kortex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By kortex

Sorry for my poor English.

I have been a member here at GiantBomb for years and became premium the moment you could pay with PayPal. Although I didn't post very much, I always loved the crew and the community and visited the site several times a day. This started to change last year and I can tell you why.

First of all, I am simply not playing that many games anymore and I am not as interessted in the business site of the industry as I used to be.

The second reason: The death of Ryan Davis. The site (of course) hasn't been the same ever since. And now that Vinny has left, I think this will be it for me. My dream team, my trinity (J, R, V) is gone and cannot be replaced.

Why am I telling you this? I just wanted to thank the crew of GiantBomb and the community for years of entertainment and laughter. I had some rough times in the last few years and somehow you guys helped me to pull through. Thanks for all the bullshit and live advice. I felt closer to you guys, than I would like to admit or can explain.

<3 That's it, Duders. <>

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Peace my fellow GB comrade.

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Giantstalker

I'm close to your situation, just willing to ride it out until we see what the new hired people are like in action.

So, I can definitely sympathize.

Best of luck

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Corevi

I only joined the community recently so haven't seen you around at all but hope you find another community you like as much as heyday GB.

poisonmonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By poisonmonkey

@kortex Best of luck in the future duder, were always here if you need us :-)

Avatar image for clairvoyantvibrations
ClairvoyantVibrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Peace, brother.

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Yeah I get you. The loss of Ryan is eternally something that plagues this website now. It's just not the same without him. Now with Vinny effectively going too, it's hard to find reasons to stick around as such. Such a shame. Still a great site, mind you. It's just nostalgia goggles though now.

fobwashed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 16

@kortex: I feel you. Hopefully the new blood that's coming in will shake things up in a good way. Also hopefull that Vinny's East Coast content will be stellar. Check back in later and see how things are. Or not. gg duder <>

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel you with games interest and how the entire "hobby" has changed and how studios are ending (goddamnit, Mythic) but Vinny is simply moving, things are changing, shit's gonna be fine and new original ideas will appear, if the people acting like you about Vinny's move still have grandparents or even great grandparents still alive then buckle the motherfuck up for when they start dying, god forbid you have a pet that's not a parrot or a turtle, and if this is simply a case of being super uncomfortable with that little change of him moving, see a psychiatrist and get some tests run.

(I am never fakeposting or irony-posting, I just have an often rough way with words.)

cloudymusic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By cloudymusic

If anything, I think that Vinny's going to be able to produce more content now, since he won't be competing for studio space or other crew members' time as much. It won't be quite the same, and yeah, we won't have the same Jeff + Vinny chemistry that we all know and love in quite the same way, but it could easily be just as good, only in a different way. I'm excited for what's on the horizon.

In any case, you have your reasons. The site's not going away anytime soon most likely, so it'll be here whenever you feel like checking in on it. See ya around.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Maybe Beast Coast Vinny will be even more awesome, but I understand. This is a weird time for Giant Bomb, but there's hope for the future. Later, duder.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c26fd6917af0
deactivated-5c26fd6917af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Vinny isn't leaving. If its anything like Patrick there will be more Vinny content once they get settled into the New York office. I can understand the death of Ryan effecting you like that, granted I've personally gotten past that when I finally sat down and watched the Chrono Trigger and Deadly Premonition ERs, and its a difficult thing to recover from. Hopefully you have better times ahead of you.

UncleBenny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

peace be with you man, come back and see the site sometime. I know it seems kinda dark right now, but I got faith that the new blood and the new BEAST COAST crew will do something interest.

The_Tolman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By The_Tolman

Giant Bomb has been though A LOT of changes since it was founded. Each seemed concerning but was never the end of the site. Of course Ryan's passing was extremely difficult for everyone, especially the members of the staff, but the site keeps trucking and continues to produce some of the best video game coverage, insight, and commentary, in the industry. Though, I will miss Vinny's unique and infectious sense of humor on the live shows and on the bombcast, I'm optimistic about his plans for New York and the future of the site. Best of luck and I hope you find another interest to fill the gap.

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Whew, was afraid this was something else. Well, good luck in your future journeys, duder.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

@quarters said:

Whew, was afraid this was something else. Well, good luck in your future journeys, duder.

You're not the only one. I jumped in here going "oh, God, no" and then found out that he just doesn't find the site as appealing as he once did.

