• 54 results
Posted by NTM (11539 posts) 3 months, 12 days ago

Poll: Gladiator 2 yay or nay? (225 votes)

Yay! 10%
Nay. Nope. 41%
Wait... Ridley Scott is really making a sequel to Gladiator? Okaaaay. 49%

I just heard the news that Ridley Scott is making a sequel to Gladiator. Love the first or hate it, I feel like if there was any movie that didn't really need a sequel, Gladiator is probably one of them. I liked the first fine despite its historical inaccuracies, and Hans Zimmer's soundtrack is phenomenal. I do wonder if he'll be back for the sequel (I doubt it?) I don't know, it just seems really odd to me: perhaps a bad decision on Ridley's part. I imagine it being another one of his other 'historical' or biblical films, where it just kind of falls flat. There isn't a whole lot of news on the film yet, but I thought I'd ask what all your thoughts are on this. Did you like the first, is a sequel really something that people would look forward to?

#1 Posted by devise22 (715 posts) -

I loved the original Gladiator. But like...yeah. Man. I'm really bummed by this news. It won't affect my enjoyment of the original, it's a classic (even if it isn't always accurate) it's still a very powerful film. But it very much was a single story, told. The lack of news on it really makes me wonder what it is.

Like, if it was a sequel only thematically, and it dealt with another character/time period then I'd probably be okay with it? But even then I'd want a different hook. Weird news for sure.

#2 Posted by Vortextk (907 posts) -

One of my all time favorites. I don't think it should ever get a sequel. I would welcome a good movie but...

#3 Posted by csl316 (14924 posts) -

I love Gladiator so yay? But nay because that story was told and wrapped up. Ridley Scott is getting up there in age so I'm hoping the projects he has left in him aren't just cash grabs but something meaningful to him. Like what Clint Eastwood's been doing.

#4 Edited by mozzle (300 posts) -

Seeing how the first one was meh, and the fact that Ridley has yet to make a good movie. I'm going to say no.

Wish Tony was still around.

EDIT - I'm sure you could argue he's made good movies.. But to me, he's the same as Ron Howard. Safe and uninteresting in every regard. The difference being, Ridley is boring, and Howard is comfort food.

Tony Scott was incredible.

#5 Posted by Vortextk (907 posts) -

@mozzle said:

the fact that Ridley has yet to make a good movie.

...Yeaeeaaahhhh....?????

#6 Edited by NTM (11539 posts) -

@mozzle: Alien and Blade Runner are some of the best sci-fi films. His movies now are hit and miss. I feel like in the late 70s, the 80s, and 90s most of his films were well regarded, then in the 2000s it was hit and miss, and now it is even more so.

#7 Edited by Humanity (18488 posts) -

Ridley Scott has made a ton of great movies, just..ehh not recently.. Which is why I would be somewhat nervous about how this might turn out. Not to mention that Gladiator had a perfect story arc but the setting certainly lends itself to more stories.

#8 Edited by ArbitraryWater (15645 posts) -

I dunno if I trust current-day Ridley Scott to make a great Gladiator sequel. Looking at his recent filmography, the only movies of his from the last decade I'd call "well liked" are The Martian and possibly All the Money in the World. Beyond the obvious recent treatment of the Alien franchise, he also directed that bad Russell Crowe Robin Hood film and Exodus: Gods and Kings, which I literally forgot existed until I checked the IMDb page.

That said, I think it takes a lot for any sort of unnecessary sequel to cheapen the original work. Prometheus might've been really dumb, but it doesn't take away from Alien's brilliance. The same will probably hold true for Gladiator.

#9 Edited by mozzle (300 posts) -

He's probably fine at directing actors..

But visuals seem an after thought. Something to hire someone else for.

His shot choices, framing, blocking and compositions are so speratic and varying in quality and coherence between movies. It seems to come down to the quality of his DP.

He is definitely interested in story, but not form.

#10 Posted by soulcake (2559 posts) -

If this is somehow a prequel to Prometheus, sure....

