• 51 results
wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

Edited By wrighteous86

As you may have seen in yesterday's mailbag, @duskvamp and I, after meeting on Giant Bomb and dating internationally for 3 years, are moving in together and getting engaged. A lot of the GB forum frequenters already know our story, so I'll cut out the details and just share how involved the staff has been in our relationship.

We met at the start of 2011, and began talking seriously about dating that summer. Before I met Dawn for the first time in February 2012, I asked for the GB crew to maybe send me a brief video clip saying Happy Valentine's Day or something for her. As they usually do when provided the opportunity to do something fun and dumb, they went above and beyond. Dave, Drew, and Vinny took the lead and sent me this song:

Valentine's Dave and the Duders - Love Blooms on a Giant Bomb

I spent a few weeks in England and Wales with her, and we celebrated Valentine's Day together. DuskVamp wrote a blog about it.

Obviously, things went well, and we really appreciated how much effort they put into something so trivial. We rewarded them in pizza:

You can see Dave talk around what they did for us, and Vinny get real uncomfortable that he was going to discuss it publicly, probably worried they'd get more requests. Since it's been a long time, Dave's gone, and Vinny and the staff are in different offices and different situations now, I figured it's safe to share.

That summer, it was her turn to visit, and we spent the whole Summer together in Chicago. Again, a blog described our adventures.

We went back and forth like this the following year as well. February 2013 I spent in Wales and Spain with DuskVamp, and last summer she spent with me and we went on a cross-country roadtrip from Chicago to San Francisco. Along the way, we stopped at the Rocky Mountains, the Grand Canyon, Old Faithful, Las Vegas, Mount Rushmore, Yosemite National Park, Yellowstone National Park, and finally San Francisco for the 4th of July. We had set up plans to stop by and visit the crew, see the offices, and drop off a mailbag while we were in town... but literally the day we arrived, tragedy struck Giant Bomb. As you all likely know, that's when we lost Ryan Davis. Rorie apologized that we were probably unable to visit the offices, and that they didn't know what they'd be doing the whole week. We understood completely and started making plans to see other sites. That night we had dinner and watched TANG together. In the end, the staff decided to meet up and record a memorial Bombcast. Since they were in the office, they invited us to stop by afterwords, which we begrudgingly accepted. While we waited for them to finish recording, we got food and bought some flowers for the office. You can actually hear Rorie receiving texts from me at some point in the podcast. It was really uncomfortable having to meet all of the crew literally minutes after they ended that podcast. We actually met Vinny, Brad, and Jeff in the podcast recording studio, they hadn't even left the room. Seeing how they looked after recording the toughest podcast of their lives was really upsetting, but I think having us come in was a welcome distraction and a way to segue back into their daily lives. They all treated us graciously, and discussed the site and our relationship, and we wound up going for drinks with Rorie at a nearby bar for a short time, with Drew and Brad stopping by on their way home. The timing could have been better, and it was horrible to experience things the way we did right after Ryan's passing, but it was a meaningful milestone in our relationship to see the company that helped us get together. They opened our mailbag the next day, and you can see our flowers alongside the dozens of others that came in from game companies in town.

Finally, just last month I went to Italy with DuskVamp, and finally proposed. We both knew it was inevitable, and we had found someone we were completely comfortable with and wanted to spend the rest of our lives with. It's still maddening to think that I met the love of my life on a video game website, on the first forums I ever interacted with (mainly because I was unemployed at the time and desperate for distractions). In the time since, we've dabbled in creating relationship podcasts, played tons of games, watched a lot of Netflix and Quick Looks, and we've seen the world together. We're just about to close on a condo together, her Green Card is basically sorted, and we're looking around for a cat to name Vinny...

Giant Bomb has changed. We've changed. But this website will always be an important foundation of our relationship, as odd as that is. It's not a traditional story, but it's ours, and I like it just fine.

Thanks for reading, and feel free to share your Giant Bomb Social Links in the comments. I'd like to hear more stories like mine!

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

Congrats on the engagement and thanks for sharing. May your S-Link continue to grow and prosper.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

Did you max any other Links?

RTSlord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

Congrats you too! I totally cheered when i saw the latest mailbag

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Only Mysterious Fox. I didn't have the courage for the rest.

rmanthorp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By rmanthorp  Moderator

Woooo! Congrats :D

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

@video_game_king said:

Only Mysterious Fox. I didn't have the courage for the rest.

Izanami is gonna tear you to pieces.

irrelevantjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

Congrats you two! Thanks for sharing your relationship stories on GB, they are one of the things that were different from the rest of the forums. Hopefully you guys will still stick around GB even when it's busy. Keep us updated!

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By wrighteous86

In the song, they mention a photoshop contest, which is what kicked off PMs between DuskVamp and I, which lead to us getting to know each other and falling in love.

I have found it. In it, you can see where almost all of my Giant Bomb related pics have come from, where my "About Me" came from (thanks @sparklykiss!), and see the first tentative in-forum flirting between Dusk and I before we really knew each other. Check it out to see her shoddy photoshop skills and how I awkwardly and passively force a "you're cute" comment innocuously into the conversation!

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#10  Edited By StarvingGamer
No Caption Provided

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

;_; ;_; ;_;

NegativeCero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By NegativeCero

Absolutely amazing story. Congratulations to you both.

Grillbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

when i saw the latest mailbag. i remembered who you were. and i wanted to find you and say congratz but i could only remember your profile pic. so here i am now. congratz to both of you. all the best to ya

von_wemberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

jay_ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By jay_ray
No Caption Provided

Congrats duder and dudette!

rusalkagirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Drew singing reminds me of a not-shitty Conor Obsert or something.

Anyway, congratulations! As a lady who also met her duder on the Internet about four years ago now, it's nice to hear a story like this. So thank you, and good luck on all future endeavors.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

That song was pretty awesome, and it just keeps going and going. Those guys are ... the bomb (this one is for you Drew)

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

It's still maddening to think that I met the love of my life on a video game website, on the first forums I ever interacted with

http://i.imgur.com/FCEYI.gif

DeadpanCakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By DeadpanCakes

I get emotional way too damn easily... or maybe it was that song -- that song was damn good.

Congrats and good luck to the both of you.

Edit: Oh right, I forgot to make a Persona reference which is the reason I clicked on this in the first place.

Umm uhh. It's fine that you didn't have the courage for the other relationships, she's the one relationship you needed to unlock your True Ending.. not my best work..

zoozilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

Congratulations, duders.

What did you think of Wales?

I've been debating whether or not to go to Cardiff or something while I'm in the UK.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By fattony12000

Love...

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

...has bloomed!

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By wrighteous86

@zoozilla said: Congratulations, duders.

What did you think of Wales?

I've been debating whether or not to go to Cardiff or something while I'm in the UK.

It's a really nice place to live, but as a tourist, there's not too much. A few pretty cool castles, and Dr. Who stuff if you're into that.

If you can't find any other castles you want to check out in another country you'll definitely be in, Cardiff's got a good one right in the center of town. And if you're a Whovian, the Dr. Who museum is probably sweet. It's only like a 3 hour drive from London, too.

One day would be enough. Maybe two.

Jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

Congrats

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#24  Edited By FinalDasa  Moderator

I totally remember an older post about how you two met and dated. Incredible that you're still together :) Congrats!

Monkeyman04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

Congrats guys!

I hope you two have happiness together for decades to come!

Niceanims

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Congratulations!

duskvamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By duskvamp

My cheeks ache after listening to that song again, I had the biggest smile on my face through the whole thing! Thanks @drewbert, @vinny and @snide (if you still come by here) again, it was so unexpected, but amazing :) Is it weird that I actually find that song "romantic"?

Thanks to everyone for your support :) next step, me moving to the US! Scary times!

duskvamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zoozilla: @wrighteous86: Hey, way to downplay Cardiff! "but as a tourist, there's not too much. A few pretty cool castles, and Dr. Who stuff" who doesn't love castles and Dr Who? Plus we have dragons!

YoThatLimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man, I thought I recognized your display pic, I think we know a mutual friend on facebook, I'm from the EP area.

Congrats on the engagement and good luck with immigration! It is easier than it looks!

chrjz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By chrjz

Maybe it's because I just went through a break up but I am unbelievably jealous.

Good job, you are very lucky.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 66

I am listening to the song they sent you and am dying right now. It's so good. Super duper congrats on you two getting engaged!

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By wrighteous86

@yothatlimp: We went to the same high school, huh? Small world. That's cool.

@duskvamp: True, and don't forget all of the leeks and sheep that Wales is so proud of. Truly the #1 tourist destination of the new millennium.

bboymaestro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

But do you guys awkward arm hug? It's not Max S. Link unless you awkward arm hug. Haha, congrats, you two!

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#35 jeanluc  Staff

It's stories like this that make me so happy to be apart of this community. Congratulations you guys!

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow, that's just beautiful. Congrats to you both. :D

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By wrighteous86

Our first interaction, that started it all. I gave her advice on a gaming mouse, and mocked a creeper, @cmdrsheppard, that was flirting with her. That guy went too far and started PMming her with her first name, and she asked me if her name was obvious through her GB account or Twitter. That creepy internet stalker sparked our relationship. I just thank god that I made fun of him before @jasonr86, otherwise she would've asked him to be her internet sleuth and they'd be engaged right about now.

Also, crazy that my sort-of internet buddy JasonR86 was involved in that thread too. Small forum.

EDIT: And she bought the mouse I recommended. I played Hotline Miami on her computer with it when I visited last month. ProTip guys: bitches love Razers.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

Avatar image for deactivated-60321b0e394b7
deactivated-60321b0e394b7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

This story is amazing. Congratulations to both of you!

extintor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

congratulations to you both ! :D

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#41 sweep  Moderator

You unlocked the good ending.

Congrats both!

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

living the dream folks, much congrats and best wishes to you both!

Brake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Your Persona has been reborn as Luchadeer. Now go fight monsters.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

This proves again that Giant Bomb leads to intimacy.

cookiemonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

JESUS CHRIST that song is amazing.

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

We done did it.

Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wrighteous86: Possibly one of the best necro threads ever. Congratulations.

Avatar image for deactivated-629ec706f0783
deactivated-629ec706f0783

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Congrats to both of you! And congrats for the best necro in GB history :D

tnecniv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By tnecniv

Congrats!

Btw, is there a backup of that song? The original dropbox link seems busted. EDIT: It is working now

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 45

Congratulations you two! I wish you both happiness!