• 59 results
Blitzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

Edited By Blitzer

I'm sure everyone has seen Jeff's post by now. (Incase you haven't)
Epic speech I must say, even if you guys were kinda off the deep end during E3. (Understandable) 

Personally, I paid for "the previous website". I did it because of the people there, I wanted them to be getting my hard earned money directly (although I'm sure CNET (or whoever it was) saw most of it. But for GB, I'm sure you guys would see 100% or near that of the profits. Why not try a subscription model instead of ads and paying a corporation for your success? I get that you may not want to segregate people based on their income, but if you at least give an option of ads, fewer ads + $5 a month or just $10 a month or something like that, I think it could work. 

Just my 2 cents though, good luck guys and keep the info coming! 

Blitzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Blitzer

I'm sure everyone has seen Jeff's post by now. (Incase you haven't)
Epic speech I must say, even if you guys were kinda off the deep end during E3. (Understandable) 

Personally, I paid for "the previous website". I did it because of the people there, I wanted them to be getting my hard earned money directly (although I'm sure CNET (or whoever it was) saw most of it. But for GB, I'm sure you guys would see 100% or near that of the profits. Why not try a subscription model instead of ads and paying a corporation for your success? I get that you may not want to segregate people based on their income, but if you at least give an option of ads, fewer ads + $5 a month or just $10 a month or something like that, I think it could work. 

Just my 2 cents though, good luck guys and keep the info coming! 

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By EpicSteve

I'm not going to pay just so I don't have to look at a Kinect ad. I mean, really? I love GiantBomb, but I'm not going to give them money unless they're providing me some premium level of service. But what would that be? Video the rest of the community wont see? That's just silly. With a large amount of wiki edits, reviews, and forum activity I've performed my role in GiantBomb contribution.

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By wefwefasdf

What speech are you referring to? I haven't seen it.

Edit: Found it. Never mind.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
@EpicSteve said:
" I'm not going to pay just so I don't have to look at a Kinect ad. I mean, really? I love GiantBomb, but I'm not going to give them money unless they're providing me some premium level of service. But what would that be? Video the rest f the community wont see? That's just silly. With a large amount of wiki edits, reviews, and forum activity I've performed my role in GiantBomb contribution. "
Real time webcam of Jeffs house. Thats prem service right there 
deathstroke75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By deathstroke75

premium service, upon joining you will be a member of the Durgers of the Month Club.  

goodwood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6  Edited By goodwood

GB has had ads before such as ones for halo where the halo page had a custom skin and they have also had ads for Tekken. Jeff and crew know how to handle the ads and it wont be like IGN where your eyes get fucked by giant flashing ads.

davidwitten22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By davidwitten22

No. Your idea is the opposite of what I want for this site.

gearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By gearhead

All I hope is that I don't have to watch a thirty second ad before every video, like what happened to me before ODST launched.

Blitzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Blitzer

Well I don't know if you went to "the previous site" or not, but they had the right idea IMO. 

The main point for paying is that your supporting something you enjoy. Not because it's not worth it. You buy music you like right? You pay to see movies and to play games you like? So why not to help out websites you like? 

Again I do think it should be a reasonable cost.

aleryn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#10  Edited By aleryn

Oh, I never noticed Bomb is adless.  Huh.  

Ads'd be okay.  Just offer premium account for $$$ to turn em off, and some cool perks.

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
@Blitzer said:
" Well I don't know if you went to Gamespot before or not, but they had the right idea IMO.  The main point for paying is that your supporting something you enjoy. Not because it's not worth it. You buy music you like right? You pay to see movies and to play games you like? So why not to help out websites you like?  Again I do think it should be a reasonable cost. "
Might not wanna mention gamespot here. 
Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#12  Edited By Daveyo520

It has had ads before, they weren't bad.
Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By Animasta
@The_Laughing_Man said:
" @Blitzer said:
" Well I don't know if you went to Gamespot before or not, but they had the right idea IMO.  The main point for paying is that your supporting something you enjoy. Not because it's not worth it. You buy music you like right? You pay to see movies and to play games you like? So why not to help out websites you like?  Again I do think it should be a reasonable cost. "
Might not wanna mention gamespot here.  "
why not? I'm pretty sure Jeff's gotten over it by now.
Avatar image for DELETE_chickenpants
ChickenPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ChickenPants

They can plaster every inch of the website with ads for all I care. Even before videos if they want.

The guys provide me with so much entertainment I have no problem with ads if I know it keeps food on their tables.

JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By JP_Russell

They've already said in the past that they plan to have some sort of subscription model once the site becomes big enough, and obviously removing the ads would be one of the things subscribing would do.