#11 Posted by johnnyspectre (85 posts) -

After Covenant and BR2049 (even as Exec Producer), good GOD no.

#12 Posted by nutter (1810 posts) -

A sequel sounds like a dumb idea.

If nothing else, at least folks are reporting on Nick Cave’s Gladiator 2 script, again. That’s a bananas story and something I’d gladly watch just to see it tried.

Here’s a snipptet about it from a GREAT GQ article on Cave (https://www.gq.com/story/the-love-and-terror-of-nick-cave):

Eventually he came up with a theological story in which the gods blackmail the gladiator Maximus, who begins the movie in purgatory, to kill the followers of a new religion whose rise is making them die off—the religion turns out, of course, to be Christianity. At the same time the gladiator searches for his son. “Gets a bit fucking complicated, actually,” Cave remembers.

Along the way, he honored a very specific request from Crowe, who had told him about an unused scene written for the first movie in which the gladiator was charged by a rhinoceros. “Russell's like, ‘Just fucking imagine fucking two tons of rhino charging at me! What do I do? What do I do?’ And I'm, ‘I don't know, what do you do?’ ” But Crowe wanted his rhino. “He's like, ‘We still have the software for the rhino—put a fucking rhino in there.’ ” So Cave did.

As the film moved toward its close, he says, Maximus finds himself caught in an endless battle, turning up at the Crusades, the World Wars, Vietnam.

#13 Posted by Esteban5XG (12 posts) -

It's a complete nonsense. One of the best movies ever, and this old man wants to earn more money by destroying the original one. The world doesn't need the movie, neither the director.

#14 Posted by AdamALC (274 posts) -

Gladiator ended perfectly for what it was. Maximus got his revenge, and stabilized the Roman Empire to enslave another day.

Avatar image for do_the_manta_ray
#15 Edited by Do_The_Manta_Ray (1627 posts) -

His next film will be "Black Hawk Down 2: Black Hawk Downer"; where they follow the survivors from the first film. Each of which are trying to sue the army, for the PTSD inducing events they suffered, due to the army policy of retrieving the corpses of fallen soldiers at any and all cost of human life. It's gonna' be critical darling. No, really.

#16 Posted by oldenglishc (1538 posts) -

An unnecessary sequel/reboot is only half of the Hollywood equation. What other movies is it going to form an expanded universe with?

#17 Posted by someoneproud (444 posts) -

No thanks, Gladiator's a great film but I can't think of a single positive thing a sequel could add to it. Smells like a shameless cash grab.

#18 Posted by Humanity (18488 posts) -

@mozzle: I would actually say quite the opposite - from all the documentaries I’ve watched his directing of people is sparse but to the point - his vision though is astounding and he creates amazing visuals with beautiful shots.

#19 Posted by nicksmi56 (828 posts) -

I love Gladiator. It's an awesome film.

But I don't have much faith in modern-day Ridley Scott. After the double disappointment from Prometheus and Alien Covenant (ick), I don't have much faith that he can recapture the magic of the first film. I'll wait for reviews, and if it's good I'll go see it with my mother's fiancé who also loves the first film.

But I can't say I have much hope.

#20 Edited by cikame (2649 posts) -

The distance is so great between the first film and this that it's going to feel weird, but i love the first one and i'll gladly watch the sequel if it's good.
If it's bad it won't take anything away from the first.

#21 Edited by liquiddragon (3270 posts) -

What's another bad movie in his filmography at this point? Also, it can't be worse than All the Money in the World or Robin Hood so there is that...

#22 Posted by Zelyre (1898 posts) -

I keep getting excited each time I see the name Nick Cave, followed by disappointment when I realize it is not Nick Cage.

#23 Posted by Brackstone (838 posts) -

If it was the Nick Cave script I'd be interested if only to see how crazy it is on the big screen. It would probably be a trainwreck, but it would be a spectacular one.

Otherwise, I have no faith in modern Ridley Scott. It's become extremely apparent that he can't make a good movie without a good script, and his ability to choose a good script is questionable at the best of times. This is a weird move that seems like he's trying to fight off the bad rep he got from Alien: Covenant by returning to another of his great hits.

