Giant Bomb's Gunpla Build Club

#101 Posted by ichthy (1369 posts) -

@devil240z: I built an AC kit as my first. Wouldn't advise it. AC kits are made by Kotobukiya, and the quality is a bit lower than Bandai kits. The plastic looks worse by itself and pieces don't fit together quite as well. The arms in particular have a tendency to not stay on as well. They're rad looking kits, but just require a bit more work.

#102 Posted by Devil240Z (5704 posts) -

@ichthy: well im not a total noob here. I've built a handful of gundam kits when I was a kid and I'm just getting back into it now. I just haven't looked into any of this stuff in a long time and didn't know any of that stuff was even out there. I mean I didn't even have Internet back then, I got gundam kits from a kiosk at the mall. Now they sell quad copters at the same spot.

#103 Posted by flasaltine (2546 posts) -

Hey GB anime fans! I wanted to know how to get into Gundam. I like mecha stuff like Gurren Lagann and Knights of Sidonia, and I want to build these models but I need to know which ones are cool so I want to watch the show but there are like a million series. Recently @austin_walker was talking about some stuff on the beastcast but I forget what it was, one of the shows was more about civilian gundam life or something.

#104 Edited by Akyho (2130 posts) -

@flasaltine: Sounds like Gundam 0080 War in the pocket. Set on a colony were Zeon soldiers have infiltrated to find out about the newest gundam. After that we follow a school kid on the colony dealing with the attack and later finding one of the zeon soldiers who escaped death.

That anime is a phenomenal character story still with some great action. The animation is one of the best.

Here is the trailer for it.

Loading Video...

I follow up on that I also heartily recommend the 6 part anime Orguss 02 which has very similar character designs and just as good animation and ontop of that it actually deals more with the civilian strife in a World War with Giant Mecha. To go further it is sent in a world that has been torn apart by not only war but dimensions, so its a medieval world that has had mecha thrusted upon them boosting them to a world war 1/2 era in technology resulting in a very very striking world to explore and boy do you explore it as you are mostly on the ground with the people of that inhabit this mixed up world.

There are ZERO trailers for it so I leave the intro.

Loading Video...

#105 Edited by Devil240Z (5704 posts) -

I want to get back into watching gundam but idk where to start. Ill probably just start from MSG. maybe the movies instead of the series.

STARTING MY GUNCANNON BUILD:

It was right side up when I uploaded it.
It was right side up when I uploaded it.

#106 Edited by Einer51 (9 posts) -

@flasaltine: If you want an easy series to get into, try Gundam 00. It has a decent story, lots of action, and plenty of unique mobile suits. Not perfection, but I think it gets moving quickly and I've gotten several non Gundam friends into the series with it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2WxDmJPrRuQ

It seems I don't see the image and video attachment options on mobile.

#107 Posted by Hayt (1686 posts) -

This thread just makes me wish you could get Battletech models in the same quality as Gundam ones. You'd think a big quality Mad Cat would exist but it all seems to be fan made.

#108 Edited by Akyho (2130 posts) -

@flasaltine: @devil240z: To both of you there is the main timeline of Gundam which is the original Gundam and a large amount of series, there is good stuff in it and most people come away with only watching a handful of that stuff.

Outside of that is many different series that has nothing to do with the original Gundam, think of them like alternate dimensions. I would say we should funnel you into one of those so you do have the pressure of trying to take on too much, however watching bits off the original gundam timeline is not a bad thing.

However I too also side with watch Gundam 00 as it's a modern series with great moments and action. The second season is a bit weak yet still worth a watch....the movie....it kinda trash. In the absolute most basic way to say this, 00 is actually a more action packed and less boring Gundam Wing...with character development. I've rewatched some Gundam Wing recently it's a slow burner and some terrible character motivation.

Or watch the current Iron Blooded Orphans as it is also great so far.

Its that or pick a series at random read a synopsis and see if you'd like it.

#109 Edited by Einer51 (9 posts) -

hobbywave.com and gundamstoreandmore.com are US based and sites I've enjoyed using in the past. Their primary issue will be items out of stock for older sets.

Hobbywave currently has a 15% off sitewide until Jan 3. Condolences to your wallet.