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
@Laketown said:
" @The_Laughing_Man said:
" @Blitzer said:
Might not wanna mention gamespot here.  "
why not? I'm pretty sure Jeff's gotten over it by now. "
But to suggest the same payment play that gamespot uses? And I know Jeff might have gotten over it. But I do not think OP Wants this thread to become a flame war with some of the users I know have not gotten over it. 
EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By EpicSteve
@Blitzer said:
" Well I don't know if you went to "the previous site" or not, but they had the right idea IMO.  The main point for paying is that your supporting something you enjoy. Not because it's not worth it. You buy music you like right? You pay to see movies and to play games you like? So why not to help out websites you like?  Again I do think it should be a reasonable cost. "
Websites are supposed to be free.
Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

If there's subscription models involved, then I'm out.

I couldn't care less for ads, I mean GB is nice and clean, but as long as they don't pop up in my screen and flash/jump around and have a near invisible X button, then I'm fine with ads.

Money has got to roll innit?

Blitzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Blitzer
@EpicSteve said:
" @Blitzer said:
" Well I don't know if you went to "the previous site" or not, but they had the right idea IMO.  The main point for paying is that your supporting something you enjoy. Not because it's not worth it. You buy music you like right? You pay to see movies and to play games you like? So why not to help out websites you like?  Again I do think it should be a reasonable cost. "
Websites are supposed to be free. "
There would be options, like I said. You won't have to pay, but you can if you so choose.
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
@dudeglove said:
" @Aleryn said:
" Oh, I never noticed Bomb is adless.  Huh.    Ads'd be okay.  Just offer premium account for $$$ to turn em off, and some cool perks. "
Outside of the states I think it's ad-free. It is for me, at least.I think everyone got the ODST ads on the vids, though. "
I am in the U.S and never saw ads aside from the Bioshock 2 one. Which I thought was a great background. 
voodooterror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By voodooterror
@davidwitten22 said:
" No. Your idea is the opposite of what I want for this site. "
this
EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By EpicSteve
@Blitzer said:
" @EpicSteve said:
" @Blitzer said:
There would be options, like I said. You won't have to pay, but you can if you so choose. "
Who would choose to and why? Besides the staff has come out and spoken against this method of getting money from us. T-Shirts and occasional ads seem to be their model.
FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#24  Edited By FluxWaveZ

Subscription?  $5.00 per fucking month!?  Ha! 

No, I've had my stupid fill with IGN Insider, and that turned out to be a waste of my time and my money.

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#25  Edited By wefwefasdf

I would be interested in a Giant Bomb subscription. Especially if they added HD videos sometime in the future.

Blitzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Blitzer
@EpicSteve said:
" @Blitzer said:
" @EpicSteve said:
" @Blitzer said:
There would be options, like I said. You won't have to pay, but you can if you so choose. "
Who would choose to and why? Besides the staff has come out and spoken against this method of getting money from us. T-Shirts and occasional ads seem to be their model. "
I don't want to start a flame war here. People have different levels of income. That was my point is all. 
Also it is possible that Jeff and Ryan have mentioned something like this in the past. But I'm too lazy to go verify that.
septim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#27  Edited By septim
@davidwitten22 said:
" No. Your idea is the opposite of what I want for this site. "
Yup.

I love and want to support Giant Bomb. But a tiered site with restricted content would fracture the cool userbase they've developed. It would only wind up hurting the site in the long run.

It should be all about ad space and page-views. That's how just about every site runs on the web.
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#28  Edited By natetodamax

As long as they don't turn to subscriptions or anything like that, then whatever.

Okari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Okari

I'd be happy paying a few dollars a month if they make a PS3 compatible video player. Oh what I would give to be able to watch GB on my TV again.

dantheman1515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By dantheman1515
@ChickenPants: Someone understands how the world works! Its a miracle, I'm not alone! This is my favorite website by far, they didn't have to have 3 hour podcasts after each day of E3, they could have went to the parties after the show like every other website did but they didn't and entertained their fans. 
crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#31  Edited By crusader8463

The day I come to giantbomb and can't access a video or feature because I didn't pay for a subscription fee is the day I'm done with the site. I like them and am willing to go so far as to disable my ad blocker on their site if it means keeping them around, but if I need to start paying a monthly/yearly fee they can go fuck themselves. No website on the internet is worth paying a fee to access.

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By alternate
@Blitzer said:

. I did it because of the people there, I wanted them to be getting my hard earned money directly (although I'm sure CNET (or whoever it was) saw most of it. But for GB, I'm sure you guys would see 100% or near that of the profits.

