#51 Posted by mere_immortal (25 posts) -

@dk3691 said:

@mere_immortal I'm no expert (I think I've only built like 2 or 3 Gundams in my life), but I will say that it's worth shelling out the extra 10-20 bucks for a Master Grade kit (over a High Grade). I found the High Grade kit to feel sorta cheap, and tough to pose. Master Grade is also bigger so it's less fumbly to build. In terms of specific kit - just browse around and pick one that looks cool! There are a lot.

Good info! Was wondering about the HG/MG stuff and how different they were, will look at the MG stuff!

#52 Edited by DystopiaX (5802 posts) -

Love that this thread exists, now, haven't built a gunpla in a couple months but Austin's video got me to buy the RG 00 Raiser, which should be here in a couple days. I've built just over a dozen kits in the past 2 years or so, mostly RGs, couple HGs, couple MGs. My favorites that I've built to date are the Hi-Nu ver. ka and the Sazabi ver. ka. Non gundam related by Kutobukiya has some metal gear kits that look kinda cool and I might get eventually...

@mere_immortal said:

Ok so I know nothing about Gundam but I do like cool robots and model kits. What would you guys suggest for a first kit? I'm a relatively experienced with modelling and painting so would prefer something decently complex. I'm in the UK if that matters for availability.

My advice for "which kit" is always just to pick one that you think looks dope and build that. it's a lot more fun to just build kits you like. I will say the kits get better over time though, in terms of quality/articulation/"gimmicks", and also cause the quality of the plastic itself has changed (not sure if it's cause it ages or cause they used more brittle plastic in the past), so you'd probably be better off picking up a more recent kit than an older kit.

In terms of grades, in terms of build quality/comlexity it goes higher quality MG->RG->standard MG->HG. My higher/lower quality I just mean there's a huge difference between the more complex MG 1/100 kits (Sazabi ver ka, Nu Gundam, Hi-Nu gundam, and the more "standard" MG kits (any of the RX-78-2 gundams, Zaku IIs, etc.). RGs are 1/144 like HGs but are MG-like in terms of build quality/complexity- more moving parts, more panel lines, more part details, etc. A lot of people actually like them the best because of how much detail is packed into a kit of small size. I excluded PGs from my comparison for a couple reasons- one because I don't think spending 150-300 dollars on a model kit is a good idea if you're just starting to build gunpla, and also because PGs vary wildly in quality due to when they were made and stuff- a lot of people consider the later iterations of MG RX-78-2s to be better than the PG versions, again because build design has gotten better, and some kits like the PG Wing Zero can't really stand up at all, whereas the RG Wing Zero came out last year and is fantastic. Since you have experience with modeling and painting I think you should go RG/MG, a lot of people find gunpla easier than plane/boat models or whatever and I think HG might be a bit too simple for someone with experience. And personally, once you get into RGs/MGs HGs are kinda disappointing in comparison both in terms of how easy they are to build and how they lack detail relative to RG/MG kits.

If you want reviews of kits, I personally like Gaijin-gunpla.com, it's a site run by a guy who works for hlj.com, which is one of the best sites to buy gunpla from. Pretty good in-depth reviews of almost every model kit that's come out in the past couple years. If you don't know gundam at all and don't know what robot you'd like to build, I recommend clicking on "kit reviews" on his site and looking at the top couple of models for each grade. I also like going to youtube and just typing in the name of the kit that I'm thinking about getting, there are more than a few youtubers who break down the kit quality in detail.

Since you're in the UK I'm not sure what your best option is, typically in the US at least you want to buy online because it's much cheaper than going to your local hobby shop. I always go to amazon cause I have prime and with free shipping it's by far the cheapest for me, but there are several hobby retailers that I know are popular with others. I haven't bought from any of these site personally, but hlj.com and banzaihobby.com seem to have good reviews from fans and are quite popular, so you might want to check there as well as amazon.

