GFW Radio anyone?

littlemanbodie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By littlemanbodie

I just got done listening to some old GFW (Games For Windows) episodes finishing up with the “Merchants of Cool” ep. and couldn’t help but think that this was/is probably the greatest podcast to ever hit the itunes store. I feel that the chemistry between all the members that made up the Brodeo was at such a high level that, in my opinion, that kind of cohesiveness hasn’t been matched since. Though maybe the Bombcast has been there for a while but it just seems that GFW Radio was a one of a kind with the way they would basically create each show on the spot and still be entertaining despite sometimes being unprepared (ok, all the time). That being said I just wanted to know if any fellow fans of the sadly retired podcast still take some time to go back and listen to the oldies. Also what were some of your favorite stories or Heroes of the Web? I personally love the one where Shawn is reading off some guy’s posts about his hopes for a good score of a Halo 3 review. I actually think it mentions Jeff Gerstmann’s review from when he was over at Gamespot. Anyways it would be cool to hear some of your favorites too.       

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By crusader8463

I'm sure we will get nothing but hate for saying so, but I'm with ya. As much as I like the Bombcast, it's not even close to the old 1up podcasts. Those guys were the podcasting equivalent to a symphony orchestra working in tandem to create a perfect harmony. They all played off one another perfectly, and were always entertaining to listen to as they argued back and forth. As in all podcasts, the tangents/stories are always the best ones and holy hell did those guys have some great ones. 

I have been meaning to go back one day and listen to them all. I just figured 1up had deleted them all from the site by now. Don't really have any favourite moments though, as I liked them all.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By crusader8463

Some of their more well known ones, but the sonic marrige and the Conan cyber sex ones are two of my favs.   

littlemanbodie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By littlemanbodie
@crusader8463: It's good to see I'm not alone on this one. Yeah, I wanna say that 1up has a majority of the 1up podcasts still up, but I haven't been on that site in a while. Though your right, all of their stories/ tangents are all really great.
LackLuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By LackLuster

GFW was the best but I feel like Bombcast is also at that level

mosdef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By mosdef

#1  - Hearing  Anthony's dating updates and fails.  glad to hear someone else loves the this gem.

k9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By k9

The kind of chemistry that gfw radio and 1up yours had remains unmatched among gaming podcasts to this day. Even in its best days bombcast can barely recreate the magic that was a common occurrence for gfw radio and 1up yours during pinnacle of their existence. One of my favorite stories to come out of these podcasts: 

Unlike gfw and 1up yours, I can't recall even a single  funny story from bombcastl from the top of my head. Sure, there are funny moments, but almost nonexistent interesting stories. When I cogitate about bombcast all I can unfortunately think of is Brad's constant bitching or vinny's dislike for some game.
Avatar image for DELETE_chickenpants
ChickenPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ChickenPants

The best gaming podcast ever. Honestly it is magnitudes better than the Bombcast . I didn't even have the privilege of listening to it when it was current, I just heard how amazing it was and went back to listen to it in the last year. They're all such intelligent guys. They rarely talk about games. Shawn Elliot has to be one of the most bright and intelligent guys in the industry. When they did talk about games I don't think I've ever heard a critic give better analysis. There was a real kind of ''us against the world mentality'' in the way that they were PC-gamers working in a dieing medium in an industry being increasingly dominated by console gamers. 

The humour and variety on the podcast was simply second to none. Heroes of the Web, Shawn's Stories, Jeff's Stories, Robert's Trips, Chuff Love, the recording of Anthony bitching about the guys, Shawn in Second Life, The guests were always fantastic, the episode where it was just Shawn and Robert interviewing people outside of Gamestop, the death of the magazine.etc The show was never the same. As you said they'd go in with no ideas and come up with magic. The humour and analysis was much more intelligent than the Bombcast. On the Bombcast analysis usually encompasses whining and nitpicking without ever really explaining, saying something is an '' God of War ass God of War game'', saying some bullshit like ''Yo, heard you like Mario?'', or saying something is janky.

I could go on for much longer about how much I love this podcast. And there's no element of nostalgia or sentiment coming from me since as I said I only listened to it after its actual run. I know it's unfair to wish that the Bombcast could be more like GFW Radio considering they're such different people but I wish the Bombcast could try and introduce some more variety and craziness to their shows. While still good I feel like it can be a bit stagnant and boring at times as they just churn through the same old segments.

