Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#401  Edited By Jesus_Phish

@belegorm said:

Anyone have a link to that Austin gunpla video? I seem to have missed it.

Also I'm kind of interested all of a sudden. Iron-Blooded Orphans is the only series I've seen and the only gundams I'm familiar with. Can anyone recommend a Barbatos model that isn't too expensive and would be good for a beginner?

The Austin bit is in the GOTY 2015 Recap video. He's the first or second skit think.

You can pick up a Barbatos for under $15 from Amazon or under $8 from Hobby Link Japan. Same kit, perfect for beginners.

Ark4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

finally did my hguc shin matsugada zaku ii custom.

No Caption Provided

This was the oldest of the Zaku II kits I ordered and it felt really different and simplistic compared to the newer kits.

Still have the thunderbolt Zaku II on my backlog.

Ordered an Acguy for my first master grade. Excited for that. Thinking of going for the master grade Z'Gok after that.

Sieg Zeon

Akyho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ark4 said:

finally did my hguc shin matsugada zaku ii custom.

No Caption Provided

This was the oldest of the Zaku II kits I ordered and it felt really different and simplistic compared to the newer kits.

Still have the thunderbolt Zaku II on my backlog.

Ordered an Acguy for my first master grade. Excited for that. Thinking of going for the master grade Z'Gok after that.

Sieg Zeon

*looks at his Gunpla* ummmmm I don't think I have a kit much older than 2010 and then I think most my kits are maybe 2006? I have Build fighter kits but those are at the core still old kits.

I mostly only know the simpler mechanics while I know that newer kits more so the IBO ones have some differences. I should pick myself up an IBO kit or something more modern.....oh wait I HAVE THE HOT BRAND NEW REVIVE QUBELEY! I forgot and not I am excited....3 more weeks till its delivered!

Yeah the Zaku 1 sniper type felt the most simplistic (after my 1998 Aestivalis kit...but...thats 1998.) yet I was actualy very fascinated by it from more modern kits.

Ark4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#404  Edited By Ark4

@akyho: wow, i guess i was mistaken. it wasn't that old. it's 2013. yet the quality and build design is lower than the thunderbolt and origin.

I think those two and the rg line have ruined my expectations on that exact kit.

Also, I really want a Zaku I sniper too. It looks soooooo gooooood.

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#405  Edited By Belegorm

Oh man, just went out to a local hobby land to see what they had/prices/I needed tools, and hot damn I'm stoked now. Got an HG 1/144 Mobile Suit Option set 2 & CGS Mobile Worker Space Type (hell if I know what that means either, but if you look at it it's the worker mobile suits they're using at the start of Iron-Blooded Children. Also got an HG 1/44 Graze Standard Type/Commander Type (the one that the protagonist fights first, the sad old soldier that I was really into). And also an HG 1/144 Graze Custom (the one from whoever that stoic "I'm just a slave for killing" guy used). Got those 3 as they were the Iron-Blooded Children ones there, many of the other ones looked a bit cooler but hey these are the ones I recognise.

Not overpriced either, $8 for the first one (it's all grey which is kinda disappointing but when I get better at it I can paint it), and $13 for the other two (which when you factor in shipping is about as much as you find online).

I think I'm going to try and get a Barbatos online in the future when I'm better at it and finished these at least, but go for something fancier because to me that's the face of Gundam I recognise; like an RG or MG.

Yay for a new fun, much less expensive than I thought, hobby!

Edit, lol I think my first set is an alternate weapon set for a different thing and this tiny little robot on the side but hey it's cool

Hampe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#406  Edited By Hampe

@randombattle: @atomicoldman:

IT HAS ARRIVED

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

I'm looking forward to start building it, but I wanna do it right this time. Usually I haven't painted any of my kits (mostly because I haven't had the tools/felt nervous) but this beauty I wanna do the right way. So it'll probably take some time but hey, the holographic box of this kit looks pretty darn sweet.

InstantRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My Gouf Custom was delivered yesterday and still waiting for my Barbatos to arrive. I've had the Unicorn Destroy Mode for a couple weeks but I'm saving that one for last out of the three. I'll probably start building the Gouf sometime this weekend when I need a break from XCOM 2.

