GOTY 2022 - Metal Edition

daavpuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

User Lists: 12

Edited By daavpuke

I've already completed my picks for GOTY 2022. I think that you'll find them to be the best choices on this site. All other games are inferior. However, Giant Bomb has surprised us with some list variations this year. So, inspired by the works of Jan and Tam, I will be transforming some games into alternate media as well.

I've picked ten games and paired them with their metal track counterparts. Partially, this comes from hearing this year's discussion around Metal: Hellsinger. A lot of praise went to how solid the soundtrack is, which I couldn't have disagreed with more, as an avid fan of music that is loud as shit. A bunch of tired, generic metal might work well in a video game, where you don't want to engage too closely with the music, but it does not do well for standing on its own. I originally was going to use a more general counterculture method, but I feel that would open games up to a lot of strange interpretations. Is Stray a shoegaze game? Is using a riot grrrl track for River City Girls too cliché? I don't wanna think about that. Likely, people are already going to dissect what constitutes being metal. In broad terms, any of the many subgenres will do, from nu metal to deathcore. If there are vaguely crunching guitars, we're good. I drew the line at the intersection where metalcore becomes more punk than metal. It's still pretty wide.

I should also clarify: These are not my choices. You'll find those picks in the aforementioned list. You'd know that if you read the list. Why didn't you read the list? And so forth and so on.

These games are generally acclaimed releases of 2022 that you could find on most lists. They're from The Game Awards (TGA) method of rounding up nominees. If you've heard of the game, it's on there; whether you think Diablo Immortal was a good mobile game or not. That's an actual TGA nominee, by the way.

I hope you are ready…to rock:

Elden Ring (Wormrot - Weeping Willow)

God of War: Ragnarok (After The Burial - Lost in the Static)

Vampire Survivors (Origin - Antithesis)

Neon White (The Mad Capsule Markets - Restart!)

(Japan tends to take these down, if you're seeing this in the future and the video is missing)

Kirby and the Forgotten Land (Babymetal - iine!)

Xenoblade Chronicles 3 (Maximum the Hormone - Maximum the Hormone)

Immortality (Born from Pain - Immortality)

I know this one is on the nose, but this is a killer song, okay?

Pentiment (Rise and Fall - Forked Tongues)

Tunic (The Ghost Inside - Destined)

Cult of the Lamb (Lamb of God - Laid to Rest)