• 78 results
  • 1
  • 2
Avatar image for lavaman77
#1 Edited by lavaman77 (623 posts) -

I've recently finished Bladerunner and Ergo Proxy and now I'm starving for more. Are there any good dark Sci-Fi films/tv shows that are similar to those two I've watched? i realize that BR and EP are cyber punk but that genre is quite small in media, however if you have recommendations for that genre then i would love it too.

Avatar image for morrow
#2 Posted by Morrow (1870 posts) -

@lavaman77:

Dark City with Rufus Sewell. A bit weird at first but with a good atmosphere.

Avatar image for lavaman77
#3 Posted by lavaman77 (623 posts) -

@Morrow said:

@lavaman77:

Dark City with Rufus Sewell. A bit weird at first but with a good atmosphere.

Oh yeah i watched that as a kid, great film.

Avatar image for ketchupp
#4 Posted by Ketchupp (687 posts) -

If you liked Blade Runner you should read the book it's based off of, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep. I found it so much better than the movie.

Avatar image for video_game_king
#5 Posted by Video_Game_King (36564 posts) -

@Ketchupp said:

If you liked Blade Runner you should read the book it's based off of, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep. I found it so much better than the movie.

As long as we're doing "like Blade Runner, but in a different medium", I'll just throw Snatcher into the mix. It's about two steps away from being a movie anyway.

Avatar image for morrow
#6 Posted by Morrow (1870 posts) -

@lavaman77 said:

@Morrow said:

@lavaman77:

Dark City with Rufus Sewell. A bit weird at first but with a good atmosphere.

Oh yeah i watched that as a kid, great film.

Oh, most people don't even know that one. Hmmm ok the only other dark sci-fi that comes to my mind would be Eden Log.

Avatar image for james_giant_peach
#7 Posted by James_Giant_Peach (756 posts) -

Event Horizon

Avatar image for monkeyking1969
#8 Edited by MonkeyKing1969 (6387 posts) -

'Silent Running' (1972), 'Logan's Run' (1976), and 'Soylent Green' (1973) are all very cool movies. They are all very dark too.

Just start with the above. Then move into movies like 'Metropolis' (1927) (sort of long, but stick with it) and 'Lord of the Flies' (1963). And, yes, I would call LoTF sci-fi for sure.

Avatar image for stepside
#9 Posted by Stepside (559 posts) -

@lavaman77: If you're a reader, check out 1984. One of the best dark sci-fi books of all time - it's free on iOS devices as well (if you have an ipod or ipad).

As for movies, @Morrow: has the right idea - Dark City is amazing. Also, I'd suggest Twelve Monkeys - such a great and fucked up sci-fi flick, can't recommend it enough.

Loading Video...

Avatar image for renmckormack
#10 Posted by RenMcKormack (1087 posts) -

Robocop

Avatar image for rhaknar
#11 Posted by Rhaknar (6300 posts) -

Pitch Black, and thats not a pun on "dark"

Avatar image for harlechquinn
#12 Posted by HarlechQuinn (456 posts) -

If you have no problems with Anime I would suggest "Ghost in a Shell", "Akira" and "Mardock Scramble"...

Avatar image for euandewar
#13 Posted by EuanDewar (5160 posts) -

Silent Running. Better than 2001, that movie.

Avatar image for fallen189
#14 Posted by Fallen189 (5453 posts) -

I hate to say this, but after Ghost in the Shell, and the two you've seen...you've kinda peaked

Avatar image for ch3burashka
#15 Posted by ch3burashka (6087 posts) -

@Morrow said:

@lavaman77 said:

@Morrow said:

@lavaman77:

Dark City with Rufus Sewell. A bit weird at first but with a good atmosphere.

Oh yeah i watched that as a kid, great film.

Oh, most people don't even know that one. Hmmm ok the only other dark sci-fi that comes to my mind would be Eden Log.

I would love to say that I'm part of an exclusive "Dark City" club, but every time someone brings up the subject, Dark City is one of the most popular submissions. It's been long enough and promoted enough that it's a fairly known film. That shouldn't take away from its awesomeness - I go back to watch it every month or so. Dat ending...

Fringe is the "dark sci-fi" of TV. I highly recommend it. With the break going on right now, I've gone back to watch the last 3 seasons. Held up really well.

Avatar image for morrow
#16 Posted by Morrow (1870 posts) -

@CH3BURASHKA:

Well most of the people I know aren't into Sci-Fi at all, so that's probably why they don't know Dark City and why I assumed it's some kind of underground movie... ^^

Avatar image for lavaman77
#17 Posted by lavaman77 (623 posts) -

It makes me sad that I've seen most of the films mentioned here but there are a couple of films here that i plan on checking out if the plot is nice.

Thanks a lot to everyone! you guys are awesome.

@CH3BURASHKA said:

@Morrow said:

@lavaman77 said:

@Morrow said:

@lavaman77:

Dark City with Rufus Sewell. A bit weird at first but with a good atmosphere.

