Gotta start somewhere (figure/plush collection)

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

My sister bought me a Mikasa for my birthday and with that I can finally say I have a collection. Why are the good figures so much money?

No Caption Provided

cozmicaztaway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Because the good ones aren't terrible. Gratz on the collection

Ravelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

The good ones have some work put in to them, cheap ones are a 5 minute patch work.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

If this turns into a thread about posting figures and collections, we had one before and it was shut down because of figures in sexually suggestive/explicit poses and clothing, mostly anime characters and fighting game characters. So if people want this thread to live, avoid posting anything like that.

As for the OP, figures are mostly a niche product (particularly in the west), you're not selling mass produced Barbie dolls or Transformers (both of which also have expensive collectors variants). Then things like detail, articulation and build quality all add to the price. And if you're in the west there's probably an import tax being weighed in.

cloudnineboya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

off to a great start then, that dragon is wearing no clothes.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Oh, that is a nice Discord indeed.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By Corevi

I have a few figures I've collected over the years:

Revoltech Naked Jehuty, Figuarts Kamen Rider W CycloneJoker, Figuarts Kamen Rider Wizard Flame Style and Medicos Killer Queen (White).

I also have a cheap Nova Prime figure with them but that only cost me 12 bucks at Target.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

If this turns into a thread about posting figures and collections, we had one before and it was shut down because of figures in sexually suggestive/explicit poses and clothing, mostly anime characters and fighting game characters. So if people want this thread to live, avoid posting anything like that.

As for the OP, figures are mostly a niche product (particularly in the west), you're not selling mass produced Barbie dolls or Transformers (both of which also have expensive collectors variants). Then things like detail, articulation and build quality all add to the price. And if you're in the west there's probably an import tax being weighed in.

$100+ figures just seems crazy to me because when all that factors that go into setting the price are considered you can bet that the vast majority of the price is not going towards production, shipping, or anything tangible. It's like the price of anime Blu-rays being insane.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

I was almost into collecting figures for like...a month or something. It wasn't the money that scared me away (though that did help haha). it was the goddamn space. I bought a Supergirl (200-fucking-dollars) and an Ayane (NInja Gaiden/DOA) statue and had pretty much nowhere to put the damn things. Sideshow Collectibles has a really cool Power Girl coming out soon that I might pick up and there's this $40-50 Samus action figure I've had my eye on for a while, but other than those, I can't see myself starting what I would call a collection.