#51  Edited By infect999
Azteris said:
"infect999 said:
"Azteris said:
"infect999 said:
"henjin said:
"infect999 said:
"henjin said:
"Well I know that the sun is stronger than ever, because it feels too hot. It never did before....Damn people destroying the ozone layer....Im talking to you people from the 70-80's! Releasing chloroflurocarbons into the atmosphere!
"
that's the power of suggestion, buddy. also, its summer, so obviously it's going to get hot.
"
Well yes, but not this hot....Plus, long ago, you would never ever see spf 45 sun screen it was always in the lower ones like 15.
Also, you can't deny the ozone layer has been depleting.
"

the whole ozone thing is a different subject than global warming. And its really been an overall cool summer so far. In fact, I just realized today it hasn't even reached 90 yet in my area. Not to mention we had one of the coldest and snowiest winters in ages."

Don't use 'your area' as a measure for whether or not global warming is a worthwhile theory."

Much of the world has seen the same thing as where I live."
And you know this how?
"
I pay attention to the weather
normajean777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#52  Edited By normajean777
infect999 said:
"Azteris said:
"infect999 said:
"henjin said:
"infect999 said:
"henjin said:
"Well I know that the sun is stronger than ever, because it feels too hot. It never did before....Damn people destroying the ozone layer....Im talking to you people from the 70-80's! Releasing chloroflurocarbons into the atmosphere!
"
that's the power of suggestion, buddy. also, its summer, so obviously it's going to get hot.
"
Well yes, but not this hot....Plus, long ago, you would never ever see spf 45 sun screen it was always in the lower ones like 15.
"

the whole ozone thing is a different subject than global warming. And its really been an overall cool summer so far. In fact, I just realized today it hasn't even reached 90 yet in my area. Not to mention we had one of the coldest and snowiest winters in ages."

Don't use 'your area' as a measure for whether or not global warming is a worthwhile theory."

yeah that is true texas had a abnormally long winter and now its just starting to get hot but as to the debate eh i do not think it is real but that does not mean we do not need to clean up our enviornment.
azteris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By azteris
infect999 said:
"Azteris said:
"infect999 said:
"Azteris said:
"infect999 said:
"henjin said:
"infect999 said:
"henjin said:
"
"
"

And you know this how?
"
"

Oh so you know the average for the past few decades for the entire Earth. My bad.
TheBrainSquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By TheBrainSquid

Actually, a science teacher made a video for youtube about thinking of it as risk management instead of whether or not it actually exists.   Its kind of corny but it makes more sense than arguing over whether or not "global warming" exists because if it does happen all that arguing is useless when we're stuck with the consequences.  No one is infallable but taking the lesser risk is more important than taking no action at all because there are "debates".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mF_anaVcCXg

infect999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#55  Edited By infect999
Azteris said:
"infect999 said:
"Azteris said:
"infect999 said:
"Azteris said:
"infect999 said:
"henjin said:
"infect999 said:
"henjin said:
"
"
"

And you know this how?
"
"

Oh so you know the average for the past few decades for the entire Earth. My bad."

Did I say that? Don't put words in my mouth.
carzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#56  Edited By carzy

lolz

azteris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By azteris
infect999 said:
"Azteris said:
"infect999 said:
"Azteris said:
"infect999 said:
"Azteris said:
"infect999 said:
"henjin said:
"infect999 said:
"henjin said:
"
"
"

And you know this how?
"
"

Oh so you know the average for the past few decades for the entire Earth. My bad."

Did I say that? Don't put words in my mouth."

Well you acted like watching the weather channel meant you could say that the entire Earth was experiencing a year that proved global warming wrong. You couldn't do this without knowing the average for all these places for the past few decades to graph a trend. I was just putting what would make your statement intelligent.
henjin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By henjin
infect999 said:
"henjin said:
"infect999 said:
"henjin said:
"
"
"

Ah, but you see as more radiation from the sun comes in because of the depleted ozone layer, that means more land will be getting the heat and absorbing it, and apperently since the icecaps are melting, that means even less of the sun's rays are being reflected off into space. Also, the Earth's general temperature has been increasing in the past century, if I remember correctly, which could lead to milder winters in the north. Now If we have milder winters in the north, that would result in less snow staying on the ground for a smaller amount of time. Now if this happens, then the rays from the sun that were supposed to be deflected due to the snow will also be absorbed. Considering all of these factors, yes you  could say global warming is happening, just not all CO2 and other greenhouse gasses' fault entirely. They contribute.
I don't know, perhaps.
Avatar image for green_incarnate
Green_Incarnate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#59  Edited By Green_Incarnate

The vid is 100% true. The world is warming up, but humans aren't the cause. There's nothing we can do to stop it. Even if humans completely stopped emitting CO2, it wouldn't do enough to counteract any global warming.