But yes, I would encourage checking in every now and then if only to see what Vinny and Alex are doing in New York.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

bye.

laserguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By laserguy

J.R.? You mean good ole Jim Ross? Or J.R. Ewing?

If your going to leave, it dosent require an announcement.

What did you bitch about this week? not getting a free pizza at a baseball game?

Dont use Ryan as an excuse to leave, you wouldnt say "Im leaving home because my mother is dead." Thats stupid. It dosent sound right.

Vinny isnt leaving the site hes moving in with Alex, Your leaving the site because your bored. I had a teacher who would say "Only boring people are bored."

But the site is about to get real, its going to explode with creativity and amazing things are going to happen that you and all the others who post complaints and announce that they are leaving are going to miss.

Thats it duder.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Come on Duder, he isn't gone Vinny is gonna be all Vinny all the time I can't wait to see what he starts doing.

As for Ryan well, lets put it this way,

@kortex said:

My dream team, my trinity (J, R, V) is gone and cannot be replaced.

My team is well beyond them now, the site has changed a lot but there are so many amazing interesting people here. But I know where your coming from I don't think anything will every replace him it will never be that way again but I think it has a chance to become better, if not why not ride it till the wheels fall off that seems like the Giant Bomb way to me.

But if your just not interested in games as a whole anymore than I can do nothing but wish you the best!

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This site is still great and this community is awesome. That's all I will say.

confusedowl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By confusedowl

See ya duder. I'm personally excited to see all the change that's currently happening on GB. With new people coming in and Vinny moving there's a good chance we may see even more content now. So I'm definitely sticking around. Plus I doubt I'll ever be able to find another community like Giant Bombs so I can't leave anyway!

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

Similar feelings to you duder, but I want to see what comes with Vinny and Alex being allowed to do almost whatever they want, that is when Vinny is at his best so I'm intrigued by that and what the new blood will bring.

As others have said, check in in a few months and see what happens, Ryan is irreplaceable in our hearts but the rest of the crew is pretty great.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#23  Edited By Milkman

This is a weird sentiment. It's a website. It's not like you're moving away and can't come back. Is this your way of saying you're deleting Giant Bomb from your bookmarks or something?

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't stay gone for long, the old videos are always here, and there will always be a new video that can still please you in every way

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I sometimes wonder what certain people come to the site for, when Dave leaves, Ryan passes away, Patrick moves, and Vinny moves, but everything's still as great as always and totally fine you guys don't worry.

I understand your reasons, duder. I personally find my interest in Giant Bomb's content to be fading, replaced by others, like TBF, as things have continued to change more and more. But I would at least give the new people a chance, and see what Vinny can do, before giving up.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

@milkman said:

This is a weird sentiment. It's a website. It's not like you're moving away and can't come back. Is this your way of saying you're deleting Giant Bomb from your bookmarks or something?

I was just thinking the same thing.

I am beginning to wonder if we shouldn't just lump all of these sorts of threads into one topic. We already have the Introduce Yourself thread, we could simply add goodbyes and "I'm back" topics to it as well.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By BisonHero

@marokai: I still feel like not enough people appreciate how much of a blow to the site it was when Dave left. He brought an interesting PC gaming perspective, plus I think he was always really good at interacting with the community, especially in setting up the Whiskey Media Radio Show thing. That feature was a good way to give updates on where the site was headed and what premium users should expect and all that. While I give huge props to @rorie for his continued presence on the forums, I do really miss those call-in shows with Dave and Jeff that were just about the site in general, and the only thing we've really had like that was the Puppy Chat with Rorie (which was pretty good!).

Avatar image for deactivated-5afdd08777389
deactivated-5afdd08777389

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Come on guys. I'm sick of seeing these posts. :-( It honestly just makes me really sad. Let's just move on and move forward. I'm sure there will be plenty of great stupid content from GB in the future. :-D

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alternate: Yeah, that last one really fucked me up.

YoThatLimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Aren't you being a tad melodramatic?

teaoverlord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People keep saying that Vinny is leaving. Have they not noticed how much content Patrick started making after he moved to Chicago?

