girl arrested for burning qu'ran

hicks91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By hicks91
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/nov/25/girl-arrested-allegedly-burning-quran     

I honestly despair for Britain sometimes. The full wrath of the law is brought down on a girl for this, yet there are hate preachers abundant in the country, untouchable because of their "human rights". Freedom of expression is the greatest freedom, this girl did nothing to hurt or instruct others to harm anyone yet she gets this. I dont agree with her but damn, she shouldnt have been treated like this
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By natetodamax

The teenager, from the Sandwell district of Birmingham, was filmed on her school premises burning the book. Police have confirmed the incident was reported to the school and the video has since been removed from the social networking site.    

Isn't burning stuff on school property kinda illegal?
hicks91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By hicks91

she was arrested for hate crimes
burning stuff on school does not warrant police intervention, in fact on the last day of my school we have a big bonfire of our exercise books

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By valrog
@hicks91:  Yeah, but those books aren't "holy".
hicks91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By hicks91
@valrog: Muslims routinely burn Bibles and Vedas yet there isnt this reaction and nor should there be 
you cant arrest someone for expressing themselves in a peaceful manner
landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By landon

For God's sake, can people not leave other people's religion's alone?

Trifork89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Trifork89

I'm not Muslim but even i would consider this an act of hate and intolerance.. considering how most Muslims treat the Qu'ran this is a pretty serious act that the girl committed.. Oh and her punishment was not severe at all.
Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By Pinworm45
@Landon said:
" For God's sake, can people not leave other people's religion's alone? "
Sure, when those religions stop destroying our schools or flying planes into our buildings. 

Also, this is ridiculous. It was freedom of expression. 

I will leave you all with this: 

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#10  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

That seems like a hate crime more than anything. 

EDIT: Immediate response, I retracted it.

hicks91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By hicks91

In Britain there is a town called Woottoon Bassett. This is where the majority of the coffins for wounded servicemen are carried through. The UK believes in freedom of expression and as such we allow this 

this happens week in week out.  Why is tolerance show there, but not towards an obviously confused teenager?
coryrx8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By coryrx8

This may be hateful, but I don't feel like it's something that a person should be arrested for. Burning flags or religious icons has been an accepted form of protest all over the world for quite some time. We may not like it, but it was a non-violent form of protest, and allowing something like this is essential to maintaining a society that allows free expression.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Scooper

I don't know why the police had to get involved. Surely the people who believe in the Qu'ran nonsense believe she'll be cast into flame for two thousand moons when he dies or whatever.

Simulacrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Simulacrum
@Landon said:
" For God's sake, can people not leave other people's religion's alone? "

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#15  Edited By ch13696

What isn't considered a hate crime now n days. I can burn my Xbox 360 and that would be considered hate towards Xbox 360 fanboys.

hicks91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By hicks91
@Simulacrum: religion is an expression of your inner self. she expressed hers and was persecuted. why cant she be granted the same freedoms you obviously think all religions should have?
Warfare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Warfare

Meh fuck her.

Pessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Pessh

At least she did it in the UK, won't get beheaded here, dumb bitch.

Wuddel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By Wuddel

Yeah, so now what? She is a kid. Kids are supposed to be stupid. What happened to her, hum? I guess the police just arrested her, hold her for a few hours, set her straight. No harm done in my opinion. She probably just wanted attention. How to treat people who obviously promote hate is another thing - I do think that some western countries are not defending their core values as they should.

hicks91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By hicks91
@Wuddel: i dont know about you but speaking as a grown man being arrested would be traumatising 
can you not imagine what she went through, a totally disproportionate response 
Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22  Edited By Gizmo
@hicks91 said:
" she was arrested for hate crimesburning stuff on school does not warrant police intervention, in fact on the last day of my school we have a big bonfire of our exercise books "
That's a fucking waste of resources, you should have all been fined.
hicks91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By hicks91
@Gizmo: exercise books, the books we made notes in, and would never be of use to us again 
im not talking about textbooks, these books wouldnt have been use to anyone ever again 

exercise book 

textbook 

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By valrog
@hicks91:  Burning stuff isn't exactly "peaceful". I want to express myself by burning down a forest. Is that okay?

And those other guys burning some other guys' books shouldn't be tolerated, either.
Akrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Akrid

In a better world the one's who would get arrested are the people who kick her ass for being such a bigot.

