Geostorm looks like The Core of our time

Phoenix654

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 4

I know that the old guard of Giant Bomb have quite a passion for terrible movies. Alex has talked about them at length and he even went to review the Adam Sandler abomination that was Pixels on his birthday. There's a new train wreck looking film that is coming out tomorrow called Geostorm that I've been seeing trailers for against my will for the past month (thank you, YouTube). It's apparently about a time in the future when we've built an orbital missile system that shoots bad weather out of the sky and gives humanity perfect weather all the time... until shit starts going WRONG. Destruction and intrigue ensues complete with tsunamis that are frozen solid, whee.

It looks real fuckin' dumb, but in a way that reminds me of another dubiously science based movie, namely the Aaron Eckhart classic, The Core. Let's be very clear, The Core is a bad movie full of bad science that is an enjoyable time to watch with friends so you can give it the MST3K treatment in your own home. Alex has talked about this movie as well at some point in the recent BeastCast past. It's not a complete failure of a film, it's just trying to be Armageddon (not a high standard to aim for in the first place) super hard and misses the mark in pretty much every way possible. This is why I'm kind of excited for Geostorm, not because I think it'll be good, but because I can't wait for it to be in a budget theater so I can laugh at it. Anyone else in this boat with me?

Brommel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Wait, isn't the The Core the The Core of our time? Also this movie looks like the real dumb stuff I love.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Capum15

I knew very little about it except it seemed to be another global disaster film, and that Geostorm is a real dumb but kind of awesome name.

Now I know that it involves Orbital Weather Missiles? I kind of want to see it. I enjoy some dumb, bad movies that aren't in the "actually terrible/unfunny" category.

Edit: Also there's that movie with the tagline of "What if suddenly the ground was gone?" and I also want to see that, 100% based off the tagline.

DarkeyeHails

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@phoenix654: It was Austin's birthday when they went to see Pixels, IIRC.

Avatar image for planetfunksquad
planetfunksquad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@capum15 said:

Edit: Also there's that movie with the tagline of "What if suddenly the ground was gone?" and I also want to see that, 100% based off the tagline.

Thats Skybound. I too want to see that movie, if only because my friends and I spent the better part of a week yelling "WHAT IF SUDDENLY NO FLOOR??111" at each other after we heard about it and I need closure on that time in my life.

Avatar image for alwaysbebombing
alwaysbebombing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well now I'm excited

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By MiniPato

I bet the twist is that the weather satellite is hijacked by a bunch of disgruntled ex-weathermen who have been put out of work. Gonna go see it since some friends want to see it. It looks like stupid entertainment which I don't mind, but I can't stand Gerard Butler and his chewing gum American accent.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

Can't I just watch Die Another Day instead?

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

Really bad timing for this movie with all the recent natural disasters.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Ezekiel

Saw the trailer when I went to watch Blade Runner 2. Looked pretty dumb. I don't purposefully watch bad movies, though, so I'm just gonna ignore it and not think about it.

Phoenix654

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Phoenix654

@phoenix654: It was Austin's birthday when they went to see Pixels, IIRC.

My mistake. It's been a while since then...

Avatar image for deactivated-5a0917a2494ce
deactivated-5a0917a2494ce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Looks amazingly stupid so I’m probably going to se it. The Core is one of my favorite movies; and I can watch any disaster film and have a good time.

dynamix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Having rewatched The Core on tv just a few days ago, I am not at all ready for another one of these.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

Sitting at a 27% on RT, I’m quite surprised it’s so high. The premise is supremely stupid but I have a soft spot for disaster movies that enjoy throwing just all the CGI in your face. Also, they do turn out okay sometimes. That one with The Rock was pretty decent I recall.

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

Yeah, I might have to watch this. I just read a review that mentioned "cinema’s first shot of a camel running away from a tidal wave" and have been laughing uncontrollably since.

@capum15 said:

Thats Skybound. I too want to see that movie, if only because my friends and I spent the better part of a week yelling "WHAT IF SUDDENLY NO FLOOR??111" at each other after we heard about it and I need closure on that time in my life.

Haha, I approve of you and your friends.

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

When I was younger, I loved disaster movies. Like I was excited to see The Core and The Day After Tomorrow. I'm not sure if those movies have changed or if I have, but Geostorm looks DUMB!

FiestaUnicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

So, it looks amazing then, right??

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, I might have to watch this. I just read a review that mentioned "cinema’s first shot of a camel running away from a tidal wave" and have been laughing uncontrollably since.

Holy crap that's hilarious.

Phoenix654

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sitting at a 27% on RT, I’m quite surprised it’s so high. The premise is supremely stupid but I have a soft spot for disaster movies that enjoy throwing just all the CGI in your face. Also, they do turn out okay sometimes. That one with The Rock was pretty decent I recall.

This has dropped to 18% (though 54% on audience score). For the record, The Core ended up at 41% (33% audience).

So, it looks amazing then, right??

Riiiiiiight... "Amazing." Maybe even "...amazing!!!*"

*pulled from a review by a newspaper/magazine owned by the studio that made it.

DarkeyeHails

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@phoenix654: Sadly, it has. More on topic, yes, Geostorm looks like it could be an amazing beer & movie night in the making. I'm not sure it will have The Core's Stanley Tucci factor though, which definitely helps elevate it for me.

Phoenix654

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darkeyehails: Agreed, the Tucci factor cannot be overlooked. More movies should be rated on that scale.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a0917a2494ce
deactivated-5a0917a2494ce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Supposedly a lot of people have said this movie is boring and that the "disaster" pieces are very short. That's disappointing if true because The Core is anything but boring.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This movie's pretty incredible so it would seem:

Loading Video...