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bisonhero said:

@marokai: I still feel like not enough people appreciate how much of a blow to the site it was when Dave left. He brought an interesting PC gaming perspective, plus I think he was always really good at interacting with the community, especially in setting up the Whiskey Media Radio Show thing. That feature was a good way to give updates on where the site was headed and what premium users should expect and all that. While I give huge props to @rorie for his continued presence on the forums, I do really miss those call-in shows with Dave and Jeff that were just about the site in general, and the only thing we've really had like that was the Puppy Chat with Rorie (which was pretty good!).

I 110% agree with you. One thing I appreciated about Dave in particular was his willingness to accept and relay community feedback. Anyone remember the premium video of Brad playing The Darkness? Dave and Patrick sort of shat it up a bit throughout, and instead of getting defensive or hostile, Dave came into the comments and basically admitted "Wow, yeah guys, you're right, this wasn't our best video. We'll do better in the future."

Hell, I remember one of the first posts I made around here was about a suggestion Dave was making about having "virtual town halls" to interact with subscribers. That guy always seemed like such a common man, which made pairing him with Vinny so delightful in so many ways. Losing that was crushing, and like so many other things we've lost, it just hasn't really been adequately replaced.

JauntyHat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I hope you find what you're lookin' for out there on the internet sir!

As for everyone else

People keep saying that Vinny is leaving. Have they not noticed how much content Patrick started making after he moved to Chicago?

This pretty much sums it up. Since Patrick left he's kinda become a tour of force on the site especially for premium content users. I believe in Vinny's ability to create content. Since he's stationed out in New York with Alex hopefully, when things get settled down after the move, the two of them (and whoever else they might pick up) might be just the kick in the pants this site needs :)

Avatar image for deactivated-5e4c09d3ba1b3
deactivated-5e4c09d3ba1b3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

I'll see where this Vinny thing goes but yeah, I'm having the same feelings.

ftrevelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By ftrevelin

Oooohh the drama!

Why abandon boat now that the tides are turning? They are getting new blood, they are founding a whole new office (an office run by Vinny!), Patrick is finally getting his stuff together and his streams are "super professional" (wink wink) now! And also Drew is getting the hang of being a more proeminent figure in the site!

Stop fearing change so much people! Giant Bomb would never have happened if people were afraid of change!

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jauntyhat said:

@teaoverlord said:

This pretty much sums it up. Since Patrick left he's kinda become a tour of force on the site especially for premium content users. I believe in Vinny's ability to create content. Since he's stationed out in New York with Alex hopefully, when things get settled down after the move, the two of them (and whoever else they might pick up) might be just the kick in the pants this site needs :)

To be fair, Patrick kinda just streams whatevs from his home office, at random times of day from the morning to the evening, because he lives in an apartment with his wife and no other family, and his wife travels somewhat frequently. So sure, Vinny will start putting out video content, but doing it at home with Max around seems unlikely, so it sounds like he might set up some kind of office space for himself and Alex or something and they'll do content in a similar way to GB San Francisco.

My point is, Patrick puts out a ton of content because he's a young guy full of energy and can do things on the spur of the moment, and it's basically all solo content so he is beholden to no one's schedule (except that he generally does Spookin' when his wife is not in the apartment). Future Vinny content seems more like it will 9-5, proper office and Quick Look studio stuff. So not quite a 1:1 comparison.

AthleticShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Phew

Anyone else saw the title and thought it was another suicide?

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By ShaggE

Goodbye, Horses. (damn, I wish your username was Horses... ah well, using the joke anyway, because all I can hear when I see this thread title is "Goodbyyye duuuuudeeeerrrrs...")

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By ripelivejam

Phew

nope, just another one of those beaten-to-death GB sucks now threads

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oooohh the drama!

Why abandon boat now that the tides are turning? They are getting new blood, they are founding a whole new office (an office run by Vinny!), Patrick is finally getting his stuff together and his streams are "super professional" (wink wink) now! And also Drew is getting the hang of being a more proeminent figure in the site!

Stop fearing change so much people! Giant Bomb would never have happened if people were afraid of change!

Agreed. You should at least wait and see how things turn out before leaving. Who the hell knows what Vinny is capable of when left on his own. Literally anything could happen.