I doubt that.  I would imagine all the staff - except maybe Jeff - are on salaries with no stake in the business.  It is the investors that would see any return, which is fair enough, they have been pretty patient so far.  Of course profitability means they all get to keep working jobs they seem to really like for the most part so it is good news all around.
Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Spoonman671

Bring on the ads.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Ben_H
@dudeglove said:
" @Aleryn said:
" Oh, I never noticed Bomb is adless.  Huh.    Ads'd be okay.  Just offer premium account for $$$ to turn em off, and some cool perks. "
Outside of the states I think it's ad-free. It is for me, at least.I think everyone got the ODST ads on the vids, though. "
I'm in Canada and I've seen a few ads.
seanvail99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By seanvail99

I'm Canadian and have never seen an ad before a video.  

I'm happy to hear they're making the next step towards serious ad sales. Bottom line: they need to generate revenue to stay alive. Up until it's been all about building a community and a fanbase which is great, but they need to take the next step.  I feel pretty confident that the guys recognize the difference between obnoxious and intrusive crap, and tasteful ads that are relevant to the user base. 

Lemoncookie01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Lemoncookie01

I'm fine with Ads,just don't over do it.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#37  Edited By BabyChooChoo
@ChickenPants said:
" They can plaster every inch of the website with ads for all I care. Even before videos if they want.  The guys provide me with so much entertainment I have no problem with ads if I know it keeps food on their tables. "
Couldn't have said it better myself.
Nephrahim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Nephrahim

It's add free everywhere. 

And can SOMEONE link the post you guys are all talking about?

jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By jeffgoldblum
@Gearhead said:
" All I hope is that I don't have to watch a thirty second ad before every video, like what happened to me before ODST launched. "
Those ads were 7 seconds long. Calm down.
jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By jeffgoldblum
@dudeglove said:
" @Aleryn said:
Nope it's ads free in the states as well. At least for now.
Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#41  Edited By Gabriel
@EpicSteve said:
" @Blitzer said:
" @EpicSteve said:
" @Blitzer said:
Who would choose to and why? Besides the staff has come out and spoken against this method of getting money from us. T-Shirts and occasional ads seem to be their model. "
Agreed, if they have to run ads and stuff so be it, but I don't think people realize how stupid they sound wanting to pay an subscription to access a once free website. That's the problem with stuff like  DLC people think that publishers (like Capcom) need to charge for unlock codes and cut stuff out of the original game and sell it for DLC *cough Assassins Creed II* to stay in business.  Tangent aside I don't have a problem with ads but a subscription is dumb.
Blitzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Blitzer
@SamDrugbringer:  I've added the link in the first post.
Rayeth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Rayeth

Ads that have been on GB in the past were not a problem and I doubt any in the future will be either.   It sounds like the team is very concerned about the type of advertising they allow, and as long as they are conscientious about keeping the ad placement tasteful and the ads themselves are not obnoxious then I am satisfied to see some products that I might enjoy from time to time.

I generally run an Adblocker because frankly most sites on the interenet don't deserve my money for the rubbish they put out.  I set it to disable itself on some sites because I value the content they provide and want the people behind them to earn rewards for that.  Giantbomb proved itself long ago for me, with unobtrusive ads, great content, and an active community.  

starrjack1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By starrjack1

If you want to pay to get rid of ads, I'm find by that, but as soon as I can't get content without subscribing is when I stop using this site.

time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By time allen

i'm sure they already have a plethora of ideas, but they do need some sort of outside monetary flow. ads before videos don't really bother me, and neither would banners or ad boxes etc. 
Everybody needs to get money from somewhere.

bhhawks78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By bhhawks78

Since GB launched the only entertainment I've enjoyed as much as the endurance run/bombcast is Mass Effect 2 and The Wire.  No other TV show/website/game/movie was as good.  If I knew the money was going directly to the people making the site I'd buy anything.

damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#48  Edited By damnboyadvance

I wouldn't mind a premium service, as long as the rate was fair. Maybe something like private forums for those who pay, or a forum where you can ask the Giant Bomb crew any of your questions.

Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Xeiphyer

They could just do ads and premium service which is cool. 

As for the premium perks... How about the ability to use coloured text in the forums? Forum users wouldn't mind that I'm sure. And the ability to live edit the DB if you don't already have it would be good. (Unlocking the ability to do all the stuff that you need higher pts for as well, like changing a pages default image and stuff)

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By iam3green

what i have said in another thread, i want to see what they did for dragon age. they had the community photoshop mid evil timeish type of photos for dragon age. i would not mind seeing jeff playing kinect  or something from someone photoshopping it.