#110 Edited by atomicoldman (831 posts) -

@einer51: Gundamplanet.com and usagundamstore.com are also great US based sites for ordering gunpla. USA Gundam Store has a rather limited selection, but nice speedy shipping and decent costs. Gundam Planet is a bit more pricey but has a great selection. I buy most of my kits off Amazon, and usually through a vendor named Japan Hobby One. My packages typically arrive fast (as fast as they can with standard international shipping) and I've found that the best prices are there.

#111 Posted by flasaltine (2546 posts) -

@akyho:

So do any Gundam series have the characters turning super saiyan or is it more realistic?

#112 Posted by Devil240Z (5704 posts) -

@akyho:

So do any Gundam series have the characters turning super saiyan or is it more realistic?

doesn't that kind of thing happen in G Gundam?

#113 Posted by LtTibbles (157 posts) -

@devil240z: Yeah G Gundam is pretty much Street Fighter Gundams

#114 Edited by Epidehl (721 posts) -

@flasaltine: Typically, no. G Gundam, and honestly to some extent 00, kind of does. G Gundam is a super robot fighting tournament between countries featuring a character named Master Asia. If that sounds like something you could be into, you should watch G Gundam because it's really good at what it does. Otherwise, it's mostly giant robot WAR with all of the realism/non-realism inherent to that concept. Also some Empath stuff.

I've never really fell neatly onto either side of the "Real" vs. "Super". I enjoy the full-blown ridiculous of G, enjoy the more "grounded" 08th MS and 0080, but probably enjoy the weird middle ground that most of the main series take, especially later Zeta and Unicorn. Basically, don't listen to anybody who says "These shows are shit, etc." in reference to one style or the other. It's all different strokes.

#115 Posted by Einer51 (9 posts) -

Brought in the new year making the Garrazzo. This is your fault.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

#116 Edited by Yoshara (9 posts) -

Just finished building my Gundam Barbatos. Altogether it was a pretty fun and surprisingly easy build.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

#117 Posted by DystopiaX (5803 posts) -

@einer51: Gundamplanet.com and usagundamstore.com are also great US based sites for ordering gunpla. USA Gundam Store has a rather limited selection, but nice speedy shipping and decent costs. Gundam Planet is a bit more pricey but has a great selection. I buy most of my kits off Amazon, and usually through a vendor named Japan Hobby One. My packages typically arrive fast (as fast as they can with standard international shipping) and I've found that the best prices are there.

Worth noting that most kits will have prime shipping. Not always (since stock is small) but if you wait a week or two most kits will have at least one seller (including Japan Hobby One) fulfilled by Amazon, and so available with prime shipping. If you have prime I find that it's way cheaper than going elsewhere cause you don't have to pay for international shipping.

#118 Posted by DapperMan (114 posts) -

Have had a HG Barbatos sitting in the box for about a month to finally try my hand at Gunpla. Austin and the Build Club finally gave me the courage to make a go of it.

No Caption Provided

Reasonably happy with how it turned out, though I'll need to get better Sidecutters if I make a hobby out of it. As someone who really wasn't sold on the look of the Mobile Suits on Iron Blooded Orphans the actual model sold me on this look a lot.

Now to get the Gundams I really love like some MS Team or this beautiful son of a gun.

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
#119 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (3675 posts) -

If I still had my Tau Hunter Cadre I would post it.

#121 Edited by Daveyo520 (7766 posts) -

@austin_walker: Do you or Vinny have any pictures of your own models lying arotby any chance?

#122 Posted by BisonHero (11583 posts) -

Can someone give me the rich history of the Giant Bomb Build Club?

Specifically, from the Extra Life stream, I think I remember Austin saying that the previous roommate/tenant left some Gunpla stuff there, but I don't remember Austin mentioning much about doing it himself? So for anyone who knows Austin better from his prior jobs and his other podcasts and such, is this an occasional hobby of Austin's, or was this likely a case of Austin going out and buying the kit entirely for the GotY video?

#123 Posted by DystopiaX (5803 posts) -

@daveyo520: check vinnys extra life stream, he shows off his gunpla. Don't have a timestamp but it's towards the end

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
#124 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (3675 posts) -
#125 Posted by DystopiaX (5803 posts) -

kit I ordered right after Austin's build club video came in:

No Caption Provided

so thanks Austin...

seriously though, excited to build this guy.