Monkeyman04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#43  Edited By Monkeyman04

I bet you were also one of those people that jumped ship at Tested with the buyout. Now look at Tested. They have never been better.

ganz32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By ganz32

Shit, Vinny will be pumping out primo content in no time, Listening to that Producers panel he just did recently gives me faith.. West coast will survive but Jeff needs a comedy partner and Brad needs someone to keep him on track...

chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By chrissedoff

It's a little bit obnoxious to make a point of ceasing to visit the site. It's like calmly throwing a temper tantrum. There has to be a less dramatic way to express misgivings about the site's current direction. It's undeniable that Ryan's passing has negatively impacted the overall quality of site content, not that anyone can be blamed for that.

That said, I agree with you that the opening of a New York satellite office manned by Vinny and Alex seems, on paper, like a fucking terrible idea. I don't for a second believe that anyone who is thinking clearly really feels that separating Vinny from Brad and Jeff will lead to better content. Sorry to anyone who's a fan of Alex Navarro, but he's just not the man to anchor a whole new stream of Giant Bomb content. The GB crew is spinning this like putting a bunch of new people in the San Francisco office would have made it too crowded and dilute the quality of their content, but that's seems like a dubious claim given the fact that they've been understaffed for a long time now, what with Patrick and Ryan going away at the same time. My own speculation is that Vinny was considering other career options because his and his wife's family live in the New York area. They badly wanted to move back to the East Coast, so they worked out a way to keep Vinny from leaving completely. It stinks because, in my opinion, assigning Vinny to produce and co-star with Alex Navarro in new video content is a waste of his talents. It makes it feel like the site is contracting, even though new hires are about to be announced soon. We're about to see a big wave of new video content that will quite possibly not be worth watching at all. Meanwhile the quality stuff from SF will shrink more and more as the lesser stuff begins to fill the void. I can just see into my own future how depressing watching the GBNY shit is going to be. Still, I'm not going to bail on the site anytime soon. I'll give all future GB content a fair shot and I'll be the first one to admit it if/when I'm proven wrong.

Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#46  Edited By Trilogy

@kortex:

I feel somewhat similar to what you're saying. I think I'm going to stick it out and see what happens though. GB is too much of a part of me at this point to just remove it from my life entirely. I'm too curious of who the new hires are. I'm also very curious about what Vinny and Alex are going to be doing. Who knows, the east coast GB might turn into my favorite part of the site. Vinny certainly is my favorite person at GB, so it wouldn't surprise me.

The truth is that nobody will EVER replace Ryan. And it WILL be very different without Vinny in the podcast and other west coast content. I'll always miss the old dream team, but that being said, there has to be a new dynamic with the site. I feel like GB has been sort of coasting for the past year, and at this point, shake-up is sort of a necessity. It could totally turn out to be dog shit if the new hires aren't funny/entertaining, or if Vinny and Alex struggle to make it work as a duo. Or, maybe this will turn into something awesome. I'm willing to stick around and see what happens. I have been drifting from the site more and more, but I've also been here since the very beginning. I'm willing to give them a chance. They've given me endless entertainment over the years, it's the absolute least I could do.

That's my standpoint anyway. Don't think I'm trying to tell you, or anyone else, what to do.

ZolRoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This site is still great and this community is awesome. That's all I will say.

Why is that all you will say?! What did we do wrong? Why wont you speak to us anymore?! YOU'RE TEARING THIS COMMUNITY APART WITH YOUR SILENCE YOU MONSTER!

Change is crazy, it can make you feel all sorts of weird, but it's not always for the worst or the better it's just different, I for one am looking forward to what's about to happen and seeing the new hires, I love the GB guys! But I didn't always love them because I didn't always know who they were. Just as I don't know who the new guy or gal will be, doesn't mean they wont turn out to be really great, and I think it's super silly to abandon a site you love without giving the change or new people a chance. Because here is the thing, it's going to happen, if you stay or go, it will happen. So why not stick around and see how it turns out. Or don't, the only loss in that case will be yours.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

@quarters said:

You're not the only one. I jumped in here going "oh, God, no" and then found out that he just doesn't find the site as appealing as he once did.

But yes, I would encourage checking in every now and then if only to see what Vinny and Alex are doing in New York.

Considering the amount of this kind of topic we've had on here same response. The title could have been worded better like "Thanks for the memories Giantbomb!"

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Translation: I want attention.

Jorbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Jorbit

Phew

wait... ANOTHER suicide? What?