Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By colourful_hippie

Looks like Washington and Colorado legalized "da kush brah"......so that's cool. I figured California would be the first to do so. I wonder what the federal government will do now that this happened. Maybe the DEA will do occasional raids in those states just to be dicks.

How do you guys feel about all this? You can read more about it here

murisan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By murisan

Or don't if you still want your job at your place of work that randomly drug tests because it's still a fire-at-will state (CO)

matti00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By matti00

This guy cares about politics.

Synaptic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Synaptic

@x0mb13 said:

I think it's awesome but unlikely to be sustained. I imagine big daddy federal government will shut it down asap, you know for our saftey... So have another beer and cigarette, the taxable safe way to enjoy your freedom.

I think one of the big reasons it's not legalized is that it's a massive judicial headache. Creating new laws for legal marijuana use and fitting it into existing laws where it can, defining where it doesn't etc would be a huge pain in the ass.

cyraxible

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By cyraxible

I dislike it because of the overall harsher penalties and how it will attract attention to Washington overall. Colorado's law is more sensible as far as I know.

The Fed won't let it just happen without starving the states of funding and having a larger DEA presence. I can't imagine the law will remain in it's current form for too long.

People really fucked up in Washington by not paying attention to the law and going "oh, legal weed? Hell yeah, brah"

Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#7  Edited By Atlas

WARNING: British person about to talk about American society and politics...

It kinda seems like a silly idea, legalising it on a state level. Doesn't this just mean that Colorado and Washington are going to be inundated with potheads and undesirables - the very worst elements of 420 culture. If you're going to make a change, it makes more sense to me to do it on a national level. I understand that the complex nature of American state politics makes this unrealistic, but still, isn't there a way it could work as a national initiative?

Anyway, in principal I feel about marijuana is pretty much the same way I feel about other narcotics and prostitution. I do not take drugs, and I have zero love of drug culture, but in free countries in which we allow people to intoxicate and kill themselves with tobacco and alcohol, why not also legalise marijuana, which some studies suggest is less harmful than booze and cigarettes and even has positive medicinal purposes? The US government spends an absurd amount of money on the war against drugs, money which could be spent on education, healthcare, social programs, and balancing the budget if it was legalised, regulated and controlled by the state. As for prostitution, wouldn't legalising and controlling the industry mean it would be less corrupted by human trafficking and other human rights abuses? At least prostitution is mostly harmless for those who choose to indulge in it, except for the possibility of contracting an STD.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8  Edited By Oldirtybearon

@Atlas said:

It kinda seems like a silly idea, legalising it on a state level. Doesn't this just mean that Colorado and Washington are going to be inundated with potheads and undesirables - the very worst elements of 420 culture. If you're going to make a change, it makes more sense to me to do it on a national level. I understand that the complex nature of American state politics makes this unrealistic, but still, isn't there a way it could work as a national initiative?

Anyway, in principal I feel about marijuana is pretty much the same way I feel about other narcotics and prostitution. I do not take drugs, and I have zero love of drug culture, but in free countries in which we allow people to intoxicate and kill themselves with tobacco and alcohol, why not also legalise marijuana, which some studies suggest is less harmful than booze and cigarettes and even has positive medicinal purposes? The US government spends an absurd amount of money on the war against drugs, money which could be spent on education, healthcare, social programs, and balancing the budget if it was legalised, regulated and controlled by the state. As for prostitution, wouldn't legalising and controlling the industry mean it would be less corrupted by human trafficking and other human rights abuses? At least prostitution is mostly harmless for those who choose to indulge in it, except for the possibility of contracting an STD.

ssshhhh, you're making too much sense.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By JasonR86

I voted for it because I like the idea of the State making money off of taxing a product that will be bought and sold regardless. But my fellow citizens also appear, so far anyway, to have voted to approve a tax increase because we apparently just love paying as high of taxes as is possible and also really like the idea of our state spending and borrowing as much as possible by keeping our currently increased debt limit at a higher rate.