#53 Edited by Epidehl (689 posts) -
Gallery image 1Gallery image 2Gallery image 3Gallery image 4Gallery image 5Gallery image 6Gallery image 7Gallery image 8
Desk of Char, Assorted Favs, brand new G-Self 1/144, Gato's Mechs, Kamen Rider W, and the king of all MGs: THE O

Oh man, where to even start with these. Back around oh... 2009-2011 I got DEEP into Gundam models. Like, instead of spending money on anything else, Gundam models. Gifts for Christmas? Gundam models. Sadly, many of these (literally dozens) are now in boxes in a closet as I ran out of room, but the ones that are out I still really love. I also have a fucking PERFECT GRADE DOM somewhere that I've never built. The lighting is intimidating, to say the least.

That Char desk is one of my dumbest/proudest things.

(Apologies as I also just realized the camera on my tablet SUUUUCKS)

#54 Edited by DystopiaX (5802 posts) -

Can anyone recomend a good youtube channel where it really just a "build team" like what Austin was doing in the video? I found a couple, but they weren't really what I was looking for...

they do news roundups and other hobby stuff as well but the hobbylink.tv channel on youtube does this sometimes. It's the youtube channel of the hlj.com storefront, so most often these builds will be of new/large kits just as or even a couple days before they come out. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLha857mOyya6aVr_pZlqvr4hW6t_0rkiG is the playlist for them building the 1/60 Perfect Grade version of the Unicorn Gundam. If you dig through the videos on that channel they've also done a couple other builds.

#55 Edited by Akyho (2130 posts) -

@zombiepie: Oh hey yeah I would be down with that, however the threads name should be "Giant Bomb's Gunpla Build Club" since it's more inclusive to more than just gundam models since we can then not only have Star wars stuff, we get Zoids and also get to include all sorts of kits like Jehuty and Metal Gear Rex!

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

@daveyo520: That kit will take you about four hours and is a good build even if its the only kit you ever make it won't take you long. Some people have even said they have built kits with nail clippers and just some sanding paper if they did not or could not buy a proper tool set which is just a pair of nippers and a metal file, with a hobby craft knife on standby for when you need it.

@kevinwalsh: A high rest photo of the logo would a good thing to get it once this thread become the "official gunpla" thread to throw up on the first post.

@triphos: I would maybe advise holding off until the whole line is out as this one has many many many variations of the same kit and that's not a bad thing however you may be able to chose more precisely what you want once it finished or closer to the end since man oh man can I myself not chose what to get with so many newer and cooler versions of the Graze being thrown at me!

@reddenblack: I think this might be the better of what you're looking for and if not then I am not sure it even exist. This is Hobby Link Japan which is the same website many people buy from they also do their own youtube channel which has hour longs videos of them talking about the upcoming releases to their store (alot of Gunpla) and also on occasion full unedited builds like this one which is a build of a new kit just released. Since they do a weekly show type thing they have more engagment than some random builder on youtube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-y_JUFS53XM

@mere_immortal: Firstly the kind of kit I would think you're after is Master Grades as they are more involved plenty of features, and you would feel very satisfied with it as HG's (which I only build so far) are relatively simple and easily built in 4 to 6 hours. While an MG is quoted to take 10 to 14 hours on average depends on how you got about it. Some people crank Hg's out in an hour and other folks crank out MG's in two.

I am a UK buyer and I can go on and on about what to watch for when buying Gunpla and getting caught by shipping imported kits from Japan. So VAT/Custom charge does not come into play with purchases under £15 then you will get the 20% VAT. However if it is marked Gift then the threshold is £40, two places I buy from seem to always mark as GIFT (which actually is illegal.) BanzaiHobby.com and Toyshop Hobbyone on Amazon, I must add that shipping is also stated on the box and those can be added onto your total nudging you over. Banzaihobby actually goes a step further...they list the item as 100 yen Toy parts, 100 yen is less than a pound.