But yeah. Love GFW. Still listen back to old episodes to this day. Long live The Brodeo!

''It's Summa Time!''

Avatar image for hunkaburningluv
hunkaburningluv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By hunkaburningluv

A fantastic podcast. Infact, all the 1UP PODCASTS form a few years ago were utterly fantastic, IMO only the Bombcast and Weekend Confirmed come close when it comes to gaming podcasts - it's actually quite sad what has become of 1UP....... 

As it stands now, for me, the bombcast is getting very close to the quality of GFW radio sometimes it even surpasses it. 

HS21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By HS21

I'll probably go back and listen to the GFW podcasts from episode 1 and on. Same goes for Idle Thumbs. The best podcasts always have to end it seems. I love the bombcast and it is my go to podcast but only by default since GFW and Idle Thumbs are no longer with us. 

ColinWright

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By ColinWright

By far the greatest podcast. Even Whitta said it on the latest This is Only a Test.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By penguindust

I think GFW Radio was the best group ever assembled for a podcast, although even at the time, I preferred 1Up Yours because it offered more video game information that I needed on a weekly basis.  Because GFW Radio was looser and replete with these great stories, it holds up a lot better than old 1UP and just as old Bombcasts will 5 years from now.  I had hopes for Out of the Game and listened to the first dozen or so shows, but because everyone was so spread out and because each person was into their own thing, it lost some of the magic.  These days, the best show with the best cast is The Bombcast, but I still don't believe it is as entertaining as GFW Radio was.  Part of that is because I don't believe any of the GB staff really want to reveal that much about their pasts.  Shawn Elliot, Jeff Green, Robert Ashley and later Anthony Gallegos were always willing to tell these embarassing stories of their past misdeeds.  Jeff, Ryan and the boys are more reserved and so the show is more like 1Up Yours than GFW Radio. 

BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By BonOrbitz

GFW Radio
Listen to our podcast, yo yo
*beatboxing turns to sobbing*

My fiance and I loved that podcast about computer games that occasionally talked about computer games. It truly was amazing. I'll agree with hunkuaburningluv that the Bombcast is getting there...

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By crusader8463

I will always associate the old 1up podcasts with Left 4 Dead and the hammer editor. When I was teaching myself how to make maps for L4D I put in well over 300 hours with the Hammer editor, and the majority of that time I spent listening to those podcasts.

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By Skytylz
@crusader8463 said:
I'm sure we will get nothing but hate for saying so, but I'm with ya. As much as I like the Bombcast, it's not even close to the old 1up podcasts. Those guys were the podcasting equivalent to a symphony orchestra working in tandem to create a perfect harmony. They all played off one another perfectly, and were always entertaining to listen to as they argued back and forth. As in all podcasts, the tangents/stories are always the best ones and holy hell did those guys have some great ones.  I have been meaning to go back one day and listen to them all. I just figured 1up had deleted them all from the site by now. Don't really have any favourite moments though, as I liked them all.
Don't worry, I agree.  1up yours takes a shit on the Bombcast, but that's not saying the bombcast isn't great.  The 1up podcasts were just so amazing, good times.
Brother_PipPop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Brother_PipPop

What about what came after, the real magik LANPARTY! 

Avatar image for DELETE_chickenpants
ChickenPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ChickenPants

I really don't agree with people saying that the Bombcast is near GFW's level. I still think it's way off. Don't think it's getting better either. I just don't seem to enjoy it as much anymore. Maybe it's not as good as it used to be or perhaps it's just me. 
Thought I'd never say it but I now think that I like the Tested podcast more than the Bombcast. I don't even know what they're talking about half the time! The Will-Norm-Gary dynamic is fantastic. Whitta's a godamn force of nature on that thing.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By crusader8463
@ChickenPants: I listened to a couple a little while back, and I was really surprised at how much I liked it. If it wasn't for so much of the podcast being them talking about those dam smart phones I would make it my primary one. As much as I love the tangent sections, I just can't sit through all that smart phone/mac talk because I literally have zero interest in it. 