Oh yeah i watched that as a kid, great film.

Oh, most people don't even know that one. Hmmm ok the only other dark sci-fi that comes to my mind would be Eden Log.

I would love to say that I'm part of an exclusive "Dark City" club, but every time someone brings up the subject, Dark City is one of the most popular submissions. It's been long enough and promoted enough that it's a fairly known film. That shouldn't take away from its awesomeness - I go back to watch it every month or so. Dat ending...

Fringe is the "dark sci-fi" of TV. I highly recommend it. With the break going on right now, I've gone back to watch the last 3 seasons. Held up really well.

I watched Fringe up to season 3's finale, lost interest afterwards.

Avatar image for arclyte
#18 Posted by ArcLyte (926 posts) -

Children of Men

Avatar image for master_funk
#19 Edited by Master_Funk (764 posts) -

A Clockwork Orange

The Fountain

Brazil

Robocop

Minority Report

Online
Avatar image for justin258
#20 Posted by Justin258 (14484 posts) -

I can't believe that no one has said Alien or Aliens yet.

Chuck in Akira and Ghost in the Shell for dark sci-fi anime and you're pretty much covered.

Online
Avatar image for gizmo
#21 Posted by Gizmo (5467 posts) -

Moon is sublime.

Avatar image for donkeycow
#22 Posted by Donkeycow (568 posts) -

Alien, Aliens, Event Horizon, and Children of Men all get my endorsement

Avatar image for mikegosot
#23 Posted by MikeGosot (3237 posts) -

Akira. Man, you NEED to watch Akira. The message of the movie is pretty cool, and the movie is batshit insane, in a good way. It is one of my favorite movies of all time.

Avatar image for winternet
#24 Posted by Winternet (8399 posts) -

Solaris. Both the Tarkovsky and the Soderbergh version (of course the Tarkovsky one is better).

Avatar image for tourgen
#25 Edited by tourgen (4568 posts) -

12 monkies, anyone mention that yet?

Delicatessen - it's uhh,pretty dark, post-apocalyptic "comedy"

13th Floor

yeah, someone alredy mentioned Event Horizon. It puts the Dead Space games into perspective.

I also cannot recommend Brazil enough. it's some pretty good fun

EDIT: Cube Zero

Avatar image for inevpatoria
#26 Posted by inevpatoria (7089 posts) -

Sunshine is probably one of the most intense films I've ever seen. Until the ending, at least. Even then it's still pretty solid. Just makes a hard, unnecessary right turn in the last half hour. 
 
Event Horizon is brutal in so many ways. Like Sunshine, that film does a fantastic job exploring the sheer isolation of being in a spacecraft in space.  
 
Dark City is almost requisite here. As is the Matrix Trilogy. Label the sequels with all the derogatory words you can come up with, but there isn't any shortage of bleak atmosphere in those films.  
 
While I wouldn't call it "sci-fi" so much, Let The Right One In (the original Swedish version) is an excellent, excellent film. Just all around. Lots of neat subtext and just an incredibly tight story. Very good. Highly recommended. 

Avatar image for tourgen
#27 Posted by tourgen (4568 posts) -

@HistoryInRust: oh man! Sunshine! Yeah it was great until the last bit.

Avatar image for babychoochoo
#28 Posted by BabyChooChoo (6611 posts) -

Ghost in the Shell is my top pick, but it's quite literally my favorite series ever (anime or not) so I may be a bit biased...

The new hotness I recommend to everyone though is Mardock Scramble. Fuck me sideways, I have not enjoyed a movie as much I've enjoyed that movie in a long time. Watch it....or else...

Karas is another one I can't recommend enough. The storyline may be a bit confusing, but once you realize how and why it's told the way it is, you'll get all giddy like a little school girl...or maybe that was just me lol. Still, well worth a watch.

That's all that comes to mind at the moment, but I'll be back if i can think of more.

Avatar image for bribo
#29 Posted by Bribo (717 posts) -

I heartily recommend the Chuck Heston Trilogy: Soylent Green, The Omega Man and Planet of the Apes. So long as you leave The Omega Man till last, there will still be an apreciable/crazy narrative thread that connects them all.

Avatar image for venatio
#30 Posted by Venatio (4730 posts) -

I've seen some great stuff recommended here but can I ask for dark sci fi in other mediums? Books? Tv Shows? Videogames? And any year will count, no matter how old

Avatar image for nerolus
#31 Posted by Nerolus (278 posts) -

Pandorum. I thought it was going to be shitty, but I was actually pleased with it. Great sci-fi movie.

Also, Sunshine is in a very similar vein and absolutely worth watching. One of my favorite sci-fi films.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
#32 Edited by RandomInternetUser (6805 posts) -

Well, there was AVP2. That movie was so dark I couldn't even see what was going on half the time!

Sorry.