HOWEVER you can go the simpler route (slightly more expensive) and buy from INSIDE THE UK! http://japan-cool.co.uk/ are a place in Leeds which if your close you could even drive to it and pick up your kits youve order. The prices work out with normal shipping and VAT while I import to avoid a lot of the extra charges yet pay in time as it can take 3 weeks to 3 months for kits to arrive. Overall in the end since I think you would be going MG this works out more cost effective anyways as I am not a bulk buyer and not often getting too large a kit which might up shipping more and maybe risk getting hit with custom charges, the full horror story if processed properly and you get custom charges for importing which is VAT for 20% more to pay and since they had to hold it for you there is an extra admin charge...which a courier (parcelforce) then picks up the package for you if you chose tracked shipping (already more expensive) which they pay the admin charge and custom charge then also asks "Well since we paid this for you...you owe us Admin fee." so you then have to pay them even more money and then once you do it's another three days or so before its delivered and if you want it delivered on a weekend its an extra charge.

I had a £40 shipping of two kits with tracked quick shipping turn into £70 odd due to how badly I did it.

#56 Posted by brettchalupa (54 posts) -
Gallery image 1Gallery image 2Gallery image 3

The GOTY gunpla section definitely reminded me of the summer I tried gunpla before leaving for college. I never finished the larger RX-78-2, but I did enjoy what I built of it. That Exia was fun, but simpler. I can't remember the grades of each kit, but it was fun building them and using the markers to add details. I was never much into building as a kid, but I sure do think they look cool.

#57 Posted by MerxWorx01 (824 posts) -

@mechamaestro: Hey I have the same Quebeley. Not a fan of all the boxy looking mechs but the Quebeley really stood out and I ended up getting him. I just posed him and put model marker on him. That was the beginning and the end of my Gundam Model kits but Austin's build club and the nice looking Quebeley the other guy posted looks hard to resist.

#58 Posted by Zeronfulus (2 posts) -

Damn....I may actually need to dig into my backlog now. I've been sitting on 6 models for a year + now. That RX-0 Full Armor Unicorn Ver. Ka is calling me. MG Epyon may beat it out though...

#59 Posted by DystopiaX (5802 posts) -

@mechamaestro: Hey I have the same Quebeley. Not a fan of all the boxy looking mechs but the Quebeley really stood out and I ended up getting him. I just posed him and put model marker on him. That was the beginning and the end of my Gundam Model kits but Austin's build club and the nice looking Quebeley the other guy posted looks hard to resist.

Don't like the original Qubeley but the modified version that appeared in Gundam Build Fighters is pretty sweet: http://gundam.wikia.com/wiki/NMX-004_Qubeley_Papillon

No Caption Provided

#60 Posted by MerxWorx01 (824 posts) -

@dystopiax: I was actually just looking at that on Amazon. Also some of the Iron Blooded Orphan Models that look like they are from the Zone of the Enders looks pretty nice too. They make a nice razor sharp looking silhouette. I just saw this Mark II and its ostentatious as hell. Right my alley.

No Caption Provided

Know of any other places that sell aside from Amazon?

#61 Posted by DystopiaX (5802 posts) -

@merxworx01: As mentioned elsewhere on here, places like banzaihobby.com, hlj.com, and hobbysearch http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/ are perhaps the most popular online retailers to go to. If you're in the US, Hobbytown USA has them, though apparently how much they have and their prices actually vary a lot by location and ordering online seems to mostly be cheaper. I only go to Amazon though, because with free prime shipping buying from them is often the cheapest for me. hlj.com has a warehouse system where you can buy multiple models and then have them set them aside for you in their warehouse, so that you can elect when to ship them. It lets them ship them all in one huge package, which might save you on shipping costs enough to make it cheaper than amazon, but only if you buy 5-10 models at a time, which I'm not really into doing.

I agree, I think the Barbatos and Graze from IBO both look sick. Under a similar "over the top" vein, the line of models from gundam thunderbolt take your zakus and rx-78-2s and make them over the top:

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

Bandai have also confirmed that they're making a RE 1/100 version of the Kshatriya, which is in early planning right now and will probably only come out in like..2 years, but that has me ridiculously excited as well, that things gonna be huge.