OGCartman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#60  Edited By OGCartman

OMG Glaciers r gonna melt in 1904283593978349759835789652364234236 years!
TAKE COVER!

Batman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Batman
lordofultima said:
"How can you not believe in global warming? Isn't this sort of a fact?
"
I think it might be fact that the planet is getting warmer, but I don't think that humans had or can do anything about it.
WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#62  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

Global warming isn't real? its a natural cycle of the earth...Cause last I checked the polar ice caps melting, most of the northern hempispheres glaciers melting, and expecting an iceless summer in the artic were fact...

Its funny the anti global warming people cannot prove that global warming isn't happening and then say the pro global warmers haven't proved it.
the closest thing the anti ones have is data that says the ice melted up north before...yet in the time span of what 500-1000 years? the ice up north now is melting in what? 100 yearS? time span? lol oh well we can just say when the east coast is underwater, we told you so.

duffman1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#63  Edited By duffman1990

No one knows for certain that global warming is true. Both sides are very possible and reasonable. Lets just say its 50/50 if global warming is true or not.

Global warming is true and we do nothing - we're fucked
Global warming is true and we do something - we're good and dont have all the smoggy bullshit nasty cities

Global warming is false and we do nothing - its all good
Global Warming is false and we do something - clean up the smoggy cities, waste some cash

Who here is willing to take a gamble over potentially wasting some money (would still have cleaner cities) or potentially fucking the planet over?

azteris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By azteris
duffman1990 said:
"No one knows for certain that global warming is true. Both sides are very possible and reasonable. Lets just say its 50/50 if global warming is true or not.

Global warming is true and we do something - we're good and dont have all the smoggy bullshit nasty cities

Global Warming is false and we do something - clean up the smoggy cities, waste some cash

Who here is willing to take a gamble over potentially wasting some money (would still have cleaner cities) or potentially fucking the planet over?
"

Excellent point.
ParanoidFreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By ParanoidFreak

I believe in global warming, but a lot of people don't know that 60 years ago it was popular belief that the world was going into another ice age.

Batman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Batman
Azteris said:
"duffman1990 said:
"No one knows for certain that global warming is true. Both sides are very possible and reasonable. Lets just say its 50/50 if global warming is true or not.

"

Excellent point."
Agreed, it is better to be safe than sorry.  But I really don't think there is anything we can do if its true.
Avatar image for deactivated-579a5a254c9a3
deactivated-579a5a254c9a3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

infect999 said:
"lordofultima said:
"How can you not believe in global warming? Isn't this sort of a fact?
"

It's not fact. It's a bunch of retards making a big deal about a natural cycle of the earth."
Completely 100% agreed.
azteris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By azteris
Batman said:
"Azteris said:
"duffman1990 said:

"

Excellent point."
Agreed, it is better to be safe than sorry.  But I really don't think there is anything we can do if its true.
"

Nothing we can do? Why is that?
Batman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Batman
Azteris said:
"Batman said:
"Azteris said:
"duffman1990 said:

"

Excellent point."
"

Nothing we can do? Why is that?"
To me it just seems as if Global Warming is just a course of nature.  Like the Ice Age for example.  I don't really think it has anything to do with us driving gas guzzlers and what not.  I might be wrong, but its just my opinion.
azteris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By azteris
Have you read any of the studies that say we are speeding it up? How do you discredit them?
filiwian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 2

#71  Edited By filiwian
I don't know what to believe anymore since the media has way of "turning people into sheep". For me I somewhat believe in Global Warming and the other half I don't  for various reasons.
Batman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Batman
Azteris said:
"Have you read any of the studies that say we are speeding it up? How do you discredit them?"
Yeah I've read them, but I've also heard the other sides of the story and it just seems more plausible.  It all kind of seems far fetched. I'm wrong about this kind of stuff 85% of the time, so what does that tell you?  Like I said its better safe then sorry, so I am happy that we are doing something about it for a worse case scenario.
azteris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By azteris
Batman said:
"Azteris said:
"Have you read any of the studies that say we are speeding it up? How do you discredit them?"
Yeah I've read them, but I've also heard the other sides of the story and it just seems more plausible.  I'm wrong about this kind of stuff 85% of the time, so what does that tell you?  Like I said its better safe then sorry, so I am happy that we are doing something about it for a worse case scenario.
"

We are doing very little, duffman just said we should do something.
azteris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By azteris
filiwian said:
"I don't know what to believe anymore since the media has way of "turning people into sheep". For me I somewhat believe in Global Warming and the other half I don't  for various reasons. "