@hampe: That is one cool looking box. Also, those posters(?) look pretty sweet.

Hampe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@instantryan: It's actually tenugui, a japanese cloth/towel, which I've bought during my trips to Tokyo for the past few years. The gundam one was my most recent one, which I found at G-Front in Odaiba. It looks pretty dope!

No Caption Provided

Akyho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#409  Edited By Akyho

@ark4: Ah yeah Thunderbolt line came out 2013 onwards, while Origin is very very new.

Checking up on your Zaku 2 it may have been 2013 release however I think it's just the same old Zaku 2 kit just with some extra parts and a different plastic colour meaning I think it is based on the old 2003 kit, which would explain alot of things on your feelings of the build.

@belegorm: The option set is for IBO and will go along fine with your Graze kits just fine!

No Caption Provided

InstantRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hampe: Holy crap, that looks so good. I'm going to have to be on the lookout from now on for something similar.

Cesakich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MAN that Grimgerde thing coming out in the IBO line looks cool

Also that 1/100 kit that can either make the Gusion or the Gusion Rebake

Why do I like the IBO designs so much more than any other series'

They're just so sleek and cool looking

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#412  Edited By Belegorm

@akyho: Ah awesome! After like 4 hours I finally put all those weapons together. Worse moment was stickers (always has been for me in any context), putting 4 circular ones on the knobs coming out of the gun was exasperating; fortunately I had a pair of tweezers that made it a lot easier.

Edit: My Graze commander's manual has some english translations in it!

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@hampe: very curious to hear! I am considering either a Metal Gear or Zone of the Enders kit and those are all kotobukiya so I'm curious of the quality/experience

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#414  Edited By Belegorm

MUST. SLEEP. BUT CAN'T STOP BUILDING!!!

Blaccuweather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#415  Edited By Blaccuweather

Hey, guys. New to the thread. I started watching the original Mobile Suit Gundam back in December for a handful of reasons, though I'd seen a couple other Gundam series before that (Wing, 08th MS Team, and currently keeping up with IBO). By the time the first GOTY video went up with Austin's build club segment, I was roughly halfway through 0079 and enjoying it a good amount. Naturally, I started to get that itch...

I placed an order for the Tamiya basic tool set and a master grade MS-06F Zaku II kit a couple weeks ago, ended up finishing the series (and starting Zeta Gundam) last week, and the kit finally arrived a couple nights ago. Finally got to work on it a bunch last night and through a good chunk of today, and man, that didn't feel like 9 hours of work. It's nothing fancy, but I'm proud of my Zaku.

I'm thinking about picking up an RX-78-2 kit soon, but will probably hold off for a little bit. Not sure how long that willpower will last, though...

IzunaDrop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is looking like my first HG.

.. or the oji-san's Graze from Iron Blooded Orphans.

I have terrible shelving issues with lots of GitS, figma and some Transformers, but this just looks too good and too fun.

No Caption Provided

wchigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dystopiax: Well I took another look and those were for the official Gundam markers and it was for a whole pack. Thinking about it more, I would only want about 2-3 colours and so it'd be cheaper to buy them individually. Now I'm thinking about whether I want to go for the "official" ones from Mr. Hobby or go for the Copic Multiliners, which many people say are even better.

@jesus_phish: I've actually not seen the "fan made" ones for Gundam around, though I did see a hilariously bad Lego imitation a couple days back. If anything, I'd probably want to stick with the legit stuff personally. Living in China for 5+ years now, you learn you can't try to skimp on certain things if you want them to last. These kits might be fine but for piece of mind, I'd rather pay the mark-up (albeit reduced mark-up like when it's on sale).

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@izunadrop: I just got that same Graze and am mostly done with it, as a complete first timer so far it's been fairly simple, though time-consuming since I'm rather slow at cutting off nubs and sanding. So far the number of times I've stabbed myself with a knife are twice.

Hampe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#419  Edited By Hampe

@hayt: I've built Kotobukiya kits before, one Jehuty (ZoE) and one Ginkei (Ikaruga). In comparison to gunplas they can be a bit finicky at times. I feel like they have smaller more fragile parts (the Ginkei was especially hard in this aspect) and might need some glueing because of this. But they look great! Even without paint!

