Giant Bomb on kindle size won't go mobile sized

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

I'm not sure if every tablet owner has this problem but I can't get GB to go into mobile size on this kindle. It stays in a really tiny desktop view. Is there any way to force mobile view? I wish there was a m.giantbomb.com that would work.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

A Kindle Fire, presumably? Which model?

I think the Giant Bomb duders intentionally force the full desktop view when an Android-based tablet is detected. Because that's what they assume you want. An additional layout designed for 7-ish" devices would be better, but that would take time to design and implement.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#3  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

Giant Bomb is built as a responsive site, so it's all based on the viewport width. GB uses the largely standardized 768px as its collapse point where the "mobile layout" kicks in.

If you have the most recent Kindle Fire 8.9", it looks like the viewport width is 800px, so you're going to see the non-collapsed desktop/tablet layout.

Given all of the issues Giant Bomb has on tablets though, it might be worth investing some time into doing a little additional design work for devices in the 768px-992px tablet range, but I doubt that time is going to be budgeted for that any time soon.

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@chaser324:

It's just too bad that the site forces you to pinch zoom because everything is so small. Hopefully they'll add a forced mobile option at somepoint because it's just too annoying otherwise.

@lordandrew: It does it with both the 1st gen Kindle Fire and the HDX model. The web browser has an option in it to request mobile versions of sites but it doesn't work for GB.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

@jams: It doesn't work because the site is responsive. All that option does is change your user agent. Giant Bomb relies primarily on viewport size, which is much harder to fake.

Moving away from responsive would be bad. A better option would be designing a third layout.

The Giant Bomb app I'm working on is responsive. I am targetting the three main size buckets: phones, 7-inch tablets, and 10-inch tablets. Even portrait vs. landscape is given consideration. PM me if interested.