Avatar image for shrimpy
#33 Posted by Shrimpy (95 posts) -

I don't know if dark's the right word but I fucking love The Man Who Fell to Earth.

Avatar image for donkeyscrotes
#34 Posted by donkeyscrotes (72 posts) -

@Winternet: Have you seen Stalker? If so, what is it like? I've seen select scenes on youtube and it looks incredible, but never had a chance to watch it.

Avatar image for psngamesun
#35 Posted by PSNgamesun (444 posts) -

Vanilla Sky awesome film with Tom Cruise

Avatar image for benpicko
#36 Posted by benpicko (2016 posts) -

@Stepside said:

@lavaman77: If you're a reader, check out 1984. One of the best dark sci-fi books of all time - it's free on iOS devices as well (if you have an ipod or ipad).

As for movies, @Morrow: has the right idea - Dark City is amazing. Also, I'd suggest Twelve Monkeys - such a great and fucked up sci-fi flick, can't recommend it enough.

Loading Video...

I do have an iPod or iPad! Where can I get my complementary 1984?

Avatar image for coreymw
#37 Posted by Coreymw (272 posts) -

@lavaman77:Dark City

Avatar image for coreymw
#38 Posted by Coreymw (272 posts) -

@James_Giant_Peach:Event Horizon is bananas. I stopped watching that film the first I sat down to do so.

Avatar image for contrarian
#39 Posted by Contrarian (1205 posts) -

@EuanDewar said:

Silent Running. Better than 2001, that movie.

Good to see someone else with a love of Silent Running. The people who made this worked on 2001. It was such a sad film ...... made me cry lots, especially the little robot left behind.

Alien, Predator, Metropolis, Dark City, Brazil, The Day the Earth Stood Still (original), Invasion of The Body Snatchers, The Thing, Equilibrium, Fahrenheit 451, Logan's Run, Planet of the Apes (original), The Blob (original), Soylent Green, I Am Legend, Pitch Black, The Chronicles of Riddick, Rollerball (original), 12 Monkeys, The City of Lost Children - I am sure there are many more and it reminds me how much I love sci-fi.

Avatar image for artgarcrunkle
#40 Posted by artgarcrunkle (988 posts) -

Moon, Dark City, Children of Men. Not really a sci-fi film but The City of Lost Children is excellent and has a dark aesthetic.

Avatar image for thejohn
#41 Edited by TheJohn (580 posts) -

Check out Hardware. It's fucking awesome. Dark and weird and bleak as fuck. Starring that one dude from Hamburger Hill. Also Lemmy has a cameo, Iggy Pop's voice is featured prominently and PIL is on the soundtrack. Perfect! Oh yeah, and grisly murder. Grisly, grisly murder

Loading Video...
Avatar image for babychoochoo
#42 Posted by BabyChooChoo (6611 posts) -

@Nerolus said:

Pandorum. I thought it was going to be shitty, but I was actually pleased with it. Great sci-fi movie.

Could not agree more. I went in expecting to tear this movie apart and I fell in love with it.

Avatar image for darthvader300
#43 Posted by darthvader300 (64 posts) -

star wars 3 is pretty dark when kill jedis and kids

Avatar image for morrow
#44 Posted by Morrow (1870 posts) -

@Master_Funk said:

A Clockwork Orange

The Fountain

Brazil

Robocop

Minority Report

I pretty much agree with your list, except for The Fountain. As much as I love Hugh Jackman, this movie is boring cheesy esoteric bull. Sorry.

Avatar image for winternet
#45 Posted by Winternet (8399 posts) -

@mcfizzlejizz: I have not. Haven't had the opportunity to do so. It's hard to find the damn thing.

Avatar image for spudtastic
#46 Posted by spudtastic (561 posts) -

'dark city '

Avatar image for monkeyking1969
#47 Posted by MonkeyKing1969 (6387 posts) -

'The Road' is of course dark, but most people her saw that. On that theme of nuclear war you should see "When the Wind Blows" (1986) and "Threads" (1984). You can buy both on Amazon.com, but for "Threads" you will need a region free DVD player.

Avatar image for buscemi
#48 Posted by Buscemi (1125 posts) -
Avatar image for witzig
#49 Edited by Witzig (364 posts) -

MOON

Soylent Green

A Clockwork Orange

A boy and his dog

Fahrenheit 451

Avatar image for boozak
#50 Posted by BoOzak (1796 posts) -

@lavaman77 said:

I've recently finished Bladerunner and Ergo Proxy and now I'm starving for more. Are there any good dark Sci-Fi films/tv shows that are similar to those two I've watched? i realize that BR and EP are cyber punk but that genre is quite small in media, however if you have recommendations for that genre then i would love it too.

I enjoyed Texhnolyze (anime) alot, it's really weird and takes awhile to start but if you like dystopian sci-fi stuff you should enjoy it. As for films most of the good ones have been said "A Scanner Darkly" was great but it's more covert mind-fuckery than Sci-Fi, but I guess it still qualifies.