While I agree you have to realize there is bias in everything (to varying degrees of course), you can't discredit the media as a whole. Where else would you find out about anything?
Mrnitropb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#75  Edited By Mrnitropb

anyone here from Greenland? Mind sticking your head outside, see if your backyard is melting?

duffman1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By duffman1990
Azteris said:
"Batman said:
"Azteris said:
Yeah I've read them, but I've also heard the other sides of the story and it just seems more plausible.  I'm wrong about this kind of stuff 85% of the time, so what does that tell you?  Like I said its better safe then sorry, so I am happy that we are doing something about it for a worse case scenario.
"

We are doing very little, duffman just said we should do something."
Because if i say we should do something - like fuck the money going to iraq send that cash to research alternate fuels/electricity and me - I am like Jesus, if you dont listen to me you will go down in history as being a fuckup.
justinnotjason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By justinnotjason
What it comes down too is that you can't prove a negative. It's easier to prove that Global Warming is happening then that it isn't. I have no problem with either side of the argument because I'm on the fence. I just hate people buying into Al Gore's crap. Alot of scientists who believe in Global Warming don't subscribe to Al Gore's theory and scare tactics. Meanwhile Gore's making a tidy little profit on this hysteria. Carbon Credits?! WTF is that shit. Seriously who's going to pollute and then buy "credits" and think it's all alright.Whether you believe in Global warming or not, the fact is:We need to get off our reliance on Oil. Now I'm not saying foriegn oil because it doesn't matter where you are or your oil comes from, it won't last forever, and it's not readily availible to all people to produce so it's a very cornered market.A big problem is, most debates are fueled by two extremes. You have the people who belong to Gore's party who believe the world's going to end tomorrow and that we're doomed. And then the oil company produced science saying it's cool. But there's middle ground that's never covered and it's rediculous.I have an interesting article from CNN Money talking about how the argument against global warming was just as strong as for, unfortunately it was taken down. I have it printed out so if I ever get it scanned I'll post it.
carzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By carzy
clarke0 said:
"Global warming has sped up drastically thanks to increasing human carbon dioxide emissions. It's scientific fact that CO2 traps heat and warms the atmosphere. The current rate of global warming being a natural occurrence is what I like to call, bullshit.
"
we produce only about 3percent of the co2 that goes up into the atmosphere so its not nearly as big of a deal as you think
Avatar image for americanpegasus
AmericanPegasus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By AmericanPegasus

Regardless if global warming is real, what we do know for a fact is that at the current rate we're using oil and natural resources, is not good for the planet, which is turn is not good for us. Oil is not a renewable resource, and we will run out. And when we do, we better have a plan or airplanes, and other things are going to be a thing of the past.

I believe that we'll find a way though, I mean for all the bad humans do, we do have some of the brightest minds in the world working on the problem, and look how far we've come in 500 years.

The biggest problem is companies like China, and India, which huge population, and huge growth. Which provides a pretty big problem emission wise.

Global warming doesn't have to be real for us to note that we need to take steps to cut of our heavy dependence on foreign oil.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#80  Edited By Milkman

Global warming is a natural process. The only thing we are doing is speeding it up. Global warming would be happening with or without humans.

carzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By carzy

why would we spend all that money on different sources of energy when we can spend it on sweet tactical air strikes in Iraq???

carzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By carzy
Azteris said:
"filiwian said:
"I don't know what to believe anymore since the media has way of "turning people into sheep". For me I somewhat believe in Global Warming and the other half I don't  for various reasons. "

While I agree you have to realize there is bias in everything (to varying degrees of course), you can't discredit the media as a whole. Where else would you find out about anything? "
internets????
Avatar image for americanpegasus
AmericanPegasus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By AmericanPegasus
carzy said:
"why would we spend all that money on different sources of energy when we can spend it on sweet tactical air strikes in Iraq???
"
Helmets...everywhere.
Homer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By Homer

GLOBAL WARMING ISN'T REAL RAAAA

carzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By carzy
AmericanPegasus said:
"carzy said:
"why would we spend all that money on different sources of energy when we can spend it on sweet tactical air strikes in Iraq???
"
Helmets...everywhere.
"
......jerk
CB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By CB

I've heard that during the industrial age it seemed as there was global "cooling" and people were blaming the pollution then. Now is global warming real? Yes. Are we causing it? That's what I'm split at.

azteris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By azteris
carzy said:
"Azteris said:
"filiwian said:

While I agree you have to realize there is bias in everything (to varying degrees of course), you can't discredit the media as a whole. Where else would you find out about anything? "
internets????
"

and where on the internet? Media websites?
Black_Raven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By Black_Raven

Im not a scientist so i cant say whether global warming is real or not.

filiwian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By filiwian
Azteris said:
"filiwian said:

