• 65 results
Posted by sparky_buzzsaw (8844 posts) -

That's a dreadful title, isn't it? I love it.

Anyways, the long and short of it is that I've handed in my moderating badge. That's right, the people's moderator is no more. There's really no drama behind it all, so before Internet tongues start a-wagging, I want to get out in front and tell you it's just simply because I need to focus on my writing and my personal health. I'm already sitting in front of a computer screen for eight hours or so a day writing and editing - and that's at a minimum. I'm down nearly forty pounds since February and in my free time, I need to be exercising more and getting out and socializing in the real world.

It's been a real honor and a pleasure working with the moderation team and Rorie these past few years. As much shit as we give each other, they are simply some of the best individuals I've ever had the pleasure of talking with on the Internet. I've seen some really great moments with them, and some truly shitty stuff that never seemed to end. Rorie is, without question, one of the great backbones to this site, and he does so much more damn work than you see on the front end of things. It's astonishing how much personal time he and the moderators have given up to doing this job.

I won't be leaving the site permanently - I said this to the mods, but I've been here nearly from the start and I'll see this place through to its very end (hopefully in the year 2250 or something). I'm hugely fond of this community and I look forward to many more bullshitting sessions when I'm supposed to be working on the next novel. That said though, my time here has already been drastically reduced since February and I expect that trend to continue. If you'd like to stay in better contact with me, I'd recommend looking me up on Twitter - linked elsewhere on my profile, I believe.

And no, I will never, ever stop telling Zeep that his taste in everything is complete and utter bullshit. Some things are just never going to change.

#1 Posted by Nightriff (7193 posts) -

Thanks for being a great moderator over the years

#2 Posted by Relkin (1142 posts) -

Thanks for the work, Sparky. Appreciate it.

#3 Posted by SpaceInsomniac (6353 posts) -

Thanks for all the work you did here. It was definitely appreciated.

#4 Posted by sparky_buzzsaw (8844 posts) -
#5 Posted by FlashFlood_29 (4403 posts) -

See ya later, duder! <>

#6 Posted by Humanity (18637 posts) -

Always thought you were a pretty good mod that kept a level head and didn't talk down to people.

Best of luck with your health and hopefully we'll still see you around the forums!

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
#7 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (3651 posts) -

You are moving to Vice aren't you?

#8 Posted by JohnLocke (751 posts) -

Thanks for what you have done for the community. I hope you stick around but regardless all the best. The mod team here do a great job and probably get very little thanks for the efforts put in.

#9 Posted by conmulligan (1894 posts) -

Thanks, Sparky!

#10 Posted by joshth (720 posts) -

Thanks for the work you've provided for GB!

#11 Posted by Rorie (5672 posts) -

@sparky_buzzsaw: Don't be a stranger! Certainly hope things turn out for the best for you. You've been a great help over the past few years and I'll be sorry not to see you behind the scenes.

Staff
#12 Posted by TheHT (15812 posts) -

Godspeed duder! Thanks for your work here over the years.

#13 Edited by sparky_buzzsaw (8844 posts) -

Hah! No, but the timing's pretty great.

And thanks, everybody! The love is much appreciated.

#14 Posted by Monkeyman04 (2792 posts) -

o7

"I look forward to many more bullshitting sessions when I'm supposed to be working on the next novel."

Maybe this will motivate you. ;)

Loading Video...

#15 Edited by Mister_V (2441 posts) -

"And when he gets to Heven,

To St Rorie he will tell;

One more moderator reporting, Sir.

I've served my time in Hell!!"

Best of luck dude. Thanks for giving up so much time keeping us chuckleheads in line.

#16 Edited by ColossalGhost (240 posts) -

Thanks for the great work over the years. It has been greatly appreciated.

#17 Posted by Stonyman65 (3804 posts) -

Thanks for all the hard work duder! 'til next time.

#18 Posted by Akyho (2130 posts) -

@sparky_buzzsaw: Sounds fair. I have been a mod for a forums and it was not overbearing but it is a little extra with the forums I modded being like 10k members and only 20 active at max. Then there is some chatrooms I have modded which that can be a full focus for an hour or two, some modships can be a bit tough....yours however is a big site with thousands of users active hundreds of threads active and whatever else I do not know behind the scenes. You're not the only mod...but you are A mod, so gotta pull your weight and I do not want to think about the weight you have to pull around here.

It sounds like a fair time and reason to step back and go "I need some me time." you have given alot of your time to the forums and in my findings the modding and general community is one of the better ones on the internet...and we are on the filth that is the internet.

You do what you have to do duder and make a good life with the new found time and good luck.

#19 Posted by ArbitraryWater (15683 posts) -

Keep on keeping on Sparky. I certainly wouldn't have lasted very long if I was a moderator, even on a site as usually chill as Giant Bomb.

And I dunno about everything ZombiePie liking being bullshit. He and I both agree that Kill La Kill isn't very good!

#20 Posted by Mirado (2557 posts) -

@sparky_buzzsaw: Thanks for coming up with funky ass shit like every single day.

#21 Posted by UpperDecker (572 posts) -

@sparky_buzzsaw I will miss you brother. Goodbye. I wish I could have got to know you better and now you are gone. Too Soon. Too Soon.