Fuck.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By Hunter5024

Cool that the pre existing stoners can indulge in their habit without fear of prosecution, but weeds shitty in enough subtle ways that it can ruin your life without letting you know it's doing it, and I seriously hope legalizing it doesn't draw more people into the hobby.

murisan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By murisan

@Hunter5024 said:

Cool that the pre existing stoners can indulge in their habit without fear of prosecution, but weeds shitty in enough subtle ways that it can ruin your life without letting you know it's doing it, and I seriously hope legalizing it doesn't draw more people into the hobby.

lolwut? Guess what else is shitty in subtle ways? Beer. Liquor. Wine. Cigarettes. And they're shitty in NOT so subtle ways, too. Not sure where you've attained your perception of marijuana, but I'm sorry you think it can ruin a life.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#12  Edited By Phatmac

About time.

murisan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By murisan

@cyraxible said:

I dislike it because of the overall harsher penalties and how it will attract attention to Washington overall. Colorado's law is more sensible as far as I know.

The Fed won't let it just happen without starving the states of funding and having a larger DEA presence. I can't imagine the law will remain in it's current form for too long.

People really fucked up in Washington by not paying attention to the law and going "oh, legal weed? Hell yeah, brah"

And the states should stick to their guns. Utilize the tax revenue to make up for the funding cuts (if the fedgov really decides to be that fucking petty and stupid about this) and make a stand for state's rights as well as competent drug policy. Not to mention the fines they'll get from people who don't bother to read the law and break it. For every push the federal government gives against these changes, the states should redouble their efforts and push back.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Hunter5024

@murisan said:

@Hunter5024 said:

lolwut? Guess what else is shitty in subtle ways? Beer. Liquor. Wine. Cigarettes. And they're shitty in NOT so subtle ways, too. Not sure where you've attained your perception of marijuana, but I'm sorry you think it can ruin a life.

Did it sound like I was defending those drugs at all? Half my family and my best friend have all been stoners to the point where they have to smoke multiple times every day at different points in their lives, and my father has a master's degree in drug rehabilitation counseling, I know plenty about marijuana.

Franstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Franstone

Mass passed the same law as well.

I see no point in keeping something less dangerous than alcohol illegal.

We should grow it and tax it and stop spending billions in fighting a war that will never be won.

If you still believe the demonized untruths about marijuana from the 50s than you are clearly a fool.

I have never seen anyone argue the fact that it has been said that marijuana was made illegal because of the threat it creates on existing business that some crooked bastards in power has their pockets in.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By kindgineer

I'll never agree that it should be legalized, but I do believe it should be de-criminalized. It's a sad day when someone smoking pot can get the same indictment as a pedophile. I detest any sort of non-medical required drug that renders an individual useless. I have a friend who smokes said plant and I know that I can never truly rely on him if I ever needed help with an emergency. It's a crappy feeling.

Other than that, I could care less. As long as it doesn't become legal to smoke weed before work or drive while intoxicated, let people waste money on whatever they would like.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17  Edited By Animasta

@JasonR86: dude don't you live in washington? you should know this stuff by now.

also yay for those states (also yay for gay marriage)

Avatar image for addictedtopinescent
addictedtopinescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Franstone: Massachusetts legalized it only for medicinal purposes I think, Colorado and Washington is for recreational use.

Both are a step in the right direction in my opinion. Regardless of your actual opinion on recreational drug use, the war on drugs has been a massive fail and expensive as fuck, not to mention the cost of keeping a bunch of stoners in prisons.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By kindgineer

@murisan: I'll never understand the mentality that "they're doing it, why can't we!" Sounds like a child's argument. I don't drink, smoke, commit adultery, so trust me that people are out there that are just understanding this is inevitable. Not embracing it like it's some sort of God-send.

Franstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Franstone

@addictedtopinescent: I thought that's what the OP was talking about.

Yes, for medical use, but it is decriminalized here as well.

TeamJersey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By TeamJersey

@Atlas: You have to be a resident of the state to purchase it legally, so I am sure there will be some idiots that move there for "the bud", but I doubt inundation will occur.

