Good "book-reading" music

dvand987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By dvand987

What kind of music do you guys listen to when reading your favorite books?

Right now I'm reading The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss.  Its a fantasy book and I've been listening to Joe Hisaishi's movie sountracks for Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle, and Princess Mononoke. 

It's light-hearted and easy to listen to without being distracting. There usually is a good flow to the soundtracks too; it will start off gentle and build up a bit, then he sprinkles a few action tracks before coming back down to a smooth conclusion. His music pretty much paints pictures all on their own, but when fused with a good fantasy story, these tracks become a natural background that really adds nice layer to your reading.  It also works really well with late night cram sessions; with the assistance of caffeine this music puts you in the zone you need to be in the night before a final project or 20 page paper is due. I wouldn't necessarily recommend this music to someone reading a different genre but I have never tried so I can't say for sure.   

Also in my playlist I have an Icelandic artist named Olafur Arnalds whose music has a similar affect to Joe's music, in that it can easily blend into the background with minimal distraction. The difference is that its very piano heavy. Also the music takes it's time to build up, giving it a more serious tone and feel.  It kind of reminds me of winter (you will know what I mean when you listen to it) Going back to my point about its seriousness, if you really get into the music it can get borderline depressing at times. But with that comes some very satisfying high points that feels nostalgically similar to various victories in life (making that final point needed for the win, a first kiss with a new girlfriend, or leveling your entire party to double-star in Chrono Trigger). Its basically neo-classical. 

So those are my picks and why, what about you guys?
JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By JasonR86

Anything without lyrics.  Lyrics mess me up when I'm reading or writing.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Dany

I listen to the the lost soundtrack...all of them, all 264 songs in shuffle all the time for books and studying.

Osaladin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Osaladin

I don't like to listen to anything, it interferes with my imagination process.

JMartNWA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By JMartNWA

Big fan of listening to Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross' score for The Social Network... also Daft Punk's work on the Tron: Legacy soundtrack... and the Hanz Zimmer Dark Knight score while reading.  I do use Giacchino's Lost scores as well as some of his Pixar work from time to time also.  When I want to keep it very serious, I listen to Ludovico Einaudi's epic "Divenire."  Check it out, he's one of my favorites of all-time.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6  Edited By crusader8463

Nothing. When I'm reading I want silence.

dvand987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By dvand987
@JasonR86: I agree, lyrics mess me up too. Do you have a preference though, what was the last thing you listened to when reading?
JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#8  Edited By JasonR86
@dvand987

The last time I was reading I listened to the Album Leaf though I don't remember the CD off hand.
dvand987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By dvand987
@Dany: Hey 'D'  I really like that music, I'm goona have to torrent*cough-cough* I mean purchase that music. I can see that being great for reading, but you mentioned writing too. Do you mean writing in general or personal, like poems and short stories?
Surkov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Surkov

No music, just read. You don't need something in your earhole at all times. 

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By laserbolts
I need complete silence when im reading.
RockAction

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By RockAction

not to sound like an old man, especially considering im in my 20s and im only referring to maybe two years ago, but, i used to be able to listen to music and read, and just multitask far better but i especially enjoyed putting music on and reading, even music with lyrics and novels 

but now i have to have silence, or thereabouts to read anything 'heavy', i still like listening to music if im reading a magazine or something superfluous but if its involved i tend towards silence or at least instrumental stuff

dvand987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By dvand987
@JMartNWA: Yo J-Mart, I just listened to Ludovico's live version of Divenire and you're right, it is the bomb. This thread is going to give me all the music I'll need to read to for the rest of my life. Thanks for introducing me to Ludo's awesome music.
BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By BraveToaster
@Osaladin said:
I don't like to listen to anything, it interferes with my imagination process.
Same here.
dvand987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By dvand987
@JasonR86: Hey Jay, I just looked them up on youtube and am listening to their track "Into the Sea".  Its real pimp, its kind of reminds me of like a mellow Postal Service. I like it alot.

JMartNWA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By JMartNWA
@dvand987: Yeah it's excellent...all his albums are spectacular.  I would kill for him to come somewhere near me at some point this decade.  He's flat out amazing.  Glad you enjoyed it as well...
DopeToast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By DopeToast

Although I usually don't listen to anything while reading, if I do it's Simon & Garfunkel. Most of the music is soft and melodic and offers a good background.

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#18  Edited By Skald

Artist > Anamanaguchi > Play All (Low Volume)

gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 31

#19  Edited By gla55jAw

I can listen to Circa Survive and Coheed and Cambria when I read. Any other music/band distracts me.

cnlmullen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By cnlmullen

Pretty much any music I like would be too distracting.

I can only multi task when one of the tasks in mindless (which is why I sometimes have trouble singing and playing guitar at the same time).

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#21  Edited By beforet

Classical, if anything. Just any I can find. But I usually go with silence.

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#22  Edited By Skald
@Surkov said:
No music, just read. You don't need something in your earhole at all times. 
It's actually a really good way to block out distractions that are much worse.

Anyway, it's weird that so many people find it difficult to do both. It's easy for me to listen to music while I read, but I suppose I'm a bit of a bibliophile anyway.