• 50 results
vager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 25

Edited By vager

There has been a lot of really good videos coming out on Giant Bomb's youtube channel thanks to the interns, so I built a little something so that you don't have to leave giantbomb.com to see the latest videos that get posted on there.

Updated screenshot of the Youtube page.

All you need to do is download and install this browser extension: http://www.vager.net/gbyoutube/whiskey-youtubepage.user.js. *Make sure to remove the old extension first! It should work fine with Chrome and Firefox. If you're using Firefox, you'll need Greasemonkey or something similar.

The extension basically turns http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/7/ into the youtube video page, as well as adding links to that page on site's menus (in the videos submenu on the top and the category menu on the main video page).

Right now, it only shows the latest 20 videos. I'll be adding more functionality to the page overtime.

Issues that I know of:

• Dropdown menus are underneath youtube video (wmode=transparent doesn't seem to solve this issue) - Sort of works on Firefox, Chrome not at all.
  • Link to the youtube page is on the review drop down menu. - Thought the reviews drop down only showed latest 3 reviews. Need to figure out another way to insert the link. I was using <dl> tags to determine the right location.

Things I want to add:

• Pagination
  • Current Video Title
  • Playlist categories, so that you can easily get to all the fear gauntlet videos
  • A button to like the current video, so that Ethan can be a happy man (not sure if it's possible yet) - It's possible but requires using the API, I've been using xml to do this, so I don't think I want to rebuild it just for that.
  • Detect and change page styling depending on if you using the black or white skins on GB. - I figured out the detection part, but finding a good way to send that info into the iframe is proving to be a challenge.

If you find any issues let me know!

Also if you start seeing scroll bars you should probably check back to this post and reinstall the extension. As I add more stuff, I'll need to periodically add more height to the page, which requires modifying the extension.

Change Log

Sept 15, 2011

• Fixed issue with video overlapping the drop down menus.
  • Added current video title.
  • Added some styling so that anyone using the white layout change see the white text.
  • Fixed issue with the fullscreen button not working.
  • Added playlist categories

Sept 16, 2011

• Fixed Youtube Link being placed in the wrong location on the header menu. This time it searches for the correct place to put the link. It shouldn't break again. *You'll need to re-download the extension for this fix. Make sure to delete the old one first.
  • Fixed the styling on the category bar.
  • Added a community category. I'll be adding videos made by the community into this category.
  • Youtube link on video categories bar should show up no matter where you are on the videos page now.
  • Added a version checker. If you don't have an up to date extension it will show a message on the page asking you to update the extension.
  • It can now detect which skin (black or white) your using on Giant Bomb and change the styling to match it accordingly.

Sept 19, 2011

• Youtube link on category bar in videos page is now dynamically positioned like the one in the drop down menu.
  • Cropped the video thumbnails to get rid of the black bars on the top and bottom.
  • Spaced out the video list a bit.
  • Fixed issue with some videos not working because they had special characters on their title.
  • Added Pagination of videos.
  • Added Youtube pages for Screened, Comic Vine, Tested and Anime Vice with their own styling to match the site.

And we're all done Folks!

Sept 27, 2011

• Updated Tested's stylesheet to match the new site.

Oct 14, 2011

• Youtube link in Videos menu is now before the Youtube subscribe box.

Oct 26, 2011

• Only displays Intern Content now.
  • Calling the links on GB "Interns" instead of "YouTube" now.

Jan 11, 2012

• Removed Screened, Tested, Comic Vine and Anime Vice pages as there are no Intern videos on those sites.
  • The old url I was using is now giving a 404 Error. Changed the URL to the Trailers category (gaintbomb.com/videos/7/).

Completely forgot about this. If don't have firefox or chrome or don't want to install anything go here: http://www.vager.net/gbyoutube/giantbomb.php. It's the same thing minus the giantbomb.com integration.

vager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By vager

There has been a lot of really good videos coming out on Giant Bomb's youtube channel thanks to the interns, so I built a little something so that you don't have to leave giantbomb.com to see the latest videos that get posted on there.

All you need to do is download and install this browser extension: http://www.vager.net/gbyoutube/whiskey-youtubepage.user.js. *Make sure to remove the old extension first! It should work fine with Chrome and Firefox. If you're using Firefox, you'll need Greasemonkey or something similar.

The extension basically turns http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/7/ into the youtube video page, as well as adding links to that page on site's menus (in the videos submenu on the top and the category menu on the main video page).

Right now, it only shows the latest 20 videos. I'll be adding more functionality to the page overtime.

Issues that I know of:

• Dropdown menus are underneath youtube video (wmode=transparent doesn't seem to solve this issue) - Sort of works on Firefox, Chrome not at all.
  • Link to the youtube page is on the review drop down menu. - Thought the reviews drop down only showed latest 3 reviews. Need to figure out another way to insert the link. I was using <dl> tags to determine the right location.

