Going in blind

I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By I_smell

I just realised all my favourite games are the ones I went into without knowing what they were. With STRIKINGLY HIGH accuracy. My family used to go to the flea-market  every week:

No Caption Provided
 And I'd have a SHITTY TIME. Sometimes they'd just leave me hangin out on a stall that sold videogames, and I'd LOVE just picking up all the boxes and lookin at em, then sometimes they'd come back n say I was allowed one. They were either used or pirated.
Here's all the games I've bought having barely heard of them, or just literally not heard of em:

Everything pre-PlayStation 1.
I was like 5, so everything on the Sega MegaDrive was just a case of put it in and see what happens.
 Rival Schools
A hand-me-down from my brother's friend. There was two discs and I can't remember why. It's a really colouful, splashy fighting game and I don't think I'd ever seen an anime before. Had a blast.
 Final Fantasy 7, Final Fantasy 9
FF7 was a hand-me-down from the same guy, pirate-copy. The first time I played it I didn't know how to run, so I walked everywhere, turned off the PS1 and said "This is the most boring game in the world."
Then a friend at school kept telling me about all these characters, so I picked it back up and it was the most densely packed, longest, most mature, most narrative-focused game I'd ever played at that point. Going from Mario 64 to Sephiroth was MIND-BLOWING.
I got FF9 cos it was the new one, and my friend had FF8. It was also a giant favourite.
 Bloody Roar 2
I played this for about 6 months, and went straight into Bloody Roar 3. I specifically remember buying it cos it was £5.00 and looked badass. These games are something really special, and completely fucking amazing if you're about 12.
 Ape Escape
I had a new PS1 Dualshock controller and this used it, I knew literally nothing about it apart from the boxart.
 Carmageddon
Did my parents know this was banned from being sold? NOPE! Also bought on a market cos it was cheap. This game is amazing, and the physics are so dumb that it's still fun to play. 
RedCard
My brother thought it was a football game. KIND OF, LOL!
Metal Gear Solid 2
My friend liked the first one, and my brother bought this one day. Still in like my Top 3, this game is fucking perfect. Going into it having not played the first one is maybe even better. I didn't even know which one Solid Snake was. I thought Raiden was Snake, until they revealed he wasn't.
Zone of the Enders 2
I think I bought this based on a screenshot in a magazine (that wasn't even very interesting), the words "cel-shaded" and the name "Hideo Kojima".
Bioshock
I watched Gamespot's Live E3 2007 stage demo and bought the game. Look it up on youtube, it's the best stage demo in history. 

Probably more, but who knows. I also used to scroll down a list of emulator ROMs and play random ones, which is how I found Advance Wars (5 stars!)
That list includes basically all my favourite games. WEIRD, RIGHT? Going into a game on just boxart is something that very rarely happens right now. I go into Xbox Demos and play games nobody's ever heard of sometimes, it can be really fun. Crash Time 4: reccomended!
But the time between me HEARING ABOUT Bioshock Infinite and me PLAYING it is like 3 years. The VGAs are on tonight- think I should watch all the trailers in that?

OF COURSE I FUCKING WILL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Ramone

I wish I could do that but find it hard to avoid watching coverage of games I'm interested in.

izzygraze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By izzygraze

I hate it when I buy a game and end up not playing it, so a bit of research is helpful. However, if it's free then yeah the surprise is great like hearing Frog Fractions was a cool game then...yeah.

VisariLoyalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By VisariLoyalist

spend 5 years as a hermit, pick random game off the shelf, MIND BLOWN

I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By I_smell
@IzzyGraze said:

I hate it when I buy a game and end up not playing it, so a bit of research is helpful. However, if it's free then yeah the surprise is great like hearing Frog Fractions was a cool game then...yeah.

I played Frog Fractions for about 40 minutes and didn't advance past the first screen, so I actually had the opposite experience with that one, HA!
Same as my experience with FF7... actually I almost did the same thing with ZoE2, that has a cold open aswel.
What I'm saying here is that I am an idiot.
Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong

There's a lot of games I like but just don't spend time on researching. Either because I know I want to try them anyway or that they're good.

I love my gut feeling however, it's how I got Phantasy Star Online Episode 1/2, Monster Hunter, World of Warcraft or Borderlands for example.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#7  Edited By FLStyle

Ever since giant mech on giant mech violence was revealed/spoiled in one of the MGS4 trailers I make a much bigger effort to go on media blackouts of games I want to play.

inkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By inkerman

I really love both Minecraft and Men of War, two games I went into more or less blind.

I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By I_smell
@FLStyle said:

Ever since giant mech on giant mech violence was revealed/spoiled in one of the MGS4 trailers I make a much bigger effort to go on media blackouts of games I want to play.

I never played MGS4 cos I don't have a PS3, but I think I know everything about it just from watching E3 and whatnot.
I actually don't click trailers any more on GiantBomb, and halfway through watching a Cloud Atlas trailer yesterday I just said "Alright, seen enough, I'm sold" and closed it.
ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

@I_smell said:

@FLStyle said:

I never played MGS4 cos I don't have a PS3, but I think I know everything about it just from watching E3 and whatnot. I actually don't click trailers any more on GiantBomb, and halfway through watching a Cloud Atlas trailer yesterday I just said "Alright, seen enough, I'm sold" and closed it.

I don't watch trailers either. I stopped watching the VGA during some of them. Like Tomb Raider, I am hyped for that game yet has never watched a trailer for it.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#11  Edited By TobbRobb

This is why I basically only listen to podcasts and watch some quick looks! Trailers are just spoilerfests without giving any information. If I can hear enough about a game to decide I'll likely enjoy it, BLACKOUT TIME! The less preconcieved notions you have about something, the truer the opinion becomes.

I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By I_smell
@ImmortalSaiyan said:

@I_smell said:

@FLStyle said:

I never played MGS4 cos I don't have a PS3, but I think I know everything about it just from watching E3 and whatnot. I actually don't click trailers any more on GiantBomb, and halfway through watching a Cloud Atlas trailer yesterday I just said "Alright, seen enough, I'm sold" and closed it.

I don't watch trailers either. I stopped watching the VGA during some of them. Like Tomb Raider, I am hyped for that game yet has never watched a trailer for it.

Here's the thing though: As kids we used to buy games BASED ON BOX-ART!  and a back-of-box description
My favourite game at one point was BEDLAM, which I'm now realising doesn't even have any info on GiantBomb.
HerbieBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#13  Edited By HerbieBug

I discovered Chrono Trigger because the game I wanted to rent (NBA Jam) had already been rented by someone else.

I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By I_smell

I actually bought Zone of the Enders 2 because The Sims Bustin' Out was Get 2 for £30.

Tylea002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By Tylea002

Or, all the games close to your heart were played when you were young, which was at a time where you went in blind. We play games a different way when we're young, it's where we build up our gaming system, our habits, stumble around and figure things out. Of course those games would be your favourites. Now, we just play games, but when you're young you have to conquer them. That's why people loved Demon's Souls when it first came out so much, because it replicated that feeling brought on by inexperience of youth in gaming, both the confusion and the eventual triumph.