Giant Bomb at 240p mono (how covid has changed our living spaces)

mikachops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By mikachops

This isn’t much of a topic but thought it’d be fun to share.

Because covid is getting worse again where I am, my partner and I decided to remix our living spaces as we’re probably looking at 6 more months of wfh (wouldn’t be surprised if it ends up being a year...). Top of the list was to convert one of our offices into a retro gaming room and buy a new CRT.

This isn’t a stealth "CRT’s are rad" thread but I’m gonna say it anyway; CRT’s are rad and they make everything cosier. Had GB playing on this thing all evening, can recommend :)

No Caption Provided

Bonus scanline Jan:

No Caption Provided

Anyone else jumped into CRT’s or made their own dedicated gaming rooms during covid?

daiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

Look at that dynamic range. This is true HDR.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

How is that picture in this post but there is no use of the term “Janlines”?

mikachops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By mikachops

@daiphyer: Silent Hill looks nicer playing through that video on that screen than it does directly on my mac ha

Broshmosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How is that picture in this post but there is no use of the term “Janlines”?

I was too late to see this thread is how.

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You can smell the tasty diodes oozing out of Jan's face.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Damn. Wild how good Silent Hill looks on that thing. It's been so long since I've seen footage or pictures of a CRT that I forgot what sort of je ne sais quois they brought to older titles.

Bardalien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mikachops:

How did you get this to work? Rgb converter from pc?

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

That looks like a nice size too. I had an expesive Sony Trinitron 1080i CRT back in 1999, it must have weight 75 lbs, it was a pain to move. And, yes, I did pay too much for that Wega, and only kept it for 4 years because it was too hard to move from apartment to apartment.

The size you have look great, far more reasosnale size and weight!

mikachops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By mikachops

@bardalien: I’ve got one of those Wega HD CRT’s next to it on the right - weighs I think 88kg? Took us a half hour (and a lot of yelling) getting it from downstairs into its final position... I’m dreading moving it again.

The little one is perfect though and is my favourite of the 2. I super recommend going to the effort to find one of that size, just can’t play PS2 upwards as well as a bigger set imo. Gonna get it converted to component soon too.

@monkeyking1969: Nah just a simple hdmi (connected to a macbook) to composite converter box. You can find them online but there’s definitely different quality ones floating around. Took us a couple of orders to find a box that did it good enough.

Saying that, I did try feeding my PC to it to play Dragon Quest 11. Unfortunately though, getting my graphics card, let alone the game itself, to downscale to such a resolution was a massive pain and it looked pretty bad (if still bright and pretty).

The best thing (aside from older games) to play on it has been old movies and those long rainy day city walk videos you can find on youtube. Very chill.

@the_nubster: Even streaming through a browser video player and converter box it looks nice ha. The smaller CRT’s are really magical like that.