As for the Bombcast, well I too enjoy it but it is getting stale. It has a few good moments in each episode but as a whole it's not always as fun to listen to. I think they need a little less structure, and a little more what's on their mind.
Avatar image for deactivated-5e851fc84effd
deactivated-5e851fc84effd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No podcast will ever come close to the magic of GFW radio. The Bombcast is still very good though and definitely the best podcast currently being produced IMO.

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#20  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

I loved all the old 1up podcasts! GFW Radio was my far the greatest. I can still totally listen to those anyday.@LittlemanBodie said:

I just got done listening to some old GFW (Games For Windows) episodes finishing up with the “Merchants of Cool” ep. and couldn’t help but think that this was/is probably the greatest podcast to ever hit the itunes store.  
That episode is amazing. "Our FPS has innovative new multiplayer modes like Capture the Flag." 

The one were Shawn outs his fake 1up account named "idealposter" and the story of Shawn and Robert going to the protest about Ubisoft's "America's Army" game are 2 of my favorite non Heroes of the web. Oh and the Conan Cyber Sex reading, I almost passed out when I listened to that. Oh course the Heroes of the Web were always awesome. 

But my number one story by far has to be "Satisfaction Jackson". If you listened to Brodeo then you know what I'm talking about.
littlemanbodie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By littlemanbodie
@ChickenPants: Damn man, couldn't have put it better myself. Great to hear you eventually found it though. I actually remember subscribing back in 2007 with never having listened to any other podcast before that and also having never played PC games before. But for some reason I decided to listen and I am so fucking glad I did.  

Coke, Pepi, Frito Lay. They'll pay us money!  
thehexeditor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By thehexeditor

The Brodeo was the best podcast ever. Period.

It made me laugh so hard on many occasions- anything that can do that to me is quite important.

Avatar image for hunkaburningluv
hunkaburningluv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By hunkaburningluv
@PenguinDust said:
I think GFW Radio was the best group ever assembled for a podcast, although even at the time, I preferred 1Up Yours because it offered more video game information that I needed on a weekly basis.  Because GFW Radio was looser and replete with these great stories, it holds up a lot better than old 1UP and just as old Bombcasts will 5 years from now.  I had hopes for Out of the Game and listened to the first dozen or so shows, but because everyone was so spread out and because each person was into their own thing, it lost some of the magic.  These days, the best show with the best cast is The Bombcast, but I still don't believe it is as entertaining as GFW Radio was.  Part of that is because I don't believe any of the GB staff really want to reveal that much about their pasts.  Shawn Elliot, Jeff Green, Robert Ashley and later Anthony Gallegos were always willing to tell these embarassing stories of their past misdeeds.  Jeff, Ryan and the boys are more reserved and so the show is more like 1Up Yours than GFW Radio. 

Totally true mate, that's why I believe that johnny V should be on a helluva lot more (get well soon dude)
nidzumi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#24  Edited By nidzumi

I do like the Giant Bombcast but the fact that it's structured and hits on the news, recent releases and all means that it will never have the crazy tangents that made GFW great. Although I don't mind that, I need some source of news and everything and it might as well be the Giant Bombcast. Maybe when GB expands they can have a strange podcast like GFW.

Trejik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#25  Edited By Trejik

I'm surprised to say that (keeping in mind I haven't listened to most of the old brodeo, just about 6 months before the close of Ziff) Rebel FM comes close to the love, at least in terms of the feel of the show, and is one of the big contenders against Giant Bomb. That said, IGN's Game Scoop! is an amazing show in terms of actual structure, and it seems that the new Joystiq Show is going to emulate their style. To those saying that GB is good in the sense that they provide news as well, for a super condensed version of it, Game Scoop! is great. They bring in the most relevant staff from IGN fr that week (The guy who reviewed the big release, the guy that went out to previews, etc.) and it changes the dynamics every week.

But obviously all y'all aren't on the greatest tangent-based gaming podcast in existence. THE GAMESPY DEBRIEFINGS. Anthony "Back-Farts" Gallegos, Ryan "OH BOY!" Scott, Scott "What's up internet?" Bromley and Brian "Brap Brap" Altano. These guys tell the funniest stories, and the most ridiculous gags, great themed episodes...

It has very little to do with gaming, except the gaming jokes here and there, and office related jokes, but that makes it perfect to listen to even today. The backlog is good as of Ryan's arrival, (arguably before that as well) but it becomes gold when Bromley arrives. It's a must-listen.