Well, okay, maybe not for a 15 year-old girl. But you get my meaning. It disappoints me that often bystanders let such things happen. We need more Qu'ran guys.

hicks91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By hicks91
@valrog: it doesnt harm anyone and is a peaceful form of protest, that people of all races and religions use 

burning down a forest is a disingenuous comparison 
Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Gizmo
@hicks91:  

Still a huge fucking waste, heard of recycling?
hicks91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By hicks91
@Gizmo: im sure you recycle absolutely everything possible in your life, and this is what gives you the authority to lecture on some dumb tradition 11 year old school leavers partake on 

you're missing the point of this thread entirely
Osaladin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Osaladin

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By BraveToaster

Meh

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By fattony12000

No Caption Provided
Avatar image for extreme_popcorn
Extreme_Popcorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Extreme_Popcorn
@hicks91 said:
" In Britain there is a town called Woottoon Bassett. This is where the majority of the coffins for wounded servicemen are carried through. The UK believes in freedom of expression and as such we allow this 

this happens week in week out.  Why is tolerance show there, but not towards an obviously confused teenager? "
They have every right to protest but you don't see them burning the Union Jack or the Bible do you? 

It would see that you have some issue with Muslims and don't see that burning their most religious text as a big issue. I think it's terrible that anyone could burn a book, let alone such an important one.  

Also I call bullshit on the "confused teenager" if she is so confused, why is the burning the book, then posting it on facebook? She knew exactly what she was doing it is just a fucking moron who probably supports the BNP and hates Muslims because "they are taking over the country"
Edin899

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Edin899
@valrog said:
" @hicks91:  Yeah, but those books aren't "holy". "
To some people they are, maybe christians dont give a fuck about their religion because they use it as a excuse anyways for alot of things but to alot of muslims its holy. 
People like that are dumb fucking idiots, whats the point in burning the book? Only to offend others,  

I would have liked to see this headline....girl burns quaran and gets beat up after.
Wuddel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Wuddel
@hicks91 said:
" @Wuddel: i dont know about you but speaking as a grown man being arrested would be traumatising can you not imagine what she went through, a totally disproportionate response  "
Well, if you are scared of your police and do not believe that they would treat you fairly, especially if you have no criminal record and do not pose a immediate threat to you and others, then you country might have a whole other set of problems to begin with. That being said, I never dealt with the police (Germany/Switzerland), apart from being a witness or a "victim". 

So, tho correctly judge this I certainly would like to know, how they dealt with her. 

On second thought. Involvement of the police might have been unnecessary, while not disproportional. 
hicks91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By hicks91
@Buck_Sexington: erm yes?? this is anjem choudry's (leader of islam4uk) handy work 

bibles are burnt routinely in saudi arabia, and in some more extremist mosques in britain (not that that means anything i dont get your point) 

i have an issue with all religions, but seeing as Islam is a particularly violent one and expects a lot of special treatment yes i criticize it  

not everyone who doesnt like Islam supports the BNP, stop being spurious 
FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#36  Edited By FancySoapsMan
@hicks91 said:
   bibles are burnt routinely in saudi arabia, and in some more extremist mosques in britain (not that that means anything i dont get your point)  i have an issue with all religions, but seeing as Islam is a particularly violent one and expects a lot of special treatment yes i criticize it   not everyone who doesnt like Islam supports the BNP, stop being spurious  "
that is just plain wrong
hicks91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By hicks91
@FancySoapsMan: oh really? 

Tell me what is the price, according to the Qu'ran, one must pay for apostasy? 
Its not christianity that declares Jews and Hindus "fit for slaughter" 
Muhammed, whether you like it or not, was a very very bad man. He was a warrior, war criminal, and worst of all had sex with a 9 year old girl 
Jrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Jrad

Religion will become nothing more than a subject taught in schools before the end of the century. As it stands right now, most youths don't give a damn about religion and refuse to take dumb thousand-year-old superstitions seriously. Less than 20% of my school is religious. In my gifted class, two years ago? No one there believed in a god.

In developed countries, religion isn't going to be a problem for much longer. Feel free to get pissed off over trivial shit like this now while you still can.

Avatar image for scrumdidlyumptious
Scrumdidlyumptious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's only a book. Just buy a new one or you could even torrent it. There are plenty of seeders.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Scooper
@Jrad said:
" Religion will become nothing more than a subject taught in schools before the end of the century. As it stands right now, most youths don't give a damn about religion and refuse to take dumb thousand-year-old superstitions seriously. Less than 20% of my school is religious. In my gifted class, two years ago? No one there believed in a god.  In developed countries, religion isn't going to be a problem for much longer. Feel free to get pissed off over trivial shit like this now while you still can. "
Well said. As the general public's logical and rational thinking increases, less and less people buy into the religious nonsense.
Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Jimbo

Nobody has a right not to be offended.  I respect the right of others to have their beliefs, but what I won't do is feel obliged to respect what they believe.  I won't respect a point of view - if I would otherwise perceive it to be crazy - just because it forms part of a religion.