#22 Posted by sparky_buzzsaw (8844 posts) -

@sparky_buzzsaw I will miss you brother. Goodbye. I wish I could have got to know you better and now you are gone. Too Soon. Too Soon.

If only there was some other place we could meet up. Like Chuck's Oriental Palace. Oh well.

#23 Posted by Lanechanger (1678 posts) -

@jonny_anonymous said:

Hah! No, but the timing's pretty great.

And thanks, everybody! The love is much appreciated.

Will you be doing your writing in a RV at least?

Thanks for keeping the peace and making this site a better place for us to be communicating in for all these years and for hanging out in the FGC events!

#24 Posted by sparky_buzzsaw (8844 posts) -

@lanechanger: I actually do know a bestseller who writes his books while traveling cross country in an RV. Nick Russell, he writes a series called the Big Lake mysteries as well as a travelogue type newsletter.

@arbitrarywater:Don't tell him I said this, but that dude knows a lot about history and he's pretty all right at dumbing it down for me. But still, his fondness for ketchup on things is downright disturbing. Disturbing!

#25 Posted by DevourerOfTime (705 posts) -
No Caption Provided

#26 Edited by geirr (3751 posts) -
#27 Posted by rmanthorp (4632 posts) -

See Ya Space Buzzsaw! Was a pleasure serving with you.

#28 Posted by flasaltine (2544 posts) -

First Austin, then Dan, now sparky_buzzsaw. What a year. RIP.

#29 Posted by dudeglove (13707 posts) -

The real joke will actually be that Brad will be the only one left.

Avatar image for redhotchilimist
#30 Posted by Redhotchilimist (2954 posts) -

Thanks for the work, Sparky! I don't think we ever interacted, but I always liked seeing you around. Good luck on your writing.

#31 Posted by sparky_buzzsaw (8844 posts) -

First Austin, then Dan, now sparky_buzzsaw. What a year. RIP.

I'm not leaving the site! Promise!

#32 Posted by Marty20k (254 posts) -

You done good duder, good luck on that fitness and writing!

#33 Posted by ShaggE (9233 posts) -

With so much drama in the GBC, I'm sure it's hard being a moderator named Sparky. But somehow, someway, you locked some spammy ass threads like every single day.

#34 Posted by Snail (8908 posts) -

Thanks for all your work, congratulations on dropping those pounds, and good luck with your real life endeavors!

#35 Posted by sparky_buzzsaw (8844 posts) -

@shagge: Somebody should have locked the thread after this because there's no better way to close it out.

#36 Posted by Klarion18 (200 posts) -

Never met you or interacted with you but you guys do a thankless job.

So thanks!

#37 Posted by kasaioni (2397 posts) -

o7 Your story, your debriefing, will endure only in our hearts.

#38 Posted by Fredchuckdave (10824 posts) -

Good work Sparky, hopefully you still stop by the GB Fight Club randomly.

#39 Posted by Naoiko (1676 posts) -

Thanks for all your hard work dude! I hope to still see ya around Miitomo =)

#40 Posted by sparky_buzzsaw (8844 posts) -

@fredchuckdave: Yeah, definitely. Like I say, I'm not going to be entirely absent from the site and when Tekken drops, I suspect I'll be in to bullshit with you guys about that. And the best cookies, which are still and will always be soft, chewy chocolate chip.

#41 Posted by bobafettjm (2306 posts) -

Thanks for all you have done for this site and community!

#42 Edited by dovah (705 posts) -

Wow. Congrats on your achievement of losing weight and moving onto a more active life. I'm sure being a mod here from the beginning was stressful and intense, but what an incredible ride you've been on. Those guys from GameSpot turns out they are insanely smart and talented. Must have been great to be a part of this site from the beginning. (Edit: as a member is great too!)

Thanks for all you put into this site and much respect.

#43 Posted by sparky_buzzsaw (8844 posts) -

@dovah: Didn't mean to give the impression I've been a moderator since the beginning, just a member. And, uh, Gamespot, not Game Informer, but the Game Informer guys were pretty cool too!

#44 Posted by BallsLeon (554 posts) -

You're replacing Dan huh?

#45 Posted by Mikemcn (8569 posts) -

Health and what you like to do most are important, good luck duder, glad to know you'll still be around.

#46 Posted by Dalai (7869 posts) -

Have fun on that RV trip with JV and the gang!

#47 Posted by Dixavd (2894 posts) -

Thanks for all the hard work. I followed you on twitter. I'd like to say I'll check out your writing, but I'll probably never get around to it (Austin's back-catalogue has been on my radar for months for instance). I followed you on twitter though. Keep on doing what makes you happy and healthy though. The Giant Bomb community will be sure to love seeing you around whenever possible <3

#48 Posted by hassun (9916 posts) -

People often underestimate the work of moderators. It may seem great at first and a position of power can be enticing but putting in all the hours and the work is another thing.

Time is very valuable and so is health. Go forth and have a good time, sparky_buzzsaw!

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
#49 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (7830 posts) -

Thanks duder for all the stuff you've done for the site. I wish you the very best in your future endevours.

#50 Posted by dovah (705 posts) -