At any rate, I think it has to be this way on a state to state level, because federally the law won't change for a while. However the more states that stand up and say it's ok to have the mary jane will just allow for the feds to eventually be forced to be ok with it. Eventually so many tax dollars will be fueled into the the states governments from the legal sale of weed that it would cripple their systems if the feds tried to take it away.

It is all so stupid anyway. It's just a damned plant.

Loafsmooch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Loafsmooch

@ck1nd said:

I'll never agree that it should be legalized, but I do believe it should be de-criminalized. It's a sad day when someone smoking pot can get the same indictment as a pedophile. I detest any sort of non-medical required drug that renders an individual useless. I have a friend who smokes said plant and I know that I can never truly rely on him if I ever needed help with an emergency. It's a crappy feeling.

Other than that, I could care less. As long as it doesn't become legal to smoke weed before work or drive while intoxicated, let people waste money on whatever they would like.

Actually, driving while high on weed doesn't make you a worse driver, I've done it hundreds of times. Unless you're getting high for like the first time or so.

colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By colourful_hippie

@matti00 said:

Hard to care when Congress will continue to be gridlocked and it's no fun at all to constantly hear about the election over two shit candidates. At least that part of things is over now. @murisan said:

@Hunter5024 said:

Beat me to it, but I would prefer if the thread will stay away from the stupid arguments over the dangerous misconceptions of marijuana. Been there done that, if someone wants to believe it's just as or more dangerous than alcohol/cigs then they can go right ahead. Just don't try to feed me that horseshit.

murisan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By murisan

@ck1nd said:

@murisan: I'll never understand the mentality that "they're doing it, why can't we!" Sounds like a child's argument. I don't drink, smoke, commit adultery, so trust me that people are out there that are just understanding this is inevitable. Not embracing it like it's some sort of God-send.

Huh? That wasn't my argument. My argument is that marijuana is not physically addictive, is not physically harmful, and does not cause people to do foolish things. In other words, I think it's a far safer intoxicant than alcohol.

I don't even really understand what you just said. Totally irrelevant, actually.

Franstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Franstone

@ck1nd: That doesn't sound like a very good "friend."

That is a character trait, not a result of smoking marijuana.

Just about everyone I know or have known smokes weed. (and many who do not)

Some I could depend on, some I can't, because they are just people, not because they are or are not pot-heads.

I have been in situations where I've needed help from certain friends (yes pot smoking friends) and they have done nothing short of what I expect out of a good friend.

Sounds like you need to find a new friend.

I could drive to work backwards with a joint hanging out of my mouth and I'd make it to work and still be more helpful, friendlier, and harder working than most.

And the guy down the hall who is a raging alcoholic that cheats on his wife has no worries about ever taking a drug test. (yet people will still respect due to their position in power)

murisan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By murisan

@Hunter5024 said:

@murisan said:

@Hunter5024 said:

Did it sound like I was defending those drugs at all? Half my family and my best friend have all been stoners to the point where they have to smoke multiple times every day at different points in their lives, and my father has a master's degree in drug rehabilitation counseling, I know plenty about marijuana.

No, but you were condemning marijuana as if it were a dangerous drug. Sorry to burst your bubble, but it's about as benign as going to an oxygen bar. I'd love to hear some stories of your father rehabilitating marijuana addicts, though, I hear the withdrawals are terrible. /s

Franstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Franstone

@Colourful_Hippie said:

@matti00 said:

Hard to care when Congress will continue to be gridlocked and it's no fun at all to constantly hear about the election over two shit candidates. At least that part of things is over now. @murisan said:

@Hunter5024 said:

Beat me to it, but I would prefer if the thread will stay away from the stupid arguments over the dangerous misconceptions of marijuana. Been there done that, if someone wants to believe it's just as or more dangerous than alcohol/cigs then they can go right ahead. Just don't try to feed me that horseshit.

I'm not here to argue but give me one good reason why marijuana is more dangerous than alcohol or prescription drugs.