Possibly there is other evidence to suggest she was 'inciting hatred', but I don't believe that burning a book is enough on its own to prove that.  If somebody wants to buy a book or a flag and then burn it in protest at what either of those things stand for then they should be able to.  If they're doing so whilst inciting violence agaisnt a group of people then they shouldn't be able to.  

I have felt like burning a Union Jack in protest before, and if I'd been arrested for it then it would only have made me feel more justified in doing so.

Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#42  Edited By Xeiphyer

Got what she deserved. Learn some fucking respect.

Avatar image for extreme_popcorn
Extreme_Popcorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Extreme_Popcorn
@hicks91:  If that group burns Bibles then posts videos of it on Facebook then they should be arrested too. That's the law and no one should be above it no matter their age or religion.  

You should probably look at what you write before you start calling out other people. Closed minded people like you who judge an entire religion by a minority of extremists are the reason that they get so much media attention, if nobody paid attention to them, they would go away or becoming an even smaller minority that no one cares about. You can quote parts of the Qu'ran but it's a book written thousands of years ago and most Muslims, like Christians with the Bible, use it as a guide not as a rule book. 

Extremist Christians have bombed abortion doctors, killed doctors and used extreme methods to intimidate workers at abortion doctors, by your logic all Muslims should judge Christians by this small extreme minority. 
hicks91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By hicks91
@Buck_Sexington: It isnt the law though, and they shouldn't be arrested. 

I dont judge an entire religion by a minority, i judge it by what it's holy book says, a holy book that is said to be the undisputed and exact word of god 
and actually, most Muslims live as such. The biggest Sunni muslim country in the world is a virtual prison state, where there are public stonings, non believers are a second class and women arent even allowed out without a male family member 
Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#45  Edited By MordeaniisChaos
@natetodamax said:
"

The teenager, from the Sandwell district of Birmingham, was filmed on her school premises burning the book. Police have confirmed the incident was reported to the school and the video has since been removed from the social networking site.    

Isn't burning stuff on school property kinda illegal? "
Probably. Depends on the school, the location. But yeah, probably. Burning things just about anywhere not specifically designed for burning stuff is usually illegal actually.

Also, the fact is when you perform hateful acts against a group of people that are not only actively involved in a war against your pals across the pond, particularly when you attack their deepest beliefs, you will have an effect. When that ass hat was threatening to burn the qu'ran stateside and everyone jumped on that bandwagon, it caused a pretty big response in the Muslim world, in fact in Pakistan I believe there were a few deaths in a riot/protest. Ignorance can in fact hurt people, and as someone who has seen people go over seas, I would love to give someone as ignorant as her a piece of my mind. She was being an idiot, displaying her ignorance, and she had consequences coming either way. It's better than letting her go back the the parents that probably are the reason she thinks the Islam world is so dangerous and terrible.
hicks91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By hicks91

i guess im going to disagree with you guys seeing as i think whats written inside the Qu'ran is far more offensive than actually burning the damn thing

audiosnag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By audiosnag

Peaceful protests my ass.
I'd bet my next paycheck that was the last thing on her mind. Probably just some dumbass white teenager who doesn't actually know anything about whats inside the book, trying to get a reaction from people.
Teenagers, for the most part, are morons.

TehJames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By TehJames

Vote British National Party or UK Independence Party in the next election and stop the Muslim that are acusning this girl.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#49  Edited By KaosAngel

...so is Britain not free to public protest or something?

Avatar image for hunkaburningluv
hunkaburningluv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By hunkaburningluv
@hicks91 said:
" http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/nov/25/girl-arrested-allegedly-burning-quran      I honestly despair for Britain sometimes. The full wrath of the law is brought down on a girl for this, yet there are hate preachers abundant in the country, untouchable because of their "human rights". Freedom of expression is the greatest freedom, this girl did nothing to hurt or instruct others to harm anyone yet she gets this. I dont agree with her but damn, she shouldnt have been treated like this "
fucking right the silly bitch should have been charged. 

BUT I agree that the rule should be there and applicable to everyone. IMO, the worst thing we did was agree to follow the EU travesty that's Human Rights.