#24 Edited by TheRealTurk (418 posts) -

Why do I have this feeling that any sequel will inevitably involve Tom Hardy wearing some sort of mask so he can mumble all of his lines in a barely intelligible manner?

#25 Posted by frytup (1228 posts) -

Love the opening scene of Gladiator. Then I turn it off.

If he wants to make 90 mins of ancient battle scenes, I'll watch it. Just don't bother trying to write a story.

#26 Posted by Veektarius (6402 posts) -

There's probably an interesting story that could be told in the alternative history Rome that exists at the end of Gladiator, without Maximus, but that seems like a highly improbable approach. And yeah, it's amazing that Scott still gets the money he needs to make his movies considering his recent history (barring the Martian).

#27 Posted by nutter (1810 posts) -

@zelyre: @brackstone: I would love to live in a world where instead of absurdly financed mediocre spectacle (like, say, the last five Jurassic Park movies), Hollywood invested into something as batshit insane as Nick Cave’s time/dimension traveling sequel.

If something is going to be huge and dumb, at least make it bananas.

I also just realized that I’d love it if Crank 2 was actually the sequel to a straight-laced action film...

#28 Posted by Drachmalius (553 posts) -

I love the Roman setting but wouldn’t want an actual sequel with Crowe playing the same character. Brand recognition kills creativity.

Avatar image for cursethesemetalhands
#29 Posted by CurseTheseMetalHands (159 posts) -

There was a time when I would've been up for anything Ridley Scott was directing. But that time has passed.

#30 Posted by TheHT (15785 posts) -

I'm assuming the sequel is just gonna be a completely different gladiator story? Fuck, what if it really is a sequel and it's some completely insane underworld shit with Maximus.

Now I'm ready and set for disappointment when we find out it isn't that.

#31 Posted by xanadu (2029 posts) -

@mozzle said:

Seeing how the first one was meh, and the fact that Ridley has yet to make a good movie. I'm going to say no.

EDIT - I'm sure you could argue he's made good movies.. But to me, he's the same as Ron Howard. Safe and uninteresting in every regard. The difference being, Ridley is boring, and Howard is comfort food.

No Caption Provided

Blade Runner is not a good movie?????????????????

#32 Posted by Mmmslash (2245 posts) -

This is slightly off-topic, but has anyone seen that three hour cut of the original?

Boy, is it not an improvement. Most of it is extended scenes of Joaquin Phoenix trying to bone down with his sister, and them some training montages for him (I guess to justify the ending's absurdity).

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
#33 Posted by hippie_genocide (2410 posts) -

Ridley Scott has made some great movies. To say otherwise is as close to being objectively wrong as an opinion can get. Alien and Blade Runner still stand up to this day. That said, I really like Gladiator at the time but don't have any interest in a sequel. His recent track record hasn't been great. I didn't like any of the recent Alien stuff.

#34 Edited by nutter (1810 posts) -

@hippie_genocide: I mean, Ridley Scott had a great run, for a time.

Alien and Blade Runner are all-time classics. Gladiator is great. Hannibal and Black Hawk Down were really good.

#35 Posted by mozzle (300 posts) -

@xanadu said:
@mozzle said:

No Caption Provided

Blade Runner is not a good movie?????????????????

I enjoy Blade Runner. But, I don't think it's all that good. This is a review that I appreciate, as it articulates a lot of my feelings as to why. https://letterboxd.com/ptabro/film/blade-runner/ It's long, and you might not find it worth reading, and that's fair.

#36 Posted by SethMode (1875 posts) -

For one, acting like people disliking Blade Runner is crazy, is absolutely crazy. I like that movie a lot, but it is one of the least watchable classic movies in history (IMO). Either way, Alien, Blade Runner, any of his movies have no real reason to be mentioned when it comes to Gladiator, which is the most critic bait-ish popcorn movie he's made

I don't mind that it will happen, and in some ways it seems like it could be fun if they do it right. Will they? Probably not. It doesn't help that the original hasn't really aged all that well. It's a really great movie, but let's not act like anyone will be like "Remember when you saw Gladiator!?"