I don't discredit the media as a whole but the only thing I rely on these days are the people that can actually support their facts scientifically rather than useless ranting of how things will end up in the future just because someone famous says so. In my opinion people are just too gullible these days and have to really think about what they're listening to.
azteris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By azteris
filiwian said:
"Azteris said:
"filiwian said:

I don't discredit the media as a whole but the only thing I rely on these days are the people that can actually support their facts scientifically rather than useless ranting of how things will end up in the future just because someone famous says so. In my opinion people are just too gullible these days and have to really think about what they're listening to. "

I just don't understand this batshit crazy viewpoint you have. Where else would you get news? You have to watch it on some type of media tv channel or read on some type of website. The info just doesn't appear in front of you.
Patchinko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By Patchinko
duffman1990 said:

"
Pascal's Wager is the single best justification for doing something about global climate change. There is no effective argument against it.

Best part is, you can really shove it down right-wing religious nuts' throats by explaining to them precisely what Pascal's Wager was. :}
atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By atejas
Azteris said:
"filiwian said:
"Azteris said:
"filiwian said:

I don't discredit the media as a whole but the only thing I rely on these days are the people that can actually support their facts scientifically rather than useless ranting of how things will end up in the future just because someone famous says so. In my opinion people are just too gullible these days and have to really think about what they're listening to. "

I just don't understand this batshit crazy viewpoint you have. Where else would you get news? You have to watch it on some type of media tv channel or read on some type of website. The info just doesn't appear in front of you."

I think he means cited scientific study presented by climatologist>Inconvenient Truth
Patchinko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By Patchinko
atejas said:
"Azteris said:
"filiwian said:
"Azteris said:
"filiwian said:

I just don't understand this batshit crazy viewpoint you have. Where else would you get news? You have to watch it on some type of media tv channel or read on some type of website. The info just doesn't appear in front of you."

I think he means cited scientific study presented by climatologist>Inconvenient Truth"
Problem is, unless you're a climatologists yourself, you're not really qualified to scrutinize a scientific study by a climatologist.
atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By atejas
Patchinko said:
"atejas said:
"Azteris said:
"filiwian said:
"Azteris said:
"filiwian said:

I think he means cited scientific study presented by climatologist>Inconvenient Truth"
Problem is, unless you're a climatologists yourself, you're not really qualified to scrutinize a scientific study by a climatologist.
"
you're not qualified to scrutinize quantitative data produced by a study, but when publishing or persenting, scientists tend to go 'statistic x shows phenomenon y' . I think that they would be trustworthy. While I agree with the premise of shifting to alternate energy solutions, I think the media is blowing it out of proportion.

filiwian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By filiwian
Azteris said:
"filiwian said:
"Azteris said:
"filiwian said:

I never said that I don't watch the media, I do. I'm just stating that the media tends to mislead people sometimes and do the thinking for the people when the people should do the thinking for themselves. One example would be the McCain ad that he has against Barack Obama, different types of media say that McCain is better because of his past experience while others say that Obama is better simply because they really think he can make a difference. If you read my first comment I state my opinions on for "various reasons". 
yorro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#96  Edited By yorro

First thing, don't use your area's seasonal temperature to measure if there is really a global warming. Because some areas are not yet effected.
Second, not all things in media are false.

If global warming isn't real then why is it hot as hell up in here?, we actually did some measurements and it is actually hotter than the last ten years.

I guess for NOreason, irrelevant, and just pure coincidence that;

• Most tropical areas are hotter than ever.
  • Heavier downpour of rains.
  • Melting of glaciers.
When did those things mentioned happened the last time?

Actually from where I live. We already had our fifth tropical storm this season(yes it's raining right now). When I was just a child(ten years ago), the frequency of storms was just 1 or 2 after September, now we have hit our 5th storm just in the late July. And I guess it's just coincidence too.

Global Warming or Not, it's better to clean up the air and sea for some stupid reason. Cause either way we won't loose anything.

" A person who aims at nothing is sure to hit it "

azteris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By azteris
filiwian said:
"Azteris said:
"filiwian said:
"Azteris said:
"filiwian said:

I never said that I don't watch the media, I do. I'm just stating that the media tends to mislead people sometimes and do the thinking for the people when the people should do the thinking for themselves. One example would be the McCain ad that he has against Barack Obama, different types of media say that McCain is better because of his past experience while others say that Obama is better simply because they really think he can make a difference. If you read my first comment I state my opinions on for "various reasons". "

Which are?
filiwian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By filiwian

Lol, i can't list them all.

azteris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By azteris
Try. I bet it will be easier than you think.
filiwian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By filiwian
I think I already summarized it anyways on my third comment, besides which subject would you want me to state my opinions on.