Here's my builds:

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

As you can see they are hella dusty which brings me to a question for everyone in this thread; how the hell do you clean your models from dust?

Here's an extra picture of my Sazabi MG in the snow:

No Caption Provided

ichthy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aviont: I've been using this recently and it works okay and is fairly cheap, except it doesn't have a tank. I don't believe a tank is mandatory, although it's nice to have so your compressor doesn't need to run constantly.

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hampe: Awesome! The Jehuty was the one I've been eyeing so it was cool I see a real build. Is that just out the box or panel lined at all?

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#422  Edited By Belegorm

Holy crap, after working on it for a couple days (about 6-7 hours I'd say?), my Graze Commander is assembled! Also found out my roommate used to build them, but he hasn't had extra money for a while with school and only liked doing the nicer ones I think.

I think the blade on my hobby knife is just about done after 1 kit; granted I was using it on pretty much every single nub, I cut it off with the cutters, trimmed it with the knife, then sanded, for just about every nub (except SOME of the interior... spokes or whatever you call them), as I'm a bit OCD about things. And I think my sandstick is decently well worn now too.

How long do blades for a hobby knife, and a sandstick usually last people? And what grain of sandstick, I've been using 240/240, seemed about right.

Uh... ordered that HG 1/144 Barbatos and the Graze High Mobility, and a tamiya tool set... starting to not like where this is going in terms of affording :P

toshi0815

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#423  Edited By toshi0815

@belegorm: That clipper from the tamiya tool set is pretty good and I already cut myself with the knife, so I guess that's good too.

No Caption Provided

Decided to do another plane before building the giant Bismarck. Put about 25 hours into it so far and I'll probably finish the build today.

Now it's time to mess up the paintjob.
Now it's time to mess up the paintjob.

Hampe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hayt: No panel lining except a bit on the shoulders, as I started trying to line it, but quickly realised that I didn't have the right tools.

JimmySmiths

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My current project is the RG Zaku II (first RG), but I've only just looked at the instructions. I have been really hesitant to start it because of all the small details, stickers, and waterslide decals. I tend to paint my kits but the RG molds seem so good I feel like my crappy painting will diminish them. Does anyone have experience with this one? Specifically, do the sprues discolor enough to justify paint, or will a topcoat mainly for hiding the decal edges suffice?

Ark4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#426  Edited By Ark4

And my last HG Zaku as I wait for new gunpla to arrive.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Aviont

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@toshi0815: omg! I love it! Been building gundams recently, was thinking of doing a plane or a star trek ship instead.... you gave me inspiration!

Aviont

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#428  Edited By Aviont

update of my in progress MG Heavy Arms EW Custom! Most of it is hand painted, but recently got stuff needed for airbrushing. Some of the stuff is airbrushed, but not all! Did a custom color palette on this one, give it more of a desert feel. So far about 40-42 hours worth of work, painted the skeleton underneath as well. I think once I'm done with this MG I will probably stick with them. The build of the joints, the number of separate parts (making it way easier to paint!), and I haven't even started on the decals!

No Caption Provided
Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was reading on another forum that they had been using putty for their model kits. These were Hasegawa Macross mecha kits so not snapfit like gunpla but still quite poseable. I couldn't determine what the putty was used for though. Does anyone know? Filling recesses?

Aviont

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hayt: yes, putty is used to either sculpt new things or deformed pieces. Or the most commob use for gunpla is to fill the seams between pieces and then sand it smooth.

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just looked at my roommate's 1/100 Zaku; I'm not sure of the grade but I assume RG or MG? Pretty awesome and also he painted it with an airbrush and it looks real nice.

wchigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@belegorm: if it is 1/100 then it is likely MG, since RG models are 1/144 just like HG.

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So I just got this tamiya tool set in the mail and realised in a while I may be in a bit of a pickle in a bit, as I didn't realise how fast you go through blades. Is there a way to get blades for the knife in that kit, or more of that knife? Or should I just grab a similar knife from the dollar store after I'm out of blades? Or is this all foolish using this kind of blade where you pop off chunks of it, and just use hobby knives instead?

Or am I overthinking all this and should just get whatever knife seems sharp?

