ape_dosmil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Subscribed, thanks for sharing. The game of the year streams they recorded together were great so I'm really looking forward to a regular podcast. Dan's work ethic is insane.

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

This is cool. I’m not sure if I will listen to this since I’m at the point in my life where I get video game podcast fatigue very quickly. I’m also trying to listen to more news oriented podcasts to mix things up.

But good for them. The little bit of their GOTY stuff they did on Twitch was good from the stuff I watched, so this sounds promising.

Superharman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 20

Thanks for the share, love all these people.

TMBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

About time

superslidetail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Their GOTY podcast was very good. I'd be more inclined to listen if it were posted on YouTube as well.