I'm off to listen to old GFW's.

MisterChief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By MisterChief

GFW was great because they didn't give a fuck.

AlmostSwedish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By AlmostSwedish
@Trejik said:
  But obviously all y'all aren't on the greatest tangent-based gaming podcast in existence. THE GAMESPY DEBRIEFINGS.
I can agree to some extent. The show is hilarious, but it lacks the intelligence that The Brodeo had.

Also, while I loved GFW Radio as much as the next guy, I think the fact that the show basically died as a martyr make people remember it more fondly.
I'm glad they stopped when they were still on top though.
ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#28  Edited By ajamafalous

I definitely agree that Ryan's severe structure of the Bombcast has made it lose some of its magic that it's had in past years. At this point I just listen to it in hopes of tangents and I get really irritated whenever Ryan makes everyone move it. 

Kinda the same thing for the Happy Hour, really.

VanillaPlant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By VanillaPlant

I miss all the random shit on GFW.

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#31  Edited By jeanluc  Staff
NegativeCero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By NegativeCero

I'm still going through them and I'm convinced that I missed the best period that 1UP went through. 

Quesa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#33  Edited By Quesa

I've gone back and listened to GFW Radio twice, and listened to it from '08 onward while it was airing. The dynamic between Shawn's ability to elucidate why he likes or dislikes certain games and the group's willingness to be open with their format made for some very re-listenable stuff.  

TheH1ppo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#34  Edited By TheH1ppo

My absolute favorite moments were when Shawn was retelling the shenanigans that took place when he and Rory had an adventure in Second Life! The horrible creatures that were their characters are actually pictured on an image hosting site. I busted up laughing so hard during the whole thing. When he talked about griefing the hooker in the skyscraper, laid on the beach with a dude who was just sitting there and got all offended, got into a fight in a club with a guy he referred to as a "minotaur" and the infamous Bukakke Club. "Why is it raining in here?"

I'd like to really drive home the point of how intelligent Shawn Elliott is. He recommended a lot of books that I want to make a list of and actually read, always had some knowledge to drop, able to think critically like nobody's business and wasn't afraid to reconsider his stance on something if a compelling argument was made. On top of that, he was absolutely hilarious! He had so many things to say about different types of people in this society and was able to talk about it in humorous ways that actually made you think. 

Anthony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Anthony

CGW/GFW Radio is my all time favorite and Idle Thumbs is a close second. I love the bombcast and all but it's a really different style of podcast.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By MeierTheRed
@LackLuster said:
GFW was the best but I feel like Bombcast is also at that level
Sadly can't say the same.
thehexeditor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By thehexeditor
@TheH1ppo said:
I'd like to really drive home the point of how intelligent Shawn Elliott is. He recommended a lot of books that I want to make a list of and actually read, always had some knowledge to drop, able to think critically like nobody's business and wasn't afraid to reconsider his stance on something if a compelling argument was made. On top of that, he was absolutely hilarious! He had so many things to say about different types of people in this society and was able to talk about it in humorous ways that actually made you think. 
Totally agree, Shawn Elliott is a silly, silly man but also extremely intelligent as well.
Maajin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Maajin

Oh god... That segment about the girl who married sonic just changed my life. I spent the last hour or so researching about her website, and it is the greatest thing I've ever found on the internet.

shadystx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#39  Edited By shadystx
@LittlemanBodie: Only the bombcast has come close to matching what the podcasts at 1up where like, Personally i prefered 1up yours more i a loved the team of Garnett,Shane,Luke and John and for any old fans that team will reunite next week i think on garnetts new show weekend confirmed over on shack news, and anyone who never heard them should check it out.

The PC guys were great also I liked Shawn Elliot he also used to fill in on garnetts podcast and he always had nice fleshed out opinions with no bullshit, Shawn baby and jeff green also real funny guys, I would have loved to have had a night out  or a party or something with all the old guys from 1up.

The site is not the same anymore, The new podcast games dammit is not as good, The crew are ok J.Parish gets on my nerves sometimes but he is knowledgeable in gaming history, seems like a nice guy just sometimes i wish i could tell him to stop moaning.

Seems like their is very few great gaming podcasts(bombcast of course) anymore, If anyone has any suggestions i would be glad to check them out.