#62 Posted by retrovirus (1665 posts) -

I started building Gunpla during my senior year of college as a stress-relieving activity between midterms, and it stuck! Also, I made friends with another gunpla builder last year, so we've had a lot of fun building together and watching Iron-Blooded Orphans. I've got the Astray Blue Frame D coming sometime in January and the Super Fumina too, but here's the most recent picture I have of my collection so far:

No Caption Provided

#63 Posted by ripelivejam (13136 posts) -

i had a msz-006 zeta perfect grade that i lost an already built arm and leg of during a move a long time ago. feel really guilty of it as it was a pretty awesome xmas gift and have been tempted to buy it again, but the cheapest it appears to be currently is on ebay for $200 USD plus $77 shipping. :( (yes i know i'm a complete idiot).

it's probably for the best as i started assembling it w/o painting it but i don't know the first thing about painting anyway. probably wouldn't have done it justice.

did get this one a little while back http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0010LAJ3G?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00 and assemble it and it's currently in sort of a heap at my work.

#64 Posted by DystopiaX (5802 posts) -

@retrovirus: when I saw the astray blue frame d...I got the red frame kai instead, cause I needed that bigass sword and it came with katanas too, though all the combining sword action on the blue frame D is dumb in the best way.

Plus I can never complain when the model comes with a stand instead of making you buy one.

#65 Edited by PebbleInSpace (46 posts) -

Only started with gunpla this month after finally watching the original 79 series in november. Finished an HG Barbatos, and MG Deathscythe and RX-78-2 v3.0 so far. Panel lines, decals and matte top coat only for now:

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

I am most pleased with the way the RX-78-2 turned out. Also have a MG The Origin version of the RX-78-02 assembled and waiting for the panel lines, decals etc:

No Caption Provided

#66 Posted by DystopiaX (5802 posts) -

@ripelivejam: keep an eye on banzaihobby.com, they don't always have it in stock but have it listed for 125 USD+shipping. Whenever they get it seems to be dependent on availability, as Bandai only occasionally re-release old gundams, but they seem to always get a good supply. They do go fast though since there are other people waiting to get the PGs. And ofc sometimes random people on amazon/ebay will have them for cheap, but those usually get sniped as well.

#67 Edited by Einer51 (9 posts) -

Excited for this group! I've built about 25 from the 00 series, a Zaku Gouf Dom from Seed, and got started in 98' or so with a 144 Epyon.

Next build will be the Garrazzo.

http://www.1999.co.jp/itbig08/10089902a.jpg

I'm new to the forums on GB, how are you guys displaying images on posts?

Avatar image for thelastgunslinger
#68 Posted by thelastgunslinger (591 posts) -

Austin's secret plan to fill Giantbomb with anime is slowly coming to fruition.

I'm not a big anime person but I do like cool looking robots, are basic kits terribly hard to build?

#69 Edited by Einer51 (9 posts) -

@thelastgunslinger: For starting out, I'd reccomend a 1/144 HG model and see how you like it. Not an overwhelming number of parts and pretty easy to follow instructions and build. You will just want a pair of hobby snippers (sold at Michaels or other craft stores) and a razor blade to gently cut off excess material from snips.

#70 Posted by Jesus_Phish (3802 posts) -

I've about 11 HGs, 1 MG and two Ver Ka variants built with a few kpre in boxes. I'll get some pictures up later. Some friends and I have been putting together a rule set for our own build fighters game too.

I don't watch the animes because I've no time for them and there's just so many. I buy the models I like the look of.

Avatar image for thelastgunslinger
#71 Posted by thelastgunslinger (591 posts) -

@einer51 said:

@thelastgunslinger: For starting out, I'd reccomend a 1/144 HG model and see how you like it. Not an overwhelming number of parts and pretty easy to follow instructions and build. You will just want a pair of hobby snippers (sold at Michaels or other craft stores) and a razor blade to gently cut off excess material from snips.

Thanks for the tips!

#72 Edited by Akyho (2130 posts) -

@einer51: There is an image button above ^^^ click it paste in the link and it will load up for you.

I do believe I am going to be motivated enough sometime this week to start on my Aizu Gundam....unless I get indecisive and go for Advanced Hazel.... can I take a vote on what to build first?