#126 Posted by austin_walker (561 posts) -

@bisonhero: Hey! I used to build Gunpla back in my late teens/early 20s, have built a Tau army for WH40k, and over the last year, friends have been gifting me Gunpla and urging me to get back into it! This is the first gunpla I've built in like... eight or so years, probably!

#127 Posted by BisonHero (11583 posts) -

@austin_walker: I look forward to your WH40K premium feature with Vinny.

#128 Edited by Akyho (2130 posts) -

@austin_walker: Seems like all signs point to Gunpla...FOR GUNPLA IS FREEDOM!

No Caption Provided

Also I am waiting on new side cutters to arrive and new files SOME OF THEM ARE ROUND! So once I have those I will be more than happy to jump into my current kits after 6 months of being off them.

#129 Edited by Daveyo520 (7766 posts) -

@dystopiax: Actually I did see that I just wanted a closer look I guess and if he had more than he showed.

I finally finished it. I messed up here and there and need to paint some spots but overall I think it came out rather well. I think I will get a larger version of Wing next. (Wing is one of my favorite animes ever)

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

#130 Edited by atomicoldman (831 posts) -

@austin_walker: I was the same, built some kits when I was in my teens and then fell out of it. Granted, the quality of kits back then were real bad and I was disgruntled that I couldn't get them looking like the box. Finally decided to pick some up again in late 2014 figuring as a patient adult I could do better, and now I have like 15 of these things on my shelves and something like 12 more MG's unbuilt in my closet.

I've got a problem.

#131 Edited by ichthy (1369 posts) -

Newest addition finished up today. These newer HGs have such good colour separation. Can't wait until stores around here actually start stocking IBO kits.

No Caption Provided

Edit: Also just finished up my Kampfer. This has been a productive holiday break.

No Caption Provided

#132 Edited by petethepanda (388 posts) -

Just ordered a RX-78-2 and Char's Zaku II, both from "The Origin," 1/100 and 1/144 respectively. Haven't done one of these since high school, kind of excited.

#133 Edited by shikon (235 posts) -

I thought you guys would like to know that i just ordered my first Gunpla..

Austins video and this thread convinced me to get some!

they are from Iron blooded orphans.

a 1/144 HG Gundam Gussion

and a 1/144 HG Graze Costum

it will be a while before the arrive but once they are done i'll take some pics!

#134 Posted by Akyho (2130 posts) -

@daveyo520: Fantastic to see you build it!, if you like wing gundam check out wong gundam fenice and Gundam Fenice Renicita. I build the Renicita and loved it.

@shikon: Good to here! I do have to say that the IBO line is the most advanced of the HG level as they include a skeleton which befor was only reserved for 1/100 MGs and in recent years the 1/144 RG. They both still hold higher detail abd complex however IBO hg vs older hgs will be very diffrent. Hollow shells with connections and such.

Still good are older HGs so do not discount them.

#135 Posted by Daveyo520 (7766 posts) -

@akyho: Will do. Now I just need to look up these grades and what is better than what. Also I need to actually look at the scale because this was a lot smaller than I imagined lol

#136 Posted by calbags (154 posts) -

This thread is a bad place for me to be. I really want to get some of these but I only just kicked a really bad 40k habit, that Horus Hersey character series fucked up my wallet.

#137 Posted by ichthy (1369 posts) -

@calbags said:

This thread is a bad place for me to be. I really want to get some of these but I only just kicked a really bad 40k habit, that Horus Hersey character series fucked up my wallet.

Gunpla is relatively cheap to get into, and can range from $10 to $200 for a kit. Depending on the scale and grade, and how complicated you go with painting, it can take several hours to several months to finish. Warhammer seems like a completely different beast altogether, since there's that collection aspect to building a full army. With Gunpla most people just pick and choose the suits they like. I actually find it's a fairly cost effective hobby.

#138 Edited by calbags (154 posts) -

@ichthy said:
@calbags said:

Gunpla is relatively cheap to get into, and can range from $10 to $200 for a kit. Depending on the scale and grade, and how complicated you go with painting, it can take several hours to several months to finish. Warhammer seems like a completely different beast altogether, since there's that collection aspect to building a full army. With Gunpla most people just pick and choose the suits they like. I actually find it's a fairly cost effective hobby.

