Going to San Fran in June; what should I check out?

PercyChuggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By PercyChuggs

So I am taking my first vacation ever, and heading West to San Francisco this June (June 22nd to 24th to be exact). I am planning on checking out 2 games between the Giants and Twins (since I live in MN and am a Twins fan), and I've got a couple other ideas for things I need to see (The Metreon, Pier 39, The Ripley's Believe it or Not Museum, In and Out Burger). My question you fine folks is, are there any, lesser known cool sites to see in the City by the Bay? I am dead set on trying In and Out, but are there any other local delicacies for someone such as myself?

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By AlexW00d

Alcatraz obviously. 
LucasArts, although all you can see is a statue of Yoda. 
Can't remember what else I saw when I went.

Avatar image for deactivated-6204297b0c601
deactivated-6204297b0c601

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

It kind of depends on what you're into and how much you're willing to spend.  In terms of obvious stuff, definitely check out Chinatown, maybe Coit Tower and Lombard Street.  If you're already going to Pier 39 you might as well see Fisherman's Wharf and Ghiradelli Square.  Haight-Ashbury is a spectacle, but I don't really like it. 

I really enjoy Jack in the Box, but I don't know if they have those in MN.

If you're into anime or manga check out Japantown Mall.  Golden Gate park is pretty, if you want something low-key.  Wear good shoes and dress in layers, and take cash for the busses.

lead_farmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#4  Edited By lead_farmer
@Gooddoggy said:
"  Golden Gate park is pretty, if you want something low-key.  "
It's also not too far from the Academy of Sciences.  That place is pretty cool. 
Walking around Chinatown is fun too.
MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By MarkWahlberg

Starfleet Academy has tours on weekdays.

Halopower67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Halopower67

Take a package of new things they haven't gotten in the mailbag videos and take it to the Whiskey Media offices?

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By pweidman

Natural History and the De Young Museums are both awesome.  And yur already going to Pac Bell to see ball games; that'll be a treat in itself. Be sure to walk all around the park as the various views are great.  Golden Gate Park is also worth seeing.  Good seafood can be found all areound the piers.  Be aware though that June in SF is sometimes damn cold.  Take layers of clothes like someone else said and have a great time!
PercyChuggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By PercyChuggs

Has anyone been to TILT inside the Metreon? I hear that place is a complete crap hole now.

benpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9  Edited By benpack
@PercyChuggs said:
" Has anyone been to TILT inside the Metreon? I hear that place is a complete crap hole now. "
The Metreon sure ain't what it used to be. It's still neat to check out. Also I second everyone saying Chinatown, and the Academy of Sciences. Try and hit up a planetarium show, if you're into that sort o thing.
Jayross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#10  Edited By Jayross

The Whiskey Media offices.

fishmicmuffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By fishmicmuffin
@Gooddoggy said:
"  Ghiradelli Square. "
This. Lots of delicious chocolate goodies. 
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By iam3green

i think if you can take a trip to LA for like the day. it would be pretty fun stuff there also.

strangone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By strangone

Head to El Farolito in the Mission for an amazing burrito.

If you're over 21 go to el rosamunde in lower haight for a sausage and take it next door to Toronado, the best place for beer in the city.

PercyChuggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By PercyChuggs
@GlenTennis said:
" @PercyChuggs said:
" Has anyone been to TILT inside the Metreon? I hear that place is a complete crap hole now. "
The Metreon sure ain't what it used to be. It's still neat to check out. Also I second everyone saying Chinatown, and the Academy of Sciences. Try and hit up a planetarium show, if you're into that sort o thing. "
You mean the Plane-arium?
Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Doctorchimp
@iam3green said:
" i think if you can take a trip to LA for like the day. it would be pretty fun stuff there also. "
This, the answer you're looking for is stay in San Fran until the game and then go to LA.
EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By EVO

I'm also going to SF in June, only I'm traveling from Australia to get there. If I wanna see a basketball or baseball game over there, will I have to buy tickets in advance? Or can I just buy one on the day? I'd be stoked to see the Lakers play, but whenever I see them on TV the stadium is always full.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ryanwho

The mall's huge, you can spend all day bsing in the Bay Area, and the massage places in Chinatown really are a cover for prostitution. Not kidding. About 150 gets you full penetration, not just a handy.

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ThePhantomnaut
@PercyChuggs said:
" @GlenTennis said:
" @PercyChuggs said:
The Metreon sure ain't what it used to be. It's still neat to check out. Also I second everyone saying Chinatown, and the Academy of Sciences. Try and hit up a planetarium show, if you're into that sort o thing. "
You mean the Plane-arium? "
Go to San Francisco State University's arcade "Rack n Cue." They have Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition and The King of Fighters XIII.
DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By DystopiaX
@Halopower67 said:
" Take a package of new things they haven't gotten in the mailbag videos and take it to the Whiskey Media offices? "
775 PACKAGES OF PRECOOKED BACON! 

seriously though, if you do that ask if it's ok/warn them ahead of time or something. They seemed kind of creeped out when the twinkie guys dropped off their shit.
NeverDeadXE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By NeverDeadXE

Go to Tony's Pizza Napoletana on Stockton. they have this deep fried Pizza Margherita. It's killer. make sure to check out chinatown, the exploratorium is cool if you have kids. Uhh, Alcatraz is always fun... And the comic book museum is also pretty cool if you like comics. It's right by SFMOMA. You could also kinda try to find IGN headquarters and stuff. I'd say find Giantbomb HQ but htat would be quite the drive.

benpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21  Edited By benpack
@ThePhantomnaut said:
" @PercyChuggs said:
" @GlenTennis said:
" @PercyChuggs said:
Go to San Francisco State University's arcade "Rack n Cue." They have Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition and The King of Fighters XIII. "
Huh. I go to SFSU and I didn't even know that.
ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ThePhantomnaut
@GlenTennis said:

" @ThePhantomnaut said:

" @PercyChuggs said:
" @GlenTennis said:
" @PercyChuggs said:
Go to San Francisco State University's arcade "Rack n Cue." They have Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition and The King of Fighters XIII. "
Huh. I go to SFSU and I didn't even know that. "
SF State has probably one of the only like three or four KOFXIII units in the whole United States. Also Evil Ryu and Oni are unlocked. You should check out some SFSU stuff at Shoryuken.
PercyChuggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By PercyChuggs

I have no desire to stop by the Giant Bomb offices. I don't want to cross the line into weird territory. 

As of right now, I plan on visiting the Exploratorium, Alcatraz, while in the area Pier 39 (yeah I know, touristry), In and Out for lunch, and then AT&T Park. That's just on Wednesday. Anyone know of a good breakfast place?

teh_destroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By teh_destroyer
@NeverDeadXE said:
" Go to Tony's Pizza Napoletana on Stockton. they have this deep fried Pizza Margherita. It's killer. make sure to check out chinatown, the exploratorium is cool if you have kids. Uhh, Alcatraz is always fun... And the comic book museum is also pretty cool if you like comics. It's right by SFMOMA. You could also kinda try to find IGN headquarters and stuff. I'd say find Giantbomb HQ but htat would be quite the drive. "
all this stuff :).
Avatar image for rubberbabybuggybumpers
RubberBabyBuggyBumpers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

hopefully you'll be lucky enough to see the hoe truck being driven around the city.

PercyChuggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By PercyChuggs

Anyone know of some good local eats? Yelp tells me I should go to Little Star Pizza, and I know for sure In-N-Out will be a stop as well.