Akyho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RipTheVeins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hate you, Austin and I hate this thread. I'm probably going to take the plunge and get the Kotobukiya 1/72 Liger Zero along with all of the expansion unit sets.

Also, I know they're not Kits, but I was thinking of selling off all of my Gundam MSiA 4.5" figures. I have about 25-ish with 90-100% of their accessories. Mostly G Gundam with some Wing and original series mixed in. Just though I'd post that here, if anyone was interested feel free to PM me!

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#436  Edited By Belegorm

@akyho: Right, I do know you buy blades for hobby knives like those. I was wondering if there are blade replacements for the kind of knife that comes in the tamiya set; you know, the kind of knives where you push the blade out section by section and break each piece off as they get blunt. Or if you just buy a new one of those. My roommate said he used to buy knives like that from the dollar store that worked just fine except they wore out fast; but at like 33 cents per knife it worked out.

Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

My extremely way too expensive Tief Sturmer from Mechanicore showed up last week finally. It's an extremely detailed take on the obscure S Gundam Booster Unit Type Plan 303E "Deep Striker". I'm not sure when I'll have the time and space to put it together, but I just couldn't miss a chance to have the limited edition version! (Also, my Gunpla spending habits are out of control.)

Apparently this thing is 22 inches tall and 34 inches long and is made up of 50 runners for a total of around 1800 pieces! The craziest part is that it takes 53 (?!) batteries to power all its individual LEDs. HUGE PAIN to have to buy 53 individual batteries of varying sizes, but for some reason they didn't design it with an internal circuit system.

Hot pics:

No Caption Provided

The box far left, 2 Perfect Grades and 1 Master Grade for scale.
The box far left, 2 Perfect Grades and 1 Master Grade for scale.
No Caption Provided
HOT BOOSTERS!
HOT BOOSTERS!

Lots of pictures HERE to ogle, if anyone is interested.

df

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#438  Edited By df
Akyho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@belegorm: Oh yeah there is replacement blades for those as well however I found some at one point however finding them again is a bit hard as I am not sure what to search for. I would probably suggest buying the usual arts/hobby knife like I linked and then just buying those blades as you have an easier time finding replacements and selection on different blades for different jobs.

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Here's (another) dumb question - I just got the action base 2 black in the mail, and it comes with what looks like a little yellow rectangular sticker, about 1.7" x 1.3". What the heck is this for? I imagine it isn't used for anything important since the instructions don't show it, but seriously confused as to what it's for.

IamTerics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ok I actually finished my first 2 kits! As long as you don't look too closely, they came out alright. I was actually surprised at how easy they were. Both took 2 days and took 4 hours each. Very easy compared to the model kits I've attempted before. Still had problems with some problems with leftover plastic. Side cutters then knife seemed to work best for me but, often I'd just use a fingernail instead of a knife to just scratch the last bit off.

I also ordered like ten more so so I'll be busy for a while.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#442  Edited By Hayt

To those of you who paint these kind of kits I seem to gather it's mostly sprays and airbrushes right? Since I normally paint much smaller models I just use brushes but I feel like that might come out uneven on something so big. I have a few sprays I use for base coating my other models. Do you think those would do the trick on these sort of models?

Aviont

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hayt: I personally just started airbrushing, but i do both. I airbrush to get the shine away (and I do a lot of custom color palettes), and then hand paint the finer details. Haven't used cans but I really do like how smooth the paint comes out when dried using an airbrush. Haven't done a top coat yet with any model, thinking of doing it on my current one when it is done. Pretty mich just stick with what you like. I still love al my solely hand painted ones!

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#444  Edited By Hayt

@aviont: I'm tempted to buy an airbrush (my rationalisation is that I can use it on my WW2 model tanks that I also have) but the good ones are suuuuuuuper pricey and it strikes me as the sort of thing that you don't want to cheap out on.

Also a general question. The Gundam/Japanese model scene seems to have a lot of different terms for stuff I already know but I want to know for sure. When people say top-coat they mean stuff like matte sprays which I consider to be stuff like testors dullcoat which I use on my Warhammer, Flames of War and other small model kits but I'm reading that it doesn't go well with Gundam markers which seem pretty key for doing your panel lines on these bigger models.