I got out of building full armies awhile ago and just focused on building and painting minis I though looked cool, which ended up being more expensive. I have been looking for something to model/build and there is a massive hobby store in town that sell gunplay so I might just stroll down tomorrow for a gander :D

#139 Posted by shikon (235 posts) -

@ichthy said:

Newest addition finished up today. These newer HGs have such good colour separation. Can't wait until stores around here actually start stocking IBO kits.

No Caption Provided

this is a sweet looking model!
what is his name?
and what show is it?

@akyho good to know i'm getting some quality stuff! the only reason i picked these is because its the Gundam show i am watching right now. once i build these and i like it i will look at some other models like the one i qouted above for example =p

#140 Posted by ichthy (1369 posts) -

@shikon: Jesta Cannon from Gundam Unicorn. Probably has my favourite collection of suits.

#141 Edited by Akyho (2130 posts) -

@daveyo520: The scale of your small kit HG 1/144 abd low skill the stage up is MG 1/100 which is the larger kind and medium skill. So it sounds like MG is what your after and they have way more features and details.

Oh a tip check out modern kit boxes and try to buy similar styles as you could see a cheap kit but its and old 96 kit when there is a more up to date version if the same unit.

#142 Posted by Daveyo520 (7766 posts) -

@akyho: Ok MG 1/100, got it. Thank you.

#143 Edited by Akyho (2130 posts) -

@daveyo520: I was posting from work on my mobile but here is a picture to show off Scale. This is good for anyone else.

No Caption Provided

You just built a 1/144 so you know its size price would be about $25/£15, MG is 1/100 very big size jump and not a large price jump (depends on kits) Est $60/£40 . Followed with 1/60 which is Perfect grade much much larger with much much more parts and details as well as a kits costing $150/£100 to $300/£250 odds. Then you have the 1/48! Oh man this is HUGE! Do not get me started on how hard this thing is....Ok its not hard,1/48s or known as Megas are very simple to construct and make up their place by just being large they are still expensive at like $100/£80.

Since you built a Wing Gundam kit you'll know its details and feature, to help you here is what the MG Wing Gundam Proto Zero looks like, just scroll and look at the pictures you will see the details and features involved which sound more your style.

http://www.collectiondx.com/toy_review/wing_gundam_proto_zero

Here is the Gundam Fenice Restita in MG form I was talking about, a radical Wing Gundam design which isn't the first.

http://gundamguy.blogspot.co.uk/2015/03/mg-1100-gundam-fenice-rinascita-new.html

This is the first radial version which is only available in HG. There is a good amount of Wing Gundam kits.

No Caption Provided
#144 Posted by Winterflea (2 posts) -

The last of the quick builds I did while listening to the GOTY cast.

No Caption Provided

Now to do a bunch of paneling lining in the future while listening to new Bomb and Beast casts.

#145 Posted by guyver0 (203 posts) -

So because of Austin (!) I got a HGUC RX-78 revive, I got an HGUC RX-78GP01fb for christmas, nightmare to put together and I've got a HGUC Zaku II on the way. I really wanna get a RG next but I'm tempted by the Iron Blooded Orphans kits.

#146 Posted by VincentLonga (77 posts) -

@dystopiax: Yes! I got the same one at a Barnes and Noble, been building it slowly. Careful on tucking the arm connections into the torso, I bent the plastic in that step.

#147 Posted by Daveyo520 (7766 posts) -

@akyho: Wow nice. I like the battle damagedness of that one.

#148 Posted by plasmathrower (49 posts) -

Y'all got crazy taste in gundams. Gotta go with UC stuff. Gotta go OLD SCHOOL. Paint your gundams, thin your paints!

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

#149 Posted by ichthy (1369 posts) -

@plasmathrower: I love how massive Unicorn suits are compared to like...everything else.

#150 Posted by DedBeet (706 posts) -

This year, my wife decided to get into adult coloring books, so I'm thinking about getting back into model building (did quite a bit when I was a wee little lad). Can someone point me to Mecha models that have a more rugged, war machine type appearance? From cursory scan, many are sleek, anime types with lots of bright colors (lots of white, blue, reds). I'm looking for more rugged type machine with more military type colors (olive, browns, grey, etc.).