Aizu (1.5) Gundam? (left) Or Gundam Advanced Hazel? (Right)

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

#73 Posted by Daveyo520 (7766 posts) -

@akyho: I have always been afraid of having to paint anything.

#74 Posted by Akyho (2130 posts) -

@daveyo520: Oh no need to, I do not. I hate paint I generally hate gluing kits and why I am so happy with Gundam kits. All you need to do is just cut them off and snap fit them together and your done. No paint and generally 0 need for glue. Your kit will come in all colours needed and all stickers needed and if you want to go that extra little bit gundam markers ( felt pens to outlines features.) painting is a huge thing later if you decided. However myself and many many many other people just build the kit and thats it.

#75 Posted by Daveyo520 (7766 posts) -

@akyho: I do have gundam markers somewhere too if I can find them.

#76 Posted by rpwll (108 posts) -

Ah man I'm so here for this. I ordered a HG Shining Gundam as my first kit within minutes of seeing that GOTY video, so I'll be putting that together next week. I'm super fortunate to work just around the corner from a hobby store (HobbyCo for the Sydney folks) so I was going to go in there Monday to pick up the required tools. I should be fine with just a pair of side cutters and a hobby knife right?

#77 Posted by ichthy (1359 posts) -

For people that aren't into painting their kits, I still suggest buying some flat top coat. It's super easy to apply and will give kits a nice matte finish. Also if anyone wants a nice starter kit, personally I find the Build Burning line from Build Fighters to be one of the nicer HG kits. Comes with tons of clear effect parts and is super posable.

No Caption Provided

#78 Edited by lKennedyl (147 posts) -

back in October I got in to this whole gunpla thing

it got a little out of hand

Gallery image 1Gallery image 2Gallery image 3Gallery image 4Gallery image 5
hello i have poor impulse control
hello i have poor impulse control

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

#79 Edited by Skyrider (466 posts) -

@atomicoldman: Nice, I have a Boba Fett on order that should arrive sometime in January. Can't wait to get started on it.

Digging through my old Gunpla has me itching to get back into it, especially after rewatching Gundam Wing (which was kind of hot garbage) and finally watching Mobile Suit Gundam (which was great). I've been keen on getting a MG Guncannon and MG RX-78-2 ever since.

I've also been toying with the idea of making some action figures from scratch (maybe 1/18 scale for that old GI Joe feel). I've never tried it before, but after finding out you can get joint packs from HLJ and seeing how cheap Milliput and Instamorph are, I might give it a go. Not quite Gupla or model kit making, but I figure that fits the spirit of a Build Club.

#80 Posted by MonkeyKing1969 (7514 posts) -
No Caption Provided

I made this...does it count?

#81 Posted by LCom (111 posts) -

I haven't actually built anything in a while, but that's more from a lack of money and nearby stores that stock kits (just more fun to me than researching and buying online). But I guess I did a bunch in the past:

No Caption Provided

Also space. Running out of space for everything, so can't help but get a bit of that figure shelf below too.

That back row is all my favorites: Ball, Epyon, Master Grade Char Zaku II, Alteisen, Master Grade Wing Gundam Custom. (In fact, that Ball was my reference material for the Ball mod I made for SkyRogue.) Also there's an Armored Core hiding in there, would love to get more of those, and front and center is I guess a garage kit, but it's just all the remaining non-broken pieces from the first couple I ever got (all Wing series).

Actually, I should try and pull them down and get close up shots of at least my favorites. I already need to take them down to clean them, so I could do both at once.

#82 Edited by Einer51 (9 posts) -

@rpwll: Some snippers, a blade, and some patience is all you'll really need. Modern Kits are pretty color accurate without any painting and sturdy without glue.

A general PSA would be to be careful with pieces like thighs that can look identical but could be matched up improperly and be hard to separate.

If you do have pieces you need to separate, a razor blade can slip in a seam and wiggle pieces apart.