I'd like to avoid having to buy a whole "Japanese" set of paints and sprays (Tamiya, Mr Hobby, Gundam pens) when I already some stuff I could use. But obviously I don't want to bungle my model. Anyone know if/why these different things don't play nice? Also anyone have experience using tamiya sprays for painting the model then finishing with a matte?

Thanks a bunch.

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@hayt said:

@aviont: I'm tempted to buy an airbrush (my rationalisation is that I can use it on my WW2 model tanks that I also have) but the good ones are suuuuuuuper pricey and it strikes me as the sort of thing that you don't want to cheap out on.

Also a general question. The Gundam/Japanese model scene seems to have a lot of different terms for stuff I already know but I want to know for sure. When people say top-coat they mean stuff like matte sprays which I consider to be stuff like testors dullcoat which I use on my Warhammer, Flames of War and other small model kits but I'm reading that it doesn't go well with Gundam markers which seem pretty key for doing your panel lines on these bigger models.

I'd like to avoid having to buy a whole "Japanese" set of paints and sprays (Tamiya, Mr Hobby, Gundam pens) when I already some stuff I could use. But obviously I don't want to bungle my model. Anyone know if/why these different things don't play nice? Also anyone have experience using tamiya sprays for painting the model then finishing with a matte?

Not sure by what they mean by topcoat not working too well with the gundam markers. I buy Sakura markers for doing eyes and script on scrolls and purity seals on my miniatures which get a pretty liberal coat of Krylon gloss coat, followed by a coat of Krylon or Testor's dull coat. I'm pretty sure those are the same super fine markers used to do the panel lines on gundams and I haven't had any issues.

Though, as always, your best bet is to mark up a piece of sprue with the marker and hit it with some clear coat.

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zelyre: I read this guys experience here but now I notice he says it's testors lacquer dullcoat which I don't believe is the one I have. If you say you've used it and had no trouble I'm inclined to trust that. I notice that there a few different tips for these markers. What sort would be best for doing panel lining on a model jet because that's mostly what I'll be going for.

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@hayt: I can see the lacquer clear coat doing some bad things to acrylic paint. I actually accidentally bought a can of the lacquer dullcoat the last time I was at the game shop. It is a totally different product and smells totally different. If the weather's fine when I get home, I might have a tyranid I can sacrifice to the spray gods.

I'd just get the assortment pack of markers. That way, you can pick and choose, depending on the model.

http://www.amazon.com/Sakura-30062-6-Piece-Pigma-Micron/dp/B0008G8G8Y/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1454952877&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=sakurra+pen

Aviont

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hayt: I am about to order some Guundam markers this week and finish up my Heavyarms (like 95% done! so close >.<) with the markers I will try doing a top coat for the first time with the Testor's. I will update when that happens, but it will be a few weeks, lol, I'll be airbrushing my top coat on.

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well after another 6-7-ish hours, my Barbatos is complete! Finally got some pictures of them! (and yes I did notice that the Grave's rifle is upside-down there but it was the best picture I had). I like the feet for the Barbatos, kind of a pain to figure out how to balance it but it's able to do way cooler poses standing than like any other model I've seen and in my mind even looks better than it would on a stand.

I would like to if nothing else get into panel lining and topcoating I think. According to one website, they recommend gray for white or light gray parts (like the Barbatos's armor), a black marker for blue or dark grey parts (the shield on barbatos and the blue torso piece I guess?), and a brown marker for colors like red or yellow. What color would I use for green like on the Grave? For some reason I only ordered black and gray gundam markers; shoulda gotten more.

I want to do my Schwalbe Graze and Graze Custom next, but after that I think I'll be looking into getting the 1/100 Barbatos, maybe either the new HG RX-78-2 or the MG RX-78-2 Origin version.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

jking47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Woo! Built my first model kit ever now! The other ones I ordered are taking too long so I decided to stop by a local hobby shop and get something there. I meant to get a HG, probably the Barbatos, but I walked out with the real grade RX-78-2 :O It took me about 8 hours yesterday and 4-5 hours this morning. I have not put on all of the stickers yet, those things are the worst. Might get more practice on some other ones before doing that, I messed up in a couple parts but nothing too major. I am already deciding what to get next, this is a dangerous hobby. I don't even have places to put all of these things...