Clearly you have no experience in the matter.

commonoutlier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By commonoutlier

@Atlas said:

Even though I disapprove of smoking of any sort, consumption of any alcoholic beverages, and prostitution, this sounds to be the most logical proposal (although obviously its probably not as simple as that, too). And with the prostitution, typically where it is legal, they are required to have health checkups (so I've heard, and it it makes sense), meaning that the profession isn't as dangerous for the individual who chooses it as opposed to places where it is illegal. So long as people engage in such activities carefully, in the safest way possible, and without violating other people's rights (since when you smoke in public in a crowd of people, you violate other people's rights to not smoke)...legalization does seem like a better solution. And if anything, as you did, just tell Americans it can save them money, and they'll definitely consider it. Maybe. There are a lot of stupid forces at work in American politics, but at least stupidity did not prevail in the most recent election.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Hunter5024

@murisan said:

@Hunter5024 said:

@murisan said:

@Hunter5024 said:

No, but you were condemning marijuana as if it were a dangerous drug. Sorry to burst your bubble, but it's about as benign as going to an oxygen bar. I'd love to hear some stories of your father rehabilitating marijuana addicts, though, I hear the withdrawals are terrible. /s

I never said it was dangerous, that would imply it can kill you which everyone knows it cannot. I said it can ruin your life, and from my perspective having a drug that saps you of all of your ambition, leaves you content with whatever situation you're in no matter how shitty it is, and makes you act like an insolent baby when you go away from it, I'd count that as a life pretty much ruined. And I'm basing that off of the dozens of people I know who smoke every day, not speculation. I only mentioned my dads degree because he's taught me about a lot of the chemical effects that even relatively harmless drugs like marijuana have on your mind in the long term. And because he was a giant pothead for the majority of his life, and has heard and voiced any argument in defense of the drug that you can possibly think of, I think it says a lot that he's the one who taught me that stuff.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#30  Edited By Dagbiker
@Atlas if you think that Washington or Colorado isn't already full of undesirables then you are misinformed.
Scullinator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Scullinator

@Atlas said:

What you say? I couldn't understand you cause of your funny accent.

Levio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#32  Edited By Levio

@murisan said:

No, but you were condemning marijuana as if it were a dangerous drug. Sorry to burst your bubble, but it's about as benign as going to an oxygen bar.

Actually, smoking pot is terrible for your lungs. I don't know why people assume it somehow doesn't cause lung problems when tobacco does. You don't have to smoke it of course, nor do you have to smoke it as often as cigs, but don't expect the average user to put forth any kind of additional effort to maintain their lungs' health.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By MikkaQ

@Atlas said:

It kinda seems like a silly idea, legalising it on a state level.

It's kinda truer to the whole "point" of the US, that laws like these are decided on a state-by-state basis. What's silly is that there is a federal position on weed, that it is illegal. Which means state and federal law are in conflict, which always drives me nuts. Though for almost all practical purposes state law is going to affect individuals more. The DEA won't go after one pothead in a state that decriminalized or legalized it, but they might (and have) go for the distributors that are legal in the state, but not on a federal level.

Flawed_System

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Flawed_System

Giving it to cancer patients is fine. Recreational use should remain illegal.

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#35  Edited By pyromagnestir

Get out of here, you hippie! Go to Colorado!

(I'll meet you there.)

Oh, and they are still illegal on the federal level, so as the governor of the state said, don't break out the Cheetos or Goldfish just yet.

SpartyOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By SpartyOn

Whatever, as long as it's against federal law, the states wont have the guts to allow anything too drastic. The feds could up and roll in on a state if anything went bad and arrest anyone enjoying in their new "right". Probably wouldn't happen because of financial concerns, but still the point stands: Until the federal government approves it, stories like these are just a fraction of 50 steps that need to be taken.

Zajtalan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Zajtalan

i'll roll a fatty right hurr amirite lol

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

When did this website become Giant Bong! (I know, pretty lame. It's 8 am and I'm hiked up on coffee.)

- In all seriousness I just got to wonder now that pot is legalized in these states what fall out will come of this. Such as how much the government is going to be taxing and if licensed marijuana shops will be the only place to purchase them. I'm interested cause there's got to be some repercussions that come with this. I guess we'll just have to wait and see how this will pan out and if the domino's will fall in other states passing legalization in the next elections.