#83 Posted by astrofizzix (13 posts) -

Well, thanks to Austin, I think I'm ready to take the plunge into gunpla. With any luck, my Hi-Nu Ver. Ka and Deathscythe kits should arrive by Saturday. I'm looking forward to building them, since I had a blast with assembling the Metal Gear Rex model earlier this year.

#84 Posted by Devil240Z (5704 posts) -

My Guncannon kit should be showing up sometime today! I guess I know what my newyears plan is.

#85 Posted by Daveyo520 (7766 posts) -
No Caption Provided

Can anyone tell me what all of these symbols mean? I get the x2 and 180 but not the others.

#86 Posted by PufferFiz (1501 posts) -

Last gundam I did. 2015 and most of 2016 will probably be traditional models. I spend a lot of time on each model... which is a plus and a minus.

No Caption Provided

#87 Posted by TravisRex (819 posts) -

@epidehl: what's with all the yellow paint specks?

#88 Edited by Epidehl (689 posts) -

@travisrex: I think that's just the camera? I didn't notice until after I uploaded them but it seems my tablet REALLY doesn't like low light. At some point I'll try and get better pictures.

#89 Posted by BisonHero (11570 posts) -

No Caption Provided

Can anyone tell me what all of these symbols mean? I get the x2 and 180 but not the others.

That first symbol means that a guard has spotted you.

#90 Posted by austin_walker (561 posts) -

Just wanna say how much I love this thread~

#91 Posted by PufferFiz (1501 posts) -

@daveyo520:

first one is cation ie be careful

second is make x amount

Connect this part first

connect this part last

turn 180

this part is optional and can be replaced by the other listed part

The opposite side of the model will move the same way as this part.

#92 Posted by Einer51 (9 posts) -

@daveyo520: Aside from applying the correct decals, the symbols don't matter for your purposes. Just cut and build per the part numbers and you'll be fine. Just always make sure before you snap halves of a torso/arm/ect together, that all the interior pieces are in place.

#93 Posted by Devil240Z (5704 posts) -

Just wanna say how much I love this thread~

I hope that you might be inspired to do regular mech themed content. Gunpla/Mech Game QLs/Bombasticas. we have highly focused content like Alt+F1 and Powerbombcast we should have mechs too! Cause giant robots are awesome.

#94 Edited by Akyho (2130 posts) -

@austin_walker: No problem Austin I went deep into gunpla for the last year and half, only happy to share with others and get them in after your springboard segment.

@daveyo520 said:
No Caption Provided

Here is a little guide to those you can referance http://otakurevolution.com/storyimgs/gunpla/GuideIconGuide.jpg also here is a little guide on the instruction overall http://otakurevolution.com/content/laymans-gunpla-guide-zero-paint-construction-guide

#95 Posted by Devil240Z (5704 posts) -
ITS HERE!!!
ITS HERE!!!

#96 Posted by Daveyo520 (7766 posts) -
#97 Posted by Devil240Z (5704 posts) -

Holy shit guys! did you know there are armored core model kits!!!!

#98 Posted by Akyho (2130 posts) -

@devil240z: Word of warning Armoured core kits are very very finicky and large, a friend finished his white glint and it took him two months to build it and when he was building it some strong concentration. Not impossible for a newbie to do however it does require some extra effort and time to build, They do look cool.

No Caption Provided

#99 Edited by Devil240Z (5704 posts) -

@akyho: I want to get there at some point. I probably like armored core more than gundam. I really want that metal gear rex kit too.

#100 Edited by DystopiaX (5802 posts) -

@akyho said:

@austin_walker: No problem Austin I went deep into gunpla for the last year and half, only happy to share with others and get them in after your springboard segment.

@daveyo520 said:
No Caption Provided

Here is a little guide to those you can referance http://otakurevolution.com/storyimgs/gunpla/GuideIconGuide.jpg also here is a little guide on the instruction overall http://otakurevolution.com/content/laymans-gunpla-guide-zero-paint-construction-guide

also as a heads up, http://www.mech9.com/ will translate the color guides and instructions in a lot of kits. Some of the instructions will have a sentence or two of japanese text in some parts, that's not always completely necessary to understand but can help.