#37 Posted by ripelivejam (13073 posts) -

@johnnyspectre: BR 2049 is better than the original don't @ me. (But yeah, that was probably due to Villanueve being at the reins)

#38 Posted by SethMode (1875 posts) -
#39 Edited by NTM (11539 posts) -

@sethmode: That's very true. Like me back in high school, it was a film many could totally fall asleep to (heck, it still kind of is!) That said, while some might not be able to appreciate it because of them sleeping, it doesn't mean it's not a great movie. Back in high school, the slow pace and its story really didn't do it for me, but then you add in the superb, though slow soundtrack it could just put you into a lull. Several years later when I watched it again and paid attention to it, it instantly became one of my all-time favorite films. The atmosphere, the soundtrack as well as the story are all really good, and it's one of the rare movies that you can rewatch multiple times and get more out of it. As for it being rewatchable, I think it's very rewatchable and it still holds up. Playing the movie on a big TV with surround sound going is exceptional.

#40 Edited by NTM (11539 posts) -

@ripelivejam: I liked 2049, but I don't like it as much as the first. The atmosphere (and deliberately made as it was) wasn't quite up there for me. People had left to off-colony worlds, so it felt kind of sad to me and slightly less interesting, where the skyline was basically the same building miles long as opposed to a rain-soaked, vibrant city. It felt realistic in the most dystopian sense, but it also made it a little less enjoyable to me, and Deckard's apartment was much cooler than K's. What was seen when K was in the streets was cool, but I wish there was more of it. Also, while Hans Zimmer's soundtrack was fine, it doesn't quite match Vangelis'. Again though, I liked 2049.

#41 Posted by Humanity (18488 posts) -

Even if this movie never comes out, I appreciate the many hot takes spurred in this here thread as a result of these rumors.

#42 Posted by SethMode (1875 posts) -

@humanity: No offense but, do you know what a hot take is?

#43 Posted by Humanity (18488 posts) -

@sethmode: I do but I assume you must think it means something else? I certainly think that saying Ridley Scott has NEVER made a good movie is what I’d quantify as a “hot take.”

#44 Posted by SethMode (1875 posts) -
#45 Posted by Humanity (18488 posts) -

@sethmode: Your count is correct, that has been said by one person in this thread. Is it not a hot take if it’s said by one person? Admittedly I’m not an expert in the intricies of the word but I’ll gladly broaden my horizons.

#46 Posted by clagnaught (2099 posts) -

Is there any new news about a Gladiator sequel? There was word on the street in the early 2000s that there would be a sequel starring Djimon Hounsou's character, but it went nowhere. Sure Ridley Scott has a track record with Prometheus / Alien Covenant and Blade Runner 2049, but I'm really doubtful of this one.

#47 Posted by SethMode (1875 posts) -

@humanity: Come on dude, we both know your first post implied more than that.

#48 Posted by wollywoo (220 posts) -

It's kind of hard to imagine where they would go with a direct sequel, since Maximus's story is so complete. My guess is that it will be a 'thematic sequel' or a 'spiritual successor' - ie., just another Ancient Rome flick.

Does this mean Hans Zimmer will make a sequel soundtrack? And will it be anywhere near as good as the original? If so, count me in. (For the OST, that is. I don't care about the movie.)

#49 Posted by hermes (2578 posts) -

@wollywoo: I agree. I would feel better if this was another attempt from Scott to revisit the Ancient Rome setting (there are very few swords and sandals movies at the moment), than a direct sequel to Gladiator. This is mostly news to me, but my take is: forget about Maximus and Commodus, set it 100 years in the future (or the past), and have an entirely different protagonist fighting against his fate and with a revenge plot...

#50 Posted by whitegreyblack (1945 posts) -

At this point it becomes increasingly probable that Ridley Scott made the conscious decision that he won't stop until he's taken a large stinky dump on all of his previous work.