Things I want to add:

• Pagination
  • Current Video Title
  • Playlist categories, so that you can easily get to all the fear gauntlet videos
  • A button to like the current video, so that Ethan can be a happy man (not sure if it's possible yet) - It's possible but requires using the API, I've been using xml to do this, so I don't think I want to rebuild it just for that.
  • Detect and change page styling depending on if you using the black or white skins on GB. - I figured out the detection part, but finding a good way to send that info into the iframe is proving to be a challenge.

If you find any issues let me know!

Also if you start seeing scroll bars you should probably check back to this post and reinstall the extension. As I add more stuff, I'll need to periodically add more height to the page, which requires modifying the extension.

Change Log

Sept 15, 2011

• Fixed issue with video overlapping the drop down menus.
  • Added current video title.
  • Added some styling so that anyone using the white layout change see the white text.
  • Fixed issue with the fullscreen button not working.
  • Added playlist categories

Sept 16, 2011

• Fixed Youtube Link being placed in the wrong location on the header menu. This time it searches for the correct place to put the link. It shouldn't break again. *You'll need to re-download the extension for this fix. Make sure to delete the old one first.
  • Fixed the styling on the category bar.
  • Added a community category. I'll be adding videos made by the community into this category.
  • Youtube link on video categories bar should show up no matter where you are on the videos page now.
  • Added a version checker. If you don't have an up to date extension it will show a message on the page asking you to update the extension.
  • It can now detect which skin (black or white) your using on Giant Bomb and change the styling to match it accordingly.

Sept 19, 2011

• Youtube link on category bar in videos page is now dynamically positioned like the one in the drop down menu.
  • Cropped the video thumbnails to get rid of the black bars on the top and bottom.
  • Spaced out the video list a bit.
  • Fixed issue with some videos not working because they had special characters on their title.
  • Added Pagination of videos.
  • Added Youtube pages for Screened, Comic Vine, Tested and Anime Vice with their own styling to match the site.

And we're all done Folks!

Sept 27, 2011

• Updated Tested's stylesheet to match the new site.

Oct 14, 2011

• Youtube link in Videos menu is now before the Youtube subscribe box.

Oct 26, 2011

• Only displays Intern Content now.
  • Calling the links on GB "Interns" instead of "YouTube" now.

Jan 11, 2012

• Removed Screened, Tested, Comic Vine and Anime Vice pages as there are no Intern videos on those sites.
  • The old url I was using is now giving a 404 Error. Changed the URL to the Trailers category (gaintbomb.com/videos/7/).

Completely forgot about this. If don't have firefox or chrome or don't want to install anything go here: http://www.vager.net/gbyoutube/giantbomb.php. It's the same thing minus the giantbomb.com integration.

ethan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By ethan

Whoa this sounds pretty cool. Hey I made that custom Val Kilmer / Carrie Anne Moss for Rorie's YouTube video.

We'll check this out and will promote it to the Rad Stuff on the home page.

MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By MetalGearSunny

That's pretty awesome! 

Dylabaloo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Dylabaloo

I have no idea how you did this but it is really cool.

NathHaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By NathHaw

Just installed it. Did a quick view of the videos page, and I saw the youtube option show up. Very nice. Thanks.

Edit: I've noticed that the mouse wheel button doesn't activate when I press it is for easier scrolling on the youtube section. Didn't know if you knew about that.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Scooper

That's super cool, man. Works like a charm.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By probablytuna

That's wicked, awesome dude!

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong

Keep it up.

Dingofighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Dingofighter

Nice!

Now make it official...

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#10  Edited By MooseyMcMan

Sounds great!

ShadowVirus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 17

#11  Edited By ShadowVirus

This is cool, does it only work for Chrome and FF, and does it work on OSX?

vager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By vager

@nrh79: Nope, I didn't know about that. Did some research on the issue, doesn't seem like I can do anything about it. I'm using an iframe to load the page and they don't like middle click scrolling for whatever reason.

@ShadowVirus: It could work other browsers, try this: http://www.pcworld.com/article/184108/use_greasemonkey_scripts_in_ie_chrome_and_safari.html. It should work on OSX with at least FF and Chrome. Can't really test it though, as I don't have a Mac.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#13  Edited By MooseyMcMan

Works like a charm! That was super cool.

rargy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#14  Edited By rargy

Can't read the video titles on the white version of the site (unless you mouse over them). Other then that, this is pretty awesome.

wordfalling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#15  Edited By wordfalling

Nice one!

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#16  Edited By natetodamax

This seems pretty rad. I'll be sure to check it out next time I'm on my computer. Good work duder!

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Milkman

This is awesome, dude. Great job. The YouTube channel is always dropping stealth shit on the channel without warning like these free-to-play videos they're doing.

One problem I found is that on Chrome, I can't seem to full screen the video.