BTW now that two more states have legalized marijuana can we now see more attempts for breaking the world record for Largest Bong smoked.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#39  Edited By JasonR86

@Animasta said:

@JasonR86: dude don't you live in washington? you should know this stuff by now.

also yay for those states (also yay for gay marriage)

I know. It's just me chasing fool's gold again.

Also I am happy about the gay marriage thing too. At least something I wanted happened the way I planned.

@Dagbiker said:

@Atlas if you think that Washington or Colorado isn't already full of undesirables then you are misinformed.

I know right? Just look at me.

RIDEBIRD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

#40  Edited By RIDEBIRD

A nice big step forward I'd say, but yeah, I guess the DEA will just smack it down and be unreasonable about it. I thought the whole idea of the US was to allow states a good measure of freedom.. Judging by California that isn't really the case in this issue. WAR ON DRUGS WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGHHHHHHHH

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By ghost_cat

Domino's and Papa John's Pizza must be flooded with orders.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By laserbolts

Good to hear! I haven't touched it in ages but it's fucking stupid that it was illegal there to begin with. Sounds like some people are finally growing a brain in government.

Franstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Franstone

@Levio: Just because something might not be completely healthy for you doesn't mean it should be illegal.

If you think of it that way than cigarettes, cigars, and pipe tobacco should be illegal.

Hell, they should start pulling people over after leaving the McDonalds drive-through.

They should build cars that only go 60 MPH since speeding is bad for your health/safety.

Alcohol destroys your liver, makes you fat, never mind all the other health risks/dependencies and you most likely feel horrible the next day. (I'm not anti-alcohol either btw)

You might as well outlaw mountain biking because I put my health at risk every time I fly down a trail full of roots, rocks, jumps, and drop-offs.

It should be up to the individual if they want to take these risks, not dictated by someone who knows nothing about it or has some false image of any subject in question that may be "dangerous" for your health.

As for not putting additional effort into making lungs healthy well...

I quit smoking cigarettes over 2 years ago, I go to the gym as well as partake in other "healthy" yet "dangerous" activities.

And for anyone who believes you can't accomplish anything and be a pot smoker well...

My brother makes over 6 figures and loves to rip a bone here and there, usually when drinking which is probably more of an issue for him than anything.

My cousin is VERY successful with two great kids and they live in about a 1.5-2 million dollar home.

Guess what he has in his barn in his backyard above his own personal cross-fit gym?

That's right, a smoking room complete w/ bean-bag chairs and black-lights.

Nothing is ever as black and white as some people seem to believe.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

@murisan said:

Or don't if you still want your job at your place of work that randomly drug tests because it's still a fire-at-will state (CO)

Unless your job is taste tester of a new brand of synthetic marijuana...

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By NTM

No, I'm not going to do that. I don't care, I still think it's dumb. I wonder how many idiots are going to go around and just do it as they drive, or how many people we'll walk into in public that have been smoking it. I should mention that I voted for it as well, although there were many times I was opposed to it. Washington.

cheesebob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By cheesebob

I'd like to see Britain do the same. Along with prostitution.

Draxyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#47  Edited By Draxyle

Hopefully the residents don't abuse this privilege in dumb ways; I'd like the war on drugs to stop caring about marijuana. Hopefully this also puts a damper on drug trafficking in general with one of the only "socially accepted" drugs being taken out of the picture.

LikeaSsur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By LikeaSsur

@murisan said:

@Hunter5024 said:

Any drug can ruin your life, stop putting marijuana on the "IT'S NOT AS BAD AS EVIL ALCOHOL" pedestal.

uniform

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By uniform

The Feds will be cracking down hard on distribution in CO and WA, harder than they have on the medicinal marijuana states in the past couple years. It will be interesting to see where this goes, as efforts in the war on drugs (specifically marijuana), have only increased since the Bush administration.

colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By colourful_hippie
@Franstone

@Colourful_Hippie said:

@matti00 said:

@Hunter5024 said:

I'm not here to argue but give me one good reason why marijuana is more dangerous than alcohol or prescription drugs.

Clearly you have no experience in the matter.

The fuck are you talking about? I never said that.