DanielComfort

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By DanielComfort

Hey, this is slick. Thanks a lot for posting this, and thanks for noticing the work us interns are doing, as of late!

supaman900s

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By supaman900s

sweet!

vager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By vager

Fixed some of the issues that people have found. I'll be keeping a simple change log on the top post.

EmuLeader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By EmuLeader

Absolutely awesome. I bet alot of people aren't even aware of that stuff, so putting it on the site is great. I hope people are checking out the rad community section, cause things like this improve the site and prove the greatness of the community.

coakroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By coakroach

Nice one dude.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By FacelessVixen

Goddamn! One less reason to go to YouTube. I'm amazed.

Daouzin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Daouzin

Awesome, downloaded and installed. Works perfectly!

Thanks!

NekuCTR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By NekuCTR

More awesome code work. keep it up duder!

ShadowVirus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26  Edited By ShadowVirus

Got it working perfectly on Firefox for OSX, haven't had as much luck with Safari.

vager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By vager

Added playlist categories. You can sort through Fear Gauntlet, Free to Play and How to Win videos now.

Zimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Zimbo

This is great. Good enough to be an official feature.

Hector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#29  Edited By Hector

Great job duder, using it now!

vager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By vager

Did a bunch of updates today.

• People will notice a message at the top now asking for you to update the extension. This will message will disappear after the update.
  • I've added a community category which I filled up with videos done by the Giant Bomb community. I'll continue adding more as they come.
  • People using the white version of Giant Bomb get their own page styling matching the rest of the site.
  • Also did a few fixes with the youtube page link locations around the website.

I'm almost feature complete! All that's left is pagination!

DanielComfort

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By DanielComfort

@Vager: Man, you are just simply-fucking-awesome. Thanks again for doing all this.

vager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By vager

@DanielComfort: Haha, thanks! I honestly had no idea how I was going to do this in the beginning. I usually try to learn this stuff and build something that serves no real purpose for anybody other than myself. But, doing hardcoredave.com with AlistarCat and MisterChief a few weeks ago proved to be a great learning experience on building something can be used and shared by a community and this was no different. I shall continue doing stuff like this in the future, cause I absolutely love doing it!

vager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By vager

Here's the last update and It's a big one!

You'll be able to browse the entire youtube library now and I've added youtube pages on all the other Whiskey Media sites.

If you are active on the other whiskey sites and want to manage their community videos category, give me a pm and I'll set it up so you can manage it through your youtube account.

And that's it! I've done what I wanted to do for this. I'll to keep fixing issues that rise up, but I'm done making any major changes to this.

Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#34  Edited By Cincaid

@Vager: Downloaded the latest update (removed the old file first), but I can't get it to work since then. It just says it can't connect to server 127.0.0.1:8888

Avatar image for kowalskimandown
KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#35  Edited By KowalskiManDown

@Cincaid said:

@Vager: Downloaded the latest update (removed the old file first), but I can't get it to work since then. It just says it can't connect to server 127.0.0.1:8888

This is what I'm seeing.
This is what I'm seeing.
Defias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#36  Edited By Defias

@Creamypies said:

@Cincaid said:

Same problem.

butano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#37  Edited By butano

@Defias said:

@Creamypies said:

@Cincaid said:

Same problem.

Same here.

vager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By vager

@Cincaid: @Creamypies: @Defias: Whoops! Forgot to replace my local address. It's updated now.

Just redownload the extension again.

Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#40  Edited By Cincaid

@Vager: Yay, working again. Thanks!

alexisg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By alexisg

@Vager: Nice Job! Very cool stuff. I have zero experience with these grease monkey scripts but this is nice work. Thanks for the contributions as always.

digthedoug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#42  Edited By digthedoug

Just want to give another thanks because this script is fantastic! Great job!

matthew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#43  Edited By matthew

Sweet job man. The Interns have actually been putting out some quality stuff, glad to see not only someone else thinks so, but is taking initiative and promoting it the best way they know how. Cheers mate.

mewarmo990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By mewarmo990

Wow, this is amazing. It integrates into the WM sites seamlessly, like it was always there. Bravo, @Vager.

minotaka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By minotaka

Good job!

vager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By vager

Updated Tested's stylesheet to match the new site.

Let it be known that I did this before the new Tested site launched!

Also forgot I did this. For people who don't have firefox/chrome or don't want to install anything: http://www.vager.net/gbyoutube/giantbomb.php. It's the same thing minus the giantbomb.com integration.

wordfalling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By wordfalling

This is a great extension, been using it since Ethan pointed it out on twitter. The only bug I've run across is once in while the Free to Play category returns an error which I've unhelpfully never written down (sorry about that, next time).

Great work Vager!

vager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By vager

Due to the recent changes on the Giantbomb's YouTube Channel. I changed it so it becomes a hub for Intern/Community content only.

Should be easier to keep tabs on the Intern's content this way.

zameer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#49  Edited By zameer

So glad I ran into this. Incredible job.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d8bd173e1e3b
deactivated-5d8bd173e1e3b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow this is amazing thanks!